• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Try looking at it from someone that doesn't play cinematic, linear, single player games' perspective, as someone that plays online multiplayer games. MS has hit it out of the park this generation, I've put more hours into each of Gears 4, Halo 5, Forza Horizon 3, PUBG, etc than almost any single player game ever.

Making a video on this seems just clickbaity. Like I would have expected this maybe 3 years ago, but in 2018? Really? Definitely seems like a typical pandering to the popular console crowd clickbait thing.

The X plays 95%+ of all games released this generation at their best, so it's IMO the best console of the generation. If you can only have one, it's the one to have.

Most of the time it's hard use because they don't have one.
Xbx1x plays only games released after 2017 at their best on it .otherwise many games are unpatched and stuck at 900 p which is played better on base PS4 vs xb1x at 1080 p.so let's not draw a false narrative . all the games do not play better on xbx1x as there are 3 to 4 years of games unpatched and worse than even base PS4

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
If you just consider the hardware, then I definitely don't agree, allthough the OS has pretty poor UX.
Add in the games library and the release schedule and the product quickly becomes subpar for a lot of people. Especially for a mature product like this. One might even call it quite....shit.

Mister X

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
That is subject to opinion, I purchased it off this sites fanbase hype and it was boring gameplay wise. Days Gone looks much better gameplay wise. I would say Sunset Overdrive and Quantum Break were a lot more enjoyable games to play if you measure the games quality by F.P.M. (Fun Per Minute)
Of course it's subjective, that guy calling TLOU a movie was a stretch/bait imo.

Apex88

Jan 15, 2018
You'll not get much rational discussion when a system is current. But with time I think most will come round to the view if you own one machine this gen it'll be PS4.

With investments in ecosystems and digital libraries, not to mention time as responsibilities increase, owning a second system is difficult to justify. That's why for me Switch is the only complimentary machine on my radar. The portability, exclusive IP's, and suitability for retro/indie gaming differentiates it enough.

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
And this thread proves why he does such a videos since platform wars = $$$.

Eh, Sterling doesn't monetize his YouTube videos and I'm pretty sure he doesn't get a share of the ad revenue generated ITT.

Not going to war for Jim and I'm not his biggest fan but these ad hominems, whenever he voices an opinion in his FREE videos on his personal Utube channel are just stupid.

Oct 25, 2017
What kind of games do you like?
I do play tons of Indie games (Platformers, Metroidvanias, Roguelikes), I like RPGs / JRPGs, Character Action Games (Bayonetta, Metal Gear Rising, God of War, Nier: Automata), Souls-likes, Fighting Games (I should try Killer Instinct), "Walking Simulators" (Gone Home, Stanley Parable, Fire Watch), SRPGs (Fire Emblem, Banner Saga), RTS (Halo Wars, Starcraft), Couch Coop/Versus (Overcooked, Mario Kart, Towerfall) and unique experiences like Shadow of the Colossus, Journey, Jazzpunk, Grow Home, etc.

My top 3 games are Ori, Bloodborne and Bayonetta 2.

I played a bit of Forza Horizon 3, but I'm not big intro cars and racing games, so I lost my interest after a few hours. I really loved Halo 3, but 4 and 5 aren't doing anything for me. I've played a good bunch of Gears 4 and really liked it, but I'm done with it. Cuphead is my second favorite game on the One.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
I do play tons of Indie games (Platformers, Metroidvanias, Roguelikes), I like RPGs / JRPGs, Character Action Games (Bayonetta, Metal Gear Rising, God of War, Nier: Automata), Souls-likes, Fighting Games (I should try Killer Instinct), "Walking Simulators" (Gone Home, Stanley Parable, Fire Watch), SRPGs (Fire Emblem, Banner Saga), RTS (Halo Wars, Starcraft), Couch Coop/Versus (Overcooked, Mario Kart, Towerfall) and unique experiences like Shadow of the Colossus, Journey, Jazzpunk, Grow Home, etc.

My top 3 games are Ori, Bloodborne and Bayonetta 2.

I played a bit of Forza Horizon 3, but I'm not big intro cars and racing games, so I lost my interest after a few hours. I really loved Halo 3, but 4 and 5 aren't doing anything for me. I've played a good bunch of Gears 4 and really liked it, but I'm done with it. Cuphead is my second favorite game on the One.

You should try Killer Instinct and Halo Wars 2!

But I understand where you're coming from. The Xbox doesn't offer many unique extras in these genres.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
I usually agree with Sterling's take on the industry but this video was "just a bit shit", in my opinion.

The video is filled with exaggeration, misinformation and arguing in bad faith.

ethomaz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Santa Albertina
Erm, sorry if I offended you, wasn't my intent.

That was also my point, someone having all consoles can see it both ways and making arguments about "what's the point of PS4 if it doesn't have back compat, gamepass/EAccess, LFG, etc?"

It's highly subjective is all I'm saying. Not all people value exclusives as the holy grail of gaming.
You compare the main pourpose of a console... play games with features that add value but didn't affect the main pourpose of the console... play games.

New games = essential
BC = Nice to have but very few gamers want to use it because you buy a new console to play new games
GamePass/EA Access = A wonderful ideia that still doesn't pay it... why pay a subscription when you still need to buy most games you want to play? If each publishers has it own sub we will be in a very bad spot as consumer.
LFG = Unless you are Destiny this feature is basically useless with matchmaking.

You buy new consoles to play new games and today if you have a PS4+PC you only needs Switch but if you have a XB1+PC (redundant) you still needs a PS4 and Switch.

PS4+SW+PC = PS4+SW+XB1 after MS changes... you only needs one of these... in most cases you already have a PC so XB1 will be the one left behind.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
It doesn't have the most attractive library tbh with a heavy reliance on tried and tested IPs, but I really am tempted to pick up an X just for how good their BC looks.

Hopefully that Ninja Theory acquisition turns into something fruitful. Fuk it even something like DmC2 could get me to pick one up even though I'm firmly a DMC guy. They're secretly one of the most promising devs out there just super unlucky with projects.

gueras

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You compare the main pourpose of a console... play games with features that add value but didn't affect the main pourpose of the console... play games.

New games = essential
BC = Nice to have but very few gamers want to use it because you buy a new console to play new games
GamePass/EA Access = A wonderful ideia that still doesn't pay it... why pay a subscription when you still need to buy most games you want to play? If each publishers has it own sub we will be in a very bad spot as consumer.
LFG = Unless you are Destiny this feature is basically useless with matchmaking.

You buy new consoles to play new games and today if you have a PS4+PC you only needs Switch but if you have a XB1+PC (redundant) you still needs a PS4 and Switch.

PS4+SW+PC = PS4+SW+XB1 after MS changes... you only needs one of these... in most cases you already have a PC so XB1 will be the one left behind.
Exactly. Perfect post.

This generation some guys try to put balance between features and games for the same value.

The first and most important feature of a video game is games! Exclusive games and variety. Period.

Lucifersam597

Permanently banned for usage of an alt-account.
Jun 28, 2018
I don't have much to add, but I do think Sterling could have mentioned Killer Instinct. It may not be his thing, but KI is a really solid fighting game. Admittedly I have the Steam version, but the original release one the Xbone entailed a lot of post release support in the forms of seasons adding modes and characters. I suppose KI eventually coming on steam proves that the Xbone/win10 system isn't the best for devs, but it is worth remembering as one of the better Xbone exclusives.

I do wonder why Sony decided against an exclusive fighting game while having every other genre represented in an exclusive somehow.

Jim didn't mention KI, skipped over Horizon, Cuphead and downplayed SOT and State of decay.

Seemed he either ignored or brushed off anything that didnt fit his agenda, how convenient.

Hey if we ignore all the Xbox exclusives we can then say they have none

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Youve got the right idea but all that failed before it started. Ms couldn't cut in in phones. So they tried to make pc their phone with windows store. It's failure born from failure.

If less Xboxes are sold because the games are available on PC, that's impacting MS's revenue negatively.

I imagine they plan to make up for it with subscriptions sold to the PC market for Gamepass, but until that happens it's hard to say their revenue hasn't been hurt by the move.

Honestly the defensiveness of people who can't stand the idea that the PC cross buy diminishes the value proposition of the XB1 for a not insubstantial part of the market is a bit baffling.

Yup.

It's like for smartphones, they could have kept Office exclusive to WP/Win Mo.

On one hand I get why they didn't, but that could have been a reason to buy a WP.

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017

So basically obsessives / people who have to play everything. I'm not sure the average punter is like that - pretty sure they have one console, and probably not a gaming PC, which being the case the XBO is still a valid choice.

Your argument is definitely valid - don't get me wrong - it's just its about 5000% more valid on a forum full of obsessives enthusiasts than it is in a mass-market / average consumer sense.

Wololo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Look we all agree they have an exclusive problem but ive moved pass it. And you should to. I subbed to game pass and have been using my xbone more during the post e3 drout. And its been great. MS are making some great moves setting up next gen.

Oct 31, 2017
The Blocc
Jim didn't mention KI, skipped over Horizon, Cuphead and downplayed SOT and State of decay.

Seemed he either ignored or brushed off anything that didnt fit his agenda, how convenient.

You can buy cuphead on steam. Horizon I'm unsure of but you can buy Forza 7 on PC.

Nobody wanted to play KI, which is why they gave it to us for free, state of decay 1 was a glorified 360 game and state of decay 2, it's just okay, I bought it day one and have like 3 hours played. I installed it on my XB1 and my PC, guess which version of the game I played and which version of the game I didn't.

Even if for arguments sake he mentioned all those games, they don't even remotely move the needle.

ethomaz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Santa Albertina

He did not ignore them... that his main point these games he already played on PC.

XB1 didn't add nothing to him.

BTW these games are not exclusives.

TheLastOne

Oct 25, 2017
The things Microsoft do well are typically genres done better by cross platform AAA publishers.

The things Sony and Nintendo do well no one does better than them.

That's really the difference. If I want GaaS or shooters, I'm better off on PC than Xbox or playing a cross platform game like Fortnite or Battlefield rather than Sea of Thieves or Halo 5.

If I want platformers, noone beats Nintendo. If I want action adventure games with strong narratives, noone today beats Sony.

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT
Maybe, just maybe, it isn't a brilliant idea to use an Xbox One X as an exclusive machine when you know they have the worst first party lineup of the three platform holders. The Xbox excels in almost every other aspect. You can play third party titles in their best possible console form, you get great services like Gamepass and you get an enormous amount of backward compatible games.

To me your post feels like you bought something wishing it was something it just isn't. Sell the damn thing.

His story actually seems kinda unbelievable to me. Why would you take it on the chin selling a system only to take it on the chin again selling the next one you bought? Is this something people really do?

Lucifersam597

Jun 28, 2018
User Banned (5 Days): Ignoring Modpost + Pattern of System Warring
You can basically make the same video from the perspective of someone having a gaming PC and an X1.

X1 and PS4 are largely redundant. I know a lot of people are big fans of Sony's first parties around here, so it's fair that people prefer that console. Yet both consoles share like 90% of their libraries. Don't throw your subjective (artistic) preferences into the mix when you're trying to be objective.

Wondering when Sony is going to get some flak for neglecting a lot of genre's, their first party output in Racing games, Online games, FPS, Strategy games, Platformers, Fighting Games is pretty lacking.

Yea they got 3rd person over the shoulder cinematic adventure games locked up but when you look at their output they are sorely lacking in alot of other genre's and seems to get a pass on it.

Lucifersam597

Jun 28, 2018
You can buy cuphead on steam. Horizon I'm unsure of but you can buy Forza 7 on PC.

Nobody wanted to play KI, which is why they gave it to us for free, state of decay 1 was a glorified 360 game and state of decay 2, it's just okay, I bought it day one and have like 3 hours played. I installed it on my XB1 and my PC, guess which version of the game I played and which version of the game I didn't.

Even if for arguments sake he mentioned all those games, they don't even remotely move the needle.

You are doing the same thing as Jim, making excuses and brushing off games in the Xbox library because of "reasons" to help push an agenda.

Awfully convenient to brush off and make excuses for any game Xbox related as to why it some how doesn't "count"

ethomaz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Santa Albertina
So basically obsessives / people who have to play everything. I'm not sure the average punter is like that - pretty sure they have one console, and probably not a gaming PC, which being the case the XBO is still a valid choice.

Your argument is definitely valid - don't get me wrong - it's just its about 5000% more valid on a forum full of obsessives enthusiasts than it is in a mass-market / average consumer sense.
It is a valid point on mass market too... consumers buy consoles to play the games they wanted.

The actual sales of each console shows that... unless you are very found of Xbox brand you will choose PS4 because the games you probably wants to play is there.

That the complete opposite scenario of Xbox 360 they even with inferior WW brand power it sold gangbuster due having games that consumers wanted to play not found in any other place.

XB1 is an awesome console for fans but not a console for the market.

Arkaign

Nov 25, 2017

I think this is true. I have a great PC with UW 1440 Gysnc, and vastly prefer being able to do 60+ in major multiplats that usually lean 30 on console. I also realize that for someone who doesn't care as much, a $200-$400 console is a better idea.

PC + PS4 is a crazy good combo imho, but for some people an X1 + Switch might be what the Dr ordered. Or an iPhone and 3DS.

Basically : who cares what anyone else thinks lol. In the end it doesn't matter.

gueras

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Long history of infractions for console warring.
The gamepass list of games is pretty bad. Most of games from xbox360 really old games and not the best games from xbox360. From this generation you can't count 5 great games and only one game with more than 90 mc score:
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-07-02-xbox-game-pass-games-list-price

Sony is giving great games on ps plus. They gave XCOM 2 last month. Which is one of the best games from this gen

What is the point to have a service like gamepass with old games(10 year old ones) and not so great games from this gen?

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
As far as I'm concerned, as an early X1 adopter, I still feel a bitter taste in my mouth.
It's cool that Microsoft has improved things after the fact, but this doesn't really help me at all.

I spent 500€ for a launch day Xbox with a mandatory Kinect I didn't want. Couple of months later they offer non Kinect X1s for 350€.
The early X1 OS was a laggy, horrible mess I had to deal with daily for months/years. It's nice to hear that it's better now, but for me the ship has already sailed.
I also endured one E3 after another where "faux gamer bro" Spencer went on stage and promised the world to me.... well some of these games never came out others dropped when I had already sold my OG X1 (with a huge loss, because MS decided to drop a much, much better iteration that could be had for 199€ + a game here in Germany).

Microsoft also really fucked me up by requiring me to update digital games, otherwise they wouldn't launch. I was travelling a lot for work in 2013-2014 and was on costly LTE connection with harsh bandwidth caps. Unlike the Nintendo Switch, the X1 couldn't connect to Hotel WiFi's that required a web login.

Maybe I'm just a salty piece of shit, but whatever MS is doing now is too little too late.

I think this is a valid criticism.

The One S was basically a do over. And it's funny that many ppl in this thread mention the One X, like the OG and One S don't exist. I do appreciate an earlier post that said they make the mistake of focusing on the One X.

Wouldn't ppl on the weaker XBOs have a lesser experience? Isn't that what most ppl have? Kudos for MS having the most powerful mid gen refresh, but that doesn't mean the other 2 just disappear.

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017

Well, for people who don't care about exclusives I believe price, ease of use and "whatever my friends are on" are the deciding factors.

The X1 was 100€ more expensive than PS4 at launch and was the more complicated piece of hardware (Kinect + DRM rumors).
That alone probably helped Sony to jump out to a sales lead, which settled the "whatever my friends are on" issue for most casual buyers (the FIFA, Madden, CoD crowd).

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017

Uhh KI was a big system seller for XB1...wtf are you talking about?

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
The gamepass list of games is pretty bad. Most of games from xbox360 really old games and not the best games from xbox360. From this generation you can't count 5 great games and only one game with more than 90 mc score:

Sony is giving great games on ps plus. They gave XCOM 2 last month. Which is one of the best games from this gen

What is the point to have a service like gamepass with old games(10 year old ones) and not so great games from this gen?

I think that's a bit of a false equivalence though, as there's also Games with Gold that's pushing some decent titles through. I don't think it'll be too long before the two services are rolled into each other in some way though.

As for the video, it's an inflammatory title to get people talking. I think it's a fair enough point, and the Xbox as a console platform doesn't exactly inspire a great deal of confidence in itself. I've hardly touched mine this year, I played Sea of Thieves on my PC, and my Gold subscription has lapsed with no view to re-upping.

Sony are killing it with exclusives, and although I can see MS coming back strong next generation, there's not a whole ton of things that I'm excited about from the green team in the near future...

Lucifersam597

Jun 28, 2018
There's no denying the X1 is a tough sell right now. But why should I care how much consoles a manufacturer sells as long as the hardware is supported and I can play games on it?

Also as much as I could somehow agree on the original X1, the 1X is a great piece of hardware that plays all (most) multiplats the best it can be on consoles (for now, obviously).

Yep, their seems to be a complete warping in the gaming community where their brains always turn to "who sells the most", "if you aint first your last mentality"

It's like console wars and have escalated tot he point people forget anything other than first place and sales.

A platform does NOT have to be first place to be viable for gamers. In fact as we have seen over several generations the platform NOT in first place actually tends to work harder for gamers on their platform.

None of the big 3 are going to pull a Sega anytime soon, MS showed this E3 they are all in and going to produce new hardware.

So it seems so silly people are so "concerned" about sales, first place and list wars when in reality as long as a company can carve out a profitable niche in the industry things will be fine. MS is obviously positing themselves so their entire game division is not dependent on one piece of hardware or one gaming genre. They are setting things up to be diverse enough so their platform owners don't have to worry about monthly hardware sales.

Peoples brains are warped and way to focused on console wars to even think clearly anymore.

gueras

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think this is a valid criticism.

The One S was basically a do over. And it's funny that many ppl in this thread mention the One X, like the OG and One S don't exist. I do appreciate an earlier post that said they make the mistake of focusing on the One X.

Wouldn't ppl on the weaker XBOs have a lesser experience? Isn't that what most ppl have? Kudos for MS having the most powerful mid gen refresh, but that doesn't mean the other 2 just disappear.
And problably Xbox one x is not more than 3% of Xbox one install base.

c0Zm1c

Oct 25, 2017
Backwards compatibility has been very popular on Xbox One though; it's a very nice thing to have that people will use if good support is there, even if the initial purchase of the machine is for new games.

Lucifersam597

Jun 28, 2018
Why'd the thread title change? Jim picked that stupid title for his own video, let him lie in the bed he made--or if not, just fuckin' close the thread.

Yea seems like now this thread is just a catch all crap on Xbox thread, pretty lame to even have it open as it is literal console wars. Maybe if the mods could direct all the Xbox trashing in others threads to this one it may do some good but I highly doubt they would do that.

M1chl

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Czech Republic
Eh, Sterling doesn't monetize his YouTube videos and I'm pretty sure he doesn't get a share of the ad revenue generated ITT.

Not going to war for Jim and I'm not his biggest fan but these ad hominems, whenever he voices an opinion in his FREE videos on his personal Utube channel are just stupid.

Sorry about that, but I got ad in that video.... Not sure if youtube fuck up or not, but sorry to Jim, if I was being wrong.

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT
What hurts this hobby more than anything is Microsofts often EAesque approach to game publishing. They certainly have the money to be better than that. They don't need to nickel and dime gamers with crappy GaaS stuff. And they have done soo much better in the past. The first XBox was a really cool and unique console software wise.

What does that even mean? Are you talking about games that they want to run for years, and they should just eat the costs associated?

Lets walk down memory lane, when gaas were pretty much MMOs. Granted the market was substantially smaller, but you had Ultima Online, then EverQuest, and then WoW, with a few smaller MMOs still able to eke out an existence. All of these games had monthly fees AND paid expansions.

You also had an unbelievable number of failed games.

Heres the main point: I think it was discovered there was only so many gamers willing to shell out for monthly subs. And once they were subscribing, another product was unlikely to gain an additional sub from a user - you had to get them to switch to your game. WoW hit and I think they pretty much hit the ceiling on that.

But the monthly fee structure actually kept some of those games running for insane amounts of time (if you told me EQ would still be going in 2019, I dont think I would have ever believed you). EQ apparently has moved to (i think) a F2P MT based model mixed with the monthly premium model. But I digress

A lot of online games that were not quake got made and support dried up in very short amounts of time. That brought about the evolution of "gaas" - online games with years of developer support. How you monetize these is also evolving, but they are usually better games due to monetization.

So I ask you - what are the negatives, to you, of having a gaas (in general)? To me it's some of the methods of monetization - loot boxes, especially coupled with making gameplay onerous without paying money or spending an obscene amount of time.

Even Bungie ended up on the MT train for their gaas - and they added what I assume will be yearly paid content packs that are the full price of the game yet again (MMO model).

So all that said, expand on your point, give examples, reasons why you feel MS gaas, or gaas itself is detrimental.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018

Really? You pay 10 (or most of the times less) dollars and you get access to 180 games. Including games like:
- Fallout 4
- Rocket League
- The Elder Scrolls Online
- The Division
- Rise of the Tomb Raider
- Sea of Thieves
- Halo 5
- Gears of War 4
- Halo Wars 2
- Cities Skylines
- PES18
- Sunset Overdrive
+ 168 more

How is that pretty bad?

HBK

Oct 30, 2017

New games = essential

Too much to answer about that kind of post. You're basically projecting your personal preferences as to "common sense" whereas they're just ... your personal preferences.

Let's start by the bullet point list:

1 / I get a ton of new games on X1 alone.

2 / BC is amazing. I don't care that much for OG Xbox and 360 games, but if Sony announces full-on BC for PS1/2 games on PS4 (region unlocked won't happen unfortunately), I'll buy a PS4 ASAP.

3 / Some people see a lot of value in having access to a rather large catalog for a mere ~10$/month. I don't, but some do.

4 / LFG is amazing in a game such as Elite.

Then, onto the most important part:

Not everyone suffers from FOMO and need to play EVERY big hitters that come out or else they can't post on Era as their opinion will be "irrelevant". There are a ton of games I don't/can't play and if that choice is facilitated by not having some platforms, then that's as good as a reason to filter which games you want to play than any other form of personal preference. When you don't have 10h a day to play games, you need to make hard choices anyway.

Also, as someone who has a gaming PC and a 1X (and a Switch, a WiiU and a 3DS, but that's besides the point, I also have a PS1 and PS2 unplugged if you wanna know), I often ponder pros and cons as to playing on either platform. Some games I play on PC (mostly because I can get 60fps whereas Xbox can't), others I play on Xbox (when my PC can't run the game much better than the 1X, why bother, plug'n'play and comfy couch gaming FTW).

Some people seem to be awfully reductive in how they see video games. I just follow my heart and so far so good. Most of the time I'm very happy with my purchases and I don't see why I would be the only one in that situation. Some people just really don't care about the logos on the plastic boxes they use to enjoy gaming and quite simply act according to a set of personal preferences which can largely vary from one person to another. There's no objectivity in that matter.

Edit :
Yep, their seems to be a complete warping in the gaming community where their brains always turn to "who sells the most", "if you aint first your last mentality"

It's like console wars and have escalated tot he point people forget anything other than first place and sales.

A platform does NOT have to be first place to be viable for gamers. In fact as we have seen over several generations the platform NOT in first place actually tends to work harder for gamers on their platform.

None of the big 3 are going to pull a Sega anytime soon, MS showed this E3 they are all in and going to produce new hardware.

So it seems so silly people are so "concerned" about sales, first place and list wars when in reality as long as a company can carve out a profitable niche in the industry things will be fine. MS is obviously positing themselves so their entire game division is not dependent on one piece of hardware or one gaming genre. They are setting things up to be diverse enough so their platform owners don't have to worry about monthly hardware sales.

Peoples brains are warped and way to focused on console wars to even think clearly anymore.
Well said.

Last edited:

Joe White

Oct 27, 2017
Finland

Need is a too strong word when you have gaming PC, because with PC one has access to more new games than there are time for and there really isn't need for another platform. That said, consoles have their exclusives and other benefits and with those, I see X1X as the best companion for PC. It is the best place to experience console exclusives, it provides superb multimedia functions (bonus point for console being silent), shared purchases, subscriptions, saves, progress with PC and BC. And those last points makes the platform really feel worth investing into as it seems that there is a future for my purchases and not just a lifespan of a single "generation".

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT
I don't have a PS4 or Xbox but im seriously considering an X. The only thing thats stoppIng me is A few PS4 exclusives. Asides from that I think the X is an incredible console. I love how theyve upgraded old 360 games. Cool move.

I think the past issues with some certain MS execs not wanting to spend money on games has maybe been cleared up, but I suspect Forza games on their own sell well enough and have enough car packs and expansions to keep their funding levels high - also they get to share game engines and reap the rewards of two studios working on that aspect of it.

Lucifersam597

Jun 28, 2018
I honestly have a hard time figuring out how to attack the unique situation of MS supporting both Xbox and the Win10 store. On the one hand I agree that this isn't really helping the Xbox One itself make a case for being necessary. On the other hand, in terms of consumer advocacy I have a really hard time criticizing it as a bad thing. If Sony/Nintendo defied expectations tomorrow and announced that some of their big upcoming releases were getting PC ports I wouldn't use that as an attack point to slam the PS4 or Switch.

MS are expanding their platform so it does not depend on the sales of a single piece of hardware and in turn making games and services available to more people and with play anywhere making it a really pro consumer service.

It's an everyone wins scenario as long as some people can let go of their console war mentality and let go of list wars.

Opposable

Oct 25, 2017
I love Jim but in an industry full of toxicity (and he himself claims to hate the bigots etc that are found in it) he does often appeal to these people with his hyperbole, negativity and attacks on things/people.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
They do tend to think too much like EA, I can agree with him there. Service games that steal your hours for months are not really beneficial for a platform holder, sure the microtransaction/lootbox money is nice but the real money for first parties is in selling games on your console. Third parties have to pick up scraps, aka microtransactions.

New, exclusive, hugely marketable games are what sell hardware to the masses. Sony and Nintendo have been killing it in this regard because they are not chasing the same rabbit that all the third parties are, which brings variety and desirability to their ecosystems. Service titles just keep people from buying new games.