• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Come on dude, you do a search for Metroidvania on the Switch store and you get a page of results and you do a search for Metroidvania on Steam and you get 200 pages of results. Only a small percentage of people click past the first page of search results in any SEO situation. It doesn't matter how many pages of results you have, it matters what shows up on that first page. In fact, what matters most is what shows up in those first few positions, and all of the platforms have heavy hitters in those positions. The Switch store is plenty crowded, Nintendo has just figured out a better way to present indies on their platform and has better quality control, so consumers are more willing to go "off-road".

If I'm browsing the Playstation store, I can throw a rock in any genre and search through the list. I might find an absolute stinker, but I'm much more likely to find a complete gem surrounded by mediocre titles. On Steam, due to their open nature, I will absolutely 100% find a total junk game if I interact with it any deeper than the top level of the store. Because I have no guarantee of quality, why would I interact with the store any deeper?
Look at the metroidvania tag:
https://store.steampowered.com/tags/en/Metroidvania/
Search according to user reviews:
https://store.steampowered.com/search/?sort_by=Reviews_DESC&tags=1628
It takes until page 8 to start getting mixed reviewed games.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Oct 25, 2017
In part.. he is part of the problem. I had never heard about that game, now thank to him I know it, a lot of people know it, and a lot of people are going to buy it... not because it's a good game, just for the lulz. He already made money of shitty games of steam. He should put time and effort to show good indiea games. Of my subscribres he is the onlyone who complain about shitty games on steam, and he is the one that showcase them the most.
He won't make as much money from them though. That's what he actually cares about.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
And digital homicide got pulled from the store for it's awful practices, as it should have been.

It's gonna end up on my recommend games list either way thanks to Steam's awful algorithms. I say the more awareness about these games going for shock value the better. It worked before, it'll work again.

No it wont.

Deleted member 896

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I continue to not really be able to draw a meaningful conclusion about what needs to happen in terms of problem-solving. On the one hand, I think personally think this absolute hands off policy just kind of makes Valve look lazy and agree that it makes for bad optics. I'm not saying it's something where you just flip a switch and the problem is solved, but there's got to be something that constitutes some bare minimum amount of visible effort that could make some meaningful impact on the amount of pure garbage that exists on the store.

But on the other hand, I'm not necessarily convinced that this would solve some tangible problem. As the consumer, I don't see this crap to begin with outside of stories/videos like these ones. And as for the indie dev problem, while I don't think pure garbage clogging the system has zero impact on their sales, I think the much bigger problem is that this isn't a platform that will ever reset back to day 0 again. There's a ton of great games out there and a ton of ways to buy them. Even if Valve weren't a lazy company content to just sit back and count the money rolling in and actually took a machete to all the garbage on their site, there's still a ton of games left. It would help, but I don't really think that this would solve the discoverability issue. I feel like most platforms encounter this issue as they mature.

OP
OP
Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
You have the steamspy numbers off hand?

Slaughtering Grounds has 50-100k.
Forsaken Uprising has 50-100k.
Tempter Tantrum has 50-100k.

Digital Homicide made a bundle where you could get a lot of their games for 1 or 2$, away from Steam without the 30% cut.
So he made at least, I estimate, 50k $ before taxes with the games.

I doubt without Jim they would have even 1k owners.

DOBERMAN INC

Oct 27, 2017
Sterling doing his one step away from Nightcrawler videos again I see.

I do wish Valve would sort this mess out though.

olubode

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, that response from Valve doesn't surprise me considering the overwhelming demographic of the decision makers over there.

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017

Deleted member 5167

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No this dilemma only exists because Valve does not want to spend money on doing actual curation.

But they do do basic curation, that a game is what it says it is, isn't a keylogger, and actually boots. They have done this for a long time now, behind the scenes.
The actual problem is a philosophical one - they do not want to be a gatekeeper telling people what they are or are not allowed to buy, or what a developer is or is not allowed to produce.

For people who want a shop where some authority has personally vetted every single product available, you have multiple choices of where to shop.

Rappy

Oct 28, 2017
Seriously. The situation is almost fucking comedic.

"Guys, people seem upset that we let a school shooting game go up for sale, what should we do?"

"Everything is permitted."
It's baffling that people are actually believing Valve will permit everything and actually never remove any game (good or bad). They removed that game and every other game from that "dev". It's hilariously sad people are only taking these statements as all or nothing.

Last edited:

Stitch

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
oh hey they made a new one

https://store.steampowered.com/app/862620/Triggering_Simulator/
Do you get easily triggered by garbage games that can hardly be seen unless specifically looked for? Are you a mediocre at best developer who loves to blame his failure on others? Is your money earned by making videos showcasing trash games instead of promoting decent ones? Do you enjoy collecting every single game that exists even though you may never play them ever? Or maybe you're just a crybaby who is desperately looking for an excuse to complain.

It doesn't matter, you are all our precious ca$h cows. We have another trash-tier barely functional product to sell, called Triggering Simulator. And as you may have guessed, people might get triggered just by its mere existence! We simply could not care any less, we're not here to make a point, we're here to make EZ money. As long as people keep buying, we keep selling. GL HF!

zGcYGN9.png

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nope, and I didn't mean to imply you did. I was just pointing out how no one has to see games they don't want to.

I agree with you. Though i wish some shit wasn't allowed to be sold on Steam, ultimately i can deal with it because i can avoid it.

My post was regarding the usual thread whining.

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
That argument is completely nonsensical. A better analogy would be someone scribbling antisemitic trash on a fast food wrapper and asking it to be sold at the bookstore.
Someone can scribble anti-Semitic trash probably will be able to sell it on the Kindle store though.

The kindle store has an unfathomable amount of trash alt-right books that are just on the brink of lawful when it comes to hateful shit.

Deleted member 2321

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's baffling that people are actually believing Valve will permit everything and actually never remove any game. They removed that game and every other game from that "dev". It's hilariously sad people are only taking these statements as all or nothing.

They are never proactive though.

Oct 25, 2017
^^
"Is your money earned by making videos showcasing trash games instead of promoting decent ones?"
lol.

FantaSoda

Oct 28, 2017
Look at the metroidvania tag:
https://store.steampowered.com/tags/en/Metroidvania/
Search according to user reviews:
https://store.steampowered.com/search/?sort_by=Reviews_DESC&tags=1628
It takes until page 8 to start getting mixed reviewed games.

You are absolutely right, you have completely defeated my argument. The Steam store IS great and the problem isn't that consumers have completely lost trust in using the platform, it is that it is TOO GOOD. You are so right, I'm not buying Celeste on Steam because it is just too tiring and overwhelming to scroll past page after page of quality. I mean, once Super Meat Boy showed up in my search results what is the point of looking any further? I'm glad that we settled this argument and that everyone who had complaints about the Steam store can just admit that WE were wrong. I'm sure that everything is just going to go swell from here on out.

neon_dream

Dec 18, 2017
Hosting, surfacing on their storefront, and profiting from its sale is 100% an endorsement of everything from the message the game is sending to players (ultimately still Valve's customers) to how the the game was produced (theft of the work of others, non-existent executable, etc.)

Is it?

Imagine a world where you can't say anything unless your government approves of the content of what you say.

Valve is espousing an ideology. They are espousing an ideology as old as the internet: free and open computing platforms. That's the idea Tim Berners-Lee had when he designed the world wide web.

Steam is a digital software store. It's not a government or a country. If Valve doesn't "curate" products, that is not the equivalent of promoting a libertarian agenda.

Steam is not a war-time profiteer. If products make their way onto their platform, that does not imply a ringing moral endorsement on Valve's part. You have an interesting argument of implicit moral responsibility in the form of profit, however there's a fine line to draw.

That line is the value of an open platform versus the potential damage caused by one of these products. The value of an open platform is self evident. Before Steam PC was a disaster, a mess. That can't be argued. Steam is to be credited for creating a service that unified the PC gaming market.

Now what's the potential damage of one of these terrible products, like AIDS Simulator?

How many of these crappy games do you see on the front page of Steam. Because I see 0 of them. How many of these games get any attention at all? Well, every couple of months we seem to see maybe 1 with some outrageously offensive concept. However this never seems to translate into sales success, just derision.

I would much rather Steam exist as it is, an open and easily accessible platform. That means users, developers, publishers, everyone. All I want to see from Valve are better discovery tools, better ways to filter what I am interested in seeing and better ways to drill down into the available games. I'll "curate" my own experience. I don't need Valve to hand feed me what they think I should see.

Personally, despite the mis-characterization of Steam as some storefront inundated with so much garbage the good stuff is unfindable, I think that's the healthiest path.

On a related note: I can find just as much total garbage on "curated" storefronts, like iOS, as I can on Steam. Often I find it more easily. "Curation" on these platforms is nothing more than running a marquee list, said list filled by products from large (wealthy) publishers and a few critical hits. That's not curation, like a museum. It's the same money-driven advertising that runs television, movie theaters, and grocery stores.

Last edited:

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Indie devs have literally said before that due to the deluge of shit that clogs up the New section on Steam it's impossible for legitimate indie games to stand out
Actually the most common opinion between indie Devs is that it's the amount of good games that present a issue, not the amount of bad ones. The bad ones are literally completely and utterly irrelevant. No games are stopping standing out because of them.

Deleted member 24118

Oct 29, 2017
Im not sure we even have that data, do we?

There are post-mortems for many games, they're more or less unanimous in stating that they barely move anything on GOG. Note that GOG is not some unknown quantity in the PC space, people know they exist, but nobody bothers going there.

Here's a Reddit thread asking indie devs which non-Steam stores they recommend putting their games on. Almost all of them recommend itch.io or Humble Store (both of which are far less well known than GOG) over GOG, citing the fact that GOG's curation means the possibility of getting your work rejected isn't worth the tiny amount of sales you'll see.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But they do do basic curation, that a game is what it says it is, isn't a keylogger, and actually boots. They have done this for a long time now, behind the scenes.
The actual problem is a philosophical one - they do not want to be a gatekeeper telling people what they are or are not allowed to buy, or what a developer is or is not allowed to produce.

For people who want a shop where some authority has personally vetted every single product available, you have multiple choices of where to shop.

They philosophically don't want to spend money on this is what you mean.

"Go somewhere else if you don't like it" even though there are plenty of games on PC that launch on Steam only. I don't think that works for me.

There are post-mortems for many games, they're more or less unanimous in stating that they barely move anything on GOG. Note that GOG is not some unknown quantity in the PC space, people know they exist, but nobody bothers going there.

Here's a Reddit thread asking indie devs which non-Steam stores they recommend putting their games on. Almost all of them recommend itch.io or Humble Store (both of which are far less well known than GOG) over GOG, citing the fact that GOG's curation means the possibility of getting your work rejected isn't worth the tiny amount of sales you'll see.

As a person that wants Valve to actually take ownership of this issue, I'm not asking them to be GOG. I'm asking them to have common sense.

Before I address this response here's what I will say: Libertarianism is absolutely a complete washing of the hands of responsibility for anything. It is an immoral selfish ideology that I would call a disease. Money over morality, the way of Rand Paul and Gabe Newell.

Is it?

Imagine a world where you can't say anything unless your government approves of the content of what you say.

This has nothing to do with what we're talking about. Valve is a private entity.

Valve is espousing an ideology. They are espousing an ideology as old as the internet: free and open computing platforms. That's the idea Tim Berners-Lee had when he designed the world wide web.

Except not everything is accepted on the world wide web. Even it is curated by various organizations.

Steam is a digital software store. It's not a government or a country. If Valve doesn't "curate" products, that is not the equivalent of promoting a libertarian agenda.

Of course they are. Not being a government body doesn't mean they don't have a company philosophy on things.

Steam is not a war-time profiteer. If products make their way onto their platform, that does not imply a ringing moral endorsement on Valve's part. You have an interesting argument of implicit moral responsibility in the form of profit, however there's a fine line to draw.

Selling games that incite violence is not a 'ringing endorsement' but they are making money from these products. There is no fine line to draw, these products are unacceptable. Pretty much everyone I've seen in this thread agrees on this.

That line is the value of an open platform versus the potential damage caused by one of these products. The value of an open platform is self evident. Before Steam PC was a disaster, a mess. That can't be argued. Steam is to be credited for creating a service that unified the PC gaming market.

This is akin to the big supporters of the 2nd amendment implying that their gun rights are worth more than all the completely preventable deaths of thousands of Americans. It goes back to my point about how libertarianism is a selfish disease.

Now what's the potential damage of one of these terrible products, like AIDS Simulator?

I don't know, why don't you pay attention to the news where school shootings happen all the fucking time?

How many of these crappy games do you see on the front page of Steam. Because I see 0 of them. How many of these games get any attention at all? Well, every couple of months we seem to see maybe 1 with some outrageously offensive concept. However this never seems to translate into sales success, just derision.

Now we're talking about justifying them based on how well they're featured or how they sell. If they're not important games and they don't sell, why does Valve bother to deal with the backlash with that logic?

I would much rather Steam exist as it is, an open and easily accessible platform. That means users, developers, publishers, everyone. All I want to see from Valve are better discovery tools, better ways to filter what I am interested in seeing and better ways to drill down into the available games. I'll "curate" my own experience. I don't need Valve to hand feed me what they think I should see.

You're an adult and can make your own decisions, obviously, but not everyone thinks the way you do or is in a place to do this.

Personally, despite the mis-characterization of Steam as some storefront inundated with so much garbage the good stuff is unfindable, I think that's the healthiest path.

Who is making this characterization? Steam is inundated with mobile ports all the time. Most of them are junk.

On a related note: I can find just as much total garbage on "curated" storefronts, like iOS, as I can on Steam. Often I find it more easily. "Curation" on these platforms is nothing more than running the marquee list, said list filled by products from large (wealthy) publishers and a few critical hits. That's not curation, like a museum. It's the same money-driven advertising that runs television, movie theaters, and grocery stores.

Nice whataboutism. Did it ever occur to you that maybe those companies practices are garbage on this front as well?

Last edited:

random51

Banned
May 6, 2018
Considering Valve is an a damned if you do damned if you don't situation I think they made the right choice, regardless of misleading clickbait videos from Sterling. Maybe Youtube is the one that needs more curation.

ChasingANiche

Oct 26, 2017
Why do people transform into libertarians when it comes to defending valve? And not like, soft libertarians either, but three steps away from objectivism libertarian.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
You are absolutely right, you have completely defeated my argument. The Steam store IS great and the problem isn't that consumers have completely lost trust in using the platform, it is that it is TOO GOOD. You are so right, I'm not buying Celeste on Steam because it is just too tiring and overwhelming to scroll past page after page of quality. I mean, once Super Meat Boy showed up in my search results what is the point of looking any further? I'm glad that we settled this argument and that everyone who had complaints about the Steam store can just admit that WE were wrong. I'm sure that everything is just going to go swell from here on out.
Can you not be so passive aggressive?
I am just saying that Jim Sterling and most people way overestimate the effect of cash grabs games on Steam. The fact is that there is more "high quality" / "highy rated" games of most genres in Steam and that number will only ever keep increasing as more high quality indie games are being launched monthly now when compared to the start of the 2010s. There are issues of vissibility but those issues are not caused in major parts by the "trash" videogames but by other highly rated ones.

Deleted member 5167

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They philosophically don't want to spend money on this is what you mean.

"Go somewhere else if you don't like it" even though there are plenty of games on PC that launch on Steam only. I don't think that works for me.

If you buy a steam game from anywhere other than steam, valve do not make a penny from that sale. In fact, it will cost them money.
You may choose to believe that the only principle they have is "don;t spend money", but the number of projects they directly fund that have no tangible direct financial benefits to themselves does not support that, and to be honest the entire concept of "just throw money at it" as a solution to a problem is incredibly naive.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
we should collectively come together and find a solution to stop this.

and by "this" i mean jim sterling videos about steam.

Ascheroth

Oct 25, 2017
Come on dude, you do a search for Metroidvania on the Switch store and you get a page of results and you do a search for Metroidvania on Steam and you get 200 pages of results. Only a small percentage of people click past the first page of search results in any SEO situation. It doesn't matter how many pages of results you have, it matters what shows up on that first page. In fact, what matters most is what shows up in those first few positions, and all of the platforms have heavy hitters in those positions. The Switch store is plenty crowded, Nintendo has just figured out a better way to present indies on their platform and has better quality control, so consumers are more willing to go "off-road".

If I'm browsing the Playstation store, I can throw a rock in any genre and search through the list. I might find an absolute stinker, but I'm much more likely to find a complete gem surrounded by mediocre titles. On Steam, due to their open nature, I will absolutely 100% find a total junk game if I interact with it any deeper than the top level of the store. Because I have no guarantee of quality, why would I interact with the store any deeper?
This is what I get when I search for Metroidvania on Steam, sorted by Relevance (default)
eStaGsO.png

It takes 7 pages until you get the first 'Mixed' game (and there are still positive ones afterwards) and I either own or have half the games in those 7 pages on my wishlist.
This is your competition when you're trying to release a new Metroidvania.

Wulfram

Mar 3, 2018
In this ongoing series which Jim Sterling continues to do regarding Valve and Steam, he's repeatedly pointed out that the indie developers have a problem with this. Case in point, here's one from his video back in November.

kstehmY.jpg

And here's another one in the same video:

c5CCotS.png

To be clear, this problem with Steam's curation is something that Indie Developers have repeatedly taken issue with time and time again. I do not know where this narrative that indie developers don't care about this problem came from because they do, a lot.

Well, yeah, indie developers started complaining about too many things being allowed on the store as soon as they stopped complaining about not being allowed on the store.

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
There are more great games on Steam than all other stores combined but yes these trash games are what's really fucking things up for devs.

Deleted member 12447

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If 1000 games arrive on steam tomorrow, and 1 of them is good. how the fuck are you expected to find it, especially if it's from an indie dev without a lot of $ or manpower to promote it?

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
If 1000 games arrive on steam tomorrow, and 1 of them is good. how the fuck are you expected to find it, especially if it's from an indie dev without a lot of $ or manpower to promote it?

If 1000 games arrive on Steam tomorrow and all of them are good. How do you expect to find specifically one of them ?

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So the cause of school shootings is a game that was never even released?

I never said this.

Did you even read my full response to that other poster or are you just looking for a 'gotcha'? Seriously the lengths some people go to defend Valve on this issue is astonishing.

jim promotes stuff that i find to be hurtful to the video game community by spouting uninformed misinformation. i'm not specifically referencing this video.

Attacking Jim isn't going to change the fact that Valve's policy is garbage.