• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty great video. It's telling for me at least that every youtuber that I have seen who claims they like this game have to make long winded 30 minute video desperately trying to act like they enjoyed what they played, but the reviews that think the game is lacking are very concise and to the point. I'm might give it a go when it's in the 10 dollar bin and I have a large bag of weed.

I'm interested in a slow journey that allows me to reflect while overcoming dangerous terrain and managing my survival kit. But that intro was literally a dude just running across a big empty field in the most video gamey way possible. This looks less like the environment is the challenge to overcome and more like GTA in the middle of a desert without a car. It just sounds and looks mediocre.

Funny enough the user impressions I've been reading across the web are generally quite positive even if there are criticisms.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
I think many people have already echoed this, but I feel that ever since Kojima founded his new studio, there was no one there who said no to Kojima's ideas. Some sort of editor who looks at the idea and evaluates if it's good to include in the game. Kojima has an amazing resume, but we also have to understand that his games were also made by hundreds of people. His greatest games were not all his.

THRILLHO

Nov 6, 2017
Yeah I'm glad I didn't get it. Between this and a few other impressions that I respect it sounds dreadfully boring. That will have it wait until it's £10 at best.

crazy the PC port is priced at $60 for a release 8 months from now. $20 tops, for me. Oh well, I still put it on my wishlist.

Remmy2112

Nov 5, 2017
Death Stranding is turning out exactly as I imagined it would. Kojima overdesigning things and never willing to subject his stuff to an editor who'll tell him to cut stuff for brevity. He wants to be in Hollywood but he'd never make it there because he could never be concise to save his damn life. It's like the Frank Miller and whores jokes, overdesign and aggressive wasting of player time are intrinsic to Kojima's very being.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
I'm loving Death Stranding, but this video does a really good job of explaining why people don't like it.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
DS is the sort of game I can definitely get into and enjoy, but at the same time I can see clearly why people would not like it. It's the sort of creative risk you don't see a lot of nowadays, but you do wonder if some of the stuff they do was really necessary for the game or what they wanted to achieve.

Oct 25, 2017
I have different tastes then Jim but I always respect his opinion on games. That said, we both agree on inventory management and boring systems. I'm now a little concerned about rdr 2. I loved the first one and I was planning to pick rdr 2 up on black Friday.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Was that 7/10 at the end a jab at his Breath of the Wild review?

I won't get to play this until the weekend, but I always love his Jimpressions; he always has some great viewpoints on games.

Kupo Kupopo

Jul 6, 2019
hideo kojima: 'i could make a 40-50 hour game that revolved mostly around encumbrance management & package delivery, &, if i added in enough of my weird bullshit, & a number of celebrity-studded cutscenes, it would still get praised as a masterpiece...'

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I think the tedious systems would bother me too much to play the game. It's part of why I'm already thinking of putting RDR2 on the back burner even though I'm not far into the game. I just like my games more straight forward.

Crimsonskies

Alt account
Banned
Nov 1, 2019
I agree with Jim I have reached the mountain area and I feel this game is a test of patience with very little reward.

I almost stopped playing until Mads Mikkelsens character showed up named Cliff and that's all I know about him so far suddenly showed up 20 hours in I have no clue to who he is or what his deal is.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Does he normally put a score at the end or is that some joke? Because that review did not sound like a 7/10. Lol

Oct 25, 2017
The thing that I don't get is, how is this game 50+ hours? The gameplay seems so basic and repetitive. Is it true there's a 2 hour cut scene near the end of the game? If this game was like 10 hours I'd try it out of curiosity, but that time commitment is insane.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
Cheers for the impressions, Jim. This one is staying in the shrink wrap and being traded towards Last of Us Part II. It's hard to believe so much money and time has been piled into something so painfully dull just to satisfy Kojima's random impulses of excess.
The game will most probably earn way more that whatever money has been "piled into Kojima's random impulses of excess". His games have been guaranteed money makers for over two decades, yet people find it hard to believe they get funded.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Ironically that video convinced me that the game is totally for me. This is not a dig at Jim Sterling but the way he describes it sounds like it's exactly up my alley.

To me, that is the sign of a good critic; even if you don't personally agree with their final viewpoint, they still assess the product in such a way that you're able to determine if it's for you or not.

Does he normally put a score at the end or is that some joke? Because that review did not sound like a 7/10. Lol

That's him taking the piss out of people still salty over him rating BoTW a 7/10.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
The game will most probably earn way more that whatever money has been "piled into Kojima's random impulses of excess". His games have been guaranteed money makers for over two decades, yet people find it hard to believe they get funded.

His games also cost a shit load to make, which is probably why Konami was getting tired of him. I don't think anyone has ever seriously accused Kojima of making games that lose money, and gamers really shouldn't care if his games only have a tiny profit margin for their cost. That's on a publisher to decide if whatever profit margin his games make is worth it.

ManNR

Feb 13, 2019
Based on my time so far with the game I feel that those who enjoyed BotW will enjoy Death Stranding. I am one of those people. Jim Sterling is not.

Oct 26, 2017
I hated rdr2 because I felt it was to sim like and slow, yet I've been loving the first 2 hours of death stranding. It really pulls you into the world and time flies as you are walking from place to place. Really should give it a rent at least to see if you liked it because it surprised the hell out of me!!
I already have my copy since I was able to preorder it on Amazon for 60 CAD. Also that's the thing. I loved RDR 1 but stopped RDR 2 after hitting twenty hours because everything felt a lot like busywork.

I don't know if I changed or it was Rockstar. Most probably me 🤷‍♂️

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I wonder if there's people who dislike rdr2 but like death stranding.
See:
I hated rdr2 because I felt it was to sim like and slow, yet I've been loving the first 2 hours of death stranding. It really pulls you into the world and time flies as you are walking from place to place. Really should give it a rent at least to see if you liked it because it surprised the hell out of me!!

Last edited:

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Loving it so far...but nice impressions...

I really loved BotW and it also took me 2 hours in to click. Death Stranding has just wowed me more with presentation so far, not sure if I'll love it as much as BotW yet. Also, don't get the ppl stumbling all over the place lol, the controls are pretty easy to get accustomed to.

Kraken3dfx

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
I don't always agree with Jim's assessments, but I always enjoy hearing them. I think that's how this type of thing is supposed to work. Still running by Best Buy to pick up the game here in a bit though.

Jan 11, 2018
Kojima doesn't come across to me as being all that different from someone like David Cage. He is way too overconfident and has an unhealthy obsession with Hollywood and it reflects in his games, which come across as pretentious crap wrapped in half baked gameplay.

But the gameplay in the MGS games was really good... Especially MGS V.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
His games also cost a shit load to make, which is probably why Konami was getting tired of him. I don't think anyone has ever seriously accused Kojima of making games that lose money, and gamers really shouldn't care if his games only have a tiny profit margin for their cost. That's on a publisher to decide if whatever profit margin his games make is worth it.
Tiny profit margin? lmao the MGS IP has been the primary money maker for Konami's gaming division for years until MG Survive bombed. DS is also made by a studio of just 80 people with help from GG and a borrowed engine, I wouldn't be surprised if it was also made on a tight budget despite having a star cast. People really seem to overestimate how much KojiPro spends developing their games.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good video, seems to have a lot of what people didn't like about rdr2

Gots

Feb 20, 2019
Canada
Usually agree with Jim but I've been absolutely loving DS so far. Haven't been able to put it down. Then again I thought RDR2 was a masterpiece as well so I guess these games are for me!

dubq

Oct 27, 2017
Fairly reasonable.
He appreciates that the game exists, but he has gripes with the tedium of all the different systems going on.
Exactly. I like how he presents this calmly and as his opinion instead of raging that this kind of game exists like some other YouTubers would do. Great video.

Oct 26, 2017
Tiny profit margin? lmao the MGS IP has been the primary money maker for Konami's gaming division for years until MG Survive bombed. DS is also made by a studio of just 80 people with help from GG and a borrowed engine, I wouldn't be surprised if it was also made on a tight budget despite having a star cast. People really seem to overestimate how much KojiPro spends developing their games.

Insomniac devs and Bend devs also worked on Death Stranding.

MGS V ended up costing up to 80 million USD (this figure includes FOX Engine as well iirc), Death Stranding didn't cost 80 million, but i don't see it costing less than 40-50 million USD at best. It's not about overstimating how much KojiPro spends, games are expensive to make in 2019, open world titles are also more expensive and having a bunch of well known public figures is not cheap by any means.

Konami bailed out from AAA game development because production cost started to increase dramatically in the years.
MGS 4 was also an expensive game.

Thewonandonly

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Utah
Haha ya I don't know why this game pulled me in so quick yet RDR2 I couldn't stand after 2 hours. Mabey I wasn't in the right mindset and should try it out again. After this and Jedi fallen order tho

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Insomniac devs and Bend devs also worked on Death Stranding.

MGS V ended up costing up to 80 million USD (this figure includes FOX Engine as well iirc), Death Stranding didn't cost 80 million, but i don't see it costing less than 40-50 million USD at best.
It's not about overstimating how much KojiPro spends, games are expensive to make in 2019, open world titles are also more expensive and having a bunch of well known public figures is not cheap by any means.
dont forget Guerilla Games support and engine stuff