• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
TBH I just can't wait for gamepass to achieve sufficient PC game saturation so I can subscribe. A few more crossplay exclusives should do. Maybe when Forza 4 drops.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
Saying Microsoft is behaving more like a AAA 3rd party publisher is really on point. They put too much stock in the appeal of each individual title instead of creating a library that has wide appeal.

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
No. The goal of the (a lot of) articles isnt/wasnt to fan the flames, thats just the end result. The goal is to make revenue.

SO, if you want to generate a ton of traffic (and who doesnt, right?), write a fluff piece about ps4 or something derogatory about xbox. Hell, even if it's a positive article about xb, why not throw in something negative or write a baity headline or just frame good news as bad.
The media bias strikes again, eh? God forbid the media is down on a product that has performed poorly for legitimate reasons. All about them clicks. No truth to be found.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
No. The goal of the (a lot of) articles isnt/wasnt to fan the flames, thats just the end result. The goal is to make revenue.

SO, if you want to generate a ton of traffic (and who doesnt, right?), write a fluff piece about ps4 or something derogatory about xbox. Hell, even if it's a positive article about xb, why not throw in something negative or write a baity headline or just frame good news as bad.
Or, they are just honest opinions.

You have already been warned for thread whining. Either engage with the content of the thread or step away, attacking the credibility or motives of the source isn't a constructive path to go down.

uzipukki

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Or maybe, just maybe, there are flaws with the X1 and articles are wise to point that out. And let's not pretend every article has been a fluff piece for the PS4.

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT
The media bias strikes again, eh? God forbid the media is down on a product that has performed poorly for legitimate reasons. All about them clicks. No truth to be found.

Look at my history - I hold MS to task for effing up royally as much as anyone should. But talk to more casual gamers and you can maybe get a feel for the damage to discourse it has done, and maybe as bad, the sheer mind-numbing amount of misinformation floating around in the public there is. It hurts the hobby as a whole, as bad as having "hooray my team at all costs" be as pervasive as it is.

EDIT: My contention in all of this isnt about the content, it's the framing and how it drives the conversation.

Last edited:

TuMekeNZ

Oct 27, 2017
Auckland, New Zealand
This thread is a mess, but maybe we can have a reasonable conversation about this point: No, they don't. MS gets a ton more revenue from an Xbox owner than they do from a PC user that buys their published games on that platform.

If the Windows Store had become a serious Digital storefront, this might be a different conversation.
Plus they lose all the XBL Gold revenue on PC for games with MP.

Daouzin

Oct 28, 2017
Arizona
As someone that had to buy a 2nd Xbox One because my first Xbox One broke mysteriously. I agree with pretty much all his points.

I basically use it to play old games and that's about it. So glad they keep adding games to the back catalog. I still need to get around to playing Panzar Dragoon Orta.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If it was "the ps4/switch is a bit shit" it wouldnt have gone past page one, so to answer, I have no clue, it hasnt been productive or useful...
Huh? On this very forum, Sony crossplay threads usually get infested with "fuck you Sony" posters and the threads stay open. With Switch, "Nintendo gaming way too expensive because barely any price drops", "Switch lineup still bad", etc, threads stay open. Don't act like a victim here. So many people here dish out criticisms but can't take any themselves. You say the thread hasn't been productive, right? Yet there are posters agreeing with Sterling here and writing out big posts with their own criticisms too, but you'd rather pretend those don't exist so you can say the thread is useless. It's pretty normal to describe faults as shitty, so I don't see why "a bit shit" bothers you. It's not like that's all he said anyways.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty much agree with Sterling and don't see how anyone can't. Exclusives wise, PS4 is simply slaughtering Xbox One. For Microsoft, Spencer and Xbox fans, myself included, it's not about Xbox One anymore. Instead, it's all about Xbox 4. Launching in March 2020 with Halo Infinite would be one hell of a head start in trying to gain back all of that momentum that they gained with Xbox 360 but lost five years ago with Xbox One.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Look at my history - I hold MS to task for effing up royally as much as anyone should. But talk to more casual gamers and you can maybe get a feel for the damage to discourse it has done, and maybe as bad, the sheer mind-numbing amount of misinformation floating around in the public there is. It hurts the hobby as a whole, as bad as having "hooray my team at all costs" be as pervasive as it is.

EDIT: My contention in all of this isnt about the content, it's the framing and how it drives the conversation.
What hurts this hobby more than anything is Microsofts often EAesque approach to game publishing. They certainly have the money to be better than that. They don't need to nickel and dime gamers with crappy GaaS stuff. And they have done soo much better in the past. The first XBox was a really cool and unique console software wise.

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
The Xbox One is one of the worst console experiences I've ever had. I was a huge 360 fan but they really messed up the one. Messy, slow, confusing dashboard with ads still everywhere. Even if it was less powered they still could have made great games but there just haven't been that many great exclusives. Halo and Gears don't get me excited anymore, I want new franchises. You can't keep rehashing the same ip for decades.

Yeah, same here. I could still kick myself for getting the 500€ X1 with Kinect on day one.
Funny thing is, back in late 2013/ early 2014 the games lineup of the X1 actually looked pretty good (some may even say better than PS4's):

- Titanfall was touted as the "COD Killer"
- there was a ton of potential in Sunset Overdrive
- Halo and Gears weren't "washed up IP's" yet

Meanwhile Bloodborne, Persona 5, Nioh, Uncharted 4, God of War etc. weren't even announced yet (IIRC).

5 years later..... ooooh boy was I wrong.

SK4TE

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
I hope next gen Xbox stops putting games on PC, just call it another failed PC experiment.

Apath

Oct 25, 2017
I am going to skirt around the majority of the content of the video and echo Jim's complaints on the interface. As someone who just bought an Xbox One S and already have a Switch and PS4, I find the interface incredibly obtuse and unintuitive. The majority of the content, to me, appears to be advertisements or links to purchase more junk. I appreciate the main tab being content that I want and customizable, but it is so cluttered with very little uniformity in design that my eyes kind of glaze over trying to navigate around it.

I wish they would focus purely on bringing the best possible user experience to the system rather than devoting so many resources to ensure users are constantly bombarded with incentive to spend more money.

Oct 27, 2017
It's not a bad system, but it also gives me no reason to own one. Especially with the generation winding down.

I may get the Xbox 4 before a PS5, however. We shall see what happens in the coming years

Xeontech

Oct 28, 2017
Agree with the OS complaints, can't stand it really.

Had a few outstanding games, but still haven't seen this gens 'gears' or 'halo'

The system just started off in a rocky place that it never quite got out of, even with the most powerful hardware. That jaguar just ruined the potential.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Finding it hard not to disagree with Jim and it's pretty much the same reasons why I still haven't brought an Xbox One this gen.

Sony and Nintendo are doing the stuff that interests me, quality single player games, while Microsoft just hasn't got a lot of games I want to play and the few games that I do want, I can now play on PC.

Necron

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Can't disagree with the content of the video, however, no new insights were gained. I believe we knew all of this already. I have a feeling things will be much better when "Xbox 4" arrives.

True Prophecy

Oct 28, 2017
I often don't understand how people are usually very against the idea of "console wars" and yet this thread seems to be full on validation of the concept, It's not like the Switch or PS4 is without faults or that the things he covered are not already known with MS working on them. The entirely subjective view on the OS is whatever, I personally find it very easy to use with it only getting better with each update, working in the IT service industry people struggle with the most basic of operating system changes but its usually overcome with you know actually using it.

My issue here is less with what's being said as WHY it's being said.

Why would any of this even need to be pointed at this juncture? Microsoft shit the bed this gen and fucked up so hard they handed Sony the ability to say "we're not doing ANYTHING DIFFERENT....except charging you for our poor online service that we still haven't upgraded" to standing ovation. Day ONE they were fucked. Everybody knows this happened. Everybody knows they're playing catch up. Everybody knows they have nothing to offer someone with a powerful PC. Everybody knows their first party is a shit show. Everybody HAS known these things. And I say all this as someone who has used Xbox as their primary console since the OG. He's literally saying nothing that hasn't been said a million times before. He's right, but we've all know this for a long time, some of it for literal YEARS.

It just seems like he didn't have much to go on this week, so he decided to rail on something he knew would get people upset, but wouldn't be legitimately controversial.

100% agreed.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
I hope next gen Xbox stops putting games on PC, just call it another failed PC experiment.

Why would you actively wish for a huge chunk of people being left out? What would be the positive?

If anything, they should lean on PC a lot more. Leave Sony to their walled garden they've been getting so much flak for. That's *definitely* not the future of video games.

ethomaz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Santa Albertina
They get 30% from the 1st party games they publish on their PC store.

There aren't less games to play. That's ludicrous. You are just saying less exclusives.

Open means cross play and play anywhere. Xbox is a way more open platform.
They get way more than 30% from 1st party games but that is the same for Xbox games... it is indifferent if brought on PC or Xbox.

But look at what these scenarios:

Gamer options per year with Xbox exclusives:
+ 1 exclusive first-party revenue on Xbox
+ 2 multiplatform revenue from Xbox
+ 1 Xbox Live revenue

Gamer options per years without Xbox exclusives:
+ 1 first-party revenue on PC
- 2 multiplatform revenue (typical gamer will buy in Steam)
- 1 Xbox Live revenue (you don't need that in OC)

See how much you lost putting your game on PC? That strategy will only works if Windows Store was not a failure for games to start but the reality is everybody will buy on Steam. Plus the Live revenue lost.

Making your platform desirable with exclusives plays bigger revenue than not. That is why Jim says the Xbox platform lose value and money without exclusives playing it role.

Semantics... if you have less exclusives then you have less games to play in your platform lol no matter if it is one, two or five... it is less.

Ok I got what you mean with open now but that has nothing to do with the subject you replied... neither makes any difference.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
At some point we're gonna have to stop looking at Xbox as a console and look at it as a wide variety of platforms. Closed eco systems is not the future for them.

I don't think you know what a closed ecosystem is. Xbox One - like every other console - is a closed ecosystem. Even the Windows 10 Store, where Microsoft is selling games as locked down encrypted "apps" is a closed ecosystem.

What Microsoft is doing is expanding their ecosystem to other devices than Xbox One, not opening it up.

Why would you actively wish for a huge chunk of people being left out? What would be the positive?

If anything, they should lean on PC a lot more. Leave Sony to their walled garden they've been getting so much flak for. That's *definitely* not the future of video games.

See my comment above. Microsoft is building a walled garden on PC, which should *definitely* not be the future of PC gaming.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
This topic has a lot of negative emotions.. And that's weird since Xbox One is doing so well and there was such a positive vibe around it for the last couple of weeks. In that way the timing of the video seems a bit odd and maybe even a bit off.

Malcolm9

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I agree with Jim personally.

I'm going to sell my X as I hardly use it; yes it is more powerful but it doesn't mean a thing if MS can't bring out top class exclusives. I was going to wait until the MCC 4k update but I'm getting bored of waiting for that before jumping back in.

BC is good, but after dabbling in a bit of Red Dead Redemption playing old games is not what I bought the X for and the games that aren't enhanced don't look great.

I actually regret selling my Switch to get an X.

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
See how much you lost putting your game on PC? That strategy will only works if Windows Store was not a failure for games to start but the reality is everybody will buy on Steam. Plus the Live revenue lost.

Making your platform desirable with exclusives plays bigger revenue than not. That is why Jim says the Xbox platform lose value and money without exclusives playing it role.

Yeah, I also don't get it.
Sold my OG Xbox One and maybe would have picked up a used One S for cheap to play Cuphead and check out GamePass and some other games.
Well, I found out my crappy Intel HD 4000 graphics laptop was able to run Cuphead so I just got it on the Windows store. Haven't bought another Win 10 since.

No idea how that scenario was supposed to play better for MS compared to me getting a One S + XBL + Sea of Thieves/PUBG/Forza etc.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
Just watched it and he's talking from the perspective of someone who also has a gaming PC and a PS4. In that context most of his points are correct unfortunately.
You can basically make the same video from the perspective of someone having a gaming PC and an X1.

X1 and PS4 are largely redundant. I know a lot of people are big fans of Sony's first parties around here, so it's fair that people prefer that console. Yet both consoles share like 90% of their libraries. Don't throw your subjective (artistic) preferences into the mix when you're trying to be objective.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
I agree with Jim personally.

I'm going to sell my X as I hardly use it; yes it is more powerful but it doesn't mean a thing if MS can't bring out top class exclusives. I was going to wait until the MCC 4k update but I'm getting bored of waiting for that before jumping back in.

BC is good, but after dabbling in a bit of Red Dead Redemption playing old games is not what I bought the X for and the games that aren't enhanced don't look great.

I actually regret selling my Switch to get an X.

Maybe, just maybe, it isn't a brilliant idea to use an Xbox One X as an exclusive machine when you know they have the worst first party lineup of the three platform holders. The Xbox excels in almost every other aspect. You can play third party titles in their best possible console form, you get great services like Gamepass and you get an enormous amount of backward compatible games.

To me your post feels like you bought something wishing it was something it just isn't. Sell the damn thing.

Deleted member 8408

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This topic has a lot of negative emotions.. And that's weird since Xbox One is doing so well and there was such a positive vibe around it for the last couple of weeks. In that way the timing of the video seems a bit odd and maybe even a bit off.

No need to get emotional over it, it's just somebody's opinion (from the perspective of someone who plays games on all platforms).

The reality is that while the outlook for the future is much brighter as far as the Xbox brand is concerned nothing has really changed since E3 since a lot of the issues people have had with the platform over the course of the generation are deep rooted and can't be altered at the flip of a switch. They are carry overs from a philosophy that is gradually being stomped out.

If you buy a console at this stage of the generation you should buy it for what it offers you today. The Xbox One does enough for some people, but as evidenced by the sales numbers, for the majority it does not.

Although I will say for me personally nothing has been more symbolic than the walking back of the lootbox system and locked cars in Forza 7 with the latest patch. The Forza games are pretty much the only games I play on the platform (and the only reason I own the platform). I took it personally when they fucked with the game in pretty much every way possible at launch with the goal of eventually charging for lootboxes. I'm glad the lootbox shitstorm happened when it did and I'm glad that the game has since changed to become much closer to what it should have been at launch.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
No need to get emotional over it, it's just somebody's opinion (from the perspective of someone who plays games on all platforms).

The reality is that while the outlook for the future is much brighter as far as the Xbox brand is concerned nothing has really changed since E3 since a lot of the issues people have had with the platform over the course of the generation are deep rooted and can't be altered at the flip of a switch. They are carry overs from a philosophy that is gradually being stomped out.

If you buy a console at this stage of the generation you should buy it for what it offers you today. The Xbox One does enough for some people, but as evidenced by the sales numbers, for the majority it does not.

Although I will say for me personally nothing has been more symbolic than the walking back of the lootbox system and locked cars in Forza 7 with the latest patch. The Forza games are pretty much the only games I play on the platform (and the only reason I own the platform). I took it personally when they fucked with the game in pretty much every way possible at launch with the goal of eventually charging for lootboxes. I'm glad the lootbox shitstorm happened when it did and I'm glad that the game has since changed to become much closer to what it should have been at launch.

Oh, I'm not emotional. Not in the slightest... :P

Many of these complaints are more than valid. But it's such a negative vibe while Microsoft has done such a good job at turning things around. So was just surprised to see a more negative video (+ reactions on era) while the whole vibe around MS' gaming business has really changed for the better these last months.No worries, I'll get over it. ;)

Amiibola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
You can basically make the same video from the perspective of someone having a gaming PC and an X1.

X1 and PS4 are largely redundant. I know a lot of people are big fans of Sony's first parties around here, so it's fair that people prefer that console. Yet both consoles share like 90% of their libraries. Don't throw your subjective (artistic) preferences into the mix when you're trying to be objective.

Both consoles share libraries, but the difference is that Microsoft is making their 1st party games aviable also on Windows 10. It really kills the need for a Xbox console

Malcolm9

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Maybe, just maybe, it isn't a brilliant idea to use an Xbox One X as an exclusive idea when you know they have the worst first party lineup of the three platform holders. The Xbox excels in almost every other aspect. You can play third party titles in their best possible console form, you get great services like Gamepass and you get an enormous amount of backward compatible games.

To me your post feels like you bought something wishing it was something it just isn't. Sell the damn thing.

Do calm down, you seem very emotionally rattled by this thread.

I was expecting more for how much the console costs actually. I still use my Pro mainly because I don't think the X is much of an improvement even though on paper the specs are better.

I really enjoyed the original Xbox and the early 360 days (2005 - 2007), and I was hoping to rekindle some MS love with the X but it doesn't impress me at all. The UI is awful, I'm not a fan of things like Gamepass either as I see that being moaned about in the future, just like some do about paying for Gold/PS+. Once it becomes popular all of the big companies will have separate subscriptions and it'll just get ridiculous.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
Although I will say for me personally nothing has been more symbolic than the walking back of the lootbox system and locked cars in Forza 7 with the latest patch.
Unfortunately, there are far more issues with FM7 than the lootbox system in my opinion.

That being said, I won't contradict you on that matter.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think you know what a closed ecosystem is. Xbox One - like every other console - is a closed ecosystem. Even the Windows 10 Store, where Microsoft is selling games as locked down encrypted "apps" is a closed ecosystem.

What Microsoft is doing is expanding their ecosystem to other devices than Xbox One, not opening it up.

See my comment above. Microsoft is building a walled garden on PC, which should *definitely* not be the future of PC gaming.
The only walled garden I've been seeing lately is PSN with how they are screwing around with Crossplay and Fortnight accounts.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Do calm down, you seem very emotionally rattled by this thread.

I was expecting more for how much the console costs actually. I still use my Pro mainly because I don't think the X is much of an improvement even though on paper the specs are better.

I really enjoyed the original Xbox and the early 360 days (2005 - 2007), and I was hoping to rekindle some MS love with the X but it doesn't impress me at all. The UI is awful, I'm not a fan of things like Gamepass either as I see that being moaned about in the future, just like some do about paying for Gold/PS+. Once it becomes popular all of the big companies with have separate subscriptions and it'll just get ridiculous.

I don't even own an Xbox and I'm not emotional at all. I should work out this English thing I guess. It makes me seem like an emotional trainwreck.. :D

To be honest I'd never understand why someone would buy an Xbox One X when they have a pro. But that's me. The X is superior to the pro in many ways (apart from subjective things like UI and the obvious superior game library on PS4). But if you got a pro, meh. If you are planning to use the X as your main console where you play multiplats, use Gamepass and have your Xbox live friends it becomes a fantastic experience.

But for me, and maybe for you, it just doesn't make much sense to own it.

The only walled garden I've been seeing lately is PSN with how they are screwing around with Crossplay and Fortnight accounts.

The Microsoft Store (guys, the store has been renamed ages ago) on Windows 10 is a walled garden. It's like having a console experience on your pc. If MS wants to gather more respect in the pc market, they should work on that. Sell your games on other platforms, make more efforts on crossplay with Steam titles, etc.

(And yes, for many people this is also about modding. But I don't really care much about that)

Deleted member 8408

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

The fuck are you talking about. He has a PC and an Xbox one. That's the point. The word also exists in my post which you quoted. If you have multiple platforms then a lot of the issues become even more prevalent.

I'm just stating my opinion on the video and saying why I agree with it. If you don't like it then that's pretty much your issue.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
Both consoles share libraries, but the difference is that Microsoft is making their 1st party games aviable also on Windows 10. It really kills the need for a Xbox console
There are still games unavailable on PC. For that you need a console. I understand that "Xbox exclusives" being available on PC is one less reason to force you into buying a Xbox. Yet I fail to see that as a negative myself. That's basically complaining that MS doesn't bait you into buying their console.

It may be just me getting old but I appreciate the idea that I now have a choice on that matter. I simply don't play games so that other people need to get the same hardware as me to play them. I'll never understand the logic behind that.

Guardians

Banned
Dec 23, 2017
We already know that Microsoft has currently problems with exclusive games. We don't need someone who tells us the 100 times and things we already know just for clicks! We Need someone who has good ideas how Microsoft can improve their exclusive output! Jim Sterling is once again useless and a bit shit, he just puts more oil in the fire instead of bringing up good ideas how Microsoft could improve!!! I really could kick myself in the nuts for posting something in a Jim Sterling thread because I don't want to support negative people like Jim Sterling, but I needed to say this :)

Amiibola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
There are still games unavailable on PC. For that you need a console. I understand that "Xbox exclusives" being available on PC is one less reason to force you into buying a Xbox. Yet I fail to see that as a negative myself. That's basically complaining that MS doesn't bait you into buying their console.

It may be just me getting old but I appreciate the idea that I now have a choice on that matter. I simply don't play games so that other people need to get the same hardware as me to play them. I'll never understand the logic behind that.

I appreciate it too, since i have no money to get more than one console at a time, but what sells a console isn't power, but features and exclusives. Xbox One have an outstading Backwards Compatibility for example, but that's something that only hardcore Xbox fans care about, so putting myself as an example, the need of getting an Xbox to play Forza Horizon 3 (or 4, for that matter) is lost on me. Halo Infinite (it was infinite, was it?) was also coming to W10 if i recall correctly.

Is not a negative per se, but unless Microsoft has another plans regarding the Xbox brand, they surely aren't doing nearly enough to make their console attractive, no matter how much they push W10 aside in their E3 conference or how much the PC crowd gets the short stick with their Gamepass

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
The fuck are you talking about. He has a PC and an Xbox one. That's the point. The word also exists in my post which you quoted. If you have multiple platforms then a lot of the issues become even more prevalent.

I'm just stating my opinion on the video and saying why I agree with it. If you don't like it then that's pretty much your issue.
Erm, sorry if I offended you, wasn't my intent.

That was also my point, someone having all consoles can see it both ways and making arguments about "what's the point of PS4 if it doesn't have back compat, gamepass/EAccess, LFG, etc?"

It's highly subjective is all I'm saying. Not all people value exclusives as the holy grail of gaming.

Heroin Cat

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
I don't have much to add, but I do think Sterling could have mentioned Killer Instinct. It may not be his thing, but KI is a really solid fighting game. Admittedly I have the Steam version, but the original release one the Xbone entailed a lot of post release support in the forms of seasons adding modes and characters. I suppose KI eventually coming on steam proves that the Xbone/win10 system isn't the best for devs, but it is worth remembering as one of the better Xbone exclusives.

I do wonder why Sony decided against an exclusive fighting game while having every other genre represented in an exclusive somehow.

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
But it's such a negative vibe while Microsoft has done such a good job at turning things around. So was just surprised to see a more negative video (+ reactions on era) while the whole vibe around MS' gaming business has really changed for the better these last months.

As far as I'm concerned, as an early X1 adopter, I still feel a bitter taste in my mouth.
It's cool that Microsoft has improved things after the fact, but this doesn't really help me at all.

I spent 500€ for a launch day Xbox with a mandatory Kinect I didn't want. Couple of months later they offer non Kinect X1s for 350€.
The early X1 OS was a laggy, horrible mess I had to deal with daily for months/years. It's nice to hear that it's better now, but for me the ship has already sailed.
I also endured one E3 after another where "faux gamer bro" Spencer went on stage and promised the world to me.... well some of these games never came out others dropped when I had already sold my OG X1 (with a huge loss, because MS decided to drop a much, much better iteration that could be had for 199€ + a game here in Germany).

Microsoft also really fucked me up by requiring me to update digital games, otherwise they wouldn't launch. I was travelling a lot for work in 2013-2014 and was on costly LTE connection with harsh bandwidth caps. Unlike the Nintendo Switch, the X1 couldn't connect to Hotel WiFi's that required a web login.

Maybe I'm just a salty piece of shit, but whatever MS is doing now is too little too late.