• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, that was a very informative video imo. When games are trash his videos are very different.

pretty sure it will bore me, so I'll wait for a sale. Just to see it.

of the people playing it, how much walking is it really? His video is seeing the guy tripping over rough terrain all the time, that can't be the game, right?
Thats the game

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
All I'm going to say it's way more fun playing than watching and after playing 13 hours the shoe degradation is overblown. You won't even notice it because it takes forever to degrade and you will have plenty of backup shoes. I'm enjoying it but I understand it's not for everyone.

Criticisms of the Shoe Degradation system seem to be less "this specific system is a huge hassle and actively drags my enjoyment of the game down" and more "this is a prime example of the systems bloat found in Death Stranding: It exists, and involves some level of interaction, but it doesn't actually enhance the game in any real way"

Jan 10, 2018
I'm really glad I'm not one of the people who are bored or restless playing these kind of games. To me they are like meditation; just total escapism where I forget everything else the moment I play them.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
How many reviews that call the game boring, tedious, irritating, encumbering, etc. will it take for people to finally believe it? It's not like Jim Sterling's opinions are out of the norm. He's echoing what many have said before him.
Believe what? People saying those criticisms and disliking the gameplay or mechanics isn't suddenly going to make people who like the game realize they're wrong and the criticisms are the truth about the game. This is no different than people hating and loving Climax, mother!, The Lobster, [insert divisive movie/book/show/game/etc.]

You realize people liking something you dislike isn't a matter of them not believing you, right?

Last edited:

Deleted member 29249

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Believe what? People saying that and disliking the gameplay or mechanics isn't suddenly going to make people like the game realize they're wrong and the criticisms are the truth about the game. This is no different than people hating and loving Climax, mother!, The Lobster, etc.

Agreed, I used to like spending hours farming ice giants in Everquest with a bard. Just running In circles and twisting songs. Some would say that was boring as hell but I enjoyed it.

OP
OP

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Quite informative. Seems to expand the sort of micromanagement that Metal Gear Solid started with way back in MGS3 before reaching the point that it did in MGSV along with that game's focus on an open world with lots of empty space... basically things that I personally didn't care for myself. The traversal looks tiresome, the mechanics very much sound overwrought, and it just doesn't seem like much fun as an actual game to me unfortunately.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
I think it's funny that Kojima got to do exactly what he wanted, put a bunch of his friends and people he idolizes in a movie and disguise it as a game.

Zonal Hertz

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
I hated RDR2, loved BOTW. Am pretty sure I'll hate this more than Red Dead from what I've seen so far. Good video and like other people have said, it says a lot when anyone who seems to like this game always has to come from a defensive angle. I wish Kojima wasn't tied to this game to get the real opinions on it from everyone.

Majin Boo

Oct 26, 2017
I share Jim's opinion of RDR2, and if DS is worse in regards to the unnecessary elements that derive the game from fun (which most of the reviews were already indicating), then I have absolutely no desire to play the game. I might however listen to the soundtrack. It's a shame because I am very open towards new and innovative ideas in video games, but I need a game to be fun, otherwise it's just a waste of time.

Kupo Kupopo

Jul 6, 2019
I hated RDR2, loved BOTW. Am pretty sure I'll hate this more than Red Dead from what I've seen so far. Good video and like other people have said, it says a lot when anyone who seems to like this game always has to come from a defensive angle. I wish Kojima wasn't tied to this game to get the real opinions on it from everyone.

so much this...

Salpal

Oct 25, 2017
Oh good. We're still doing this nonsensical "anyone who likes DS is a blind Kojima fanboy" bullshit.

People like the game. You don't. You don't have to paint everyone into some made up category just to satisfy yourself and your selective reading skills.

Deleted member 56266

Account closed at user request
Banned
Apr 25, 2019

"I would hate this game so other people should too, why do people act like they like it?"

Nice

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
There are only few videos that I disagree with Sterling. Degree might vary but result is always the same. This one was different among a handful and that's ok.

Zonal Hertz

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
Oh good. We're still doing this nonsensical "anyone who likes DS is a blind Kojima fanboy" bullshit.

People like the game. You don't. You don't have to paint everyone into some made up category just to satisfy yourself and your selective reading skills.

Sorry? I just said it's interesting anyone who likes the game has 100 caveats to it. I do also think a blind test on people who had no idea of Kojima (pretty much impossible) would be very interesting.

"I would hate this game so other people should too, why do people act like they like it?"

Nice

Again - just highlighting most people who like the game act very defensive/try to justify why they like it. Most great games don't make people act like that. Please don't get upset I'm really just observing what I've seen here and across the internet from most influencers/critics that have played the game.

I'm still going to be playing the game when it comes to PC...with an open mind ;)

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry? I just said it's interesting anyone who likes the game has 100 caveats to it. I do also think a blind test on people who had no idea of Kojima (pretty much impossible) would be very interesting.

Again - just highlighting most people who like the game act very defensive/try to justify why they like it. Most great games don't make people act like that. Please don't get upset I'm really just observing what I've seen here and across the internet from most influencers/critics that have played the game.

I'm still going to be playing the game when it comes to PC...with an open mind ;)
Yes...that's how every review and impression ever works: providing justifications and reasons for your position and why X resonates or doesn't

What's actually weird is the tendency to treat negativity as fine and expected, while framing positivity towards something as having an agenda or forced or not genuine

Salpal

Oct 25, 2017

That is NOT how that post reads.

You're literally saying that positive opinions on the game aren't real because Kojima is involved.

It's whatever, by the way. I'm not upset. I just see bullshit ideas like this and others get shared around here frequently and they're always baffling.

We are veering off topic, though, so I'm not going to push this any more.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
So bored with all of the critics railing on Death Stranding. It's cheap.
DS is blowing my mind/expectations for now, and I can't wait to play more.
Yeah it's easily the best game this year and the most unique of this generation. Its obviously not for everyone but man, people should be glad that a game like this can even exist in nowadays AAA market. We need more innovation and "strange" games. But yeah people love to hate on "hype" - games.

Combo

Banned
Jan 8, 2019
He heavily criticized the game by calling it boring and irritating and then gives it a 7? He called BotW a good game and gave it a 7 too.

Is he being inconsistent? Is 7/10 good or bad for him?

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
He heavily criticized the game by calling it boring and irritating and then gives it a 7? He called BotW a good game and gave it a 7 too. Mario Odyssey a 7 too.

Is he being inconsistent? Is 7/10 good ro bad for him?
He was making a joke about him giving BotW a 7.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Believe what? People saying those criticisms and disliking the gameplay or mechanics isn't suddenly going to make people who like the game realize they're wrong and the criticisms are the truth about the game. This is no different than people hating and loving Climax, mother!, The Lobster, [insert divisive movie/book/show/game/etc.]

You realize people liking something you dislike isn't a matter of them not believing you, right?

At this point I wouldn't even be surprised if Hideo Kojima made a very strenuous realistic IRS tax return simulator video game with tons of weird story elements and cutscenes and people would proclaim it game of the year.... *sigh*

anaa

Unshakable Resolve
Jun 30, 2019
suffice it to say.. death stranding looks like it will probably go down in history as one of the most divisive 'AAA' releases ever. my curiosity is piqued for whenever the pc version comes out

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
Yeah it's easily the best game this year and the most unique of this generation. Its obviously not for everyone but man, people should be glad that a game like this can even exist in nowadays AAA market. We need more innovation and "strange" games. But yeah people love to hate on "hype" - games.

My personal issue is not that its trying something new. I apreciate that in fact. Even had the game pre-ordered, but decided against it a day before release.

For me it seems that it will become repetitive very quick. That seems to be a common complaint right..? If the game was let's say 20 hours I would have surely tried it out now, but 40-50+ hours is a lot to ask: especially if there is little variety in what you do.

Maybe I am wrong, and it's something that you just need to play to get. Which I will some day when its slightly cheaper (30euro mark)

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
He heavily criticized the game by calling it boring and irritating and then gives it a 7? He called BotW a good game and gave it a 7 too.

Err he gave Odyssey a GOTY award. Might want to check things.

Edit: you edited that out lol.

Moltres006

Banned
Jan 5, 2019
Steam being a bit harsh here.

1573248849924.png

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
I share Jim's opinion of RDR2, and if DS is worse in regards to the unnecessary elements that derive the game from fun (which most of the reviews were already indicating), then I have absolutely no desire to play the game. I might however listen to the soundtrack. It's a shame because I am very open towards new and innovative ideas in video games, but I need a game to be fun, otherwise it's just a waste of time.

This game seems to have much more mechanically going on than RDR2...that is mechanically very straight forward with highly linear mission design. This seems a lot more freeform.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
I think the only thing Jim didn't cover that we've already seen (in troll form or not) is due to Kojima's name and stuff how many things will be seen as him "doing it first" or "making them popular." Like I've already seen a bunch of people talking about the "Social" features of DS that were coined before Dark Souls was a thing but made popular by it. I get wanting to help people and share the load so to speak but this isn't exactly a ground breaking feature, nor does the game "need to be" groundbreaking, but I feel some people need it to be.

Needless to say the game isn't for me, and I'm sure I'll get shit on for that because I love BOTW, but I'm happy that Kojima got to make the game HE wanted to make and not what someone else told him to make and I'm glad Jim led with that as well. True Creative Freedom is so damn rare and even if it's not my cup of tea I'd rather people make the games they want to see in the world, even if I don't want to play them.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it's easily the best game this year and the most unique of this generation. Its obviously not for everyone but man, people should be glad that a game like this can even exist in nowadays AAA market. We need more innovation and "strange" games.

Ugh, you're not making the staggered release on PC any easier.

Summer 2020 is so far away. :(

ry-dog

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I could happily deal with this game's bullshit if it wasn't 60 hours long. That's just completely disrespectful to the player's time

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017

As with all scores from anyone, it depends on the context of the review and one's perspective/tastes/etc at that point in time.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if there's people who dislike rdr2 but like death stranding.
Edge loved RDR2, hated Death Stranding. RDR2 seems completely opposite to this game, so whilst some of the comparisons about gratuitous animations and perhaps subsystems might be valid, the games are not comparable. RDR2 world is full of life, with multitude of activities to get lost in, DS is empty and barren, with mostly only one main activity .

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
I like Jim but I've got to disagree with him when he says Witcher 3's horse works better than RDR2's.