• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's ever been more obvious who has played a game and who hasn't with this thread.

It IS hard to explain but all the micromanaging in DS, it all comes together. You feel the reward hardships when you make it to the destination. It's not immediately gratifying with every input, but the experience as a whole is extremely satisfying and fun. When you bring everything together just to achieve that one goal.

Thats why myself and tons of people in the OT are absolutely addicted. It truly cannot be seen without playing the game. No video can encapsulate it because the enjoyment solely comes from the individual experience - planning everything out and adapting to hardships.

Kind of pathetic that people who haven't played the game at all are trying to write the opinions off of people who actually have as delusional, as with that banned post.

The game really threw games criticism for a loop. It's extremely hard to put into words why it's so good, and when you try to, people who have no experience with it will attack you because from the outside it just doesn't make sense. I wish everyone could try it and see what we're all seeing in the OT.

it's an attention to detail that only a dev as good as Kojima can deliver too that permeates throughout the game. Pretty much everything is accounted for. When the game gets going, you have as many options for traversal and survival as you did for stealth and combat in MGSV, leading to tons of ways to approach a delivery. It's like a sandbox where you're always working towards a goal.

When I realized how far they were gonna take the scope of the gameplay in Chapter 3, I was so happy because the reviews had me worried Kojima had just left that attention to detail behind. But it's here in full-force. Just in a completely different way than we've ever seen.

Last edited:

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
Just listened to this. Actually sounds worse than RDR2. Loved the bit at the end when he took the piss out of the reviewers as well.

I'd like to get the opinion of this game from someone who hated RDR2 but loved Detroit Become Human.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I don't think it's ever been more obvious who has played a game and who hasn't with this thread.

It IS hard to explain but all the micromanaging in DS, it all comes together. You feel the reward hardships when you make it to the destination. It's not immediately gratifying with every input, but the experience as a whole is extremely satisfying and fun. When you bring everything together just to achieve that one goal.

Thats why myself and tons of people in the OT are absolutely addicted. It truly cannot be seen without playing the game. No video can encapsulate it because the enjoyment solely comes from the individual experience - planning everything out and adapting to hardships.

Kind of pathetic that people who haven't played the game at all are trying to write the opinions off of people who actually have as delusional, as with that banned post.

The game really threw games criticism for a loop. It's extremely hard to put into words why it's so good, and when you try to, people who have no experience with it will attack you because from the outside it just doesn't make sense. I wish everyone could try it and see what we're all seeing in the OT.
Imagine not accepting someone opinion simply because they refuse to fork over $60+tax for a hiking simulator that takes 10+ hours for the possibility they may like it.

60 bucks + 10 hours is alot to ask for, unless you're going to personally refund people, it's not a "pathetic" take at all.

It remains the same take others are saying
"Glad some people like it, just not for me"

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I'd like to get the opinion of this game from someone who hated RDR2 but loved Detroit Become Human.
That'd be useless as Death Stranding is nothing like those games or any other game really, there is no way to know you're not gonna like it until you try it, even if you think you don't like how there's very little combat and a lot of walking the OT is filled with people that thought they'll hate it but it turned out the opposite.

THRILLHO

Nov 6, 2017
Plus plenty of people have played it, even finished, and don't like it.
and that's okay.
others like it.
and that's okay.

Opinions are like assholes. Everyone's got one and they almost universally stink.

in summary, ResetEra is a land of contrasts.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
and that's okay.
others like it.
and that's okay.

Opinions are like assholes. Everyone's got one and they almost universally stink.

I thought you gonna say :
In summary ResetEra is an asshole

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
and that's okay.
others like it.
and that's okay.

The spoiler thread show that the opinions on the story are equally polarized, so it's not just the gameplay. Not surprising from my point of view, I can easily see even fans drop the game instantly and never return at some points or start hating on it at the very end. Kojima hasn't made any part of this product easily digested.
But if we just stopped trying to convert each other there would be no problem.

V0ltg

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well it seems pretty regular for the highly marketed and lets say "flagship" titles on consoles, to have a rather heavy intolerance of other peoples opinions, especially for the "hyped" games that are contentious or otherwise received more poorly than anticipated.

It's as below, but with a lot of unnecessary aggression

Lmao, nice use of that Simpsons GIF.

Jan 10, 2018
It's a new game, I like to try new games. Cool graphics. On the other hand, a game of forced stealth and endless fetch quests with a nonsensical story doesn't sound like its worth £45.

It's definately a coin flip. I didn't expect to like it as much as I did. But it's a rather unconventional experience so it's hard to convey what's so special about it. I feel like talking about it in common terms such as "fetch quests" is not enough to describe what it's all about. Especially since it is supposed to feel like a connected experience where other people influence how you feel and move around in the world.

Bearwolf

Oct 27, 2017
I'll try it on steam when it releases on PC. If it can't grab me before the refund window it's a goner.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Really wish we could bring back the demo days. I'm done waiting for games "to click" then being out $60 when they don't.

Square Enix and Nintendo has done a fantastic job with that. Many of SE's recent games have had demos that were the first few hours of the game and you could carry your progress over to the full game. Nintendo has had test fires/punches for new IP like Splatoon and Arms to help people understand exactly what the games were going for.

MagicDoogies

Oct 31, 2017
Jimpression videos literally start with funny out-of-context clips of the game to music that's deliberately comical. His impression doesn't matter, these videos are made for entertainment.

Jim Sterling plays things up to a comedic effect but rarely are the underlying opinions also nothing more than jokes. He's generally pretty serious about it. His Jimpressions especially ARE his official reviews and while some of them have haha funny moments don't be surprised if when he makes another video and talks about Death Stranding he will state the exact same opinion.

Bearwolf

Oct 27, 2017
Square Enix and Nintendo has done a fantastic job with that. Many of SE's recent games have had demos that were the first few hours of the game and you could carry your progress over to the full game. Nintendo has had test fires/punches for new IP like Splatoon and Arms to help people understand exactly what the games were going for.

Nice, I remember square doing the FF XV demo which let me know the game wasn't for me. Good on Nintendo too.

May 10, 2019

I would even give props to Capcom for RE2R demo.

Beef Supreme

Oct 25, 2017
My nephew bought a copy and let me play it for a day and this review echoes my exact impressions of it. This game, even in previews, just never connected for me. I was hoping when I actually played it that Kojima was just hiding the meat and potatoes and that this would be another classic he has the reputation for. Instead I get a game that comes across as a game that was created by someone who likes the smell of their own farts. I played it that one day for 6 hours and waited for something ANYTHING to connect. You guys love it (my nephew loves it) and you're entitled to love it. But in my opinion, it's not for me.

daase ko

Oct 26, 2017
What is Kojima gonna do next? I wonder.
He always put some details in favor of realism here and there, like the 3d mode shutting off in fps view in mgs3ds or tried to play with time passing on numerous occasions.
But since mgsv and now this as the culmination, that's just leading to dryness putting them front and center.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
My nephew bought a copy and let me play it for a day and this review echoes my exact impressions of it. This game, even in previews, just never connected for me. I was hoping when I actually played it that Kojima was just hiding the meat and potatoes and that this would be another classic he has the reputation for. Instead I get a game that comes across as a game that was created by someone who likes the smell of their own farts. I played it that one day for 6 hours and waited for something ANYTHING to connect. You guys love it (my nephew loves it) and you're entitled to love it. But in my opinion, it's not for me.

thanks for posting that, i keep reading all these people saying how much they love the game, i watched the streams and am bored/confused. I cancelled my pre order and every time i see someone say how its the greatest game of the year or whatever i feel a tinge of regret but I am almost 99.9% sure this game is not my kind of game.

Xiao Hu

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It seems to be that kind of game where I can let a Let's Play run in the background and not miss out on anything....or just wait for a supercut.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine not accepting someone opinion simply because they refuse to fork over $60+tax for a hiking simulator that takes 10+ hours for the possibility they may like it.

60 bucks + 10 hours is alot to ask for, unless you're going to personally refund people, it's not a "pathetic" take at all.

It remains the same take others are saying
"Glad some people like it, just not for me"
I mean I can't force anyone to play the game but yeah it is pretty pathetic if you haven't played it and are trying to say that people who have are delusional for liking it....

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
thanks for posting that, i keep reading all these people saying how much they love the game, i watched the streams and am bored/confused. I cancelled my pre order and every time i see someone say how its the greatest game of the year or whatever i feel a tinge of regret but I am almost 99.9% sure this game is not my kind of game.
Just buy it cheap, many in the Ot have said I thought I'd hate it, but it's a very charming game. Currently my GOTY and I thought Kojima lost it after MGS3.

this is one game I absolutely encourage you to listen to NO ONE on, not even reviewers you vibe with or the glowing OT with everyone loving it. Really one of those try for yourself experiences.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Same here. Relaying BOTW right now and just the shrines alone have more of a reason to explore the world than anything I've seen from DS previews. The game is barren as hell.

There's really no point in comparing the two because they couldn't be anymore dissimilar in terms of gameplay, thematic intent, and overall execution.

I consider BOTW one of the greatest games ever made and it is effectively tied with RDR2 for my Game of the Generation but Death Stranding is an entirely different experience and one I am personally enjoying immensely. That of course doesn't mean you or anyone else would necessarily share that affinity and I respect why many would find this game a slog (to some extent that is the intent) but I think comparing it to something like BOTW is a mistake.

Sincerely, there isn't much out there I can point to as an analog for DS. Even the traversal feels very different than what we've seen in prior games.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Just buy it cheap, many in the Ot have said I thought I'd hate it, but it's a very charming game. Currently my GOTY and I thought Kojima lost it after MGS3.

this is one game I absolutely encourage you to listen to NO ONE on, not even reviewers you vibe with or the glowing OT with everyone loving it. Really one of those try for yourself experiences.
This. I still feel like there weren't many reviews I read that encapsulated the game now that it's in my hands

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Same here. Relaying BOTW right now and just the shrines alone have more of a reason to explore the world than anything I've seen from DS previews. The game is barren as hell.
Exploration isn't the focus of the game.

BotW and DS are similar in that they are open world sandboxes with tons of ways to interact with the environment.

but with BotW, the sandbox is there to encourage exploration, you make your way through it and then discover a destination and it's satisfying because you are continuously tracking through the unknown.

with death Stranding, your goal is to overcome the sandbox in any way you can in order to reach goal that you already know where you have to go to get to. Sure the environments are beautiful to walk around in, but mainly it's about overcoming the terrain to reach a destination intact. It's not meant to entice exploration that much. In fact you want to get to your destination in the quickest, best way possible.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ

BotW and DS are similar in that they are open world sandboxes with tons of ways to interact with the environment.

but with BotW, the sandbox is there to encourage exploration, you make your way through it and then discover a destination and it's satisfying because you are continuously tracking through the unknown.

with death Stranding, your goal is to overcome the sandbox in any way you can in order to reach goal that you already know where you have to go to get to. Sure the environments are beautiful to walk around in, but mainly it's about overcoming the terrain to reach a destination intact. It's not meant to entice exploration that much. In fact you want to get to your destination in the quickest, best way possible.
Yup, that's the stark difference between the two. The journey is the focus (DS) in BotW the destination is the focus.
Both are really fun to me can't say which I enjoyed more yet.

Pygrus

Oct 27, 2017
He's right when he says if you have a hard time immersing yourself in the game, you won't enjoy it. The game is super upfront with you about what the main goal of your playtime is going to be, which I think is good. It doesn't promise simmering just to not deliver on it.

the_kaotek1

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly wish I could try before I buy. Jim's opinion on games has had a pretty much 100% alignment with mine, the last game we majorly differed on was fallout 4 (I hated it).

Every video, every impression makes me think I'll not enjoy it, yet I really want to find out for myself. But not enough to fork out 60 bucks send a bunch of time on the off chance I will dig it.

Guess I'll need to wait for a deep sale to find out.

Oct 27, 2017
Just listened to this. Actually sounds worse than RDR2. Loved the bit at the end when he took the piss out of the reviewers as well.

I loved Detroit. At first I wasn't gonna buy DS because all the media and streams made it seem really boring and pretentious. Plus I didn't understand the game at all. I impulse bought it and I've been loving it a lot more than Detroit. I find both games to be kinda similar tbh. DS needs a demo.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017

This is a pitch perfect explanation of DS's core gameplay loop.

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

You can literally see this through the visual game design.

2_Oct_4_09_03_09.jpg

Breath of the Wild's landscape is covered in triangles that invite you to go explore them to see what might be around the corner.

Death Stranding's lanscapes are wide flat and desolate. You can see exactly what will be in your way by surveying the area, and choose your journey based on that.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
This is a pitch perfect explanation of DS's core gameplay loop.
You can literally see this through the visual game design.

2_Oct_4_09_03_09.jpg

Breath of the Wild's landscape is covered in triangles that invite you to go explore them to see what might be around the corner.

Death Stranding's lanscapes are wide flat and desolate. You can see exactly what will be in your way by surveying the area, and choose your journey based on that.
It's interesting to see an open world game that doesn't try to focus on exploration.

It was kinda clear in the marketing too.

They never really pulled the "explore a beautiful open world, go anywhere and discover new things" card that tons of OW games use as a big catchphrase.

Though I guess MGSV is similar in that regard.

Of course there's nothing wrong with that, BotW promised it and delivered it in spades. I just hope people don't see that DS is open world and then misinterpret what it is based on OW trends.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Far, far too many people allowing others to convince them that they will not enjoy this game.

Despite the OT existing with tonnes of people stating they thought it looked bad after reading impressions and watching footage who are now fully addicted.

the_kaotek1

Oct 25, 2017
Far, far too many people allowing others to convince them that they will not enjoy this game.

Despite the OT existing with tonnes of people stating they thought it looked bad after reading impressions and watching footage who are now fully addicted.

Like I said above, Jim's tastes match my own pretty significantly. I'm just not willing to bet 60 bucks on the off chance our tastes differ in this one particular instance. Especially when my time is being taken up with a game I genuinely love (Disco Elysium)

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Like I said above, Jim's tastes match my own pretty significantly. I'm just not willing to bet 60 bucks on the off chance our tastes differ in this one particular instance. Especially when my time is being taken up with a game I genuinely love (Disco Elysium)
I get not wanting to take a risk, but too many people have said the same thing about reviewers they mesh with and found they love it when they played it.

So don't write it off, even if you wait for a sale. This is not a game you can be told about, even from people with similar tastes.