• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

NoWayOut

Oct 27, 2017
jim promotes stuff that i find to be hurtful to the video game community by spouting uninformed misinformation. i'm not specifically referencing this video.

I hope that your first witty post about "coming together to stop this", referring to somebody with an opinion different than yours expressing it in a YouTube video that nobody is forcing you to watch, was just that, an attempted at a witty reply.

You are entitled to your opinion just like Jim is to his. I tend to agree with him most of the time, but again that's just MY opinion. Sometimes we just have to agree to disagree that's all. There's nothing to stop.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There is a GTA5 mission set in a hospital where you can shoot male nurses:

GTA4 too and you can shoot civilians inside a hospital:

I'd be surprised if there isn't a hospital you can shoot up in GTAV but that video isn't a hospital despite the title and those aren't nurses. It's this building (which is a real place): http://gta.wikia.com/wiki/Los_Santos_County_Coroner_Office . At any rate, while the poster you're replying to is wrong there is a big difference between a game that allows those actions and a game where that is the objective

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
Anyone having issues with finding good games, I would like to point you to a thread I did last month: https://www.resetera.com/threads/too-many-good-games-managing-and-finding-new-releases.43425/

We are in a peculiar situation - there are just too many games released every week and we can't know them all, find them all, and play them all.

First and foremost, I would like to ask everyone not to get hung up on their own view on what is a good game, what is shovelware, what is asset flip and what is just plain bad. People have different tastes and this thread is about trying to help to manage the flood of games and to find the gems that the individual person likes.

1. Steams own curation System - Curators.
What are curators? With steams own description: Steam Curators are individuals or organizations that make recommendations to help others discover interesting games in the Steam catalog. You can follow one or more curators to see their recommendations appear on your Steam home page and in your community activity feed.
- Just looking at the top curators can give you a good idea what they find are one of the best games on Steam right now (if they are active) But for most of the top curators you will find, that they recommend primarily known titles (if you also relative know what's up in the gaming world)
- specialized curators are your friends! Following a Curator that only highlights good games from a specific genre, will serve you more than a big curator that is broader in scope. So, it is more likely that you find a good 4X strategy game from someone who only has 1000 Followers but specializes in 4X games, than from a Curator that has 350.000 Followers and has no specialty.
- so, how to find the specialized Curator? Gaming the system: Just open the Store-Page of a game from a genre you like and scroll down until you find the Curators. In that part of the page, all curators will be listed (after clicking it) that have recommended this game. Ignoring the generalist curators, you can find a specialized Curator quickly.

2. Hidden Gems. Our own @Wok has a github site (https://gist.github.com/woctezuma) where he has several different breakdowns on hidden gems, best Publishers, most reliable Devs/Pubs, etc.

Wok has two repositories to try to discover or re-discover games, devs and publishers:
There are also closer looks at Steam releases, and Humble Monthly Bundles, over time;

3. Youtube.
Regardless of your stance or view on let's plays - Youtube Let's Player's are a great source for finding good games.
- make use of specialized let's players. Someone who primarily plays Racing games, probably will also - at least - make a video about a hot new racing game. Many Dev's and Publishers also actively seek out those specialized channels, because they know the Youtuber likes those types of games and more importantly, the audience of the Youtuber likes those games, they have more success with those little, specialized Youtubers than trying to get the big youtubers to play their game.
- your stance on Let's plays doesn't have to impair what you get out of the Youtuber. You don't need to watch his/her videos, you just need the visibility on what games the Youtuber is playing.
- more is better. Don't just follow one specialized Youtuber, you get a better picture with a bigger sample size. If 4 out of your 6 City-Builder specialized Youtubers are playing the same new game, it might be worth to take a look yourself.
- But all those Youtubers will spam my Subscription page! Gaming the system: make a new Google account and just use it for those Youtubers.

4. Twitch.
- Just looking at Twitch's most viewed games can give you a good measure on what's currently popular.
- but Twitch is prone to games that are good for streaming, so not many genres have a big userbase on Twitch.

5. Discovery Queue and Tags.
- You can manage your discovery queue to exclude not yet released games, software, videos, early access, and specific tags.
- also clicking on any tag, will get you a list of every game that is tagged with that specific word.

6. Recommendations.
- Buying "trash" bundles and idling cards will fu** up your store recommendations for a while. The algorythm takes games bought and played into account. So idling cards from the last Visual novel Humble bundle will get your store recommendations and discovery queue spammed with Visual novels. Excluding the most common tag (like visual novel) for a while is advised.

I hope that some of those examples may help you in finding good games and supporting the developer that has issues standing out in the sea of good games.

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting. Is this still part of their "old" ways or it's using the "new rules"?

It probably falls under "trolling" (I know that this isn't the game mentioned in the tweet). Though I don't think Valve are changing their guidelines, so I don't think there's any "old" or "new".

DeadManIV

Nov 16, 2017
UK
Amazon self-publishing would. Does that endorse the scribbles?

Is that actually true? I tried to access the site but for some reason it doesn't work for me (https://kdp.amazon.com/). Which sucks. But if you can actually create an ebook of some scribbles, that would be amazing.

I've been re-thinking my opinion on this to be honest. Good and bad are subjective, they always have been. Valve owns Steam and thus has the right to sell whatever it pleases. I personally believe the trash like Aids Sim has no place on Steam, but if it's not actually hurting anyone then I don't really see the problem. From what I've been reading, it seems that decent devs don't have trouble competing with the trash, and apparently people don't generally see the trash in their trawling of Steam's catalogue. And if that is indeed true. Then there's no problem anymore right? Steam has since taken down Aids Sim, but I honestly don't think it really matters. Do what you want people, it's a free country.

As to whether it's considered an endorsement, I just don't know. I feel like by having something in your store, you are saying it's okay to sell it. It's okay to buy it. It's legal. If a store decided to stop selling something would it count as the opposite of an endorsement? Does that then mean that selling something is an endorsement? I'm not sure about this whole thing.

Raptomex

Oct 25, 2017
Is that actually true? I tried to access the site but for some reason it doesn't work for me (https://kdp.amazon.com/). Which sucks. But if you can actually create an ebook of some scribbles, that would be amazing.

I've been re-thinking my opinion on this to be honest. Good and bad are subjective, they always have been. Valve owns Steam and thus has the right to sell whatever it pleases. I personally believe the trash like Aids Sim has no place on Steam, but if it's not actually hurting anyone then I don't really see the problem. From what I've been reading, it seems that decent devs don't have trouble competing with the trash, and apparently people don't generally see the trash in their trawling of Steam's catalogue. And if that is indeed true. Then there's no problem anymore right? Steam has since taken down Aids Sim, but I honestly don't think it really matters. Do what you want people, it's a free country.

As to whether it's considered an endorsement, I just don't know. I feel like by having something in your store, you are saying it's okay to sell it. It's okay to buy it. It's legal. If a store decided to stop selling something would it count as the opposite of an endorsement? Does that then mean that selling something is an endorsement? I'm not sure about this whole thing.
In regards to the bold - Exactly. People like to associate everything with everything. I'm still not clear on what Valve needs to take responsibility for. They've clearly stated they will sell offensive games as long as said games don't break the law or are "trolling". Just because you sell something doesn't necessarily mean you approve of its existence which Valve has clearly indicated. This also depends on the product which in this case is video games and they aren't hurting anyone. Valve just not letting their own values get in the way of expression. But some people feel they should take a stance and decide what should and should not be available on the platform. They clearly do not want to do that. They want to let everyone have a voice (as that blog post puts it). As a consumer, you can make your own decisions and buy and play whatever you want on Steam. Disregard/ignore what you don't like.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017

It probably falls under "trolling" (I know that this isn't the game mentioned in the tweet). Though I don't think Valve are changing their guidelines, so I don't think there's any "old" or "new".

Ahh, nice. Boogeyman crisis averted. Now if they would just curate the junk a bit better, I'd be happy.

DeadManIV

Nov 16, 2017
UK
In regards to the bold - Exactly. People like to associate everything with everything. I'm still not clear on what Valve needs to take responsibility for. They've clearly stated they will sell offensive games as long as said games don't break the law or are "trolling". Just because you sell something doesn't necessarily mean you approve of its existence which Valve has clearly indicated. This also depends on the product which in this case is video games and they aren't hurting anyone. Valve just not letting their own values get in the way of expression. But some people feel they should take a stance and decide what should and should not be available on the platform. They clearly do not want to do that. They want to let everyone have a voice (as that blog post puts it). As a consumer, you can make your own decisions and buy and play whatever you want on Steam. Disregard/ignore what you don't like.

I agree. Although the definition of "trolling" is equally subjective and could be considered censorship as much as anything else. This problem can never be fixed. You cannot make everyone happy. It's impossible.

Oct 25, 2017
I saw no footage of said game in this video. Thumbs down. Ironically he just endorsed that game more than Steam ever did. They will probably get more sales because of it.

Ascheroth

Oct 25, 2017
I saw no footage of said game in this video. Thumbs down. Ironically he just endorsed that game more than Steam ever did. They will probably get more sales because of it.
There's no footage because the 'game' was never even up for sale and only had a store page. And it's already gone along with the entire catalog of that 'dev'.