• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Got some bugs here and there but nothing totally unfixable. I'm having fun with it. Think I'm about 3/4 of the way through

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
What do people think of the combat? Exploration?
I do want it. Not $60 want it but definitely would grab it on steam during a sale.

grosvenor92

Dec 2, 2017
I do want it. Not $60 want it but definitely would grab it on steam during a sale.

In relation to combat he says he started out playing on hard due to its similarities to Dark Souls but turned it back down to normal after playing it for some time and started to enjoy it more. Exploration seems to be very metroidvania from what I've read here and in reviews

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
I'm picking it up but not full price & when PS4 version gets fixed.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, Jim was always going to nitpick an universally appreciated game if it's done by EA or Activision.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
The exploration is pretty good, one of the parts of the game that surprised me. However the rewards for doing so are slim since the items in chests are cosmetic (poncho & droid skins, lightsaber parts). The other few are health cannisters and force/life upgrades. But every normal chest you open will have a cosmetic item and that's a downer. Most of them are saber parts and you can't even see such miniscule details on a saber hilt far away.

The combat is disappointing. Feels pretty slow (at least to me) and your force meter drains fast so you can't use the fancy moves all that much. There's only slow, push and pull in terms of combat powers. Force pushing enemies off ledges doesn't get old though.

There are segments where everything clicks though and overall it does feel great to play a SW game again, especially one that has big planets for you to explore. But a lot can be improved.

Last edited:

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Same thoughts as me, found it fine as well, dropped it after 7 hours as nothing was really grabbing me in it.

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
What is with the weird running and jogging animations of the main character? It just looks a bit janky and unrealistic and at times hilarious. I thought this was an engine limitation thing but this is using the UE engine and not Frostbyte but the movement animations still look bad like Mass Effect Andromeda and Starwars Battlefront

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
This says a lot more to me than any critics review to be honest.

1znBlPM.jpg

s0l0kill

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a good game but it feels rushed to me. does not have the polish of TF2 campaign, wouldn't be surprised if EA limited Respawn's time with this game.
Also.. the ending, it's comically bad.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
What is with the weird running and jogging animations of the main character? It just looks a bit janky and unrealistic and at times hilarious. I thought this was an engine limitation thing but this is using the UE engine and not Frostbyte but the movement animations still look bad like Mass Effect Andromeda and Starwars Battlefront

It's possible that Respawn just didn't have the expertise/time to get it nailed this time around. Every game Respawn has made (and their heritage as Infinity Ward) is first person.

Oct 26, 2017
It's a good game but it feels rushed to me. does not have the polish of TF2 campaign, wouldn't be surprised if EA limited Respawn's time with this game.
Also.. the ending, it's comically bad.

It was not rushed by any means.

The game has been in development for at least 3 years and in the same time they were still staffing the "Action/Adventure" studio, while the Titanfall team was working on TF2 and Apex Legends, also compared to the Titanfall team, SW was their first game as a studio using Unreal Engine 4 and yes, it's not as polished as Titanfall 2.

Respawn is a very small "AAA" studio, working on 4-5 games at the same time is not easy.

It's possible that Respawn just didn't have the expertise/time to get it nailed this time around

The SW team is not the one that worked on Titanfall.

s0l0kill

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It was not rushed by any means.

The game has been in development for at least 3 years and in the same time they were still staffing the "Action/Adventure" studio, while the Titanfall team was working on TF2 and Apex Legends, also compared to the Titanfall team, SW was their first game as a studio using Unreal Engine 4 and yes, it's not as polished as Titanfall 2.

Respawn is a very small "AAA" studio, working on 4-5 games at the same time is not easy.

The SW team is not the one that worked on Titanfall.

Then 3 years wasn't enough, also I'd expect them to shell out the money to get a game on par with industry standards, honestly, I don't think they should be charging 60$ for this.

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
I'm playing it on base PS4 and there have been a fair amount of tech issues; textures popping in late, freezing for 5 to 10 secs when transitioning, and the load times when you first start and when you die.
It's been fun but I rented it from redbox and if you are thinking of it maybe wait til black Friday and get it a bit cheaper. The story isn't mind blowing. Stuff Jim mentions like enemies being cheap or not being able to judge if you can make a jump are definitely true. One part has you slow a blade down and leap from it to a platform. It's midway through the game and it took way too long for me to get it cause it's fucked design. I looked on YT to make sure I was suppose to go that way.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Yeah it definitely has some problems but I'm surprised how much I like it. I played 6-7 hours straight as soon as I booted it up, which is rare for me, and I'm excited to play more. Playing on PC so it's a nice 60fps for the most part. A bit janky here and there, but this game is right up my alley. Miles better than the force unleashed which I thought was awful.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I'm playing on PS4 pro and that version isn't without issues either. I still have to watch the DF vid on the different systems but on Pro there is definitely some stuttering as the game loads in a next area while you're running. If you're changing skins/saber parts in the menus all the textures have to load in too. Loading after dying can take a while too. I just remembered there's a performance option in the menus, time to see if that makes a difference when I get back to it tonight.

Dr4gonb0rn

Aug 19, 2019
I think its great so far c. 10 hours in - copped for a origin premier one monther (£15) and I'll pick up on Steam in future.
Playing on Grandmaster so more rewarding combat and exploration is pretty fun too.
really can't complain for fifteen quid!
Star Wars - Souls-like - Uncharted I mean whats not to love?

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
Game is good so far, most combat complaints I think stem from a mixture of it being Respawn's first shot at this sort of combat and so some things being off, and on the other hand things not working exactly the same as another game they've played and then blaming the game. There are some obvious flaws though, primarily enemies rotating on the spot to face you Dark Souls 2 style, and some dodgy hitboxes.

Also I laugh at people throwing around nebulous terms like "up to industry standards". What does that even mean?

Oct 31, 2017
Been playing about 6 or so hours on the Xbox one X and I've been having an absolute blast. I actually find it hard to criticize some parts because the overall package is just such a great experience. There's 2 reasons I think people would likely not enjoy the game:

1) they despise dark souls game play, the game is very similar (yet a bit different) to dark souls or sekiro in a way I like but others may not feel so inclined.

2) if you don't like Star Wars there's almost zero reason why someone should/would want to play the game

maybe my impressions will change but so far it's just an incredibly well made game, Respawn is really showing off their diverse talent and it's awesome. Hope others enjoy it as much as I have.

PerfectFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I really want to like this game, and the exploration is pretty good, but I just cant enjoy the combat at all. It tends to range from frustrating to tedious. I dont think it's particularly hard, just not very well thought out.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Combat is good, but not perfect. Most people on this forum only seem to be happy with a 1:1 copy of Souls or Sekiro though and complain that their muscle memory doesn't transfer 1:1 or some other stuff. Sure, there are similarities but people even called God of Wars (ps4) Combat Souls like. Everything is Souls like today.

Exploration is okay, level design is Souls-like. No, I'm kidding. It's really okay though. But needs time before opening up and there are some rather linear sections. You'll visit many planets, all have their own tropes. Some are more difficult than others, there is backtracking involved but I never minded it because traversal and combat is fun and fast.

Loot. There is none. Mostly ponchos and skins. Which is a shame but I guess they had to make decision on what to spend development time on.

As a Star Wars Fan, the last third impressed me a lot. THAT was an awesome ride with many surprises! 9.0/10.

But if you are just looking for a nice action adventure and star wars is whatever to you. Yes, another year of development would have brought this to excellent status.
But even now it's an honest and good game. Nothing wrong with it. As an action adventure just not in the same league as God of War. A good 8.3/10

Mar 29, 2018
It has rough edges, but the gamefeel of both combat and exploration is awesome. Combat later on when you get better, more tightly designed one-on-one encounters feels incredible, and the lightsaber is just an all-time classic. Exploration starts OK, a little tame, but later the levels get bloody huge.

The "Star Wars" energy also pushes it way beyond the sum of its parts. It feels so good exploring that universe in a deep and meaningful way - something we've almost never been able to do before.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
I never heard a technical mess on PS4 in any point to the DF video...
Yeah, they don't say the word obviously while describing the issues many times during the review. At the end of the video, "the technical issues are concerning", "Polish is not there", "game needed another 3-4 months to solve these". You'll find several summaries of the base consoles issues in the thread, and countless posts describing them.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
I think I agree with Jim on all points. Human enemies are way more fun to fight than the wildlife.

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
I'm playing on PS4 pro and that version isn't without issues either. I still have to watch the DF vid on the different systems but on Pro there is definitely some stuttering as the game loads in a next area while you're running. If you're changing skins/saber parts in the menus all the textures have to load in too. Loading after dying can take a while too. I just remembered there's a performance option in the menus, time to see if that makes a difference when I get back to it tonight.
The Performance mode doesn't really help due to the wide uncapped framerate range. DF recommends quality mode. I'm playing on X and have similar issues.

That said, I'm having a blast between combat and exploration and I'm glad I picked it up.

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
In relation to combat he says he started out playing on hard due to its similarities to Dark Souls but turned it back down to normal after playing it for some time and started to enjoy it more. Exploration seems to be very metroidvania from what I've read here and in reviews

The exploration is definitely a big plus for me. I just had
Combat is good, but not perfect. Most people on this forum only seem to be happy with a 1:1 copy of Souls or Sekiro though and complain that their muscle memory doesn't transfer 1:1 or some other stuff. Sure, there are similarities but people even called God of Wars (ps4) Combat Souls like. Everything is Souls like today.

Exploration is okay, level design is Souls-like. No, I'm kidding. It's really okay though. But needs time before opening up and there are some rather linear sections. You'll visit many planets, all have their own tropes. Some are more difficult than others, there is backtracking involved but I never minded it because traversal and combat is fun and fast.

Loot. There is none. Mostly ponchos and skins. Which is a shame but I guess they had to make decision on what to spend development time on.

As a Star Wars Fan, the last third impressed me a lot. THAT was an awesome ride with many surprises! 9.0/10.

But if you are just looking for a nice action adventure and star wars is whatever to you. Yes, another year of development would have brought this to excellent status.
But even now it's an honest and good game. Nothing wrong with it. As an action adventure just not in the same league as God of War. A good 8.3/10

Nope. Star Wars is a big to me. Glad to hear you liked it even more as a Star Wars fan.

Biggzy

Oct 27, 2017
Having got a fair way into the game and having watched the video I will have to concur with all the points he has made.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
I actually completed the game this weekend which is uncharacteristic for me, I usually take my time still playing Borderlands 3, Gears 5, and The Outer Worlds leisurely and slowly. But gamestop was offering to trade back the game in for $59.99 by sunday night and I finished the game 30 mins before my gamestop closed haha

I enjoyed it, its imo a perfect length at around 18-20 hours to complete the story and ~30 hours if you want to 100% the game (lots of secrets and stuff). I'll rebuy digitally when it drops in price to get 100% the of secrets and stuff and keep around.

Its not a GREAT game, the story and characters are weak or underdeveloped, the combat is average at best, the secrets are full of just garbage (DOZENS of lightsaber parts or ponchos or skins) instead of cool easter eggs or lore. There is some, but extremely limited compared to the junk. The environments and visuals are fantastic though, very immersive and Star Wars-y, right after watching the Mandalorian its fantastic playing in the same world. Timing was perfect on that.

End of the day if you're a star wars fan I think you gotta play it, if you aren't I'm not sure -- its below a dozen other great games released this year so play those first?

I actually ended up playing Star Wars Battlefront 2 for the first time in months afterwards and REALLY enjoyed that as well.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Yeah I'm pretty much with him on this. It's a good game given recent SW titles but also pretty uninspired and should be so much better than it is.

Sponged

Oct 29, 2017
Then 3 years wasn't enough, also I'd expect them to shell out the money to get a game on par with industry standards, honestly, I don't think they should be charging 60$ for this.
Have you actually played the game?

Most the criticism I see for this is from people who haven't played it.

This is easily one of the better games to come out this year with a long meaty single player, to say it's not worth $60 is like saying no single player only game is worth full price.

There's some technical problems but nothing I've seen that's game breaking and it's stuff I've seen in other equally highly rated games this gen, which will hopefully be ironed out soon.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The core is utterly fantastic and the game has moments of sheer brilliance but the technical foibles are really grating which is why the Metascore is closer to 8 than to 9.

Fingers crossed they patch this game soon because with a performance boost and a handful of easily implemented tweaks it's GOTY for me.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah I'm pretty much with him on this. It's a good game given recent SW titles but also pretty uninspired and should be so much better than it is.
I guess I don't get that last part. I grew up with DOZENS of generic, often poor Star Wars titles. They outnumber even decent titles 10:1. For every KOTOR there's a Masters of the Teräs Käsi. For every Rogue Squadron there's a Star Wars: Obi-Wan.

This seems to be about on par with some of the better titles the franchise has ever produced.

Last edited:

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
Watched the GBQL of this yesterday and I was shocked by how janky it was with how animations don't line up, character clearly floating over the ground or the lower half of his legs clipping through elevated surfaces. Plus the weird run animation where it seems like it was motion captured at times then procedural generated but the game doesn't know exactly when to be which.

Nothing super bad or game breaking or anything but when I see comparisons to Naughty Dog games well I just didn't expect to see these kind of blemishes.

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm surprised this thread is about a Jim Sterling impressions video and nobody's talking about what he actually said.

I haven't played it yet, but it looks... Fine, I suppose. But I do agree with Sterling that a Souls-like combat system doesn't fit a lightsaber combat game as much as a Devil May Cry-style system would. Fallen Order just looks too slow-paced and "grounded" for a game where you're playing someone who is basically a magic samurai.

Honestly, when you've got a lot more verticality, significantly faster combat pace and a lot more force powers in Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy, Fallen Older feels like a significant downgrade. I guess it's probably an improvement over The Force Unleashed, though, the lightsaber combat in that game was garbage.

Last edited:

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I actually completed the game this weekend which is uncharacteristic for me, I usually take my time still playing Borderlands 3, Gears 5, and The Outer Worlds leisurely and slowly. But gamestop was offering to trade back the game in for $59.99 by sunday night and I finished the game 30 mins before my gamestop closed haha

I enjoyed it, its imo a perfect length at around 18-20 hours to complete the story and ~30 hours if you want to 100% the game (lots of secrets and stuff). I'll rebuy digitally when it drops in price to get 100% the of secrets and stuff and keep around.

Its not a GREAT game, the story and characters are weak or underdeveloped, the combat is average at best, the secrets are full of just garbage (DOZENS of lightsaber parts or ponchos or skins) instead of cool easter eggs or lore. There is some, but extremely limited compared to the junk. The environments and visuals are fantastic though, very immersive and Star Wars-y, right after watching the Mandalorian its fantastic playing in the same world. Timing was perfect on that.

End of the day if you're a star wars fan I think you gotta play it, if you aren't I'm not sure -- its below a dozen other great games released this year so play those first?

I actually ended up playing Star Wars Battlefront 2 for the first time in months afterwards and REALLY enjoyed that as well.
As someone who's not a Star Wars fan and cares a lot about story, storytelling, and characters, rewards of exploration, reading this made me want to skip it.

The force powers and superhero abilities don't seem as fun or varied to use as in Control.