• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ManNR

Feb 13, 2019
I enjoyed Breath of the Wild... Death Stranding has like negative appeal to me.

Are you playing it currently (Death Stranding) or is that opinion just based on what you've seen online? Just curious.

I've been a Kojima fan for a long time so I knew I was in Day 1. I also enjoy atmosphere & times of introspection in games. BotW was great because it is a very Zen game. DS so far reminds me a lot of that quiet exploration. I also enjoy games where I don't really know what I am getting into or what is possible in game. Straight-forward games hold less appeal for me typically.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Insomniac devs and Bend devs also worked on Death Stranding.

MGS V ended up costing up to 80 million USD (this figure includes FOX Engine as well iirc), Death Stranding didn't cost 80 million, but i don't see it costing less than 40-50 million USD at best. It's not about overstimating how much KojiPro spends, games are expensive to make in 2019, open world titles are also more expensive and having a bunch of well known public figures is not cheap by any means.

Konami bailed out from AAA game development because production cost started to increase dramatically in the years.
MGS 4 was also an expensive game.

Considering this has been happening for a while with Sony first party studios and is their strategy going forward I'm not sure what you're getting at. Sony Bend had to travel down to SSM to use their mocap facilities.

Oct 27, 2017
Southend on Sea, UK
Based on my time so far with the game I feel that those who enjoyed BotW will enjoy Death Stranding. I am one of those people. Jim Sterling is not.
I was really disappointed in BotW and would totally rate it 7/10 myself. But right now I can't believe how much I like DS. I'm shocked I tell you. I really didn't think I was gonna like it AT ALL. But it seems the super slow gameplay is right up my alley. Loving the story, the incredible graphics, music and the cutscene direction. Also as a father my paternal instinct kicked in as soon as BB shows up.

I'll watch the video soon, but I know that I can totally agree with Jim and totally disagree - and I still love him like the big cuddly BB he is.

EDIT - Didn't like RDR2 either.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
Are you playing it currently (Death Stranding) or is that opinion just based on what you've seen online? Just curious.

I've been a Kojima fan for a long time so I knew I was in Day 1. I also enjoy atmosphere & times of introspection in games. BotW was great because it is a very Zen game. DS so far reminds me a lot of that quiet exploration. I also enjoy games where I don't really know what I am getting into or what is possible in game. Straight-forward games hold less appeal for me typically.
Negative appeal means that I'm not touching it based on the coverage I've seen. Breath of the Wild had just enough going for it to keep my attention, this seems even sparser with more cumbersome systems. Most of the people I listen to for opinions have not given favorable ones.

ManNR

Feb 13, 2019
I was really disappointed in BotW and would totally rate it 7/10 myself. But right now I can't believe how much I like DS. I'm shocked I tell you. I really didn't think I was gonna like it AT ALL. But it seems the super slow gameplay is right up my alley. Loving the story, the incredible graphics, music and the cutscene direction. Also as a father my paternal instinct kicked in as soon as BB shows up.

I'll watch the video soon, but I know that I can totally agree with Jim and totally disagree - and I still love him like the big cuddly BB he is.

That's so interesting! Its like every human is their own person with individual preferences.

In all seriousness though I do find it interesting to hear about all these divergent opinions about the game(s).

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think that's true. For example, dan from gb loved botw and hated this game. The praise for botw was much more universal.
Yup. All the comparisons to BotW are surface-level at best. BotW is chockful of goodies--you literally can't walk 5 minutes in any direction without finding something wonderful to do or see. Even rain is just a matter of finding a dry spot and starting a fire to make time pass, which is something you can do right from the start.

Playing Death Stranding otoh looks like torture from the Twitch streams I've seen.

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Cheers for the impressions, Jim. This one is staying in the shrink wrap and being traded towards Last of Us Part II. It's hard to believe so much money and time has been piled into something so painfully dull just to satisfy Kojima's random impulses of excess.
you're right. i also kept my copy in the shrink wrap and didn't play it but it is certainly painfully dull, i'm glad i have you tubers who can tell me

Oct 26, 2017
Considering this has been happening for a while with Sony first party studios and is their strategy going forward I'm not sure what you're getting at. Sony Bend had to travel down to SSM to use their mocap facilities.

What am i getting at?
The guy said that only 80 KojiPro worked on the game + GG devs, when we know that also, Bend and Insomaniac devs worked on the game.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
Kojima doesn't come across to me as being all that different from someone like David Cage. He is way too overconfident and has an unhealthy obsession with Hollywood and it reflects in his games, which come across as pretentious crap wrapped in half baked gameplay.
I've thought this for years now. None of Kojima's games have connected with me since the first Metal Great Solid.

Apr 3, 2018
Enjoyed the video, and just further solidified that this game isn't for me. The whole thing sounds like an absolute exercise in frustration and annoyance.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Man, after all the complaining and excruciating tale of the video i was expecting a 3/10, but he says "can't really recommend it, 7/10"

What the fuck.

ManNR

Feb 13, 2019
Really?

I really like BOTW; read tons of DS reviews / watched videos and I see very little appeal to the game.

Just my impression so far. Granted I played BotW for over 400hrs. & only have a handful in DS. But the expansiveness, periods of wandering & reflection, & the traversal mechanics are enjoyable to me so far.

I'm particularly engaged with the balance & weight management just because its such an odd & unique mechanic. I bet there is a pretty high skill ceiling for it despite it being something that most people will dismiss as boring.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Man, after all the complaining and excruciating tale of the video i was expecting a 3/10, but he says "can't really recommend it, 7/10"

What the fuck.

It's a joke. These videos aren't reviews, he used to do written reviews for years and very, very rarely video ones until he got fed up of the bickering and controversies.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017

What the fuck.
the 7/10 thing at the end is a joke. It's a reference to when he gave BotW a 7/10 and people called 7/10 a "bad" score and assumed that meant he hated it, so it's something he's used as a meme over the years.

IceBringer

Oct 25, 2017
The clip of him shaking the baby at the beginning was hilarious. The part of him riding the bike on actual roads looked good. But the rest of it not so much. Just looks like a pain to play

Nov 11, 2017
Kojima didn't have a good generation imo, mgsv was vastly overrated by reviewers and didn't deserve the ratings it got. 0-2... damn hopenhe can recover. This was a good impression video btw

Oct 28, 2017
Death Stranding sounds like gaming as art at its highest form, and if I had a PS4 I would buy it just for that.

*sigh*

Violater

Nov 19, 2017
Even before the reviews I could tell this was not for me, I'm glad people are enjoying it though.
I wished the horror aspect of it all was the main focus.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
I like Jim, but I rarely ever agree with him on anything. I do find his opinions interesting though. It was pretty clear going into this that he wasn't going to like it.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Havent played it yet, but I didnt think RDR2 was THAT annoying. the controls were a bitch but I pretty much skipped all the simulator stuff. Ended up being one of my favorite games.

This game feels like it's way too hard to skip all that

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty great video. It's telling for me at least that every youtuber that I have seen who claims they like this game have to make long winded 30 minute video desperately trying to act like they enjoyed what they played, but the reviews that think the game is lacking are very concise and to the point. I'm might give it a go when it's in the 10 dollar bin and I have a large bag of weed.

I'm interested in a slow journey that allows me to reflect while overcoming dangerous terrain and managing my survival kit. But that intro was literally a dude just running across a big empty field in the most video gamey way possible. This looks less like the environment is the challenge to overcome and more like GTA in the middle of a desert without a car. It just sounds and looks mediocre.
There are some grating positive reviews where they try to sell this narrative that the game is objectively good, but "some people wouldnt get it" in a condescending way. Its refreshing to see people saying "I fucking hate it but you know what? You might love this, its just not for me."

Oct 30, 2017
Kojima doesn't come across to me as being all that different from someone like David Cage. He is way too overconfident and has an unhealthy obsession with Hollywood and it reflects in his games, which come across as pretentious crap wrapped in half baked gameplay.
He is trying to be the Tarantino of video games, but without any of the subtlety.

Watership

Oct 27, 2017
The thing that I don't get is, how is this game 50+ hours? The gameplay seems so basic and repetitive. Is it true there's a 2 hour cut scene near the end of the game? If this game was like 10 hours I'd try it out of curiosity, but that time commitment is insane.

So many reasons it's a long game. How would press and community reactive if this was a game at 30 dollars if it was only 10 hours long? Woulds people scream, calling this a AA type game because it's short and cheap? There is no multiplayer, and people still associate time playing again with value. This game also cost a lot to make, with typical Kojima production values and more celebrity work than most games before it. So making it a cheaper game, even with Monster endorsement, would make this a 60 dollar game. So here we are 50 hours or more.

This is it's utter downfall for me. I like a whole bunch of elements of this game but the core time spent to make this game so long, is not remotely a gameplay loop i want to spend dozens of hours on. I think my enjoyment is going to be watching others stream it. I watched a stream last night, and enjoyed it, but after the 4th delivery, when i realized the streamer was going to be walking to x location, I fast forwarded through the buffer. And that's completely fine.

jrizzle

Jan 24, 2018
He lost me with the horse comparison between rdr2 and w3. He states the game play is clearly better in w3 because the horse cant hit a tree (wreck). This was not my feel at all, I much preferred the danger of knowing I could wreck the horse while trying to get away or take a shortcut. Not only was it more immersive, but I find the challenge to be the better game play as well.

Deleted member 12352

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
lol, I've been playing a couple of hours now and knew immediately someone like Jim was not gonna enjoy it.

Really can't blame him though, I'm really impressed with it, but so far can easily understand why a lot of people who actually play it are going to despise it. For better and worse, this is gonna be one for the ages.

klier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I was on the fence whether to buy it or not.

I'm passing. Maybe at a 50-60% discount.

Zemst

Oct 27, 2017
Gonna pick mines up today. Jim naturally funny as usual. I'm picky with my walking simulators so let's hope I enjoy this.