• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

thebigword

Oct 27, 2017
I could see this coming from a mile away. All his complaints about the game are things I absolutely can't stand in games. Glad I gave it a pass.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
How many reviews that call the game boring, tedious, irritating, encumbering, etc. will it take for people to finally believe it? It's not like Jim Sterling's opinions are out of the norm. He's echoing what many have said before him.

Csr

Nov 6, 2017
So bored with all of the critics railing on Death Stranding. It's cheap.
DS is blowing my mind/expectations for now, and I can't wait to play more.

It has an 83 metacritic, how are they railing on it?
If someone doesn't like it shouldn't they express their opinion or is the game so good no one could possibly dislike it?
JIm justifies his opinion extensively, what exactly is cheap about this?

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
How many reviews that call the game boring, tedious, irritating, encumbering, etc. will it take for people to finally believe it? It's not like Jim Sterling's opinions are out of the norm. He's echoing what many have said before him.

Enough that they equal or outnumber the good reviews. Some of you are acting like the game was universally panned by critics and the general audience alike.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
RDR2 is still under this moron's skin, lovely.
jayzd.gif

Death Stranding sounds like gaming as art at its highest form, and if I had a PS4 I would buy it just for that.

*sigh*

Honestly, that is probably the best way to describe DS. The intro alone makes you feel like you are in a theater about to watch a masterpiece, only you then remember that this isn't a movie and you actually get to control this narrative.

Molto

Oct 27, 2017
I really respect Jim and enjoy his content. But it doesn't mean I need to have the same opinion. He disliked Breath of the Wild and I think it's one of the best games I've ever played. And that's fine. He made good points as to why he didn't enjoy this game, but I'm still looking forward to playing Death Stranding regardless. It's possible I'll find it super boring as well, only way to know is to play it yourself.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017

Appropriate for every "controversial" or "divisive" game ever. Or I guess just any game *shrug*

Jim does say he's cool with other people liking it though. I'm referring to the general discourse around this game.

Well it seems pretty regular for the highly marketed and lets say "flagship" titles on consoles, to have a rather heavy intolerance of other peoples opinions, especially for the "hyped" games that are contentious or otherwise received more poorly than anticipated.

It's as below, but with a lot of unnecessary aggression

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Enjoyed the video, and just further solidified that this game isn't for me. The whole thing sounds like an absolute exercise in frustration and annoyance.
I went nope after seeing longer uncut gameplay videos, I don't have time for that, but I watched the cutscenes some kind person had uploaded on youtube and found them quite interesting to say the least.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
So glad I took the time to watch this video.

24 year old heavy weed smoking me without that many responsibilities in life yet would have fucking loved this game.

44 year old (soon to be 45) me. with not a whole lot of time to put towards playing games these days yet I still do as it will always be my preferred hobby, will simply just not find much enjoyment in this game at all.

Kudos to those who can and will enjoy it. I do think I would have been enraptured with this game at one point in time. Visually it looks stunning and I love the bleakness. I just cannot find the time to do so these days.

Apr 3, 2018
I went nope after seeing longer uncut gameplay videos, I don't have time for that, but I watched the cutscenes some kind person had uploaded on youtube and found them quite interesting to say the least.

That's the route I'll likely go. One day, I'll block out some time and just watch uploaded cutscenes.

But this game's systems just sound like a chore. I don't want to play a video game and have to be mindful of my shoe's conditions, or soothe an in-game child. I'm busy enough with real-life work and parenthood.

But not every game is meant to appeal to every gamer, so I'll just save some cash this time around. I'm glad Kojima was able to make the game he wanted to make. Though having someone to check your worst impulses and tell you "no" isn't always a bad thing.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"It's boring.....and when it's not boring, it's fucking irritating."

Sounds like this game is simply bogged down by too many systems. Encumbrance? Ugh. Shoe degradation, really?

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
That's the route I'll likely go. One day, I'll block out some time and just watch uploaded cutscenes.

But this game's systems just sound like a chore. I don't want to play a video game and have to be mindful of my shoe's conditions, or soothe an in-game child. I'm busy enough with real-life work and parenthood.

But not every game is meant to appeal to every gamer, so I'll just save some cash this time around. I'm glad Kojima was able to make the game he wanted to make. Though having someone to check your worst impulses and tell you "no" isn't always a bad thing.
I don't want to spoil anything but as a parent I had some serious issues with the story, youtube was good for me since I could skip through some scenes. But it still needs to be said that Kojima is in a league of his own when it comes to games that tries to be movies.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
He has valid arguments for sure here. The more I see of this game the more I absolutely know it's not my thing. I find fetch quests to be a negative thing about games and I keep hearing DS is full of it. I hate being overencumbered in RPGs, it's here all the time according to Jim.

What he said about RDR2 as well, hey great game, but he's not wrong. Witcher 3 does it better when it comes to "skinning" animals, his comparison with the horse was half true, half not. Because the horse in Witcher 3 can be extremely annoying, all of a sudden halting for no reason etc.

ericsp17

Oct 27, 2017
Jim explained pretty well why he feels the way he does. I'm about 4 hours in so far and feel like I'm in the middle on this one. I don't hate it, don't love it. Don't feel very strongly at all about it, which is the one thing I didn't expect going in.

Puggles

Sometimes, it's not a fart
Nov 3, 2017
I can't believe this is a game that exists. It's everything I hate about video games and apparently that was the point? Hard pass

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Many people are playing the game right now in the OT and loving it 🤷🏻‍♂️ Maybe get out of the bubble of this thread

Box

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lancashire
Not watched a JS video for ages but that was great. I might have made my mind up about DS by the time it releases on PC.

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
genuinely if you look at the breadth of opinion there's tons of reviews that loved it and praise the game and are genuinely having fun. and there are some who didn't, and that's OK. if you only want to elevate a small number of voices to fit a narrative, that's on you.

Sasaud

Oct 28, 2017
I love Jim's videos, but after playing for around 10 hours (chapter 3) I honestly don't understand most of the criticism. Its takes a long time to complete missions but ur playing the game every second u control sam and for me it's been fun to micromanage the cargo and balance plus the presentation and story is blowing my mind with every cut scene.
Now if u hate those 2 aspects then it's not for u i guess.

I do know that i'm still in the beginning but unless it drops in quality massively then it will still be my GOTY

Titanpaul

Jan 2, 2019
I love Jim's videos, but after playing for around 10 hours (chapter 3) I honestly don't understand most of the criticism. Its takes a long time to complete missions but ur playing the game every second u control sam and for me it's been fun to micromanage the cargo and balance plus the presentation and story is blowing my mind with every cut scene.
Now if u hate those 2 aspects then it's not for u i guess.

I do know that i'm still in the beginning but unless it drops in quality massively then it will still be my GOTY

The criticism is what you are describing what you enjoy. He doesn't say it's a bad game, he says it's a bad game for him.

I love Outer Wilds. Other people do not. I can understand why, it's all good bb

Roshin

Oct 30, 2017
Sweden
I thought the video was perfectly reasonable. Jim didn't like DS and he explained why. I still want to play it, though.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
"It's boring.....and when it's not boring, it's fucking irritating."

Sounds like this game is simply bogged down by too many systems. Encumbrance? Ugh. Shoe degradation, really?
All I'm going to say it's way more fun playing than watching and after playing 13 hours the shoe degradation is overblown. You won't even notice it because it takes forever to degrade and you will have plenty of backup shoes. I'm enjoying it but I understand it's not for everyone.

RicJFNas

Oct 28, 2017
Seems like a fair view of the game. He knows it's not for him and states so, while still listing the positives he did find. Might get this after l finish Cold Steel 3.

Sasaud

Oct 28, 2017
The criticism is what you are describing what you enjoy. He doesn't say it's a bad game, he says it's a bad game for him.

I love Outer Wilds. Other people do not. I can understand why, it's all good bb
Sorry if i wasn't clear as english is not my first language, i was talking about reviews for the game in general, of course every one is entitled for their own opinions but reading some of them including impressions will convince u that it's the most boring game in the world (edge, giant bomb).

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I thought the video was perfectly reasonable. Jim didn't like DS and he explained why. I still want to play it, though.
Yeah, that was a very informative video imo. When games are trash his videos are very different.

pretty sure it will bore me, so I'll wait for a sale. Just to see it.

of the people playing it, how much walking is it really? His video is seeing the guy tripping over rough terrain all the time, that can't be the game, right?

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe this is a game that exists. It's everything I hate about video games and apparently that was the point? Hard pass
I get the reasons why I hate this type of game is why others love it. But what's cuts deep is that I assumed he wouldn't steer his games in this direction because of his work on previous games, games that made me a fan of his. Even MGS5, for all its faults, is mechanically brilliantly designed, and what isnt felt like a result of corporate meddling. But I don't see any of that in DS. I'm honestly losing faith in the guy, unfortunately, and starting to believe he had other talent that are equally responsible for his best work.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry if i wasn't clear as english is not my first language, i was talking about reviews for the game in general, of course every one is entitled for their own opinions but reading some of them including impressions will convince u that it's the most boring game in the world (edge, giant bomb).
Maybe because they think its the most boring game in the world