• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
As others have said it's extremely odd he would bring this up now when MS has largely turned things around and has a great outlook for the future..

Base Xbox One is kinda crap, or 'a bit shit'..ok sure.

Xbox One X? Best console of this generation that I will probably use well into the PS5/Xbox Two era, it's glorious.

I don't have much to add, but I do think Sterling could have mentioned Killer Instinct. It may not be his thing, but KI is a really solid fighting game. Admittedly I have the Steam version, but the original release one the Xbone entailed a lot of post release support in the forms of seasons adding modes and characters. I suppose KI eventually coming on steam proves that the Xbone/win10 system isn't the best for devs, but it is worth remembering as one of the better Xbone exclusives.
This too.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
Is not a negative per se, but unless Microsoft has another plans regarding the Xbox brand, they surely aren't doing nearly enough to make their console attractive
There's no denying the X1 is a tough sell right now. But why should I care how much consoles a manufacturer sells as long as the hardware is supported and I can play games on it?

Also as much as I could somehow agree on the original X1, the 1X is a great piece of hardware that plays all (most) multiplats the best it can be on consoles (for now, obviously).

Malcolm9

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I don't have much to add, but I do think Sterling could have mentioned Killer Instinct. It may not be his thing, but KI is a really solid fighting game. Admittedly I have the Steam version, but the original release one the Xbone entailed a lot of post release support in the forms of seasons adding modes and characters. I suppose KI eventually coming on steam proves that the Xbone/win10 system isn't the best for devs, but it is worth remembering as one of the better Xbone exclusives.

I do wonder why Sony decided against an exclusive fighting game while having every other genre represented in an exclusive somehow.

Street Fighter V.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
As an Xbox user the only thing I feel I've missed out on is Bloodborne, which is a damn shame. But I can live with it. TLoU was a good movie though.

Finally playing Nier is a treat as well.

Every time someone posts about how ERA is biased against Xbox, I want to point towards filth like this that goes unnoticed without a warning or ban.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
As far as I'm concerned, as an early X1 adopter, I still feel a bitter taste in my mouth.
It's cool that Microsoft has improved things after the fact, but this doesn't really help me at all.

I spent 500€ for a launch day Xbox with a mandatory Kinect I didn't want. Couple of months later they offer non Kinect X1s for 350€.
The early X1 OS was a laggy, horrible mess I had to deal with daily for months/years. It's nice to hear that it's better now, but for me the ship has already sailed.
I also endured one E3 after another where "faux gamer bro" Spencer went on stage and promised the world to me.... well some of these games never came out others dropped when I had already sold my OG X1 (with a huge loss, because MS decided to drop a much, much better iteration that could be had for 199€ + a game here in Germany).

Microsoft also really fucked me up by requiring me to update digital games, otherwise they wouldn't launch. I was travelling a lot for work in 2013-2014 and was on costly LTE connection with harsh bandwidth caps. Unlike the Nintendo Switch, the X1 couldn't connect to Hotel WiFi's that required a web login.

Maybe I'm just a salty piece of shit, but whatever MS is doing now is too little too late.

I can totally understand your feelings to be honest. But at what point does a company get another chance? I was a hardcore Windows Phone evangelist, but MS fucked me over big time with how they handled it. So I won't buy a Microsoft built phone very soon.

But, if they started making phones again and did a very good job. At what point do I set aside my bitterness? I don't know, I guess it depends on your character. I applaud Microsoft for not giving up and fighting really hard to gain their position in this market. And with companies like Google, Amazon and Apple looking for a piece in the game streaming market in the near future I think MS needs to keep fighting very hard to keep their place.

They had a very good E3 presentation and they acknowledged their mistakes and shortcomings. That's already quite something.

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017

Xbox One X? Best console of this generation that I will probably use well into the PS5/Xbox Two era, it's glorious.

Also as much as I could agree on the original X1, the 1X is a great piece of hardware that plays all (most) multiplats the best it can be on consoles (for now, obviously).

Does releasing an upgraded mid-cycle version of a console for 500€ really make up for the shitty, unfinished product they sold at launch for 500€?
For me the answer is no but I can see why some people would answer with yes.

I kinda start to believe that the stance on Xbox One differs between early vs late adopters. If I hadn't bought an OG X1 and later bought the One S or X my opinion would probably be a lot different.

Did you guys own the OG?

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
I can totally understand your feelings to be honest. But at what point does a company get another chance? I was a hardcore Windows Phone evangelist, but MS fucked me over big time with how they handled it. So I won't buy a Microsoft built phone very soon.

But, if they started making phones again and did a very good job. At what point do I set aside my bitterness? I don't know, I guess it depends on your character. I applaud Microsoft for not giving up and fighting really hard to gain their position in this market. And with companies like Google, Amazon and Apple looking for a piece in the game streaming market in the near future I think MS needs to keep fighting very hard to keep their place.

They had a very good E3 presentation and they acknowledged their mistakes and shortcomings. That's already quite something.

That's a really good question.
I'm not down on Xbox or MS for all eternity, that's for sure. This would just be silly. IMO Sony basically showed that big changes can happen during one console generation.
But, at least for this gen, I'm done with MS. Obviously I felt a little itch to get the X1X because it's an awesome device + I have tons of games on by Xbox account.... but I just couldn't.

When the next generations rolls around in a year or two I will look at Microsofts offering with an open mind, it's not like they scammed me of anything. But when it will come to me choosing between PS5 or the next XBox, Microsoft will be the big underdog as far as I'm concerned.
If the next Xbox is 200€ cheaper than PS5 and launches with a better line up, I'm still open to return.

EDIT: Sorry for the DP

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
Does releasing an upgraded mid-cycle version of a console for 500€ really make up for the shitty, unfinished product they sold at launch for 500€?
For me the answer is no but I can see why some people would answer with yes.

I kinda start to believe that the stance on Xbox One differs between early vs late adopters. If I hadn't bought an OG X1 and later bought the One S or X my opinion would probably be a lot different.

Did you guys own the OG?
Well I owned the the OG Xbox One, bought it solely for Killer Instinct and was really happy with it as I've played hundreds and hundreds of hours of that game, though admittedly Kinect was an utter waste of money. KI is my game of the generation so for me personally I never felt 'burned'.

I eventually bought a PS4 for Uncharted 4 and SFV..but honestly didn't feel it's exclusives blew away MS (I know I'm in the minority here). I play a lot of 3rd party stuff so One X was a Godsend for me, the games look great, Hell even KI which is almost 5 years old looks phenomenal in 4K, especially the BC 4K stuff like RDR and SSX3. Gamepass and BC are just icing on the cake.

Last edited:

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
I don't hold grudges. If I did I wouldn't have bought a PS2 after having to rebuy a faulty PS1 (plus all the time, as in MONTHS plural, the console was RMA'd). That and a host of other shit I won't list here. If a product fits my "needs", I consider buying it.
Did you guys own the OG?
You mean X1 with Kinect at 500$? Yes. Console did its job for the most part. Silent, GOAT controller, played games well enough, and quickly got some neat features such as external storage for games. I could even party chat with friends!

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
Well I owned the the OG Xbox, bought it solely for Killer Instinct and was really happy with it as I've played hundreds and hundreds of hours of that game, though admittedly Kinect was an utter waste of money. KI is my game of the generation so for me personally I never felt 'burned'.

I eventually bought a PS4 for Uncharted 4 and SFV..but honestly didn't feel it's exclusives blew away MS (I know I'm in the minority here). I play a lot of 3rd party stuff so One X was a Godsend for me, the games look great, Hell even KI which is almost 5 years old looks phenomenal in 4K, especially the BC 4K stuff like RDR and SSX3. Gamepass and BC are just icing on the cake.

Ah I see, thanks for sharing. Makes sense. I'm not into console warring or anything, it's just interesting to hear why/when/how people have dropped/stuck with Xbox this gen.
Part of the reason I dropped my Xbox was that there currently isn't a game on there that I couldn't play on PS4. OTH some of the PS exclusives, mainly Yakuza, Bloodborne and Nioh, I couldn't live without.
Another factor for me might be location, here in Germany it's PlayStation country. Not even the 360 was #1 here.

I don't hold grudges. If I did I wouldn't have bought a PS2 after having to rebuy a faulty PS1 (plus all the time, as in MONTHS plural, the console was RMA'd). That and a host of other shit I won't list here. If a product fits my "needs", I consider buying it.

You mean X1 with Kinect at 500$? Yes. Console did its job for the most part. Silent, GOAT controller, played games well enough, and quickly got some neat features such as external storage for games. I could even party chat with friends!

As stated above, I didn't mean to criticize your decision making for anything.
And yes, I agree they really added a ton of features to the OG X1. I was in the preview program and it was always exciting to get the latest update. It's not like everything was terrible on X1 it's just that (for me) the competition was just better.

Last edited:

CoLD FiRE

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
That "movie" is better than any exclusive Xbox One has to offer.

Which you don't need a PS4 to enjoy, as you could just watch it on youtube.

Don't ban me, I love TLOU and it was one of the reasons I finally bought a PS4. With that being said, my PS4 will be collecting more dust until TLOU2 next year!

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
It's not like everything was terrible on X1 it's just that (for me) the competition was just better.
That's of course a fair opinion. I'm just one of those who are tired of the pseudo "objectivity" narrative around consoles.

At the start of the gen PS4 was "objectively better" because it was more powerful.

Now it's "objectively better" because it has more exclusives.

Both are fair points and anyone preferring PS4 for those reasons are doing so logically. It doesn't make it anything "objective" though. People simply are acting rationally according to their personal preferences.

Falconbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Right out the gate he hit the nail on the head with one of my biggest complaints, the UI. It's just a mess. Too much going on in every direction.

Should have given more love to Sunset Overdrive though. He really glossed over it as a nothing game. It's definitely one of Xbox's best, and ironically the only exclusive I think that's NOT available on PC.

Creepy Woody

Nov 11, 2017
Australia
The only thing going for it is enhanced back compat for me.

It needs true exclusives, but it won't have them because everything comes to PC. It's a good and bad thing. Good because I can play everything they release on PC and don't need an Xbox. But I want to love Xbox like I did in the OG and 360 days with tons of cool exclusives.

Also yeah the UI sucks. Every time they say it's new and improved, the more it doubles down on W10 style and is shitty. It's also slow as hell on X1X which is kind of bullshit given the specs of the console. Should be very responsive.

Just pretend they are not on PC and you'll enjoy them like you did before. Lol.

Lol. Might sound silly because I could just have one machine and save money, but I want both platforms to be viable and interesting in their own ways.

Last edited:

JimmyJacking

Oct 28, 2017
- Scenario #3: you have a Switch and no PC: Xbox One almost makes sense, but so does the PS4. PS4 makes more sense, actually (cause same games + exclusives)
- Scenario #4: Switch + PS4, no PC/crappy PC: are you going to buy an Xbox for like 2 exclusives?
- Scenario #5: decent/good PC, no console: there's almost nothing on Xbox you can't already play on your PC.
- Scenario #6: you already got an Xbox + PS4 and/or Switch and/or PC: I guess you can buy Xbox games, if you like, but why would you?

Yeah, going to have to disagree with the Switch and PS4 combo.

The interoperability between the two is the worst of the lot.... and given how things have played out of late *cough* Fortnite account lock *cough* ~ And I can't see that changing anytime soon...

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
The only thing going for it is enhanced back compat for me.

It needs true exclusives, but it won't have them because everything comes to PC. It's a good and bad thing. Good because I can play everything they release on PC and don't need an Xbox. But I want to love Xbox like I did in the OG and 360 days with tons of cool exclusives.

Just pretend they are not on PC and you'll enjoy them like you did before. Lol.

Spidey

Oct 25, 2017
UK
As a big Forza fan, XB1 has been a must have console through its entire lifespan, cranking out big high quality titles on a yearly basis, it's just a shame they haven't been able to hit that standard for fans of other franchises.

Pickleslips

Jan 25, 2018
I don't have a PS4 or Xbox but im seriously considering an X. The only thing thats stoppIng me is A few PS4 exclusives. Asides from that I think the X is an incredible console. I love how theyve upgraded old 360 games. Cool move.

Oct 29, 2017
Right out the gate he hit the nail on the head with one of my biggest complaints, the UI. It's just a mess. Too much going on in every direction.

When I see posts about how bad the UI is I always wonder what are ppl doing that make it so hard to use. If I boot up the Xbox and just want to play games is 2 or 3 button presses at most.

Deleted member 25108

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

I do wonder why Sony decided against an exclusive fighting game while having every other genre represented in an exclusive somehow.

Killer instinct is one of the unsung heroes of this generation. That with the Forza horizon have been the main MGS games that have not only maintained their quality from next gen, but improved on it. (yeah I know KI2 was 3 gens ago But still)

It's also their only successful franchise reboot. Halo 4-5 at best were ok and Gears 4 was middling.

People ask where is Microsofts God of war, and while they have nothing in the same genre, KI is a soft reboot done right.

Deleted member 82

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, going to have to disagree with the Switch and PS4 combo.

The interoperability between the two is the worst of the lot.... and given how things have played out of late *cough* Fortnite account lock *cough* ~ And I can't see that changing anytime soon...

I agree that the abysmal PS4 situation with crossplay is one of the, if not the most valid reason to choose an Xbox One over a PS4. Assuming you care about Fortnite and Minecraft (which a lot of people do), and want/need to play it on all your systems. In that case, Switch/X1 makes way more sense.

However, if you're going to choose 2 consoles based solely on game maximization (i.e. having access to the highest amount of exclusives), Switch/PS4 makes more sense than Switch/X1, let alone PS4/X1. Not to mention the likelihood that you have a PC on top of that.

Or, if you're like me, and you're going for game optimization (i.e. having access to the highest amount of games with the fewest amount of systems), then it's Switch/PC all the way, baby. But I'll admit I like having a lean gaming setup. Don't like to clutter my real estate with lots of hardware.

Deleted member 26104

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Pretty much agree with Sterling and don't see how anyone can't. Exclusives wise, PS4 is simply slaughtering Xbox One.
Try looking at it from someone that doesn't play cinematic, linear, single player games' perspective, as someone that plays online multiplayer games. MS has hit it out of the park this generation, I've put more hours into each of Gears 4, Halo 5, Forza Horizon 3, PUBG, etc than almost any single player game ever.

Making a video on this seems just clickbaity. Like I would have expected this maybe 3 years ago, but in 2018? Really? Definitely seems like a typical pandering to the popular console crowd clickbait thing.

The X plays 95%+ of all games released this generation at their best, so it's IMO the best console of the generation. If you can only have one, it's the one to have.

When I see posts about how bad the UI is I always wonder what are ppl doing that make it so hard to use. If I boot up the Xbox and just want to play games is 2 or 3 button presses at most.

Most of the time it's hard use because they don't have one.

Malcolm9

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Try looking at it from someone that doesn't play cinematic, linear, single player games' perspective, as someone that plays online multiplayer games. MS has hit it out of the park this generation, I've put more hours into each of Gears 4, Halo 5, Forza Horizon 3, PUBG, etc than almost any single player game ever.

Making a video on this seems just clickbaity. Like I would have expected this maybe 3 years ago, but in 2018? Really? Definitely seems like a typical pandering to the popular console crowd clickbait thing.

The X plays 95%+ of all games released this generation at their best, so it's IMO the best console of the generation. If you can only have one, it's the one to have.

Yeah, because it's not like the PS4 has any multiplayer games.........

Deleted member 26104

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, because it's not like the PS4 has any multiplayer games.........
It doesn't really have any good ones that the Xbox doesn't have. The Xbox has some of the best multiplayer games this generation exclusive to it.

You could say the same thing about single player games on the Xbox then. The XB1 has tonnes of great AAA single player games too, yet people always criticize it as if it has none.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
That "movie" is better than any exclusive Xbox One has to offer.
That is subject to opinion, I purchased it off this sites fanbase hype and it was boring gameplay wise. Days Gone looks much better gameplay wise. I would say Sunset Overdrive and Quantum Break were a lot more enjoyable games to play if you measure the games quality by F.P.M. (Fun Per Minute)

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
Only reason I own an Xbox One S is because of my girlfriend who doesn't wanna switch platforms (I own a Gaming PC and all titles I want are ply anywhere anyway)

I own a Pro but there's no way Microsoft can convince me to buy an x simply because I wouldn't play any games on it outside of Battlefield and PUBG with my gf

I'm really happy about my Switch and PS4 thy are worth every cent due to the exclusives but for me multi plat is on the Xbox.

AmFreak

Oct 26, 2017
The Windows Store is not a serious revenue generator. People don't use it.
That's exactly the reason they release on PC now though.
They are leveraging their most loyal fans to to push a potentially far more lucrative business (aka the Store) at the expense of their traditional console business.
With cross-buy PC and One sale numbers will become cloudy instead it will be Store sales (owners).
The Store becomes a serious revenue generator and looks far more attractive.

Kartul7

Banned
Dec 25, 2017
If there's one thing I love about Xbox One it is that some of the games on it have crossplay with other platforms.

Bugalugs214

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
Funny as hell when i hear "They make it available on pc as well for no extra charge, its really big downer for them to be doing things like that I'd play it if it was exclusive though!!"

Fuckin

Lol

ethomaz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Santa Albertina
You can basically make the same video from the perspective of someone having a gaming PC and an X1.
You can but you won't have the same pints because you have a lot of game out of your PC + XB1 combo to play and that is what Jim is talking.

PS4 + PC = Cover you in all fronts except Nintendo.
PS4 = Cover you except Nintendo and PC exclusives.
XB1 = Cover you except Sony, Nintendo and PC exclusives.
PC = Cover you except Sony and Nintendo.
XB1 + PC = Redundant.

See the difference?

Every platform has games that add value and make it not redundant except Xbox One.

PS. That after the move to PC + XB1 releases... before that XB1 had more value with Halo5, SO, etc.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
The Windows Store is not a serious revenue generator. People don't use it.

Do you think this could have changed since Sea of Thieves and State of Decay 2? The beta numbers were encouraging for the Windows version of Sea of Thieves.
I also think games like Gears and Halo don't have the mindshare on pc many people think they do.

Oct 27, 2017
As others have said it's extremely odd he would bring this up now when MS has largely turned things around and has a great outlook for the future..

The console itself is the best one sure but the whole point of the video is the games just aren't really there. If you're happy with the library then great but it does very little for me for example.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Funny as hell when i hear "They make it available on pc as well for no extra charge, its really big downer for them to be doing things like that I'd play it if it was exclusive though!!"

Fuckin

Lol
The key to Xboxs success is to not thinking about how they can get more people into the Xbox Ecosystem who do not own an Xbox, it's about catering to the handful of people who moan about the exclusives not feeling real enough!

Trust me, I'm a Doctor in Business.

Oct 25, 2017
I want to like the Xbox One, my One S looks sexy af, the Controller is awesome, but the UI is still shit, it's sluggish and confusing, and there are almost no games for me.
So it's collecting dust, but I'll keep it for Ori 2.

Magoo

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Quantum Break is the best game on the Xbox, for me, but it's definitely more of a 'movie' game than anything else that gets called out for it as if its a bad thing. A good chunk of the game is sitting and watching it.

That's a type of game I like though. That's why that and D4 are my highlights. Shame that one never got finished.