• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Interesting. My Youtube recommendations are always food, lots of live music, some giant bomb stuff, some animals...I don't really every have anything negative show up for me. I wonder if it's not more that if you're watching a lot of "negative" stuff from "negative" youtubers, that's kind of what you end up getting recommended? And then you get stuck in the negative feedback loop. I'm trying to screenshot, but there is not one thing that I'd consider even remotely "negative" in my recommended feed.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Just because you are aware of the self feeding cycle of negativity that many times results in harrassment and abuse, does not absolve your contribution to it.

In fact, it feels worse.

Whenever Jim has made a video or a comment/tweet whatever that has inadvertently lead to someone being harassed he has taken responsibility for it and condemned those who did the harassing. This is being extremely unfair, there can absolutely be criticism and negativity without being hand-in-hand with harassment.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
Jim always knew his negative videos did better, but that doesn't erase his contribution to a flawed system; especially when it influences cultural norms within gaming YouTube, which is hard to directly measure. Nor does it deflect other's viewing Jim's recent statement as self-awareness. You can't have it both way: outwardly portray something in a manner that receives more views (his YouTube videos) but wanting to be seen as not as toxic as others by providing nuance takes on less popular channels (Twitter).

If I'm not mistaken if you watch one of Jim's videos you start getting recommendation for some unsavory people who aren't just putting on a show.

It's also why youtubers like The Quartering, YongYea and Laymen Gaming have exploded in popularity so quickly. I don't really watch their content but for some reason randomly, once in awhile their shit pops up in my feed after I watched a Sterling video. I've watched a few videos regarding the Activision Blizzard stuff and now my suggested feed is filled with "industry controversies."
Yup

m_dorian

Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
Sterling does what he does his way.
Video game companies are not your friends they only want to part you from your money using every means available to them.

Thank god there are some people that do this (and not being biggots at the same time).

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Amusing series of tweets, coming from him.

Why? He said for several times that he would love to make more positive videos, but that would end up in waaaay less viewers and he is still running a business with his videos

He lives off Patreon, not YouTube views.

He's frankly no better than the people swayed by Youtube's algorithm. He clearly enjoys the negativity.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
If I'm not mistaken if you watch one of Jim's videos you start getting recommendation for some unsavory people who aren't just putting on a show.

I feel like you can watch anything of any genre on YouTube and it's only a matter of time before YouTube starts pushing you towards Alt Right shitbag content

Who else is there within gaming Youtube other than Jim who leans left, or who isn't a giant prick?

Darryl M R

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like you can watch anything of any genre on YouTube and it's only a matter of time before YouTube starts pushing you towards Alt Right shitbag content

Who else is there within gaming Youtube other than Jim who leans left, or who isn't a giant prick?
If I watch any gaming videos that aren't like
2001 Armored Core MADs or PC88 or something niche like that, I get unsavory people, either talking about games or comics.
I'm finding myself avoiding toxic content. I stopped watching a lot of "General Gaming Info" channels that report out news stories and started following channels that focus on specific games and genres.

I think the only general channel I watch now is Gameranx, and I don't get bad suggestions

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
It's pretty telling too how a popular thread on the first page here is titled "Gears 5 controls like garbage."

It reads like a youtube video title. You can even see the red banned circle icon in front of an xbox controller in the thumbnail video right now.
Lol, this is by far the best way to sum up at least 50% of thread titles on era. You can just imagine the youtuber face accompanying it in the thumbnail as well.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
so called ttrrrrrrriiiiiiipppplllleee A companies want to eat your baby.. that is actualllyy trruee.

Deleted member 57990

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 18, 2019
With the odd exception, Jim Sterling's entire output can be summed up as "man who shits on things for a living shits on a thing". He's the height of tedium.

empo

Jan 27, 2018
This has been pretty obvious to me for a long time. Be it gaming, movies or whatever it's way easier to find high profile youtubers that are angry and shouty.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
I'm finding myself avoiding toxic content. I stopped watching a lot of "General Gaming Info" channels that report out news stories and started following channels that focus on specific games and genres.

I think the only general channel I watch now is Gameranx, and I don't get bad suggestions

Yep. Your feed tends to reflect what you seek out. You also got to take time to go through your feed and filter shit out too that you dont want. You got to essentially teach it not to put up crap in your feed. The only time I'll ever get shit like that on my feed or reccomendations is if I fall asleep watching someone I dont normally watch and YouTube just does its thing. I watch Jimquisitions on occasion, but my feed aint full of trash either simply because they tend to skew negative.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
He is floating in his own bubble and comes to conclusions he expects to see.
Like a smoker who grudgingly tries to quit and gives up after some weeks. "See, i told you it wouldn't work"
He is making negative and borderline toxic videos with a sprinkle of positive videos and tells himself that positive videos don't work. While there are thousands of channels with cute kittens and puppies who have millions of views.

Same with his view on Steams algorithm. he actively looks for and buys shitty games and Steams algorithm thinks he likes that kind of games, so the algorithm shows him more shitty games. Jim Sterling comes to the conclusion there are only shitty games.

The point about one-game-channels: Either the viewers come to your channel because they like the personality or the thoughts of the personality on game xyz or they come because they saw the game they like played by some random person.
In the first instance most of the viewers will watch other content from the uploader, in the second instance they will look for a different uploader who plays the game they like.

Oct 25, 2017

I don't keep cookies nor use a youtube account so my recommendations are reset every time I close all open youtube tabs, and even then I'm using a script to block certain channels from being recommended at all because I was sick of having shitty controversial clickbait and racists on my screen while I'm watching the Easy Allies Podcast, the new Unraveled or something like that. Even from watching simple game trailers I got TheQuartering recommendations once 💤

Croc Man

Oct 27, 2017
Trouble with positive videos is the suspicion they've been paid to like it. Or at least it's in their interest to like it so they keep getting sent things/invited to events to review.

Not from Jim as such, or even videogames but generally speaking.

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can't say I totally disagree. However I can say that videos where I HATED a game don't do better than the ones for games I love. Its been pretty even and most dictated by the popularity of the game.
Thats just me. As for the other stuff. I mostly agree

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
It's been shown without fail you can start a fresh account watch the most benign videos and you will be pushed to some batshit bigoted shit soon

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
He is floating in his own bubble and comes to conclusions he expects to see.
Like a smoker who grudgingly tries to quit and gives up after some weeks. "See, i told you it wouldn't work"
He is making negative and borderline toxic videos with a sprinkle of positive videos and tells himself that positive videos don't work. While there are thousands of channels with cute kittens and puppies who have millions of views.

Same with his view on Steams algorithm. he actively looks for and buys shitty games and Steams algorithm thinks he likes that kind of games, so the algorithm shows him more shitty games. Jim Sterling comes to the conclusion there are only shitty games.

The point about one-game-channels: Either the viewers come to your channel because they like the personality or the thoughts of the personality on game xyz or they come because they saw the game they like played by some random person.
In the first instance most of the viewers will watch other content from the uploader, in the second instance they will look for a different uploader who plays the game they like.

I feel like Jim's aware; you're the person who's seeing what they want to see. Nothing Jim's saying hasn't been backed up by other YTers and people who've actually done the research. People want the drama and the rage, thats what drives the clicks.

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Can't say I totally disagree. However I can say that videos where I HATED a game don't do better than the ones for games I love. Its been pretty even and most dictated by the popularity of the game.
Thats just me. As for the other stuff. I mostly agree

I think reviews are different, in that if people like you and your opinions, then they'll watch whatever you produce because they want your opinion

It's also not really possible to know how you feel about a game from the thumbnail

Jim comments on the industry and speaks out when it tries to do shitty things, so you know the jist of the tone of the video from the title alone

Unless people are 100% happy with everything in the industry at present, I don't get why people are so mad at a left leaning critic who doesn't seem to have any awful views articulating his issues with the industry

Would they rather commenting on the shitty things the industry does is left 100% to people like The Quartering, Yong Yea and Alpha Omega Sin?

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think reviews are different, in that if people like you and your opinions, then they'll watch whatever you produce because they want your opinion

It's also not really possible to know how you feel about a game from the thumbnail

Jim comments on the industry and speaks out when it tries to do shitty things, so you know the jist of the tone of the video from the title alone

Unless people are 100% happy with everything in the industry at present, I don't get why people are so mad at a left leaning critic who doesn't seem to have any awful views articulating his issues with the industry

Would they rather commenting on the shitty things the industry does is left 100% to people like The Quartering, Yong Yea and Alpha Omega Sin?
Ya its not just reviews though I am talking about.

It's been shown without fail you can start a fresh account watch the most benign videos and you will be pushed to some batshit bigoted shit soon
This is crazy and completely true.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Trouble with positive videos is the suspicion they've been paid to like it. Or at least it's in their interest to like it so they keep getting sent things/invited to events to review.

Not from Jim as such, or even videogames but generally speaking.

This literally happened when Crowbcat made a positive video. People accused them of being a paid shill and the video got deleted.

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK

And it's going to be worse with gaming as most of the big names in gaming on YouTube are pretty shitty people who either hate women or have their fair share of heated gaming moments

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
I mean, if the industry would stop giving Jim so much ammo, that would go a long way towards limiting the amount of negative content Jim can create.

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This literally happened when Crowbcat made a positive video. People accused them of being a paid shill and the video got deleted.
Oh ya. This is also true. This for sure happens.
I had someone go nuts after I rated a game a Deep Deep sale. They were dead set in the belief that a company told me to say a game was worth 5 bucks when it was a 60 dollar game. So fucking insane.

Deleted member 51646

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 5, 2019
Concluding that the positivity/negativity is what matters doesn't appear valid unless you narrow the scope down to a specific type of video. When it comes to the kind of videos Jim Sterling makes, it is probably true.
Reaction videos are very popular, even in gaming, and the most successful ones appear to be when someone is gushing enthusiastically over the material. I don't know if I have ever seen a successful reaction video where the reactor is relentlessly critical and negative. Let's plays also have a lot of room for very positive content to become incredibly popular. There are successful youtubers like RogersBase that put out primarily positive content like this.
If you make a Jimquisition video and change nothing except for swapping out the criticism for praise, I'm not surprised that it won't do well, but that doesn't mean the reason is solely that the algorithm/audience prefers negativity.

Darryl M R

Oct 25, 2017
Literally, you can start your Monday watching feet videos and by Wednesday you are somehow watching a video about skull sizes.

Oct 1, 2019
I think it would really be a problem if he deliberately chose not to do a video, just because it's a positive one. He's aware that doing a positive impression is going to get fewer views, but he does it anyway. See the RE2, DMC5 and other reviews of good games.

If he started to be negative on those things just for the sake of 'negativity equals more views' and now he's compromising the integrity of his content simply -to be negative- then that would suck.

I don't want to start a big thing here but didn't he do exactly that with his Breath of the Wild review score of 70 and video "Weapon Durability, Fanbase Fragility"?

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
Jim Sterling is part of the crop of people that set the tone of video game discourse as negative and that focused and promoted videos with rage and hyperbole over anything else.

this is pretty much his legacy. Good job.

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I don't want to start a big thing here but didn't he do exactly that with his Breath of the Wild review score of 70 and video "Weapon Durability, Fanbase Fragility"?

Yeah, and famously the Nintendo fan community laughed that off and didn't lose their minds and have a complete meltdown over one review

They were not fragile at all

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
I think it would really be a problem if he deliberately chose not to do a video, just because it's a positive one. He's aware that doing a positive impression is going to get fewer views, but he does it anyway. See the RE2, DMC5 and other reviews of good games.

If he started to be negative on those things just for the sake of 'negativity equals more views' and now he's compromising the integrity of his content simply -to be negative- then that would suck.
Like five days ago, didn't he suggest that game developers were making file sizes big because of a conspiracy to keep you from buying other games by filling your harddrive and it took multiple developers, including Rami Ismail, making fun of this take before he went "Whoops! That might not be right then!"

Like, I don't know how much more cynical and for-profit negativity you can get than the take of "These games don't have to be that big, developers just hate you and are manipulating you with file sizes."

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017

My account says different.

I have seriously never gotten ANY of these alt-right, bigoted, videos pushed to me. Again though, I watch lots of live music (so I get lots of live music recommendations), I watch lots of Giant Bomb and some Polygon videos, so I get those recommended, and I watch lots of cooking so I get lots of Bon Appetit and Munchies and stuff. That's literally 90% of my recommendations. I just find it hard to believe that i'm the only one that this algorithm doesn't apply to...or maybe it's that a lot of people watch a lot of toxic, negative youtube channels/people, who you don't really realize how they fit into that toxicity.

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Like five days ago, didn't he suggest that game developers were making file sizes big because of a conspiracy to keep you from buying other games by filling your harddrive and it took multiple developers, including Rami Ismail, making fun of this take before he went "Whoops! That might not be right then!"

Like, I don't know how much more cynical and for-profit negativity you can get than the take of "These games don't have to be that big, developers just hate you and are manipulating you with file sizes."
...What...what?
There is no way he said that did he?

ZugZug123

Oct 27, 2017
Noticed that before, I start watching pretty inoffensive videos on a subject and suddenly the "suggestions" on what to watch next are filled with drama channels on that topic. I never click over but it seems other people do so it's always the same cycle no matter the topic. My pet peeve is watching movie trailers and then they suggest those stupid reaction channels that just leech off the main content. Super annoying and I never click over.