• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ys45

Oct 25, 2017
Weekly Era Jim Sterling salt gives me life.

Games he recently enjoyed:
Spider-Man
DQ XI
Octo Path
Detroit
Donut County

But no no, he hates everything and is old man yelling at cloud lol

Never said he hated all games but whatever, I was just saying that it must affect your MORAL by surrounding yourself with so many negative stuff like all the people hating on him for his opinions and talking about shitty practices from the gaming industry.

No need to become all defensive you know, but that will teach me to give my opinion on something on this forum without getting passive aggressive replies.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
God damn the holier than though attitude of some people in this thread is unbelievable at times. You cant seem to defend someone without having to put the people who diss him into a position beneath you. It's pathetic, GAF lives on.

There is not one person who is actually debating Jim's points he made in the video. Not one.

Pata Hikari

Banned
Jan 15, 2018
I don't even agree with Sterling's tastes in video games but lmao at people so mad about him existing that they discard his ad free videos as "clickbait"

Deleted member 5864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
God damn the holier than though attitude of some people in this thread is unbelievable at times. You cant seem to defend someone without having to put the people who diss him into a position beneath you. It's pathetic, GAF lives on.
This guy....

He seems to just want to be a controversial muppet, and people like it for some wierd reason
Truly the personification of 'leading by example', lol.

Can you guys not just put your foot in your mouths every other second?

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There was a time when that statement would be correct but having seen some of the comments in the review thread I think 2015 drastically changed things as far as this franchise goes.

It's a shame.

Yeah maybe it did. Before the review thread it seemed like only neoraider gave a shit about this game on here with most threads about it going ignored or having a mixed reaction towards the game. Then all of a sudden there's dozens of people coming out of nowhere and reacting like this in defense of the game. It kind of caught me by surprise I guess.

It's this weird review reactions thing that has been plaguing this hobby for years. People become so invested in games they've never played months and months in advance, posting in hype threads, changing their avatars, that someone not liking it suddenly flips their entire world upside down. This place sort of fosters that bullshit with the hype thread -> review thread cycle which serve little purpose other than to feed into this.

This is true too. I've always disliked the hype culture going back to my time on Gaf, where I felt like OTs were considered "safe" havens and no dissent was allowed. Not by the mods, but by the crowd there who would try to shout away anyone who said something bad. Then of course the pre-release hype threads where everyone wants to paste their avatar on a hype train...that always rubbed me the wrong way. That kind of excitement clouds judgement and critical thinking and it leads to things going wrong when reviews come in and are lower than expected.

This thread and other recent Jim Sterling threads provide fuck all information in the OP except an embed of a video and notice that a video is out,. which has zero basis for discussion and is basically just promotion that would be better suited in a Jim Sterling OT community thread, if people are really that upset that people don't come in and just go "Yup, nailed it, Jim fucking sterling son" etc.

It's almost like people have to watch the video before commenting! There's nothing wrong with disagreeing with him but surely we can be mature about it instead of going "he hates everything" "he's a paid troll" and all that. His 3/10 for batman origins is a review that I couldn't disagree with any harder than I do but I didn't let it get personal.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
People excited about a game are interested in engaging in discussion about all aspects of said game.

You're entire perspective on this is bizzare to me. People like what they like, each to their own.

We have threads on internet forums where people spend their time discussing boxart. That's something I couldn't give less shits about, something I cannot understand the appeal of discussing. But people who are interested in that stuff are perfectly entitled to engage in that discussion and who are we to try to judge or shame them for it?

Nowhere did I say people shouldn't be allowed to discuss whatever they want to. But I do believe that the sort of toxicity that can come out of those threads can bleed into other parts of the forum, as evidenced by this very thread and others. People can like what they like, sure. But the idea that some people are so bothered by another person's harmless opinion on a video game that if actively makes the discourse on this forum worse at times is a problem.

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017

It's a sad fact that Jim's threads on the old site were a lot more civil. You probably would've been banned for your dismissive first post. I hope the mods look at this thread and other Jim threads in the future because they could go a lot better than they currently do.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
Nowhere did I say people shouldn't be allowed to discuss whatever they want to. But I do believe that the sort of toxicity that can come out of those threads can bleed into other parts of the forum, as evidenced by this very thread and others. People can like what they like, sure. But the idea that some people are so bothered by another person's harmless opinion on a video game that if actively makes the discourse on this forum worse at times is a problem.

As evident in just about all review thread meltdowns.

That almost always happen to a tee. Without fail.

Oct 28, 2017

Jesus, how pathetic can you get. You were one the first shitposters in this thread already talking shit about him without even watching his video. Talk about holier than thou indeed.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah maybe it did. Before the review thread it seemed like only neoraider gave a shit about this game on here with most threads about it going ignored or having a mixed reaction towards the game. Then all of a sudden there's dozens of people coming out of nowhere and reacting like this in defense of the game. It kind of caught me by surprise I guess.

plenty of us were excited for Shadow, because I was in most of those threads too, as well as others.
It's an AAA sequel to a game that sold 7-8 million copies. Just because a game doesn't have several dozens long threads about changing our avatars, doesn't mean it doesn't have people anticipating it.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Assuming you're not joking, NXGamer did a fair breakdown of Jim's points on just the last page.
(Which isn't to say the person you responded to wasn't out of line)

Thanks for your post, I'll take a look.

Edit: I do see some of where people are coming from. Concentrating on rare glitches may be a bit disingenuous, but that post's argument seems to be echoed in this thread and many others about Jim: they don't like his tone and the fact that he can be negative at times. I think highlighting what MS has done with BC is something that could be done, but I don't disagree with Jim's video about the Xbox really. Perhaps that's my own biases coming in.

Perturabo

Oct 27, 2017
Couldn't last more than 2 minutes, he is annoying as fuck. And he is trying way to hard.
After playing just two hours of Shadow, everything feels better than previous two games.
So the user with the tomb raider profile picture and username related to tomb raider is upset that someone says the game is only alright?

I'm shocked.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Always had a slight itch to play these TR games, but never have. This one, from what I've gathered along with Jim's impressions, looks like it would probably bore me.

Raylan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Jim says some things are just off. Well, I agree. Everything I've seen of SotTR looks meh. And I kinda liked the first one (reboot) in 2013.
I just want to add:

Looking at first 2 pages of this thread, i realized that my post really wasn't much different compared to majority of other posts also having "negative" connotation. For some reason (i am pretty sure that i know why)
Because you are well known, on multiple boards, to defend anything Tomb Raider at all costs, without allowing any criticism?

Rejam

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This guy....

He seems to just want to be a controversial muppet, and people like it for some wierd reason
There really isn't anything controversial about this video, which is what the thread is about.

He says he liked the previous ones in the reboot but his opinion on this one is pretty close to how I feel about the whole reboot.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
This is Jim's schtick. To produce toxic content that perpetuates the toxic culture in gaming and on NeoGaf and ResetEra. We have people attacking each other all over the place in this thread. It's gross. Stop giving this guy attention.

Is there a moderator in particular I can message to ask that this thread is closed?

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018

But you forgot to mention that when you have threads with trailers showing how good the game looks, how they improved things since E3, how they included great difficulty options, NG+, Photo Mode... etc. With only few posts and few pages at most.

But then you have reviews thread with few low score reviews and now this with who knows how many hate posts and ppl shitting on the game calling it bad, mediocre etc. But i am the one being biased... i guess it's good to try to balance the things...

Boy Wander

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
UK

Quite a few of the posts that "diss" him have absolutely no substance and deserve to be ripped to shreds. It's not about being holier than thou, it's about pointing out how stupid it is to come into a thread and shit on someone, without so much as even referencing what was said in a review, when if you listened to the review, it basically boils down to "Decent, serviceable game but I expected a bit more from it". Imagine if people did that in every thread that was created.

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
I'll check the video out when I'm home.

From what I've seen it's not as good as the reboot

~Fake

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fair game deserve a fair score. Still hope for another reboot to be good.
edit: wow at people bashing his opinion.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
What? That's post just disagreed with him and then said Jim's opinion was lazy journalism.

Yeah more wordy and yet all the same as the rest.

You're saying you don't think this is someone debating Jim's points?

NXGamer said:
He complains that it centres on exploring, stealth, swinging and stealing from Tombs, not a surprise, Some things are obviously just a part of the game. In this video he makes his first 30 seconds on a small glitch that can (and does) happen in a great deal of games, minor but would be a better and more creative joke to work it INTO the video. He shortly states the previous games had solid combat, which they certainly did not, in fact I would say it was one of the weaker parts of Rise and caused many issues hence why I think they have paired back on them here AND added in the stealth. This video just seemed like a fast (dare I day Lazy) low effort journalism. I hope that explains my point better?

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
Jim says some things are just off. Well, I agree. Everything I've seen of SotTR looks meh. And I kinda liked the first one (reboot) in 2013.

Because you are well known, on multiple boards, to defend anything Tomb Raider at all costs, without allowing any criticism?

Actually i usually don't have a problem with criticism, don't know why you think that i have a problem?
I have a problem with some criticism, just like many other ppl do. And i am allowed to give my opinion on it.

Deleted member 8777

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is Jim's schtick. To produce toxic content that perpetuates the toxic culture in gaming and on NeoGaf and ResetEra. We have people attacking each other all over the place in this thread. It's gross. Stop giving this guy attention.
Or just make a Jim Sterling general where people can post and discuss every new video. Once you take away the clickbait titles you'll be left with the 5 people who actually care about his opinions, discussing his opinions. It's a win win.

cheesekao

Dec 1, 2017

Is there a moderator in particular I can message to ask that this thread is closed?
He seems pretty civil and level headed in the video. Which part of it do you consider toxic?

gimbles123

Oct 27, 2017
Literally all reviews and opinions are subjective.

It is literally part of their definition.

Claiming he is wrong because what he is said is subjectively is not even an argument.

No need to get up in arms, I never used the word wrong. I disagree with the points made in the video, and I provided context for my counterpoint.

Cokie Bear

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

What was toxic about the video exactly? "It's fine, not bad by any means" is toxic?

I think the toxicity comes from people who simply can't deal with the fact that not everyone likes the same games they like.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
What exactly is controversial or inflammatory of this video? I'm watching the video right now and the first thing he literally says is "Shadow of the Tomb Raider is...fine. It's okay. It's alright. It's not a bad game by any stretch of the imagination." That doesn't seem like shitting on the game to me...

Even if he didn't like it, what exactly is the problem? So he's a guy that played a video game and didn't like it, what's the issue with that? I mean Breath of the Wild is my favorite game of all time, but I get that he didn't like it as much as me. He didn't even hate that one, he just didn't like it as much as everyone else. I don't agree with his review of BotW, but why should we be calling for his head over that? I mean I have an "outlandish" personal opinion that Star Fox Zero is the best game in the series, but you would be hard pressed to find anyone that agrees with me or even thinks that game is good, and I totally get where those people are coming from. I don't accuse everyone else of shitting on the game.

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017

No, this is not "Jim's shtick." It seems more like a vocal minority of y'all's schtick honestly to attack everything Jim Sterling for some reason. The problem is not with Jim's content and never was. The problem is with the members here on era that can't even be bothered to watch the actual content before popping in the thread saying stupid shit about Jim Sterling's character. Like the first poster in this thread and everyone else attacking his character and not talking about the actual content.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

So reviewing games is a schtick? Reviews are toxic content? And Jim Sterling is somehow to blame for grown ass adults behaving like children?

And on top of that you wish this thread closed instead of just not posting in it.

I don't even understand how some of y'all minds work tbh. Please do contact a mod about it. At least someone will have a hearty laugh.

~Fake

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Its funny people bashing Jim opinion, but the same people in the EDGE review thread defending so hard DQ score/difficult balance.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
Yeah look at everyone jumping down my throat for suggesting that Jim's videos are toxic and designed to stir up shit, there's no problem here at all.

Deleted member 11421

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What was toxic about the video exactly? "It's fine, not bad by any means" is toxic?

I think the toxicity comes from people who simply can't deal with the fact that not everyone likes the same games they like.

Most people don't read threads, watch the videos, etc.

The title and its connotations are often all they care about, and, well, you can see that here especially.

Cokie Bear

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah look at everyone jumping down my throat for suggesting that Jim's videos are toxic and designed to stir up shit, there's no problem here at all.
Can you explain what you think is toxic about the video?

The problem is people throwing out statements like you did without actually watching the video first.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
After watching the video it seems this game has much less combat, but lots more exploration, so if you were unhappy with the direction the reboot went in and liked the original games better, then this might be something you should check out.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
Based on my time with it so far, it really is. I've had a smile on my face constantly playing the game, I love it. Sometimes I feel so disconnected from critics. And yes, I played the first games (on PC!) back in the 90s.

Why? Because they don't agree with you?

People need to stop thinking that critics should agree with you no matter what. Ignoring that humans like different things.

Is it that hard to look at an opinion and think 'he doesn't like X thing but I do like X and he says there is a lot of X'

And put two and two togther that while that person might not like something, their argument of why is a positive for you? And also to look for critics that have similar tastes.

That is what reviews and opinions on products are for! Reflection and observation.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
This whole reboot could be summarized by "competent but boring".
These are perfectly fine video games but people are trying to make them some timeless masterpieces.

Deleted member 42686

Banned
Apr 26, 2018
The only part I felt forced was near at end with that laugh about the pun(sounds annoying). The rest seems reasonable ok.

Lol are people really watching the video or making drama as if they got their feelings hurted because of criticism?

cheesekao

Dec 1, 2017
No, not with the lazy journalism jab tacked on at the end for absolutely no reason.

I don't tolerate the lazy dev argument and I don't tolerate this one.
I want to add that his statement "He shortly states the previous games had solid combat, which they certainly did not" seems to imply that it's a fact, not a opinion. If it is indeed his opinion he didn't do a good job of phrasing it as such.

Kraken3dfx

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
Just watched the video, his sentiment is what I've heard from more than a couple of people who played the game, it's fine, but it's not special, and the water stuff is overused. I loved the first 2 games, and I'll play this one, but I was never a huge fan of the water traversal stuff, so knowing that they leaned so heavily into it is definitely a negative for me personally.

I don't get it, did he mention you personally in the video in some derogatory way? It's "toxic" because it's not your opinion? He says many times that the game is fine, doesn't really bring anything new to the series, and probably falls back on some gameplay mechanics and ideas too much that it maybe shouldn't have. There is nothing in that video that I would call toxic, but if you'd like to point out specifics, I'll consider them.

Last edited:

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

No one's jumping down your throat. People asked what you meant by toxic. Which you are avoiding to respond btw. Stop this disingenuous victim bullshit mate. The only problem here are people like you who are too childish to understand the concept of different opinions and get hurt by them.

JFC