• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019

Sterling was obviously never going to like the game, since it takes the parts from games such as RDR2 or BOTW that he dislikes the most, and makes a whole game around them.

Personally I enjoy the micromanagement of these kinds of games (and I have greatly enjoyed it in Death Stranding so far), so I have no issues with it.

Oct 26, 2017
Watching now. That opening was funny (imo). Also I agree with him on most of his points but I'm hoping I can look past all that and still enjoy the game.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Fairly reasonable.
He appreciates that the game exists, but he has gripes with the tedium of all the different systems going on.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Reasonable video, I'm sure people will still find a way to take it personally.

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
Cheers for the impressions, Jim. This one is staying in the shrink wrap and being traded towards Last of Us Part II. It's hard to believe so much money and time has been piled into something so painfully dull just to satisfy Kojima's random impulses of excess.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Watched the beginning and end, seems like a good review to me, tries to see the positives but can't enjoy it and he doesn't condescend people who do enjoy it.

Deleted member 29249

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I wish he would have given it a score so the review thread could have a melt down when it loses another point on meta critic.

All this stuff has me interested in trying the game but not at full price.

Thewonandonly

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Utah
Watching now. That opening was funny (imo). Also I agree with him on most of his points but I'm hoping I can look past all that and still enjoy the game.
I hated rdr2 because I felt it was to sim like and slow, yet I've been loving the first 2 hours of death stranding. It really pulls you into the world and time flies as you are walking from place to place. Really should give it a rent at least to see if you liked it because it surprised the hell out of me!!

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Jimpression videos literally start with funny out-of-context clips of the game to music that's deliberately comical. His impression doesn't matter, these videos are made for entertainment.
Why are trying to damage control this thread within minutes of it being posted? I'm assuming Jim didn't have favorable things to say about DS.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So bored with all of the critics railing on Death Stranding. It's cheap.
DS is blowing my mind/expectations for now, and I can't wait to play more.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
Played about 10 hours so far and not even close to being bored. This game is awesome

SturokBGD

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
says who?
he has played the game and is giving his opinion. regardless of the comedic nature of the video, his opinion is as valid as anyone else's.
Of course, but that' s not the point of the video. In fact Jim often uses the overreaction of people who get their jimmies rustled by him as part of his routine. Such as...
Why posting dumb comments?
^ this, for example.

Salpal

Oct 25, 2017
Sucks he didn't like it. I was interested in hearing what he had to say. Pretty detailed impressions.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah I'm glad I didn't get it. Between this and a few other impressions that I respect it sounds dreadfully boring. That will have it wait until it's £10 at best.

Oct 26, 2017
Of course, but that' s not the point of the video. In fact Jim often uses the overreaction of people who get their jimmies rustled by him as part of his routine. Such as...

^ this, for example.

You just said that his opinion does not matter because reasons and i'm the one posting dumb comments and having my "jimmies rustled" lol
I know it's kinda hard to watch a video and follow a linear review but here it is.

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil

^ this, for example.

I don't get what you're trying to say, Jim always makes some jokes in the middle of his impressions, but that doesn't mean you're not supposed to take the video as his genuine opinion about the game.

OP
OP

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
Yeah I'm glad I didn't get it. Between this and a few other impressions that I respect it sounds dreadfully boring. That will have it wait until it's £10 at best.
Honestly, it's great. I legitimately am having issues wrapping my head around some of the toxicity thrown the game's way, with all due respect to dissenting opinions, of course.

hurroocane

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Ironically that video convinced me that the game is totally for me. This is not a dig at Jim Sterling but the way he describes it sounds like it's exactly up my alley.

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
Kojima doesn't come across to me as being all that different from someone like David Cage. He is way too overconfident and has an unhealthy obsession with Hollywood and it reflects in his games, which come across as pretentious crap wrapped in half baked gameplay.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

^ this, for example.
i dunno, you're the one who seems to have their "jimmies rustled" since you rushed to point out jim's opinion doesn't matter.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Haha, yeah i can understand.
I'd still like some time with it. Just a couple of hours. I actually like the idea and love how the world looks. But i have little time.
And i hate long games and too much management. Like he said: the game doesn't respect my time. So not going to buy it and i'll probably never play it.

I do think a lot of reviews missed honesty. It's okay to fucking hate a game and still be impressed with some of its features.

Oct 27, 2017

Appropriate for every "controversial" or "divisive" game ever. Or I guess just any game *shrug*

Jim does say he's cool with other people liking it though. I'm referring to the general discourse around this game.

iRAWRasaurus

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Everything I hear about the game mechanics like durability, limitations and etc, is everything I hate in games, all wrapped up to make it worst. Glad I didn't get DS. It's not a game for me.

Oct 27, 2017
Cheers for the impressions, Jim. This one is staying in the shrink wrap and being traded towards Last of Us Part II. It's hard to believe so much money and time has been piled into something so painfully dull just to satisfy Kojima's random impulses of excess.

Am I misunderstanding here, but does this mean you bought it, decided based on reviews (rather than, I don't know, playing it yourself) not to even bother opening it and then, bizarrely, rather than return it for a full unopened refund you're going to sit on it for 6 months and then trade it for a probably £10, if that.

Some solid decisions there, I applaud.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017

I love people acting as if their tastes are universal and acting as if a lot of people didn't already enjoy the game and more won't after launch.

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty great video. It's telling for me at least that every youtuber that I have seen who claims they like this game have to make long winded 30 minute video desperately trying to act like they enjoyed what they played, but the reviews that think the game is lacking are very concise and to the point. I'm might give it a go when it's in the 10 dollar bin and I have a large bag of weed.

I'm interested in a slow journey that allows me to reflect while overcoming dangerous terrain and managing my survival kit. But that intro was literally a dude just running across a big empty field in the most video gamey way possible. This looks less like the environment is the challenge to overcome and more like GTA in the middle of a desert without a car. It just sounds and looks mediocre.