• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
What is not true about it. I mean sure you can build objects to help others...but if you want to see the game to the end you literally walk or ride from one hologram to another delivering parcels...that's the game.
That's like saying Burnout Paradise or Mudrunner is just driving from point A to point B and crossing a finish line. Sure, in those games, you hold down accelerate for the entire game but the actual nuance of navigation and controlling your vehicles are what turn rote actions into gameplay

Yes, in Death Stranding, you walk from A to B. Between those points is a matter of evaluating terrain in the step-by-step instances of gameplay, planning routes based on cargo and terrain, balancing speed versus stability, strategic use of limited tools, avoiding/fleeing/fighting enemies, etc. Going "well, you just walk to places" is a tad reductive when the traversal is the core gameplay system; it's akin to stating "you just aim and press a button" in a conversation about a shooter.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
because the point of a racing game is to compete. it's a competition. a better comparison would be something like truck simulator

i think the level of strategy and route planning and scarcity of resources has to be something that you bring to the game. because i've played for almost 20 and i haven't really thought about any of that and the game has been fine, i like it a lot. but it's still just fetch quests. there's stuff around it, but you're still just doing fetch quests

vrcsix

Oct 29, 2017
funny how people take negative opinions on this game-especially from Sterling who has a very hit or miss taste when it comes to games-as confirmation that it sucks without playing it themselves. games need to be played to judge them, not watched or read about.

meanwhile, people in the OT playing the game are having a blast, myself included. one of the strangest, freshest and most mysterious game experiences in a long time. this is experimental stuff on a AAA budget and it rocks, the market needs more games of this caliber and not retreats to old ideas and concepts.

If this didn't require more money and time than most people have, you'd have a point. In reality, people can usually make reliable screenings by combining review observations with their own experiences. This needn't be said, really. In my case, I already know that I vehemently dislike the kind of systems that are in this game - so I'm not going to waste time and money on it.

Besides, Sterling's observations are largely echoes of what's already been said about this game.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
15+ hours into the game and not bored one bit. Game is engrossing and opens up a bit in ep3. All I can say is that it's way different playing than watching.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
funny how people take negative opinions on this game-especially from Sterling who has a very hit or miss taste when it comes to games-as confirmation that it sucks without playing it themselves. games need to be played to judge them, not watched or read about.
Are you willing to say this about every game ever made, or just the ones that you enjoy?

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
There is almost no micromanagent at all, where did you heard layers of it?
You make your character piss and shit, you have to take care of your boots, drink, you have to manage each individual arm to stay balanced, manage a baby which includes literally stopping to sooth and rock them, manage degradation of packages, manage where each piece of cargo sits on your person

Jan 20, 2019
You make your character piss and shit, you have to take care of your boots, drink, you have to manage each individual arm to stay balanced, manage a baby which includes literally stopping to sooth and rock them, manage degradation of packages

No.

You dont need to piss you also dont need to drink.

You dont need to take care of the baby unless you fall and even then, you dont.,
the damage to the package is a no issue because they have 1 layer of protection.

You change your boots once every 3/4 hours a unless you carry more that you need, you dont need to balance, unless you are climing a moutain.

unholyFarmer

Jan 22, 2019
Ironically that video convinced me that the game is totally for me. This is not a dig at Jim Sterling but the way he describes it sounds like it's exactly up my alley.
Same here. Jimpressions have this interesting effecf: even if he is tearing down a game, he puts so much emphasis on what he dislikes that it could actually make you interested in the game if that seems your jam.

For instance, his 2 or 3 videos on DW9 - which he despised - made me buy that game (alongside some positive comments from users here). I agree with many of his points, but was still able to overlook most of the problems since there was something there for me. Got 2 hundred hours in it, DW9 is great - thanks Jim!

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Obviously a lot. But saying "all you do in this game is to walk from a to b" feels like trolling at this point.
No.

You dont need to take care of the baby unless you fall and even then, you dont.,
the damage to the package is a no issue because they have 1 layer of protection.

You change your boots once every 3/4 hours a unless you carry more that you need, you dont need to balance, unless you are climing a moutain.

So you can literally walk from point a to point b?

Oct 30, 2017
I think the video is being pretty fair towards the game. He says he didn't enjoy it, but admits he can see how a lot of people would. That's fine.

Just one small issue, though - when he talks about how the horse in RDR2 keeps crashing into the trees, I feel like we've played different games. In my time with RDR2 (which must be close to 350 hours now), it has literally never happened to me. Idk what he was doing, playing it like Forza Horizon or something?
I played it for enough hours to get all the way through the epilogue—I don't think the game keeps track and I certainly didn't—and I constantly crashed and got into trouble with the law for running into people. Guess you're a natural Virtual horse rider!

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
No.

The point is that it all adds up to something very bloated with a overabundance of systems that to people like Jim do much to turn someone off from a game. People said the same thing about RDR2: "You don't need to bathe, or shave, or cut your hair, or change your clothes, or pet your horse, or clean your guns, etc", but then the question is, why is it there then? At what point is it going to be seen by some as too much when the defense of things being in the game is "you don't need it"? It's throwing a lot of things at the player, expecting them to remember it or else why would it be brought up, and it absolutely adds to the sense of bloat.

Jan 20, 2019
The point is that it all adds up to something very bloated with a overabundance of systems that to people like Jim do much to turn someone off from a game. People said the same thing about RDR2: "You don't need to bathe, or shave, or cut your hair, or change your clothes, or pet your horse, or clean your guns, etc", but then the question is, why is it there then? At what point is it going to be seen by some as too much when the defense of things being in the game is "you don't need it"? It's throwing a lot of things at the player, expecting them to remember it or else why would it be brought up, and it absolutely adds to the sense of bloat.

No, it doenst.

You said that need to be done but you dont and just tells me you know very little about the game.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
No, it doenst.

You said that need to be done but you dont and just tells me you know very little about the game.
...I've played like 6 hours so far, and I do not understand the motivation behind presenting your opinion as seemingly objective fact and unwillingness to discuss opinion with any nuance.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Then why did you answer that? If you played 6 hours of the game then you know you dont need to that, what was the point of that coment?
I already literally told you the point.

Jan 20, 2019
I already literally told you the point.

And i told you, that all of that is optional, all of it.

I understand why jim didn't like it, but you said the game has layers of micromanagement and i told you that is false and you try to justify with option things, specaly the piss part.

But lets move on, no reason to go on and i apology for anything.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Okay, but you're missing the point. I explained how optional things add to the feeling of bloat, and how any information given by the game is information that players are going to be expected to internalize regardless of whether they are optional. To further express that, I can go a step further and say that even if the systems are optional, being presented with them and learning them are expectations put on the player in most cases, or at the very least expectations players will put on themselves in order to full understand the mechanics of the game, so in that sense they really aren't completely optional just by virtue of being in the game.

THRILLHO

Nov 6, 2017
What is not true about it. I mean sure you can build objects to help others...but if you want to see the game to the end you literally walk or ride from one hologram to another delivering parcels...that's the game.

do they ever explain why you are delivering packages to holograms? What does a hologram need with survival supplies?

Jan 20, 2019
Okay, but you're missing the point. I explained how optional things add to the feeling of bloat, and how any information given by the game is information that players are going to be expected to internalize regardless of whether they are optional. To further express that, I can go a step further and say that even if the systems are optional, being presented with them and learning them are expectations put on the player, so in that sense they really aren't completely optional just by virtue of being in the game.

Yes i agree on that logic, but has a player myself that played rdr2 i use like half of the options the game gives you and at any point, did i feel the game has force me to do something i didnt want to.

Oct 27, 2017

I understand why jim didn't like it, but you said the game has layers of micromanagement and i told you that is false and you try to justify with option things, specaly the piss part.

But lets move on, no reason to go on and i apology for anything.
Red Mercury has been very clear. It being optional or mandatory is irrelevant.

There are a plethora of systems (related to what in other games would be minor or inconsequential things) present in the game. Due to the volume of these systems, the game could, to some people, feel bloated. These systems, by your own admission, are present.

Jan 20, 2019
Red Mercury has been very clear. It being optional or mandatory is irrelevant.

There are a plethora of systems (related to what in other games would be minor or inconsequential things) present in the game. Due to the volume of these systems, the game could, to some people, feel bloated. These systems, by your own admission, are present.

Not it is not irrelevant.

It is one thing to piss in the game as option and another to have to do as mandatory.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Don't play the game before haring it.

Don't read the OT before saying what's in the OT.

This thread...

Opinions in the OT are a sample of people who read the reviews, read about all the fetch quests and layers of micromanagement and still thought it sounded like something they would enjoy. Those people who dislike even the sound of all that most likely simply didn't even buy it to begin with, so citing positivity in the OT doesn't mean an awful lot.

OTs nearly always have a bias to positivity because people don't tend to buy things they don't think they'll enjoy and Death Stranding moreso than most games is incredibly divisive at a base concept level.
No, the OT is also full of people like me who thought the game looked very boring and decided to run with it anyway because it was worth a shot just out of sheer curiosity and hope and ended up loving it.

Like, this jjbd if post is all over the OT.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
You make your character piss and shit, you have to take care of your boots, drink, you have to manage each individual arm to stay balanced, manage a baby which includes literally stopping to sooth and rock them, manage degradation of packages, manage where each piece of cargo sits on your person
It is nowhere near this complex though.

You shower, piss, and shit to (very slight mechanic spoiler)

initially create a bio-grenade from each body fluid, and then when you run out and need more
It's pretty much the same as reasreching/buying items.

Boots take AGEs to degrade and all you do is quickly switch to the spare pair you have then recycle and buy another pair at tbe next terminal.

You only drink as a "potion" to regain stamina, not a survival mechanic.

You don't HAVE to manage each arm or worry about finding perfect balance with how your weight is distributed. All you need to do is load everything on to your back with a simple button hold, then press one more button to auto distribute evenly across your body.

Yes, timefall degrades packages. And you do need to manage this on long routes, but it does take quite along time in rainfall for your packages to deteriorate. And sometimes IF you make a mistake (get swept away, get caught by a BT, etc...) you will need to sooth your BB (which will be auto "soothed" when you return to your private room in-between missions.

So, yes, all these mechanics exist, but they are nowhere near as intrusive or constant as people are saying with words like "micromanage".

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Yes i agree on that logic, but has a player myself that played rdr2 i use like half of the options the game gives you and at any point, did i feel the game has force me to do something i didnt want to.
Sure, I know what you mean. I also did not use a lot of the things RDR2 makes available to you, but for me as it was introducing system after system, it just became information overload to the degree that it hurt my experience with the game. I know that not everyone is going to feel that way, in this instance I do think Jim felt that way about Death Stranding. I would even say in my case I can maybe chalk it up to just getting older and wanting more focused gaming experiences, because with all the responsibilities I have with my job, my kids, my house, all of that shit, when a game presents me with a ton of extraneous information it just turns me off. It feels like it's not respecting my time by just piling a ton of systems and information on me that don't necessarily make the game any more fun (which I know is subjective).

Jan 10, 2018
The harsh negativity from some reviewers have really made me question what it really is that I like so much with games like this. Because I think that all the systems in place only makes the game more thrilling and engaging and I don't understand why anyone would want them gone.

I'm the kind of person who likes to take a bike instead of a car in GTA because I have more time to just enjoy the surroundings and all the random events. I'm the kind of person who spends a lot of time setting up my car and manage my strategy in a racing game because I think it only makes the racing more rewarding. I'm the kind of person who can spend an entire day just crafting in an RPG because I just want to explore the wilderness and avoid action from time to time. I'm the kind of person who don't buy a mount as soon as I can in an MMO because I don't like to bring up the pace of exploring. And in Death Stranding I guess I'm the kind of person who really likes taking my time to engage with every system so that my traveling can feel as rewarding as possible; because ultimately I'm in charge of all the nuances that can make or break a journey.

Jan 20, 2019
Sure, I know what you mean. I also did not use a lot of the things RDR2 makes available to you, but for me as it was introducing system after system, it just became information overload to the degree that it hurt my experience with the game. I know that not everyone is going to feel that way, in this instance I do think Jim felt that way about Death Stranding. I would even say in my case I can maybe chalk it up to just getting older and wanting more focused gaming experiences, because with all the responsibilities I have with my job, my kids, my house, all of that shit, when a game presents me with a ton of extraneous information it just turns me off. It feels like it's not respecting my time by just piling a ton of systems and information on me that don't necessarily make the game any more fun (which I know is subjective).

Oh i can see that, sometimes too much information can hurt the experience.

Wink784

Oct 27, 2017
Soon as I saw the first reviews I knew Jim was gonna dislike this game. Let's be honest, Jim's a fun commentator on the industry, but when it comes to game design he has a very straightforward, might I say boring, taste. FFXV is great, BOTW a 7, RDR2 should have been more like Assassins Odyssey. Glad he understands that it's a good thing for the triple A industry at least. Might have also mentioned that it's a non bullshit game just like Outer Worlds which he so loved. Complete experience for 60 without microtransactions.
The harsh negativity from some reviewers have really made me question what it really is that I like so much with games like this. Because I think that all the systems in place only makes the game more thrilling and engaging and I don't understand why anyone would want them gone.

I'm the kind of person who likes to take a bike instead of a car in GTA because I have more time to just enjoy the surroundings and all the random events. I'm the kind of person who spends a lot of time setting up my car and manage my strategy in a racing game because I think it only makes the racing more rewarding. I'm the kind of person who can spend an entire day just crafting in an RPG because I just want to explore the wilderness and avoid action from time to time. I'm the kind of person who don't buy a mount as soon as I can in an MMO because I don't like to bring up the pace of exploring. And in Death Stranding I guess I'm the kind of person who really likes taking my time to engage with every system so that my traveling can feel as rewarding as possible; because ultimately I'm in charge of all the nuances that can make or break a journey.
That's the thing I don't personally understand about the "wasting my time, videogame" argument. What is one person's waste of time is an other's reason for playing.

Last edited:

Deleted member 9479

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Except that's not how this thread has been at all? Like a big chunk of people who disagree have stated as such, acknowledged that the game isn't suited for everyone's tastes, and that it makes sense that Jim would bounce off given what he does and doesn't like. Jim himself pretty much says the same thing in his video

The weird freakouts are the posts going (in sum and substance) I knew this was terrible, people who say they're liking this are just being defensive and always making caveats, see they're always trying to justify why they like it so that's evidence why it's bad

*looks back over thread*. in general, most people are being reasonable whether they like the game or not. What you call freak outs about people not liking read more like "yeah so right, similar to what I've read elsewhere, not for me" to me. Others have said "he's right but also hey that sounds up my alley".

what I call freak outs (and to be clear I'm not talking about just this thread strictly) are on the order of "Jim is terrible and his opinions are terrible and he's talking out his ass for laughs and clicks".

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
i'm not sure i get the comparison jim makes with rdr2 and comparing a game having you have to control a horse through a forest to avoid trees, or animating you looting corpses rather than just putting things in your inventory, with a game that has you manage boot ware, package balance, and crying babies. like, one is definitely not like the other.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
i'm not sure i get the comparison jim makes with rdr2 and comparing a game having you have to control a horse through a forest to avoid trees, or animating you looting corpses rather than just putting things in your inventory, with a game that has you manage boot ware, package balance, and crying babies. like, one is definitely not like the other.
The latter also isn't like people are stating it is either. There is no micromanagment, because everything takes a decent amount of time to actually degrade/need attending to.

Spinky

Oct 25, 2017
London
As long as a game is fun to his liking he will give it a high score regardless of the flaws.
Nioh got 10/10 from him despite the boring repetitive enemies and uninspired level structure/design. While Bloodbonre on the other hand only got a 9/10, despite the superior design of Bloodborne he prefers the combat of Nioh and that alone is enough to make it score higher in his eyes.
He's said a number of times it's between Bloodborne and Silent Hill 2 for his favourite game ever.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (3 days): trolling
This is already happening and it's cracking me up. Here's a few choice gems from the OT:

"I actually really enjoy how lifeless the world is"

"I found one place to hide from the rain, and stayed there like, 15 minutes waiting. Anyway, the game creates a lot of cool moments, like every game Kojima did."

"I'm bored playing this game but I still want to continue either way. Weird."

"I mean at its core its just a walking simulator wrapped around long and obscure cutscenes but I'm loving it all"

"The Gameplay is on the tedious side, but it fits the story and I don't find it negative."

Literally can't make this shit up.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
Suuuuure you did....
yok.gif

You dont have to lie to kick it breh...

You want my Switch user ID so that you can corroborate it, as well as random pictures taken througout the whole experience? It will be very easy to show you hard facts. There is not need to create fake experiences or stories, I focus on the actual relevant stuff.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
No, the game can be fun to peopel, just because you dont like it dont call the game boring to everyone, especealy when you haven't even play the game.

There is close to 0 management, the boots take a long time until you need to remove, the game auto manages alone and unless you carying more that you need, you actualy never need to press L2/R2.

The game has other problemns, but mycro systems is not one of them.

Thank you. This is the type of simple "hard facts" that people are having so much trouble trying to communicate. It should be binary: a list of things you can do, or cant do (with a bit of a short description of a use case like you did ).

Instead we get "you cant sense what this game is from a video" responses. I respect that but then it should be easy to just list what it is, or what it isn't.

I appreciate your response, it doesn't sound as bad as Jim mentioned.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
This is already happening and it's cracking me up. Here's a few choice gems from the OT:

"I found one place to hide from the rain, and stayed there like, 15 minutes waiting. Anyway, the game creates a lot of cool moments, like every game Kojima did."

"I mean at its core its just a walking simulator wrapped around long and obscure cutscenes but I'm loving it all"

"The Gameplay is on the tedious side, but it fits the story and I don't find it negative."

Yeah it's pretty funny, particularly with some folks that blatantly having spent so much time wrapped in the marketing and feral hype forum bubble.

As for me, I'm picking up the game on PC precisely because I enjoy ETS played very sporadically, and want to see what I think of it. If I do like it enough, figure I'll give the game a chance every now and then, and end up finishing it like, 5 years later probably haha

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017

Basically, "I actually like the taste of shit! Really, I do!"

Salpal

Oct 25, 2017

Maybe you should step back and enjoy a videogame, any videogame, instead of skimming OTs to poke fun at people enjoying a videogame.

People like different things for different reasons.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you. This is the type of simple "hard facts" that people are having so much trouble trying to communicate. It should be binary: a list of things you can do, or cant do (with a bit of a short description of a use case like you did ).

Instead we get "you cant sense what this game is from a video" responses. I respect that but then it should be easy to just list what it is, or what it isn't.

I appreciate your response, it doesn't sound as bad as Jim mentioned.
But that's not how enjoyment and tastes operate. It's not a binary thing; they depends on context, mood, genre, and myriad other facets.

The fact that you think those comments are some kind of mental knots people are making to try and idk, force themselves to find something enioyable but really they can't stand it and are just making excuses...is ridiculous. Instead of you know, simply taking such comments at face value and accepting that different things click with people for different reasons. Hell, the same person can bounce off something hard but then have it click with them later.

flaxknuckles

Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm, I really don't understand this, played on both ps4 and Xbox, rode the fastest horse in the game (the white Arabian) most of the time, it literally never happened to me. The only time I crashed into anything was when a guy on a cart rammed me during a scripted chase once.
It happened to me a few times and it's like the horse homes head first into the tree because no matter how much I pull the analog stick away the dumb thing is intent on knocking itself out. My horse has also tripped over rocks and even tripped over nothing during the intro to chapter 6 when that song is playing. It ruined such a good moment.