• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The last DMC games I owned were 1~3, I never really got into 4, nor the DMC game (reboot). If DMCV is stuffed with MTs when the prior entries weren't, then yeah, that's really shitty. Especially if it's "pay for power" upgrades. My stance doesn't change depending on the game or whether I like it.

I've also agreed many times some games are far worse than others with their implementations, but the second any game (well, especially $60+ ones) offers an ability to pay for power I think that's out of line, even if the game is fairly well balanced.
But...odyssey doesn't let you pay for power. It lets you pay to have to do less content to get through the story. Stuff scales with you (and if you're going 'above' the intended level, you rEALLY didn't need it cause it means you're doing a lot of shit anyway).

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But...odyssey doesn't let you pay for power. It lets you pay to have to do less content to get through the story. Stuff scales with you (and if you're going 'above' the intended level, you rEALLY didn't need it cause it means you're doing a lot of shit anyway).

Paying for boosters for stuff like XP or being able to max out on crafting materials is what I consider "power". Its gameplay affecting.

MTs that are cosmetic, are, well, cosmetic.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Paying for boosters for stuff like XP or being able to max out on crafting materials is what I consider "power". Its gameplay affecting.

MTs that are cosmetic, are, well, cosmetic.
It's not power, though.

Would you consider paying an MTX in Chrono Trigger to skip one dungeon you don't care for, to be 'power' ? I'm not saying I want them to put that in, but it doesn't degrade the experience if they did.

The notion of player power in a single player game is ridiculous in this context to begin with, but when you're conflating 'saving' time with power, you've lost the plot. If someone else opts to pay to skip parts of the game, and thus play it less than me, it has 0 effect on me. It's an MTX for the kind of person that normally doens't finish the game at all to MAYBE finish it. Most people don't finish games, those people don't affect me either. People paying to avoid it are still getting a lesser experience than me by consuming less of the product.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Not sure if it has been mentioned but I just saw in the OT a comparison of the exp you get on different difficulties. For the same quest, if you play on easy, you get about half the exp compared to what to what you would get for playing on Normal. I wonder if those who complained about exp problems play on easy and are actually getting nerfed by that.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Jim responds to that game journalist from twitter, and people defending MTX with things like, "it doesn't effect me, it doesn't effect anyone."

Also apparently Ubisoft changed the exp curve to make grinding less likely with a recent patch. Not sure how true it is.

Roy

Oct 27, 2017
Uh what. I like Jim. I find him funny, he's often right and his social justice stance is very much admirable.
Until recently, I was a subscriber of his channel.

What I take offense to is blatant lies, I honestly thought he was above that. But that still doesn't mean I hate him, I'm just disappointed.
What lies?

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Jim responds to that game journalist from twitter, and people defending MTX with things like, "it doesn't effect me, it doesn't effect anyone."

Also apparently Ubisoft changed the exp curve to make grinding less likely with a recent patch. Not sure how true it is.

great vid by jim. these kinda vids are the main reason why i'm subbed to him on youtube.

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017
That you need to grind in Odyssey. I'm 35 hours in and I'm massively overleveled for the story quests for at least the last 20 hours (by 8 levels or more).
And I'm only doing the proper side quests, none of the radial/busywork stuff, plus some fairly light exploration.

I thought story levels are always at least 2 levels below yours at their lowest. At least on normal thats been my experience.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Between sequence 6 and 7 there's a leap of 5-6 levels in the main story requirements. I was level 26 suddenly the next story quest was 31. Up until then I didn't have any issues just playing naturally with a mixture of forts, side quests and main quests.

That said I went just went to one of the (many) optional islands I hadn't done yet and had a great time there levelling up to 30 in about 3 hours.