• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The option that allows you to pay extra to shorten the length of the game should not exist in the first place, even if the grind is justified or adds to the overall experience of the game. That is greedy and I don't know how else to look at it.

Let's be honest, we have had many cheats in the past to quickly play through titles.Then they started charging money to give players the ability to help them quickly finish the game. That in itself is something we can debate but purposely making the game feel like a grind, especially if it's not fun, and then having the ability to pay to skip the grind is not very ethical. HOWEVER, can the argument be made that many games in the past like RPG's also have a lot of grind built in them to pad the length of the game? So I guess that's ok because the temptation to get more money out of the player is now a non-factor and it's just a grind of a game.

flaxknuckles

Oct 25, 2017
I've never been happy about publishers selling what used to be cheat codes and console commands but this argument about the game being grindy is a load of crap. I've been playing the game on hard for 15+ hours and didn't feel the need to buy an xp boost to level up and didn't even notice the store tab until I saw this thread. I haven't even leveled up or modified any of my weapons and I'm doing just fine killing enemies and going through the main story without doing all the side quests.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Think people are
A)Vastly overestimating how much the booster affects level gain
B)Vastly over speculating about how and when it was implemented during development let alone who the target audience is, (i.e. not the average person who'd purchase the game)

Like with many things concerning game development, watching era talk about how "oh the game is fine tuned around MTs" is pretty cringeworthy.

Yeah I agree. After reading everything throughout the day and dipping in and out of conversation myself, I don't see either side of the conversation reaching an agreement. I'm still on the side against microtransactions that boost player level or power, because regardless of it's implementation there will always be the question if numbers were tweaked in the back of my mind. What's pretty interesting to me is that when it comes to mtx for power ups in Single player vs. Multiplayer games, people take really different stances. Obviously they feel less affected by them when it's in a single player title because they can ignore it while others are free to buy em. However what some people aren't realizing is that the people buying them are shaping the way future games will be made, which in turn could effect their single player experiences in future installments of the franchise. My other personal issue is that it can be seen as a predatory practice, and I can't help but see people in the AC:Odyssey main thread question if they should just spend another $10 when they've already spent over $100 on the game. Ubisoft knows what they're doing when including these options into their games. But overall, regardless if this specific Assassins Creed is balanced for players who will NOT spend extra money to get ahead, the existence of the mtx means some developers discussed their inclusion and everyone better hope they added it without adjusting numbers. We have to put a lot of faith into the designers original choices and that they weren't influenced by dollar signs.

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California
Doesn't go into specific details. See Nome's conveniently ignored posts about how things actually work in a game like this that has an extra revenue source. If you're arguing things like this:

Then you don't know how titles like this get monetized and sound ridiculous.

So you aren't going to contribute anything to the conversation and are just going to do snarky little posts against people who have an issue with MTX in games? I've given my side but you just say "no u, lol" in response. If all you have to offer is "Here's this OTHER post from someone else that's really good" then what's your point in posting?

Will this criticism of MTX and shortcuts also take place on RDR 2?

A look at the different versions shows that there will be gameplay and money boosts for the story mode. Of course, the various boosts are also available for multiplayer mode.

Where were Jim Sterling and Polygon when it became known that the Ultimate Edition of RDR 2 has exclusive story content?

It's obvious where the sympathies lie.

I don't like Rockstar's games or their shitty business practices so you can bet your corporate-defending butt I'll be making you upset when that game comes out and many other will as well. Brand loyalty is fucking stupid.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've never been happy about publishers selling what used to be cheat codes and console commands but this argument about the game being grindy is a load of crap. I've been playing the game on hard for 15+ hours and didn't feel the need to buy an xp boost to level up and didn't even notice the store tab until I saw this thread. I haven't even leveled up or modified any of my weapons and I'm doing just fine killing enemies and going through the main story without doing all the side quests.

It's so hard to tell who is telling the truth without actually playing it for themselves. The internet is a bloodbath of negativity and as people hear the word micro-transactions the daggers come out. Even Jim Sterling ignores games cost more to make yet argues that they should stay the same and not have any other cost to the consumer unless it's DLC added. On the flipside developers can be greedy and will take advantage. I like Jim Sterling but at times he embellishes things for attention, yet at the same time I want to be informed this shit is going on.

Roy

Oct 27, 2017
For starters, we get games not going up in price in nearly 13 years. You can't say the same about most other forms of entertainment. I like the irony btw that you attack Ubi and then go on to defend Jim for being lazy by recycling the same shtick video content over and over because doing proper reviews was too much work.
Prices did go up in Canada around 4 years ago for games and they still beat us over the head with microtransactions.

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
PLEASE STOP MAKING STATEMENTS ABOUT MONETIZATION IN GAMES IF YOU DON'T KNOW HOW IT'S IMPLEMENTED
And ignored for spam. Sorry.
Regarding this topic: Why don't they offer a free xp boost / "I don't have much time and want to play the story" mode? Why can't I unlock every armor set and mount the developers made by playing the game? Nobody needs MTX in single player games. Of course people want to have the shiny unicorn and the badass armor, but it would be so much nicer if one could obtain these without spending additional money.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I agree. After reading everything throughout the day and dipping in and out of conversation myself, I don't see either side of the conversation reaching an agreement. I'm still on the side against microtransactions that boost player level or power, because regardless of it's implementation there will always be the question if numbers were tweaked in the back of my mind. What's pretty interesting to me is that when it comes to mtx for power ups in Single player vs. Multiplayer games, people take really different stances. Obviously they feel less affected by them when it's in a single player title because they can ignore it while others are free to buy em. However what some people aren't realizing is that the people buying them are shaping the way future games will be made, which in turn could effect their single player experiences in future installments of the franchise. My other personal issue is that it can be seen as a predatory practice, and I can't help but see people in the AC:Odyssey main thread question if they should just spend another $10 when they've already spent over $100 on the game. Ubisoft knows what they're doing when including these options into their games. But overall, regardless if this specific Assassins Creed is balanced for players who will NOT spend extra money to get ahead, the existence of the mtx means some developers discussed their inclusion and everyone better hope they added it without adjusting numbers. We have to put a lot of faith into the designers original choices and that they weren't influenced by dollar signs.
I understand the anxiety that things will just get worse based on the fact that in worse case scenarios other studios have gotten worse when it comes to the implementation of microtransactions but Ubi is one of the better examples of how to do it. When we're talking half a decade worth of nonintrusive MT options the "it'll get worse" thing starts to feel really hollow.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
As a big fan of grinding I don't think they'll really be applicable.
Well, if there's not enough of it then.
I understand the anxiety that things will just get worse based on the fact that in worse case scenarios other studios have gotten worse when it comes to the implementation of microtransactions but Ubi is one of the better examples of how to do it. When we're talking half a decade worth of nonintrusive MT options the "it'll get worse" thing starts to feel really hollow.
Those For Honor loot boxes though. Which aren't even just cosmetics but apply stats in the 4vs4 game modes (disabled in duels and duos which is nice). And the stats balance was really borked at the start too, giving huge advantage to people with certain stats like revenge. Not sure if they've changed it somehow, they fixed the revenge stat atleast. Generally I would agree based on my experience though.

Last edited:

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Prices did go up in Canada around 4 years ago for games and they still beat us over the head with microtransactions.

So did the hardware, it's called currency conversion. When the Cdn. dollar hovers around 78 cents to that of the USA do you honestly think retailers should be charging the same?

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Obviously they don't. It's pretty key to your ability to be outraged over something like this, to have actually, y'know, seen what the progression is like without it.
I believe the discussion of that particular poster was simply that the xp booster exists and makes you level up faster. So they know what they're referencing. You don't need to see what it's like with or without it unless this entire thing is a placebo and the xp booster actually does nothing.

Rezbit

Oct 26, 2017
What if there was a mode where all skills and the entire map was unlocked and you could just play it true open world style? I'd be into that. Unfortunately I don't really dig the level gating as I just don't have time to spend in a mega RPG. I know the game is designed to be played as-is but it kinda sucks to charge 10 bucks if some of us time-poor gamers want to speed the levelling up.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
So you aren't going to contribute anything to the conversation and are just going to do snarky little posts against people who have an issue with MTX in games?
I have more posts ITT that outlined how things like this worked. If the only thing you can do is speculate about design in a way that indicates "I don't know much about design or even this game but disagree with a recurring revenue source on principal." then why should you be taken seriously?

If all you have to offer is "Here's this OTHER post from someone else that's really good" then what's your point in posting?
Hours beforehand I literally said almost verbatim what that person multiple times, in multiple threads no less, but please keep telling me that I haven't contributed. lmao.

This is because of the currency in Canada going down in worth.

And ignored for spam. Sorry.
K

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017

Yeah I see your point. Ubisoft has had a pretty good track record in comparison to , for example , EA.

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California
I have more posts ITT that outlined how things like this worked. If the only thing you can do is speculate about design in a way that indicates "I don't know much about design or even this game but disagree with a recurring revenue source on principal." then why should you be taken seriously?

Hours beforehand I literally said almost verbatim what that person multiple times, in multiple threads no less, but please keep telling me that I haven't contributed. lmao.

1. You still haven't even attempted to make a counter argument to my criticisms besides "Well, you're wrong, dumbo" so why should I take you seriously? Especially when you type in ALL CAPS with the largest font like a child screaming for attention? I've never used the ignore function on this site but you're making that feature feel awfully tempting.

2. Why did you reference that guy's post instead of using your own instead if you already covered everything they said?

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
You still haven't even attempted to make a counter argument to my criticisms
"The game was designed around MTs" isn't a valid criticism sorry. When you type stuff this:

Ubisoft themselves, as well as many 3rd Party companies, have already giving us proof in past titles that the rate that XP/Money/whatever is gained in a game is purposefully designed to go hand-in-hand with MTX options. These companies continue to show that they are willing to worsen a game in order to get more money from people.
adding MTX to a game will, by default, affect how the game is designed.
The only reason a "shortcut" exists, is because there's a "problem" that the "shortcut" is designed to workaround. If your game is so fun, and the side content is so entertaining, no one would consider the XP shortcut to be an actual shortcut.

Then you might as well type the following:

I don't know how a title like this is monetized and i'm using my pure speculation as gospel fact. I take issue with monetization in general so PLS let me ignore context.

Why did you reference that guy's post instead of using your own instead if you already covered everything they said?
Because they say it in a nicer way than I have and were in closer proximity. Love how you keep ignoring the content of those posts btw and seemingly have no retort to them.

See, this is why people who haven't played the game aren't really qualified to talk about the game.

When you buy an item its drops at your current level. At the rate you gain XP by just playing the game, the items become useless after 1 or 2 levels.
And you'd quickly find that it's not really feasible to keep upgrading them to your level due to the expense of upgrading legendary items vs all the other crucial upgrades.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
Two things that can be true.

A) Ubisoft shouldn't be selling XP boosts, because it can be predatory.

B) Odyssey's leveling as it stands, isn't grindy.

A, sure. B is the statement I'm making. There's nothing in Odyssey that's any different than other RPGs I've played recently (Octopath, DQ 11, etc). I'm sympathetic to those who enjoyed pre-Origins Assassin's Creed (which is SG-17's issue, in their own words), which were mostly linear action games, but this is clearly and has been marketed as, a full-fledged RPG, and should be treated as such. You run into issues with my disagreement when you try to tie A to B, or B's counter argument.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017

tenor.gif

Keyframe

Oct 29, 2017
I don't think Jim is wrong in this. Currently I am lvl 26 and the next story mission is lvl 32 or something. That is a fucking grind.

Liquid Snake

Nov 10, 2017
Personally, I really felt the grind in Origins. It felt to me like a really good 15 hour game spread out over 50. When you have a game so huge and just littered with content, it can be hard for the game to maintain a soul. I also felt a very strong draw to purchase ability points and crafting materials to save time in Origins — none of that was an accident.

I think Ubisoft would've been better served increasing XP gain on the lower difficulties (to make it accessible for people who wanted to see the story to skip side content) instead of charging for increased progression.

People can argue and throw fits about how great and just and pure Ubisoft is, but we should face facts — the end user never benefits from a game featuring microtransactions in a full priced, $60 retail title.

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

A, sure. B is the statement I'm making. There's nothing in Odyssey that's any different than other RPGs I've played recently (Octopath, DQ 11, etc). I'm sympathetic to those who enjoyed pre-Origins Assassin's Creed (which is SG-17's issue, in their own words), which were mostly linear action games, but this is clearly and has been marketed as, a full-fledged RPG, and should be treated as such. You run into issues with my disagreement when you try to tie A to B, or B's counter argument.
Same experience and I am even playing it again now.

Oct 27, 2017
If you hate microtransactions in general, that's one thing but the XP booster doesn't really alleviate much of the "grind" (however you choose to define that)

The game gives you various ways to get very generous amounts of XP such as passive contracts (kill X amount of enemies, clear X amount of forts, etc), clearing forts/bandit camps and engaging in conquest battles not to mention main story quests and side quests. Conquest battles grant you a ton of XP and loot. If you were so inclined you could literally grind out these conquest battles as you can infinitely manipulate when they happen and what the outcome will be. You could sit there for 30 hours just engaging in this one aspect of the game to power level to the max and get tons of XP and skill points but it wouldn't make much sense because a high level in and of itself isn't enough to let you seamlessly bee-line through the story anyway due to the fact that 1) the world scales with your character (i.e. you're always going to face some sort of relative challenge) and 2) the skill tree is designed where in order to get the most out of it, you have to engage in some of the side content that the game presents. As such an XP booster, in and of itself, is not going to help you in any of these two regards.

Legendaries also don't hold the weight that people seem to think it does. Legendary gear is generally denoted by how many stat buffs it comes equipped with; Not it's level or DPS. As such, a level 9 legendary sword doesn't mean anything next to a basic level 20 sword. So you can't just "buy the best legendaries"

The game seems designed around wanting you to see and do various things more so than letting you "skip the grind" with microtransactions

ChrisJSY

Oct 29, 2017
I hate that feeling that the game's pace is partially centered around being able to buy these items, so even if I don't buy them (which I never will) it's still punishing my time.
Of course you'll get those who say it's really not much time, but I've played enough of AC:O to say it's a tough one to get through on my schedule with time alone.

Deleted member 1698

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Personally, I really felt the grind in Origins. It felt to me like a really good 15 hour game spread out over 50. When you have a game so huge and just littered with content, it can be hard for the game to maintain a soul. I also felt a very strong draw to purchase ability points and crafting materials to save time in Origins — none of that was an accident.

I think that is all probably true...but is that any different to the other Assassins Creed games?

TheDarkKnight

Oct 25, 2017
I hate that feeling that the game's pace is partially centered around being able to buy these items, so even if I don't buy them (which I never will) it's still punishing my time.
Of course you'll get those who say it's really not much time, but I've played enough of AC:O to say it's a tough one to get through on my schedule with time alone.
I'd argue it's less about nudging you to MTx and more SP games needing to created super long sp games to not get backlash criticism or people wanting to "their money's worth" for game w/o multiplayer. You see this same thing for games w/o mtx based level boosting.

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California
"The game was designed around MTs" isn't a valid criticism sorry. When you type stuff this:

Then you might as well type the following:

Because they say it in a nicer way than I have and were in closer proximity. Love how you keep ignoring the content of those posts btw and seemingly have no retort to them

Same, especially because you still haven't explained how anything I've posted has devalued my main complaints here.

1. MTX, by default, affect how a game is designed since they are either conceived early on, or later into development. One of two things happen. If the MTX is added in early, the devs will try to find a way to make the MTX worth purchasing. If the MTX is added late, it will be due to an aspect of the game some may not like (grinding), and the company using it as an excuse for their "workaround" that just so happens to cost money.

2. MTX is an anti-consumer practice that takes advantage of specific kinds of people and is completely unacceptable in a full-priced $60 game, especially single player.

3. Some people who arep laying the game are actually complaining about the grinding. There's some people even in this thread, so it is a factor, whether it bothers you or not.

4. There's no reason to go to bat for Ubisoft, or anything other corporation, when they implement anti-consumer practices into their products. Why defend them?

I'll just leave it at that since your attitude is the most insufferable I've seen on here in a while and I think I've more than made my points clear, so you'll be the first on my ignore list.

Vicious17

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
...the real funny thing out of all of this controversy is that no one has commented on the return of the Loot Box NPC from Origins.
The amount of Epics/Legendaries you get from normal play in Odyssey is much higher than Origins, making the NPC completely pointless.

Shhh don't tell them that! Cleary its rigged to make you want to buy more mtx!

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
What wrong with you?
I'm very done with people talking out of their ass in general today. For example, someone typed this unironically:

One of two things happen. If the MTX is added in early, the devs will try to find a way to make the MTX worth purchasing. If the MTX is added late, it will be due to an aspect of the game some may not like
This statement is wrong. The first is wrong as well but the second statement is you talking out of your ass. I implore you to stop doing that.

MTX is an anti-consumer practice that takes advantage of specific kinds of people and is completely unacceptable in a full-priced $60 game, especially single player.
There's nothing inherently wrong with a dev having a recurring revenue source. It depends on context and implementation.

Some people who arep laying the game are actually complaining about the grinding. There's some people even in this thread, so it is a factor, whether it bothers you or not.
More people say that the gam's progression is fine. Eventually you'll see that those people have an issue with the core gameplay loop in general, hence "playing the game" being described as "grinding."

There's no reason to go to bat for Ubisoft
Ubisoft has been one of the most consistent when it comes to non-inrusive MT implementation in their games, ESPECIALLY AC as again, we're talking half a decade's worth of games. Most people don't even realize that they're there.

I think I've more than made my points clear,
Please continue to double down on ignorance when literal dev, it's a bold strat cotton.

Retromelon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How does this guy make the same video every month for 8 years? A triple a game has bad monetization practices, we get it. What a fucking bore

Septy

Prophet of Truth
Nov 29, 2017
United States
Holy fuck they have got to fix upgrading. I'm level 20 trying to level up my 15 gear. I had over 900 of each resources and 35000 coin and I was able to upgrade two pieces before I ran out of resources and now I'm down to 20000 coin. This is fucking ridiculous I spent the whole day collecting these resources.

Vicious17

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
How does this guy make the same video every month for 8 years? A triple a game has bad monetization practices, we get it. What a fucking bore

Welcome to the world of being a "youtube personality" I guess? This is his "thing" and people eat that shit up.

He's right most times, mind you, but like you said he's regurgitating the same shit over and over.

~Fake

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm very done with people talking out of their ass in general today.
Thats fine. I pretty much done with people on the Digital Foundry threads too. If they just want to run in circles, leave be. This things happens. Just don't push yourself too much. I hate this monetization too, BUT I open to discussion anytime.

StormEagle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
For starters, we get games not going up in price in nearly 13 years. You can't say the same about most other forms of entertainment. I like the irony btw that you attack Ubi and then go on to defend Jim for being lazy by recycling the same shtick video content over and over because doing proper reviews was too much work.

This is because of the currency in Canada going down in worth.
Prices for PC games did go up. Were around 40€ late 90s, 40-45€ in 2000 (prices translated to modern currency for comparison), 60€ now. (pretty sure 50€ last gen, but I am not completely sure about that)
Also, 60 is only the starter price. The real price for comparison of Odyssey should be the Gold Edition as it has release content that is not in the starter edition.
So prices did go up without currency falling compared to US$.

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I agree, on both.

And not only is not there anything different than other RPGs but there is nothing different between Odyssey and Origins. Which kinda makes it hilarious that Jim had no problems with the leveling and microtransactions in Origins but suddenly thinks Odyssey is absolute shit and that the game is made to force to to buy MTX. Either he was full of it then or he's full of it now, but you can't have it both ways.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Thats fine. I pretty much done with people on the Digital Foundry threads too. If they just want to run in circles, leave be. This things happens. Just don't push yourself too much. I hate this monetization too, BUT I open to discussion anytime.
Not pushing myself at all. I'm more open to discussion when said discussion has people in it who actually know what they're talking about. Like when you explain how things work and a person doubles down on their ignorance and proceeds to make even stupider statements it's just bleh.

Prices for PC games did go up. Were around 40€ late 90s, 40-45€ in 2000 (prices translated to modern currency for comparison), 60€ now. (pretty sure 50€ last gen, but I am not completely sure about that)
Also, 60 is only the starter price. The real price for comparison of Odyssey should be the Gold Edition as it has release content that is not in the starter edition.
So prices did go up without currency falling compared to US$.
I mean yea $60 these days usually is a starting price as games are more of a platform than a static release.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
You should be asking why companies continue to do this instead.

I cant believe some people are actually annoyed he keep pointing crap like this out like really?

Last edited:

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Because with a title like this it makes them a ton of money while not hindering the design of a game and actually functioning well with some of the design goals, like increased player retention compared to earlier titles in the series as the game is intended to be supported over a long period of time. Now, considering those factors, what incentive does a publisher like Ubisoft have not to implement the systems after half a decade of including them.

Last edited:

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California

I cant believe some peoepl are actually annoyed he keep pointing crap like this out like really?

It's so baffling. Instead of complaining about the disgusting anti-consumer practices, they complain about someone who spends a lot of time covering them...

If more people actually called this shit out we this industry could have been in a slightly better place. Instead, we get people getting mad and defending the corporations as if Ubisoft/EA/whatever is their fucking brother.