• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
User Warned: Threadwhining
How come Jim is the only person who doesn't have a main thread for his podcast? What makes his opinion greater than everyone else? I don't feel like he's better than everyone else, so why this special treatment?

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
"Selling right now, on Steam"
"Screens on the video shows it's not on sale".
Worst thing is that kind of trash only comes to light because people like Jim Sterling actively seek them and make videos about them.
Thank you Mister Sterling for taking this trash out of the can to give it exposure !

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
Ha, think many of us thought of Sterling upon hearing Valve's stance

How come Jim is the only person who doesn't have a main thread for his podcast? What makes his opinion greater than everyone else? I don't feel like he's better than everyone else, so why this special treatment?

Is...is this a parody of Angry Joe thread posts D:

GlitchF5

Dec 18, 2017

I mean regardless of the popularity of the person making the content, I think it's more important to talk about the topics he brings up in this thread, which is Valve not having any sort of quality control on their platform which is causing a variety of issues.

Personally my biggest gripe is that the Steam Platform created (if not created, really helped curate) the "buy before complete" business model and once many "game studios" saw how that worked many others decided to emulate for a quick cash grab.

That being said, if a customer is willing to buy an unfinished product the problem goes both ways.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's kind of baffling that Valve could've chose to approached this literally any way and they chose the incorrect way. Right after their contraversey of letting a school shooting simulator on their store.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The best way to make threads disappear is to ignore them.

Oct 28, 2017
Wow, I had to search the Steam store for AIDS Simulator. The description is horrific. Valve will regret this decision.

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
And this is why a lot of indie games are selling better on the Switch, lol. Well that + game drought.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
There's a big leap from "you can sell whatever you want as long as it's not illegal, we don't care" to "VALVE ENDORSES BROKEN GAMES", but of course Sterling is more than willing to take that leap.

SweetVermouth

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
The worst part about this is, that it buries genuine great indie games under a pile of garbage. Everytime I read how good some indie games sell on Nintendo Switch and how abysmal sales on steam where, I'm extremely disappointed.

EDIT:
Yes, yes I guess I'm wrong!!

Last edited:

Deleted member 24118

Oct 29, 2017
And this is why a lot of indie games are selling better on the Switch, lol. Well that + game drought.

Why don't they sell more on curated PC storefronts? Surely if curation was the key GOG would be the foremost store for indie games.

(I'm going to laugh if somebody suggests that the average PC gamer is oblivious to GOG's existence in the year 2018)

ronin_cse

Oct 30, 2017
Really sick of Valve and how they operate, I for one have been trying to buy as much as I can from places like GOG...does anyone know if Valve gets a cut of the purchase if I buy from places like Humble Bundle and Green Man Gaming (assuming I'm buying a game that redeems on Steam)???

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
The worst part about this is, that it buries genuine great indie games under a pile of garbage. Everytime I read how good some indie games sell on Nintendo Switch and how abysmal sales on steam where, I'm extremely disappointed.

What buries good indie games is better indie games. If you believe assets flip are overshadowing actual good games, you're definitely wrong.
What's burrying indies are basically bigger indies because guess what, bigger indies now come with AA or even sometimes AAA production values in a price point close to the smaller releases. We arrived in a time where there's so so many good releases everyday that being a cute platformer or a pixel metroidvania wont cut it anymore to sell a lot. Except on far less crowded places.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Indie devs have literally said before that due to the deluge of shit that clogs up the New section on Steam it's impossible for legitimate indie games to stand out

Then why do the better ones stand out in the New and Popular section ?
Which indie dev actually said what you're claiming ?

Really sick of Valve and how they operate, I for one have been trying to buy as much as I can from places like GOG...does anyone know if Valve gets a cut of the purchase if I buy from places like Humble Bundle and Green Man Gaming (assuming I'm buying a game that redeems on Steam)???

They dont. Devs get to produce steam keys for no fee, which is the reason why other stores can exist. That's how bad Valve operate in in the industry.

Deleted member 5167

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Worst thing is that kind of trash only comes to light because people like Jim Sterling actively seek them and make videos about them.
Thank you Mister Sterling for taking this trash out of the can to give it exposure !

It takes significantly more work to find something good people have never heard of and extoll its virtues than to find some lazy meme crap and point and laugh.

Indie devs have literally said before that due to the deluge of shit that clogs up the New section on Steam it's impossible for legitimate indie games to stand out

Indie devs have literally said that their biggest impediment to success is the deluge of quality titles that they are directly in competition with.

e:
sauce
Jg4fdVP.gif

Last edited:

thefro

Oct 25, 2017
I generally agree they should curate these things even though it's going to be hard to set up a set of standards where GTA V and Manhunt 2 are okay but garbage games that are only set up to let you simulate awful things and have no artistic merit get disallowed.

Sabretooth

Oct 27, 2017
India
There's a big leap from "you can sell whatever you want as long as it's not illegal, we don't care" to "VALVE ENDORSES BROKEN GAMES", but of course Sterling is more than willing to take that leap.
Pretty much this. I mean, Amazon sells Mein Kampf, so are we supposed to assume that the company personally endorses Nazism?

I will never understand why Jim views Steam as a publisher instead of a bookstore.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's kind of baffling that Valve could've chose to approached this literally any way and they chose the incorrect way. Right after their contraversey of letting a school shooting simulator on their store.

Seriously. The situation is almost fucking comedic.

"Guys, people seem upset that we let a school shooting game go up for sale, what should we do?"

"Everything is permitted."

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
But it is not a pile of garbage. Great indies are buried because of several factors:
a) PC platform has permanent backwards compatibility, which means that yo uare compiting against the best games of 20 years in your field. So you need to bring something special.
b) Since the early 2010s, more developers have become indies and have started to launch their games, with an increase of their quality. "Another pixel 2D platformer" is not going to sell just by itself (unless it has interestic dynamics).
c) Lots of indies do not have the ability to promote their games / still believe they dont need to promote their games, but as (b) shows, that means that noone knows they have launched (happens lots of times that you jsut know they launched after a few months, and that is for someone who follows the media).

TLDR: We have more than 40 "significant" releases in steam per month (and that is games that ahve been talked about and that can be seen in the PC Gaming notable releases for X month) which means that it is impossible to follow all of them. Competing against tons of classics and great games is hard to. Indies need to self-promote better now.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Selling does not necessarily mean endorsing. You can have the opinion as a storefront that these games are atrocious but still sell it because you are a storefront for selling games, be it whatever definition of a game you take. It still doesn't mean Valve should keep it up and should actively be removing these kinds of titles but the use of language is not correct.

What is clear is that a) this game actually isn't for sale and b) Valve needs to fix their storefront to be more stringent on quality checks.

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
PC gaming doesn't need curation. The open nature of the platform is It's biggest strengh. As long as the games aren't broken or illegal, I'm fine with asset flips, hentai VNs and poor taste titles such as Aids Simulator or Bum Simulator. But I do believe we need better tools to filter out games and genres we don't appreciate, and that's where Valve should be (and is) working right now.

BlueOdin

Oct 26, 2017
If you believe indie games get overshadowed by too much garbage in the Steam Store you reached the point where you watched too many Jim Sterling videos.

Jim Sterling should highlight the good stuff on Steam. But going by the reactions in threads about the topic his audience don't want to know.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I swear Jim spends more time moderating steam then Valve does. (I mean this as a slight against Valve. Jim just pointing out the bullshit Valve is OK with)

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
Every new great indy game in buried under my wishlist of 200 games and the games I bought but have yet to play.

RionaaM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The guy is getting free clicks with rehashed videos. He knows exactly what he's doing, and it's clear he loves the fact that these games keep being made.

The best way to make threads disappear is to ignore them.
The best way to make shitty games disappear is to ignore them. Which Steam lets you do easily.

Sure, I wanted to buy Runner3 but had to swim through an ocean of bad games instead... Actually, those bad games don't even appear in my store. It's not a case of signal-to-noise, the noise is definitely not there unless you want it to. And I don't.

Wintermute

Oct 27, 2017
Selling does not necessarily mean endorsing. You can have the opinion as a storefront that these games are atrocious but still sell it because you are a storefront for selling games, be it whatever definition of a game you take. It still doesn't mean Valve should keep it up and should actively be removing these kinds of titles but the use of language is not correct.

What is clear is that a) this game actually isn't for sale and b) Valve needs to fix their storefront to be more stringent on quality checks.

yeah i agree. i dont think there's any kind of passive endorsement by valve for something like this game.

otoh by their very nebulous statement re they'll take stuff down that trolls, i feel like a game which outright proudly states it's an asset flip is basically trolling, so should readily be able to be taken down.

the real question is will they ever bother to do this unless a certain title starts getting mainstream media attention.

i have very little faith in valve these days.

Snormy

I'll think about it
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest

This is my take away from it as well and it was briefly brought up in the video.

As someone who enjoys Valve's games, really like the platform and the sales I have to admit that it is increasingly disappointing to see this issue continue to plague them for so long. This hasn't cropped up out of no where and it is something that has been called out again and again. I guess now I just wonder at what point will Valve actually do something. To me, Steam is as bad as any App store when it comes general browsing of items. Sifting through pages of low effort games isn't fun and if anything when I finally find something that looks mildly interesting I'm already wary of giving the game a chance.

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What this means is that since stores have the responsibility to control what they're, like literally every storefront physically or digitally, they actually don't care until it either effects their bottom line or they really land in hot water like with Facebook. Tech companies are objectively terrible when it comes to social issues.

FantaSoda

Oct 28, 2017
What buries good indie games is better indie games. If you believe assets flip are overshadowing actual good games, you're definitely wrong.
What's burrying indies are basically bigger indies because guess what, bigger indies now come with AA or even sometimes AAA production values in a price point close to the smaller releases. We arrived in a time where there's so so many good releases everyday that being a cute platformer or a pixel metroidvania wont cut it anymore to sell a lot. Except on far less crowded places.

My take on it is that only the absolute top tier indies find their way through the noise. When I have criticism of the Steam Store, I will always hear the same "you have to search for the garbage" line. However, the legacy of Steam is that it used to be a place where you could go "off-road" from the store and still find quality games. Quality control doesn't matter for the top, it matters for the middle and bottom of the store. That is exactly the part of the store where gems ARE getting lost in the mix with the junk. If the sub-AA tier indie had visibility once you went off the front page, then none of us would spend any time on this issue.

I wish that the two sides of this debate would just agree to disagree because we've been fighting this forever. It is the same shrill battle I guess that is going to be fought until the end of time. One side, going "I'm not feeling this" and the other side going "WHERE?! WHERE IS IT BAD?! SHOW ME THE SCREENSHOTS!" until the sun burns out. I remember on the old forum posting screenshots of my steam searches and "Recommended" games because I felt I needed to "prove" what i was talking about. Of course, it was handwaved and ignored.

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
Then why do the better ones stand out in the New and Popular section ?
Which indie dev actually said what you're claiming ?

In this ongoing series which Jim Sterling continues to do regarding Valve and Steam, he's repeatedly pointed out that the indie developers have a problem with this. Case in point, here's one from his video back in November.

kstehmY.jpg

And here's another one in the same video:

c5CCotS.png

To be clear, this problem with Steam's curation is something that Indie Developers have repeatedly taken issue with time and time again. I do not know where this narrative that indie developers don't care about this problem came from because they do, a lot.

byDoS

Oct 25, 2017
Jim is more toxic than the games he occasionally brought to light with his videos.

And oh my God with the "endorses"... Tell me about fake news.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
My take on it is that only the absolute top tier indies find their way through the noise. When I have criticism of the Steam Store, I will always hear the same "you have to search for the garbage" line. However, the legacy of Steam is that it used to be a place where you could go "off-road" from the store and still find quality games. Quality control doesn't matter for the top, it matters for the middle and bottom of the store. That is exactly the part of the store where gems ARE getting lost in the mix with the junk. If the sub-AA tier indie had visibility once you went off the front page, then none of us would spend any time on this issue.

I wish that the two sides of this debate would just agree to disagree because we've been fighting this forever. It is the same shrill battle I guess that is going to be fought until the end of time. One side, going "I'm not feeling this" and the other side going "WHERE?! WHERE IS IT BAD?! SHOW ME THE SCREENSHOTS!" until the sun burns out. I remember on the old forum posting screenshots of my steam searches and "Recommended" games because I felt I needed to "prove" what i was talking about. Of course, it was handwaved and ignored.

It's not only the top tier. The top tier is the only one to reach beyond 100k. It's just that now the midtier is too crowded. It's easier to exist as a pixelart metroidvania when there where 2 games on the store that were like this.
It's far more difficult now when, for the same price, you have metroidvanias with handdrawn visuals, symphonic soundtracks, or with amazing gameplay twists. It's far more difficult when there's 100 more games like you for the same price.

These games dont stand out anymore. Not only they fight for your money compared to far better games but also for your time.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a bit of both. Steam is flooded with amazing games. But usability is hindered by bloat and DLC packs and stuff filling up the "New" lists in addition to the extremely poor quality games. Steam has a discoverability problem.

OP
OP
Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
In this ongoing series which Jim Sterling continues to do regarding Valve and Steam, he's repeatedly pointed out that the indie developers have a problem with this. Case in point, here's one from his video back in November.

kstehmY.jpg

c5CCotS.png

To be clear, this problem with Steam's curation is something that Indie Developers have repeatedly taken issue with time and time again. I do not know where this narrative that indie developers don't care about this problem came from because they do, a lot.

The thing is how true that actually is.

I mean I can make a game, it wont sell and then complain it didnt sell because of the "trash" games.
Lets say I make a new puzzle plattformer on Steam, do you think it wont sell because of Aids Simulator or because of the 1000 other puzzle plattformers that are already on Steam?

RionaaM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a bit of both. Steam is flooded with amazing games. But usability is hindered by bloat and DLC packs and stuff filling up the "New" lists in addition to the extremely poor quality games. Steam has a discoverability problem.
That's a totally different discussion, and a very valid one. Discoverability tools should indeed be improved. What I disagree with is removing those things from the store, when simply hiding them is enough.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017

kstehmY.jpg

c5CCotS.png

It's nice to see these two pictures because they exactly prove my point. I know what FDG is refering too and here's why they've been struggling:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/446810/Blossom_Tales_The_Sleeping_King/

I'm sorry but in 2017-2018, your cute top down view average looking pixelart Zelda clone wont cut it. Especially for that price or without marketing. Because Hyper Light Drifter came by and stole your lunch for the same price range. Because, with all due respect to the creators involved, there's dozens of other title like yours on the market already.
Moonlighter released on Steam abd already outsold it by a good margin (between 50k-100k sales) because guess what ?
It had a unique twist and better production values.

In fact, I'll tell something that may sound harsh but which is also true: If Valve had to put some form of curation on their store, it is titles like Blossom Tales that would be kept out of the door.

As for Imageeform, I have no doubt they enjoyed a better success on Switch. They've been marketting hand to hand with Nintendo and even had some sort of exclusivity involved iirc.