• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
How are you blocking channels? Afaik there isn't an official way to do it.
"not interested"
"Tell us why"
"I am not interested in this channel"

Don't know if it outright blocks the channel or just makes it less likely, but I never came upon a channel i had to block twice

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I feel like that, as a baseline, most people are generally positive or at the very least neutral when talking about something. So when you want to stand out and do something different and/or interesting, one of the easiest way to achieve this is to jump to negativity.

But there are other ways for people to stand out with something different and interesting... I've come to realize that I love deep dives into something I enjoy. I love Mark Brown's videos for taking a very close look at video game mechanics and Legend of Zelda levels. I love Captain Disillusion for his thorough analyses of 3D effects used in fake viral videos. Tim Rogers of Kotaku makes amazingly thorough and deep reviews of games every so often, often bringing his insight and personal experiences as a Japanese game dev into it. I will watch pretty much anything from those guys, even if I'm not interested in the subject they're talking about. The problem is that these videos take a lot of time to make due to research, they require a level of talent that not everyone has, AND they're also very niche.

Basically, I can see how it can be very hard to stand out from the crowd when you're doing daily or very frequent videos, and how negativity is a very easy way for anyone to gain visibility. I can see how for those starting out on YouTube, building up their talent, and/or trying to find their voice would jump to that in order to find an audience, and then sticking with it because that's just what works.

Not to speak any ill of Sterling, though... I really like his videos and appreciate his opinions on a lot of things, but I find myself carefully picking and choosing which of his videos to watch. I just can't personally watch everything of his, because it can get way too overwhelming for me. (I also neglect to enter a lot of threads here for similar reasons, to be honest.)

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
False.

It's not that Youtube is pushing for it, it's just human nature that sees negative things a lot more interesting.

TheUnforgiven

Banned
Nov 23, 2018
Sterling has no idea whatsoever on how YT algorythm works, just like everybody else. Pure FUD.

Also one could argue that people tend to prefer saucy videos where things get trashed, this is not youtube, it's human behavior 101.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
It's it really "the algorithm", or just simply what people want to see? Seems silly to me putting this on YouTube.

Probably a self fulfilling prophecy?

The algorithm reacts to input and responds to input.

I never clicked a Crowder video for instance, but because some of the videos I've watched are debunking his shit his videos do tend to pop up in the recommendations.

And Jim's hallmark is his critique of the gaming industry, so not entirely unexpected they'd prefer the negative videos.

Metal B

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It is harder to be positive then negative.
Like for example if something is good in a videogame, its harder to point down, why something just works. You actually have to dige into the subject and explore, how it turned out being good. You can write while books about those topics and still may not come to a true verdict.
Critic is easier. If something is bad, you can properly narrow it down faster, since it will stick out. So there is much less work to do, you don't need a bigger understand of the theory behind it and it's easier to explain to others (and you still can go into more details).

Overall positivity is a better teacher, since we learn better by example and can work off them. Critice helps us to avoid problems, but are less helpful in creating solutions. They can also devoid people of motivation and give an overall bad outlook over time.

I pretty much are exhausted about critice and negativity. There are just so much bad stuff in the world, that i enjoy people talk about stuff they like and actually deep exploration of topics much more. I actually unsubscribed Jim and others, because of it.

Opposable

Oct 25, 2017
He has a weird audience. He is popular on here, yet also seems popular with the far-right based on Youtube comments. He has also had to tell off/warn his fans a number of times to not personally harass or stalk developers because of him

IamFlying

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 6, 2019
The most interesting thing here is how many posters seems to hate/dislike Sterling because of his stance against MTX and greedy publishers.

Don't fear! Your MTX ridden games will life, despite Sterlings rightful complains. You must just accept that you have a shit job and must make shit games that exploit people, than you must not be angry with Sterling anymore.

IamFlying

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 6, 2019
He has a weird audience. He is popular on here, yet also seems popular with the far-right based on Youtube comments. He has also had to tell off/warn his fans a number of times to not personally harass or stalk developers because of him

Nonsense. Is this some kind of joke? Far-right hate Sterling, obviously.

Deleted member 82

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I'm not convinced that his right-wing audience is anything but negligible, honestly. His invitations not to harass anyone are few and far between (can't remember the last time he did that), and I always get the impression that he does that just in case because he knows how shitty people can be on the internet.
Especially now that he's been shouting "trans rights" every other video, talking about workers' rights and shitting on capitalism at every possible occasion, his audience must be left-leaning by and large, or at least center-left liberal. You'd have to be pretty blind to like Jim Sterling of all people if you're a conservative, let alone a neo-nazi.
The only part of his audience that must be far-right is people who come specifically to hate on him. i.e. not his audience at all, just trolls whose brains he lives in rent-free.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Pushing controversy for clicks and revenue is basically corporate news media in a nutshell. considering how close google is to the other corporations like this, its not all that surprising

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
Why should he care about his view counts? He has stated very clearly that he de-monitizes all of his videos and only makes money off of Patreon.

Unless he's just stating a fact about those who DO have their videos monetized, in which case, yeah, agreed. It's one of the main reasons why far-right and alt-right content does so well. There's no jokes or humor, it's just harsh rhetoric and yelling about how much SJWs are ruining the world. People don't want to be entertained, they want to be angered.

Danzflor

Oct 27, 2017
Why should he care about his view counts? He has stated very clearly that he de-monitizes all of his videos and only makes money off of Patreon.
Jim just does "The Jimquisition" show ad-free, all of his other videos on the channel are monetized.

Gotta love them goobergobbers gooble gobblin all of their conspiracy shit
You just have to "love" their selective outrage. Let's stick it against game companies for treating consumers like garbage, fuck yeah. But, what's this? Companies are treating developers like trash and accusations of harassment? Gamers don't engage with developers like normal human beings? Never heard of them.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
Jim just does "The Jimquisition" show ad-free, all of his other videos on the channel are monetized.
Not only that, but the idea that Jim wouldn't care about views of his content is demonetised always struck me as odd, to say the least.

How much reach and visibility his vids are getting directly relates to visibility and reach for his Patreon. That seems really obvious to me at least.

mrfusticle

Oct 30, 2017
It's funny because I'm turned off by negativity and prefer to watch positive (or at least constructively critical) content.
I guess I am special like my mum told me.

Strittles

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the obsession for negativity and cynicism is exactly why I can't stand most youtubers. Though, ironically, this is exactly why I dislike Jim Sterling. Being aware of the problem doesn't mean you can just shake off the fact that you're a part of it.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
As others have already mentioned, i dont think this has too much to do with Youtube in specific. Negative stuff usually gets more exposure because its usually more to talk about in those cases.

the_kaotek1

Oct 25, 2017
Some people here are acting like Jim's content is in the same vein as the garbage whiny anti-SJW horseshit idiots like TheQuartering peddle, when in reality there are very few channels out there that truly home in on corporate greed and shady business models on a systemic level the way Jim does. -snip-

This is a fantastic post, thank you. It always amazes how much Jim gets shat on here, a left leaning forum. After reading your post I was trying to think of other lefty gaming YouTubers and drew a complete blank.
You'd think YouTube would be throwing them at me in my recommends given I'm subscribed to a ton of bread tube but nothing.

To those of you asking how to get rid of recommends:

Click the the circles by the video (right side, next to the title)

Click "Not interested"

Click "Tell us why"

Click "I'm not interested in this channel"

The last step is really important, if you don't do that you'll start seeing those videos in your recommends again at some point.

Finally, check out Jim's video on Children of Morta. Spoiler, it's very positive.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hate to tell you this, but people with left-wing political views do sometimes harass people.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
In response to some of the replies here, I just have a few questions:

1. Why should a video/channel not be negative or critical?
2. Conversely, why should positivity and praise necessarily be good or better than negativity?
3. If you have a point and are putting forth arguments that warrant negativity, what's the problem?
4. There are countless positive videos about games, companies and the industry out there; where is the need for Jim to be positive when the market for positive gaming videos is already more than well-served elsewhere?
5. Why would you harp on a guy who's calling out predatory industry practices in defense of you, the consumer? I'd understand the hate if he kept insulting consumers, but he's on our side.
6. Why won't you let the guy have his thing? You know, the thing he's good at? Is he contractually forced to cater to your interests?

Some people here are acting like Jim's content is in the same vein as the garbage whiny anti-SJW horseshit idiots like TheQuartering peddle, when in reality there are very few channels out there that truly home in on corporate greed and shady business models on a systemic level the way Jim does. As far as I know, not only was he a pioneer on that front, he's still - much to my dismay - very unique. There's no channel like his out there. And I like the fact that he's becoming more and more open about his leftist angle; I'm sure that if you were to chart the number of times he says "capitalism" in a video throughout the years, the curve would be trending higher and higher. Good on him. It's something that, again, makes him very unique among gaming-focused YouTubers; far too few YouTubers engage in systemic criticism of the industry.

And I can't help but agree with him: why wouldn't he talk about the same topics over and over when the industry keeps pulling the same shit over and over? It's not like he's regurgitating controversies from 10 years ago. The industry keeps outdoing itself, and so shall Jim. The corporate fuckers want to fuck us, and people like Jim won't let them off the hook. Good.
Well said.

I'm glad we have someone like Jim and I hope somewhere he knows he is appreciated.