• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So basically a more pretentious form of the game Mudrunners, but with Norman Reedus instead of a big truck.

Chie Satonaka

Oct 25, 2017
I'm personally glad I watched Jim's video and I enjoyed it very much.

It made it even more clear that DS isn't for me.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
The game didn't look fun to me at all from ALL the footage I've seen.

I just signed off after playing it fro 12 hours straight, and I didn't want to stop.

This is NOT a game that can be communicated via gameplay videos, not at all.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica

I just signed off after playing it fro 12 hours straight, and I didn't want to stop.

How would you communicate it then?

My current impression is: Breath of the Wild but with added micro-systems on top (inventory management, gear management) + fetch quest focus. (I played over 100 hours of BOTW but I would never do that again knowing the type of non-enjoyment I got out of it)

I want to be proven wrong because the art and lore fascinates me. Please help.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Cheers for the impressions, Jim. This one is staying in the shrink wrap and being traded towards Last of Us Part II. It's hard to believe so much money and time has been piled into something so painfully dull just to satisfy Kojima's random impulses of excess.

Why don't you just return the game? Lol you say it's still wrapped

astro

Oct 25, 2017

My current impression is: Breath of the Wild but with added micro-systems on top (inventory management, gear management) + fetch quest focus. (I played over 100 hours of BOTW but I would never do that again knowing the type of non-enjoyment I got out of it)

It is just so very satisfying to plan a delivery and pull it off perfectly. The first few missions are tough going as you don't have much gear, but the game soon begins throwing new tools at you.

I'll just repost what I just wrote in the OT, this game is something special.

I was very, very unsure about this game after reading the reviews and seeing a little of the latest gameplay footage. This is not a game that is communicated well via gameplay videos and now that's even more apparent...

I woke up today and my first thought was "DS release day", and the next thing I know I'm on the train to my local retailer. Now, I'm signing off after 12 hours or so of constant play time... that's the first time a new game has made me do that for years.

I'm somewhere in Episode 3. I'm taking my time building things and completing extra deliveries. And from the first minute to the 12th hour this game has been absolutely incredible. I wouldn't be able to describe how the gameplay keeps me entertained without it sounding like I was taking the piss, but it has. I wouldn't be able to explain how satisfying it is to select a loadout, plan a route, and execute a perfect delivery without sounding a little insane. I mean, how can a game that is mostly comprised of fetch quests and balancing your load be this damn engaging?

The social aspects are absolutely brilliant, too. Seeing people like your buildings and knowing they helped other players, and finding clues and equipment that others have left makes the world feel more alive than most open world games I've played even though I never see another soul roaming around.

The story and world building are the exact kind of bat-shit Kojima I sorely wanted after MGSV left both lacking, so far at least.

Kojima might not have created a new genre of video game, but he might just have created another incredible video game experience.

I need to sleep now, but I don't want to.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
From what I can gather, the place that I bought it from doesn't accept returns
This is not a game you can communicate via gameplay videos, and it's not a game other people can tell you if you'll enjoy (even if they've aligned with you before) imo.

I would risk playing it, honestly. It's unique enough that you really do not know if it will grab you unless you try, and it's probably going to be best played now while all the social aspects are active.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
It is just so very satisfying to plan a delivery and pull it off perfectly. The first few missions are tough going as you don't have much gear, but the game soon begins throwing new tools at you.

I'll just repost what I just wrote in the OT, this game is something special.

Thanks for the time to share. I appreciate your mini review but it still doesn't sound like the type of experience I would usually enjoy from videogames, this in particular:

"I wouldn't be able to explain how satisfying it is to select a loadout, plan a route, and execute a perfect delivery without sounding a little insane. I mean, how can a game that is mostly comprised of fetch quests and balancing your load be this damn engaging? "

I will some months and research again.

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
Video reassured my decision to cancel the pre order I had.

This type of game just isnt for me at all. I can appreciate others may love it but this style of gameplay does jot appeal to me on top of kot being a kojima fan.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
your best game of the year? I mean I'm happy for you but wow......I don't think I could have more of a different taste. It's far from the greatest game this year.
What is the greatest game this year for you? Just to see how far away we really are.
My personal issue is not that its trying something new. I apreciate that in fact. Even had the game pre-ordered, but decided against it a day before release.

For me it seems that it will become repetitive very quick. That seems to be a common complaint right..? If the game was let's say 20 hours I would have surely tried it out now, but 40-50+ hours is a lot to ask: especially if there is little variety in what you do.

Maybe I am wrong, and it's something that you just need to play to get. Which I will some day when its slightly cheaper (30euro mark)
it's not more repetitive than most games where you level up, collect and build stuff. It has deep mechanics and introduces new ones frequently. At least for me there is a great sense of progress all the time that motivates me to do the next thing, build the next road or help out other players or level up another encampment to get that next sweet upgrade.

And then there is the meta gameplay where you connect to other players. And the interesting game world, characters and story.

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i have bought and returned this game six times can someone just please tell me if i can finally open it?

LuisGarcia

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
People should check out the OT of they are on the fence. It's hugely positive in there.

I keep going back and forward on it but it's definitely worth experiencing in my opinion. It's a pretty great game

Minilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
I'm loving it so far but can totally understand Jim's views too.

Game is not for everyone, that's for sure

Champion

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tampa, FL
Suuuuure you did....
yok.gif

You dont have to lie to kick it breh...

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
when you think about it I've probably eaten vegetables for more than 100 hours in my life. is there a vegetable message board to which i can post my disappointments?

Last edited:

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
"The game is annoying and when it's not it's boring "

All the micromanagement and little sybsystems is why I hate most modern games out there and prefer to play BotW with cheats on CEMU than originally intended, "boot/cargo degradation", "constant need to balance protagonist" WTF? I'll get the game on a Steam sale and mod the shit out of it. I doubt you're missing anything by skipping the annoying stuff or compromising Hideo ~Lord Sama~ Kojima's original vision.

Jaxar

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
How many reviews that call the game boring, tedious, irritating, encumbering, etc. will it take for people to finally believe it? It's not like Jim Sterling's opinions are out of the norm. He's echoing what many have said before him.

It's a VERY different vibe in the OT thread where people are actually playing it and enjoying it for the most part.

Tons of negativity in this thread though.

Oct 28, 2017
I enjoyed Jim's video. It gives a fare warning about the contents and mechanics of the game while not depreciating it. I will definitely pick it eventually on the PC.

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, this game seem to be everything I don't like into one amazingly carefully and expensively produced package.

Might buy it on a really cheap sale just to see how much money spent for something so specific looks like, kind of like the Jaws videogame.

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a VERY different vibe in the OT thread where people are actually playing it and enjoying it for the most part.

Tons of negativity in this thread though.
No shit, people interested in this kind of experiences are buying it, people that are not attracted to this kind of games are keeping their money.

sado0og

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
U blamed MC users reviews for 6.6/10 and called it bombing....

But u r fine with jim gave it 7/10..

How ironic...

Phil me in

Nov 22, 2018
His review sounds on point. I think gamers miss the point of gams some times. They're supposed to be fun based on your inputs. The game can be the most boring, garbage ever with the worst gameplay ever conceded and have an amazing story. It would still be a terrible game.

People have been very vocal on how they hate fetch quests, this comes along and is fetch quest the game.

Jaxar

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
No shit, people interested in this kind of experiences are buying it, people that are not attracted to this kind of games are keeping their money.

The point was those actually playing it are enjoying it for the most part. Then there's folks in this thread who are mostly getting caught up in the negativity of the thoughts of others and making their judgement without any first hand experience.

Whatever floats your boat I guess.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
His review sounds on point. I think gamers miss the point of gams some times. They're supposed to be fun based on your inputs. The game can be the most boring, garbage ever with the worst gameplay ever conceded and have an amazing story. It would still be a terrible game.

People have been very vocal on how they hate fetch quests, this comes along and is fetch quest the game.
I'm with you pal. I don't find Dota 2 much fun either so we may as well remove that one too. The people playing it really do miss the point of games lol.

mescalineeyes

Banned
May 12, 2018
Vienna

reductionism is one hell of a drug

this game rules

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The point was those actually playing it are enjoying it for the most part. Then there's folks in this thread who are mostly getting caught up in the negativity of the thoughts of others and making their judgement without any first hand experience.

Whatever floats your boat I guess.
In an ideal world everyone would be able to play the game before purchasing.

We don't live in said world and you can't ask people to spend 60 dollars just to confirm that they don't like what they think they don't like.

Jan 20, 2019

No, the game can be fun to peopel, just because you dont like it dont call the game boring to everyone, especealy when you haven't even play the game.

There is close to 0 management, the boots take a long time until you need to remove, the game auto manages alone and unless you carying more that you need, you actualy never need to press L2/R2.

The game has other problemns, but mycro systems is not one of them.

2b_miner

Mar 7, 2019
I am absolutely fine with his opinion of the game, they are an individual's opinions at the end of the day, his opinions on Remnant from the ashes are based off the first few hours of the game which are diametrically opposite to how I feel about the game

Jaxar

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
In an ideal world everyone would be able to play the game before purchasing.

We don't live in said world and you can't ask people to spend 60 dollars just to confirm that they don't like what they think they don't like.

I'm not sure where all that came from but you don't need to spend any money to view something with an honest open mind.

But it's all good. Like I said, whatever floats your boat.

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017
Everything I hear about the game mechanics like durability, limitations and etc, is everything I hate in games, all wrapped up to make it worst. Glad I didn't get DS. It's not a game for me.

I feel the same way. Everything i hear about this game is stuff I fucking hate in games, lol.

To each their own though , that why all types of games exist.

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
The length is what got me. I was expecting this to be a 30 hour game at most. 40 hours plus is insane for what it is.

squall23

Oct 25, 2017
This game feels like it's the perfect reason why Cheat Engine and mods exists. Like the idea of degrading boots. Don't like it? Set it to never degrade and leave it alone. That's definitely what I'm going to be doing when/if I play the PC version.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
This game feels like it's the perfect reason why Cheat Engine and mods exists. Like the idea of degrading boots. Don't like it? Set it to never degrade and leave it alone. That's definitely what I'm going to be doing when/if I play the PC version.
I was thinking about this as well, but then

- I'd take out degrading shoes, because it sucks
- I'd take out the encumbrance system, because people hated this since TES
- I'd take out degradation through rain, because bleh
- I'd take out carry limits for ladders or ropes or whatever so I can traverse in peace
- I'd make my grenades stronger since all fights are basically endurance runs on how long you can throw those things and how many you produced beforehand
- I'd make the baby not goddamn scream all the time
- I'd try to remove general time sinks, limiting systems and inventory management stuff, as ppl do in most games.

Now, what actual game is left there? Just pressing up to go from A to B to C and back to A again?

I feel this game is trying to make all these degradement systems, encumbrance and inconvenience scales the actual game (which is why I won't play it I guess), so I'm not sure if removing these would actually make the game itself better, or just more boring.

Pacote

Oct 25, 2017
São Paulo

I would have to agree. Seems boring from every video I've watched. Pressed new game and after 18h I finally shut it down cause I've to sleep. Game is amazing? Not a single minute I felt bored. So far (chapter4) tons of new mechanics still being added

And wtf is this boots degrading talk? It takes a long time to degrade and boots are cheap af u can fill a truck with it if you want.