• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Very informative video but I think Jim got one thing wrong. He hates RDR2 but said people who like RDR2 will also like Death Stranding. I think RDR2 is one of the best games ever made yet Death Stranding does nothing for me from what I'm seeing so far. So yeah, not sure why Jim though there's a big overlap between RDR fans and this game.

Cugel

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 7, 2017
It's a bit my opinion too so far after 10 hours. Hope it's gets better. It's very indulgent with obnoxious writing :/
Hope it gets better

Zimmiwood

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it's easily the best game this year and the most unique of this generation. Its obviously not for everyone but man, people should be glad that a game like this can even exist in nowadays AAA market. We need more innovation and "strange" games. But yeah people love to hate on "hype" - games.
jim prefaces with this in the video tho, glad a game like DS can exist in the market but acknowledges that it's just not for him

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
So bored with all of the critics railing on Death Stranding. It's cheap.
DS is blowing my mind/expectations for now, and I can't wait to play more.

Like someone mentioned, solid MC. Why are people freaking out that there are people out there that just don't like this game?

Nov 1, 2017
My copy hasn't been sent yet but so far from what I've seen and heard it makes me think the same thing I think of when it comes to Kojima.

He needs a person to keep him in check. An editor or whatever.

Champion

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tampa, FL
So did people just ignore the intonation in his voice when he said 7/10? Its clearly a joke. I just cant tell if he's taking a shot at others who reviewed the game or Zelda fans, but its most likely the former.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Yeah it's easily the best game this year and the most unique of this generation. Its obviously not for everyone but man, people should be glad that a game like this can even exist in nowadays AAA market. We need more innovation and "strange" games. But yeah people love to hate on "hype" - games.

your best game of the year? I mean I'm happy for you but wow......I don't think I could have more of a different taste. It's far from the greatest game this year.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Kojima doesn't come across to me as being all that different from someone like David Cage. He is way too overconfident and has an unhealthy obsession with Hollywood and it reflects in his games, which come across as pretentious crap wrapped in half baked gameplay.
I give you everything there except the gameplay...usually. MGSV's gameplay is the new gold standard for stealth action as far as I'm concerned.

Oct 27, 2017
OKC
your best game of the year? I mean I'm happy for you but wow......I don't think I could have more of a different taste. It's far from the greatest game this year.

its my 2nd behind disco elysium for sure right now, but it could be #1 if the ending is strong. i think its definitely a lot better than anything else (other than DE) i've played this year. some people do actually like this game lol.

Twenty7kvn

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So did people just ignore the intonation in his voice when he said 7/10? Its clearly a joke. I just cant tell if he's taking a shot at others who reviewed the game or Zelda fans, but its most likely the former.
I think it's actually a joke against fanboys who go crazy about review scores.

Feb 10, 2018
Edge loved RDR2, hated Death Stranding. RDR2 seems completely opposite to this game, so whilst some of the comparisons about gratuitous animations and perhaps subsystems might be valid, the games are not comparable. RDR2 world is full of life, with multitude of activities to get lost in, DS is empty and barren, with mostly only one main activity .

From my understanding the walking, climbing, carrying stuff and general traversal, is a game in itself, In death stranding. A bit like how in the just cause games the grapple and physics manipulation is a game in itself.

Game mechanics which are not the common shooting, fighting.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hated RDR2, loved BOTW. Am pretty sure I'll hate this more than Red Dead from what I've seen so far. Good video and like other people have said, it says a lot when anyone who seems to like this game always has to come from a defensive angle. I wish Kojima wasn't tied to this game to get the real opinions on it from everyone.

The Belda argument. Please no

Altair

Jan 11, 2018

What are they supposed to do? Tell you how much they love it despite that not being the case? This post reads as if critics are railing on DS just because it's fun to do rather than it being because they just genuinely don't enjoy the game.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
It's not cheap. It's criticism

People dislking a game and reviews, developers, or anyone else criticizing something you enjoy has literally zero impact on your tastes and why something resonates with you. Criticism of something you enjoy isn't an attack on you, it isn't berating you, it isn't saying you are wrong for liking what you like. Death Stranding isn't somehow hurt or rendered lesser by negative words

One of my unabashedly favorite movies of the year is Crawl, no "guilty pleasure" modifier required. My appreciation and enjoyment of that movie isn't somehow lessened by reading reviews and impressions of people saying it's generic, it's stupid, or whatnot. I'd even agree with some of the criticism.

thefragrance

Avenger
Dec 18, 2017
Kojima doesn't come across to me as being all that different from someone like David Cage. He is way too overconfident and has an unhealthy obsession with Hollywood and it reflects in his games, which come across as pretentious crap wrapped in half baked gameplay.

This is exactly how I feel except he doesn't come across as pretentious, just a combination of naive, angsty, a little obnoxious and a little bit too sincere.
When the Guillermo Del Toro character doing his terrible Guillermo Del Toro impression and says that getting caught by the shadow people is literally game over while a hologram flashes the words 'game over' in the background, that shit isn't tongue in cheek, it just makes me want to quit the game and play something else. Same for all the other lengthy monologs that have characters pull out flow charts and infographics in case you don't understand what they're saying.

Pretentious would be 'hey, Kojima is reminding you that this is a game.' That's not his intent at all, that's just how the cutscenes in all of his game go

eta: I WANT the pretense and conceit of PT and I hope the story does get there later in the game

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
Right? Man, what would we do without them? Actually play these games for ourselves?

I don't get these sentiments. Not all of us have comfortable level of disposable income to spend sixty bucks just to 'play these games for ourselves', which is why it is valuable to see other people's opinions about it to gauge the game's compatibility with our interest.

'Don't listen to reviewers, just play the game yourself!', yeah well, can you give 60 bucks to anyone you're saying that to?

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
This is exactly how I feel except he doesn't come across as pretentious, just a combination of naive, angsty, a little obnoxious and a little bit too sincere.
When the Guillermo Del Toro character doing his terrible Guillermo Del Toro impression and says that getting caught by the shadow people is literally game over while a hologram flashes the words 'game over' in the background, that shit isn't tongue in cheek, it just makes me want to quit the game and play something else. Same for all the other lengthy monologs that have characters pull out flow charts and infographics in case you don't understand what they're saying.

Pretentious would be 'hey, Kojima is reminding you that this is a game.' That's not his intent at all, that's just how the cutscenes in all of his game go

eta: I WANT the pretense and conceit of PT and I hope the story does get there later in the game
If you are expecting subtly or nuance or for the game to treat you like don't need everything spelled out...don't expect that to change

Facism

Oct 25, 2017
Good video, confirms a lot of things i was wary about. Laughing at the 7/10 joke.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
I am actually glad he didn't like it, cause he always have very one dimensional taste in my opinion.

He didn't like anything ''complex'' meaning he didn't like weapon degradation, survival elements, inventory management, crafting, back tracking etc.

As long as a game is fun to his liking he will give it a high score regardless of the flaws.
Nioh got 10/10 from him despite the boring repetitive enemies and uninspired level structure/design. While Bloodbonre on the other hand only got a 9/10, despite the superior design of Bloodborne he prefers the combat of Nioh and that alone is enough to make it score higher in his eyes.

I am not saying ''Jim is wrong'' or ''Jim is a bad reviewer''

I am just saying that's how he is, his opinion is so straight forward and simplistic that you can tell he is pretty much always reviewing based on emotion instead of reason.
Remember that one time he gave Hellblade a 1/10 because of a ''bug'' and he had to change the score afterwards? That's emotional reviews for you.

Jim's reviews basically comes down to ''ME HAPPY, GAME GOOD! ME NO HAPPY, GAME BAD!''
Nothing wrong with that really, he isn't the only one who reviews with that mindset, but it is worth acknowledging.

I am not a hater by the way, I am subscribed to his channel and I enjoy most of his videos including this one. I just never took his opinions too seriously because of the reasons I mentioned above.

Last edited:

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I'm a fan of Jim's but whenever he doesn't enjoy a game like this it's irradiating how he calls all the survival elements a waste of time that adds nothing. Like he suggest taking all those things out will make a better game and that's crazy to me. Than you'll be walking across a world not caring about where you're going and with no risk and that sounds boring to me.

StayMe7o

May 11, 2018
Kamurocho
As someone with mild interest in Death Stranding, I think he was fair in his criticism. If you don't get his shtick, then it comes off as insane, but hyperbole aside, it was a pretty thorough impression. He talked about what he didn't like and liked and since he didn't like it, that took up most of the video. It's okay to accept differing opinions and if you're enjoying it, enjoy it.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
I watched it a bit ago, and convinced me that DS is definitely a 'wait till it goes on sale' game for me.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I gotta say I agree with Jim.
Not saying roach controls great but in my experience it never did anything as annoying as what the horses in red dead do.

At least they're self aware
images

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
My copy hasn't been sent yet but so far from what I've seen and heard it makes me think the same thing I think of when it comes to Kojima.

He needs a person to keep him in check. An editor or whatever.
He needs a localizer who is allowed to localize instead of being forced to produce a more or less literal translation. We wouldn't have "codec" if the guy who localized Metal Gear Solid had simply translated the game and the scripts of the subsequent Metal Gear Solid games have gotten worse since Kojima clamped down on the localizations after that.

atomsk eater

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't interested in the game outside the weirdness factor of what I'd heard of the story and the spectacle of some of the cutscenes (kudos to the people who worked on that cinnamon tography, designs, etc 'cause I have no idea what's going on but it looks really cool, at least) so I'm just watching a stream. The streamer I watched didn't say it was "fun" or "good", but did call the game "interesting" several times, although she seems like she is enjoying it. Gameplay wise it looks really boring to me, but I could see how some might like it.

Different strokes for different folks, and regardless of my interest in actually playing them I like seeing strange games like this get released.

dm101

Nov 13, 2018

Sterling was obviously never going to like the game, since it takes the parts from games such as RDR2 or BOTW that he dislikes the most, and makes a whole game around them.

Personally I enjoy the micromanagement of these kinds of games (and I have greatly enjoyed it in Death Stranding so far), so I have no issues with it.

Eeeek it sounds exhausting.