• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017

OnionPowder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Yeah it is a bit shit. Gamepass and BC redeem it for me, but outside of those it's definitely a shit console. (I have an original model so that may affect my opinion?)

Not that that's bad, I still love my N64 and that's way more shit than an Xbox One. I don't regret getting one still.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Their are zero reasons to purchase an Xbox. So Jim's point stands.

If I want the best performing third party titles I'll get them on pc.

If I want the best performing first party exclusives I'll get them on pc.

If I want Sony's first party offerings I'll play on PS4.

If I want to play Nintendo's first party titles I'll purchase a switch.

Hes right you know.
Some people just want a console instead of a PC to play Microsoft's games and 3rd party titles. Being able to play previous console-only titles with better IQ is also a big incentive. You can't do that with a PC very easily - PS3 emulation is your only hope and that probably won't be as good as what the Xbox One X is doing for a few more years. Xbox 360 and Xbox OG emulation is also very primitive at this point.

More hardware choices is a good thing. The Xbox brand is filling a niche, putting pressure on Sony to ensure it produces great 1st party games and competitive next gen hardware, and has been lauded by gamers in the past year or so. This video feels a bit like an anachronism considering the strides Microsoft has made as of late.

Recently, there was a thread on here that asks if anyone regrets their XB1X purchase, and the response was overwhelmingly "no". People who are enjoying their console aren't wrong.

Faria

Jan 26, 2018
He's been off his rocker for a long time now, this seals it. It's pretty pathetic how far he has fallen and how low he has stooped, especially when it comes to clickbait trash.

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
I love Xbox but I dont think anyone can deny they are dissapointed how this gen turned out.

Yukinari

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Danger Zone
Honestly, this just shows how consumer friendly the Xbox team is regarding gaming. So the only reason to buy Playstations or Nintendos is because they lock their games to far inferior hardware. That's only assuming that everyone wants to game on a PC. Maybe there is other reasons everyone isn't a PC gamer. People talk about Xbox games on PC as some big negative but really MS is just being awesome by having that functionality as well as crossbuy.

If its a 1st party IP or funded by Sony/Nintendo then yes its gonna stay exclusive?

Its only anti consumer when its a timed exclusive which Microsoft is already known for being guilty of just like Sony. Or it impacts other versions of a game like with exclusive DLC.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
He's not wrong, though this vid probably would've been better suited a year ago. Gamepass and BC are making some strides making the console a bit less shit.

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Considering the amount of SoT i play on PC (with better framerate and control) along with the other games coming like Crackdown 3, i have zero reason to buy an Xbone.

I always found it weird to be someone who only owns 1 console each generation too. Cause if that console has a lack of exclusives its pointless.

At the very least if you have an Xbone, you probably also own a Switch or PS4.

Outside of this forum I know very very few people who own more than one platform. It's just too much investment.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
I agree with him on the UI (not a fan), but that's it. I think Microsoft could possibly see a return to 360-like success in North America and the UK when the next round of consoles come out based on the moves they've been making the last year or so. They seem to be looking forward to the future and where a "platform" should be going more so than Sony and Nintendo. They need more exclusive content, but obviously they realize that. I don't think having Xbox "exclusives" also available on Windows is an issue.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
He does. And they yet have to deliver.

A fair point to be made : MS has, several times over the years, tried to diversify and offer and acquiere IP or studios, and often failed, at creating engaging and sucessful games.

They, again, have to prove themselves from scratch.

It's not because you buy studios that you magically produced award winning, critical and commercial success out of a magic hat.

The point I was trying to make is that we know all of that. Everything pointed out in that video has been pointed by most if not everyone for years now. So much so that MS had to make a big deal out of their acquisition and their ambition to invest on exclusive and single player content.

So what's the point of the video? Stating what we know for years? There's not much new insight in that video. After watching it, feels more like he needed to churn out content and decided to release this.

Oct 27, 2017
Jim supposedly hates anything that he criticizes according to the fans of whatever he's criticizing. I'm not missing any point, I just think it's a silly one to begin with.

You are missing the point. And obtuse along with it.

Go and listen to a few of the Podquisition's and you'll get this opinion week in, and week out (from all three of them to be fair).

I'm not arguing against his criticism, I'm arguing it's something he does all the time, so the video isn't giving us anything new, except to essentially shit-stir a bit of console wars.

He's better than that.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
He makes good points, criticizes them in some regards, praises other things like gamepass. Sadly, most folks are going to see that this is directed to their console of choice and respond immediately.
Then he could have titled his video in a less incendiary way.

Like "The problem with Xbox" or something else that conveys there's an issue, but doesn't light a bat signal for console wars.

I mean it would've devolved into console wars regardless, but still.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll never understand why this toxic youtuber's low quality troll bait is accepted as valid thread material whereas a lot of other personalities' more valid content isn't, but hey, to each their own. It's especially odd because he makes a lot of comments that wouldn't fly from a user (remember when he was throwing insults at Sony for the crossplay thing) Xbox One has nearly all of the best third parties. It currently lags behind Nintendo and Sony in terms of first parties, but the Creators Program, Game Preview and ID@Xbox ensure that there's a lot of interesting titles that are not available on other consoles. With backwards compatibility, enhanced games, Game Pass and Play Anywhere, your games (old or new) are also worth far more, since you get to use them on multiple platforms and in many ways, with one single buy. And on the X, basically every game runs better than on any other platform. Xbox One definitely isn't shit, but this video fits the bill for the term.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it's a pretty pointless console to have when you have a ps4 and gaming PC. I've had a X for a few months now and I've barely turned it on.

Also during his "pox on gaming" part he forgot to mention all the damage MS has done to PC gaming over the years starting with bribing western PC devs to make console oriented games during the original xbox time, then of course GFWL, and now UWP.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
Basically. I own an Xbox One (got that white one that was bundled with Sunset Overdrive when it came out) and I've barely used it. I use it for Halo games (MCC and Halo 5) and Rock Band 4 and that is about it. Play some KI on it (rarely) over the PC because I got the S1 or 2 (or both?) pack for free or super cheap or something in some kind of sale or pricing error.

It's just the PS4 has better/more exclusives and I've got my PC for multiplats (and even MS exclusives now). Every other console has things going for it over the Xbox One. PC is the PC, PS4 has the exlusives, Switch is the portable and Nintendo machine and the Xbox One has MS exclusives but is now also sharing them with the PC (which is good for me) so there isn't really any value in my Xbox One outside of it being the machine I can play Rock Band on because I could transfer my 360 song library forward and I wasn't going to give that up by getting the PS4 version.

I'm sure as a main console then it's great, but if you have the others/a gaming PC then it doesn't hold much value.

DaiJyoubs

Oct 25, 2017
The X has good hardware backed by one of the worst OS's I've used. That thing moves molasses slow half the time but games look and run great on it at least. I still prefer to use most any other console though just because I enjoy their ecosystems more.

Also, Mods, I apologize if this is backseat modding and feel free to warn me as such but this whole thread feels like it's inciting console war BS which we can't do on this forum anyway. Might be better just to lock this.

Oct 25, 2017
Upstate NY
I mean he isn't wrong about Microsoft's exclusivity problem but it's pretty clear they're looking to get there next gen and aggressively so.

I have an Xbox One X and a PS4 Pro. The X has taken over for the PS4 as my primary third party machine. It's a wonderful machine to say the least.

Of course, the X hasn't been around all generation. The original Xbox One was under par, but for Sterling to even be talking about that right now is odd. It isn't exactly a secret, you know?

Jeffrey Guang

Nov 4, 2017
Taiwn
I find it ironic that this guy criticizing Microsoft for "zero exclusives."
Would he rather Microsoft forces him to buy a console for playing Microsoft's games?
Is he really the guy that made so many videos about corporate greed?

What a clown.

peepers

Dec 10, 2017
Biscay
I can't watch the video right now but I will (I always watch the jimquisition), however I feel like Jim is late on this one. The Xbox has had a few tough years but those seem to be over or about to be over. I also agree about the clickbait title since the idea that the Xbox One is shit (according to him) has been a problem made by Microsoft for Microsoft, and not a problem with the console itself which is not that underpowered compared to its competitors. All in all, I think this has been a topic long overdue for him, so long that he's late to the party actually.

M1chl

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Czech Republic
Feels like needlessly long post-rant from here, with unfunny jokes and boring schtick. Jim Sterling is bit shit, because when he was on Destructoid, he wrote genuinely funny stuff and Podtoid with his edgelord persona was great, now it's just yet another youtuber.

And no I don't need to defend my plastic box, so it's fair opinion, but video in my opinion was bit shit as many before on his channel. Where is something akin to his first video about "host migration" or his Epic Hole music video, which I tend to see from time to time.

Whatever, slow news week I guess...

More Butter

Banned
Jun 12, 2018
If its a 1st party IP or funded by Sony/Nintendo then yes its gonna stay exclusive?

Its only anti consumer when its a timed exclusive which Microsoft is already known for being guilty of just like Sony. Or it impacts other versions of a game like with exclusive DLC.
I'm not arguing otherwise. I'm just saying that spinning Xbox as negative for having games on PC that there is a reverse in Sony and Nintendo not allowing their games on PC. Its just a really stupid console warriorish point.

Lucifersam597

Permanently banned for usage of an alt-account.
Jun 28, 2018

Is the basis of Jim's argument, he says the exclusives are either not that great or not enough of them, and although Microsoft are trying to do more and get more exclusives, they haven't done so yet.

Literal hot takes from 2013, they just added 5 game studios, gee I wonder that those studios will be doing?

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
So for him it just boils down to exclusives? That's definiteky their week point, but in just about every other area the x especially, excells.

I guess enough people weren't talking about him?

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well... He's not wrong.

When you have a decent PC, a PS4 and a Switch you basically have no reason to buy an Xbone unless you really like Halo or really want to play old 360 games.

Dinobot

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
The X is my primary platform. But, if you get the majority of your third party games on another platform (PS4 or PC) you're left with a really limited library on Xbox, especially since the quantity and quality of its exclusives have been a step down from the 360 era.

But for me, I prefer the platform because (and this is all subjective)

• Gamepass
  • Better social networking
  • Achievements being a high score number give me the old school feels instead of trophy colors and numbers
  • The controller is superior
  • Xbox Play Anywhere

Septic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He's right.

This gen has been mostly backtracking and sorting stuff out after the abysmal reveal.

However, what E3 proved to me was that Xbox really want to put up a good fight. Xbox sorted out the hardware, with the X1X thoroughly eclipsing the Pro and now it seems like MS is taking software a lot more seriously.

In terms of exclusives, X1X has pretty much been a dud with some exceptions. I think next gen, the fight between Xbox and PS will be REALLY interesting. Here's hoping anyway...

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
I find it ironic that this guy criticizing Microsoft for "zero exclusives."
Does he rather want Microsoft to forcing him to buy a console for playing Microsoft's games?
Is he really the guy that made so many videos about corporate greed?

What a clown.

Jim's made it clear that he considers Exclusives one of the few good things corporations can do because they're basically sunk costs not inherently beholden to expectations of third party AAA gaming.

Nov 1, 2017
To be fair, the Xbox One is great for people that don't own a console at all or are starting essentially from zero. For example, my dad bought one as part of a Microsoft bundle when he was buying stuff for his home office for my nephew who only had a PS3 at his mom's house. Its actually a pretty nice console based on its own merits but yeah, compared to its competitors' offerings is severely lacking.

angel

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A large and busy Jim thread is born, that was the sole mission. And I don't even dislike him.

Dorfdad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (2 Days): Console War Memes; accumulated infractions
He can't accept something and criticize it?

Sadly this is how most people act that's why companies give away freebies to generate good press from outside the company.

PS I totally agree with this video as someone who bought both an Xbox One S and than upgraded to an XB1X than sold both there is nothing that I can't get elsewhere and the PS4 Pro is close enough in quality that I couldn't care. I also have a gaming PC which gets all the new M$ titles. Microsoft just needs to add an official keyboard and open up the store more and clean it up.

Bring PC games to Xbox and treat it like a Mid level PC!

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
This thread's title has been edited to be less inflammatory.

We are leaving this thread open to provide our members the chance to respond to this video's arguments with their own reasoned perspectives. Please avoid stirring or partaking in system wars in this thread.

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Whenever i see it on youtube its either investment, disinterest or company loyalty driving that decision.

Happened to AngryJoe in fact until he bought a PS4.

You're probably right.

I'd consider myself interested in gaming enough to be labelled as an "enthusiast" I suppose, but my sole console is the One X. Admittedly, with the way they design their brand ecosystems, it can make it difficult to break out of one platform on to another (trophies / achievements, previous digital purchases etc) but the sole reason I don't own another platform is time. I don't even have remotely enough time to play all of the games I'm interested in on Xbox as it is, let alone adding something like Sony's first-party lineup to the mix.

The majority of my social circles are in a similar situation. Makes it difficult to justify the purchase of a Switch or PS4 as well as an Xbox if that's your main platform.

Arion

Oct 26, 2017
Unnecessary episode. Did he run out of things to talk about? Was there no significant controversy last week to comment on?

Deleted member 8408

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just watched it and he's talking from the perspective of someone who also has a gaming PC and a PS4. In that context most of his points are correct unfortunately.

ManUtd

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Sweden/Norway
This.

I mean at this point, everyone should know his opinion, this is just lazy as shit.

Must be an extra slow week, but that's the last of my subscriptions gone.

He's a pundit and should get it for free as everyone else..but that doesn't meen that he has to like it, does it?

I hope more could be like him and be honest.

Xbox has been shit outside of the US.

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jim has always been someone who creates gaming forum focused content

it's why some of his bits exist at all like Fuck Konami and Oh Ubisoft
It's more like something a kid would post on this forum and would be disputed like in a couple of minutes. Like how he glosses over Sunset Overdrive as "not counting" but focuses on Quantum Break for some reason