• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Played the first few hours. Not for me. I like the inventory management and planning, it's just so tedious at the start. Game could have been a much more interesting title if it were a 10 hour game and condense all the tedious fetch quest stuff and got right into the story.

Jan 10, 2018
Played the first few hours. Not for me. I like the inventory management and planning, it's just so tedious at the start. Game could have been a much more interesting title if it were a 10 hour game and condense all the tedious fetch quest stuff and got right into the story.

10 hours is incredibly short for a game that is about open world travel and environmental problem solving. 10 hours is not even enough to clear the first region. I think I spent like 2 hour for just one rather short trek, because it became so technical at places. But it never felt so long, time just flies by when you really get into it (imo).

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
10 hours is incredibly short for a game that is about open world travel and environmental problem solving. 10 hours is not even enough to clear the first region. I think I spent like 2 hour for just one rather short trek, because it became so technical at places. But it never felt so long, time just flies by when you really get into it (imo).
Which is why I'll wait on the Steam version and mod it. I don't like the tedium so will skip past all the shitty systems and condense the game into a tighter experience.

Elephant

Nov 2, 2017
Nottingham, UK
He's a echoed a bunch of other reviewers I respect (albeit beautifully harsher). This game seems like a big dollop of Marmite.

All the positive reviews I've listened to of the game have a lot of the same complaints, it's just that they can overlook them in favour of the things they enjoyed.

It's definitely a game I want to experience at some point. But yes, it'll be in a sale.

Jan 10, 2018
Which is why I'll wait on the Steam version and mod it. I don't like the tedium so will skip past all the shitty systems and condense the game into a tighter experience.

The negative talk about all the time consuming systems is heavily exaggerated. I've played for 25 hours now and I've changed boots twice, I have never peed, I've had to drink water like three times, I have rested maybe five times and I rarely have to craft anything because players are highly generous with their shared items.

As for balancing your gear it's only challenging if you overdo it and it can be mitigated by upgrading your gear. This goes for timefall damage as well which can be neutralized with various unlocks later on.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Personally, I think they could have cut the game down to 10 or so hours and still had the feeling of traversing a harsh and desolate environment. Plus they could have condensed the story into something truly interesting, instead of it feeling like anime filler. I find it hard to get into a game that really does not get good until 10+ hours in.

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
IDK, mabye because selling games can be a real pain and you still lose money in the process?

No shit you'll lose some money. But you also get to play the game for a decent amount of time.

Anecdotal context:
I bought CoD MW on launch day for 59.99€ and sold it on eBay for 53€ yesterday evening (minus shipping that's 50€).
DS is less of a "blockbuster" than the CoDs, FIFAs or GTAs but you I can guarantee you will get 40€ back on eBay for DS within the next couple of weeks.

I honestly don't get that "wait for sales" mentality. Most of these deals are PSN only (0.00€ resell value) and if a retail copy goes down to 29.99€, the resell value will drop accordingly.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
deliveries and traversal get easier as you progress guys
Indeed, which is the entire point of the game; you have to earn it. It's supposed to be hard at the start, you're actively (and imo, satisfyingly) working your way up to an easier life. Would having a bike at the start be as meaningful if you've not experienced rough and tough traversal over rocky surfaces first? No. I think the games' pacing is just fine. I'm not even 10 hours in and I'm already getting a real sense of progression.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Indeed, which is the entire point of the game; you have to earn it. It's supposed to be hard at the start, you're actively (and imo, satisfyingly) working your way up to an easier life. Would having a bike at the start be as meaningful if you've not experienced rough and tough traversal over rocky surfaces first? No. I think the games' pacing is just fine. I'm not even 10 hours in and I'm already getting a real sense of progression.
Tbh, they could have given players all the mobility tools from the outset and then have moments where you don't have everything and it would have still have had that feeling or progression. Give players hope and then take it away from them and get them to fight for survival. Payoff is way better IMHO.

Jan 10, 2018
Personally, I think they could have cut the game down to 10 or so hours and still had the feeling of traversing a harsh and desolate environment. Plus they could have condensed the story into something truly interesting, instead of it feeling like anime filler. I find it hard to get into a game that really does not get good until 10+ hours in.

I'm not sure what is supposed to happen to make you feel engaged if the game hasn't grabbed you at the beginning? Even if they put more cutscenes in there, and possibly more action, it's still just going to be about walking distances and trying to figure out the best course of action. It is - at its core - a game about the thrill of traveling and facing challenges that comes with the environment and the threats that have come to control it. I think the beginning of the game conveys this rather well as there's barely any distraction that comes between you and your travels for a very long time. You can focus on learning the systems, planning everything at your own pace and try to interact with other players in various ways.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
And the game isn't as divisive as many are making it out. The majority of review scores were above 80, and only 6 were below 70 last time I checked (this is on MC, btw, plenty of other reviews out there from sites on on MC and I'm sure it updated since I looked last).

Point is, the level of divisiveness is being blown up by people here, a lot. I'm hearing nothing but positive feedback in the wild.

Very curious to see how it pans out... my point is seeing a second hand copy this soon is not a indication of anything overall.

I am not gonna lie, I genuinely believe a lot of OT's are usually overly positive. Especially at launch.

But I am liking the game so far.... honestly did not see that coming. Everything about it looked boring to me, except the story.
Funnily enough I think the story so far is a bit wack, because the acting can be cheesy whilst the tone is dead serious. Gameplay I am enjoying so far surprisingly.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I am not gonna lie, I genuinely believe a lot of OT's are usually overly positive. Especially at launch.

But I am liking the game so far.... honestly did not see that coming. Everything about it looked boring to me, except the story.
Funnily enough I think the story so far is a bit wack, because the acting can be cheesy whilst the tone is dead serious. Gameplay I am enjoying so far surprisingly.
Yes, OTs are generally more positive... but my point wasn't the positivity, but the fact the vast majority of review feedback is positive and the calls of "divisive" are often playing up the fact it is nowhere near a 50/50 love/hate split.

Also the number of players with posts like this:

There are SO many players like this who said they thought the game looked bad after reading feedback, review,s and viewing footage. Far too many to say "oh, this one person I usually gel with says it's bad so it's not for me!".

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
Disclaimer: As always, I can see Jim's POV and he's entitled to his opinion.

What I didn't appreciate about this video was how "bad faith" his video was edited. Really looked more like a crowbcat/dunkey montage than a realistic slice of the actual thing:

A)
Him sprinting full steam ahead with the Exo Suit to make it seem as mundane and boring as possible.
Well that stuff is only possible in few locations, he also doesn't scan for lost cargo and consumables (which are huge) on the way.
Seems like he picked the most boring area/mechanic to make a point.

B)
He's riding his Tricycle full speed ahead into rocks and then accelerates into the rock. Even tho you can easily curve the rocks if you slow down a little.

Honestly don't believe he needs gimmicks like these to make his points.

s0l0kill

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And this is the grouse many have with reviews. It's hard to see how A game that 'takes a while to pick up' gets 10/10 reviews, especially when that treshold is around 10 hours.
I meant the story, the gameplay loop was great throughout the entire game, it gets good reviews because it's a good game, did you even play it before shitting on it?

Last edited:

mescalineeyes

Banned
May 12, 2018
Vienna
And this is the grouse many have with reviews. It's hard to see how A game that 'takes a while to pick up' gets 10/10 reviews, especially when that treshold is around 10 hours.
it really doesn't though. I have a mild case of ADD and even I was engrossed through the first few hours of the game (it took me 7 hours to get to chapter 3, where it supposedly "gets good"). I was having SUCH a good time with it and, yes, I am having an even better time with it now.

I think I'm not alone in saying that I'm utterly baffled by some statements in a lot of reviews. it's your prerogative to not like the game, but if you're reviewing games as a job and you refuse to engage with a game on its own terms, you are doing both yourself and your readers a disservice.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
I'm wondering if all the haters actually played the game, I like Jim and respect his opinion, too bad he didn't like it, but a lot of people are enjoying it, why are the haters feeling the need to shit on their enjoyment?, it's a fun game with a great story and world, just let it be.

I meant the story, the gameplay loop was great throughout the entire game, it gets good reviews because it's a good game, did you even play it before shitting on it?

I'm not sure if it's a language barrier issue, but how does anything I said resolve into 'shitting on it'?

When you start talking about 'haters' instead of critics, it's clear you're not here for constructive discussion.

dbcyber

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Not sure why the addition of Mules, Timefall and BT's is just 'getting in the way' of the core gameplay. These setbacks just make the core gameplay all the more rewarding, knowing you fought through hell to deliver the cargo and still getting an S rank.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
I'm wondering if all the haters actually played the game, I like Jim and respect his opinion, too bad he didn't like it, but a lot of people are enjoying it, why are the haters feeling the need to shit on their enjoyment?, it's a fun game with a great story and world, just let it be.

I started the game liking it but ended up not liking it partway through chapter 3. I don't think the whole BTs thing is very well implemented. Deliveries are not varied . Mule seems to be an after thought just add some normal action in the game.

the most fun is just to ignore the game all together and run around building roads and ladder paths.

DodgeAnon

Oct 25, 2017
The thing is, the main interaction you have with the very limited gameplay, is with the terrain, and it's about as janky and messy as it was back in Skyrim when you used to brute force your horse up the side of a mountain. The gameplay is not even that engaging or believable when your trike/truck constantly bumbles and janks into boulders with the same experience and feel as you'd get crashing your car into invisible walls and barriers in an arcade racer over and over again.

That's even without mentioning the combat and gunplay, which is about as subpar as you can get.

As the years go on, I think people will look back on DS and think what a colossal waste of everyone's time it was.

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
The thing is, the main interaction you have with the very limited gameplay, is with the terrain, and it's about as janky and messy as it was back in Skyrim when you used to brute force your horse up the side of a mountain. The gameplay is not even that engaging or believable when your trike/truck constantly bumbles and janks into boulders with the same experience and feel as you'd get crashing your car into invisible walls and barriers in an arcade racer over and over again.

That's even without mentioning the combat and gunplay, which is about as subpar as you can get.

As the years go on, I think people will look back on DS and think what a colossal waste of everyone's time it was.
People still delude themselves into thinking MGSIV was good so don't count on that.

DodgeAnon

Oct 25, 2017
People still delude themselves into thinking MGSIV was good so don't count on that.

True, but I feel that's because they have invested so much time into that franchise over the course of 5+ games, so they feel obligated to enjoy whatever has the MGS name attached.

This is much different I feel, it won't be remembered fondly at all when the novelty wears off in a few years or so.

s0l0kill

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I started the game liking it but ended up not liking it partway through chapter 3. I don't think the whole BTs thing is very well implemented. Deliveries are not varied . Mule seems to be an after thought just add some normal action in the game.

the most fun is just to ignore the game all together and run around building roads and ladder paths.
I'd encourage you to just move along as the story really opens up not far from where you are as well as getting upgrades that'll make your life easier, but if constructing roads and things is your jam, why the hell not, I finished the game and I still go back and build things for other people to use, it's very rewarding :)

s0l0kill

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure if it's a language barrier issue, but how does anything I said resolve into 'shitting on it'?

When you start talking about 'haters' instead of critics, it's clear you're not here for constructive discussion.
I'm not talking about critics, I'm talking about people who didn't play it or have any intention to that just enjoy telling people the game is bad when they're actively enjoying it, and I think the shitting on it part wasn't to you, sorry.

BigHatPaul

May 28, 2019
In the first two minutes Jim already said everything that I could have wanted to say about this game without even touching it.

Demption

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah this game's gameplayloop feels satisfying to me. I have a feeling it will have annoying and tedious parts but im really looking forward to playing through this. Don't really get all the hate. Play the games before u make ur mind. I was also hesitant after the reviews but sometimes u have to find out for yourself.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
If anyone has seen my comments on the game, you'll know I've been real critical of it, but after getting through what I assume is most of chapter 3, I really have had a turnaround. Now there are def some frustrating things with the game, and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, but if you can get over the hump I do think there's enjoyment to be found with it.

Feb 21, 2019
I don't get these sentiments. Not all of us have comfortable level of disposable income to spend sixty bucks just to 'play these games for ourselves', which is why it is valuable to see other people's opinions about it to gauge the game's compatibility with our interest.

'Don't listen to reviewers, just play the game yourself!', yeah well, can you give 60 bucks to anyone you're saying that to?
The answer lies in the middle, right? Now, you can see the gameplay, hear impressions from non-reviewers, read up about what the game is about, see if there are performance issues....really, if you can't tell if there is a good chance you will like a game from all of the information available without someone flat out telling you...then I don't know what to tell you.

From a pre-order perspective, yeah, you may have a point.