• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jorgeobamajr

Oct 25, 2017
...for some reason this didn't appear in my subscriptions? This is my first time falling victim to the youtube notification bell ;-;
Anyway, halloween episode! That intro already made the whole thing worth it.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have not thought about how truly sad it will be never to have another Dead Space. Damn.

Let's be real, its probably for the best. We got 2 great games and a 3rd good one. They probably would've deviated more from survival horror and become more blockbuster action oriented games filled to the brim with DLC, micro transactions, and loot boxes.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Crazy how this series went from unknown to cult hit to triple-A with side games and movies to micro-transaction cash grab, failure, IP abandonment and studio closure within what seems like just a few years. Such a shame. I loved the first game especially and the plot was genuinely interesting and could have supported a proper movie big-budget movie IMO.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Just started playing Dead Space for the first time two nights ago. Already in love with it. Sucks this franchise is probably dead because they really got something here.

I have the second one ready to play after but not sure if I should get the third with all of the BS I've heard about it.

Deleted member 9207

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Dead Space wasn't a cult hit. It was a genuinely shining gem among horror games.

I said it elsewhere: EA mastered alchemy and turns gold into lead.

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I hope so, I have always enjoyed that he interacted on the other site, and while I follow him and sometimes comment on Facebook the comment chains are not as easy to follow as a forum thread and he is less likely to interact.

As for the topic at hand all I can say is it's a shame what happened to Dead Space, but not really a surprise considering it's EA.

JetSetSoul

Oct 28, 2017
Let's be real, its probably for the best. We got 2 great games and a 3rd good one. They probably would've deviated more from survival horror and become more blockbuster action oriented games filled to the brim with DLC, micro transactions, and loot boxes.
Feel ill thinking about all that reboot potential but Dead Space burnt bright and fast and self-extinguished.

OP
OP
The_Strokes

The_Strokes

Oct 25, 2017
México
I agree in a way. Current ecosystem really stacks the odds against single player games that are linear, everyone's just obsessed with loot based, open worlds and multiplayer experiences from which they can draw more bang for their buck.

I don't think he is, hopefully he sees Era as a better less toxic space than that other place and comes back

Deleted member 9207

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There's a Jim Sterling here but has never posted anything so there's no way of knowing if it's him.

I wonder what EA plans to do with the IP. Wait a few years and reboot it?

Oct 28, 2017
Beerse, Belgium
if Dead Space 3 were a big succes, they would churn out sequels like crazy that would most certainly move further away from what made the first 2 so great

so in some sense, it's good that we now have a series with 2 classics and 1 decent-to-good game that's more action-oriented

and who knows, maybe after a couple of years, they try a reboot, hopefully not forgetting to notice why the first 2 were so great

Oct 25, 2017
Noir York City
Great listen. Dead Space and Dead Space 2 are highlights of last gen for me. I understand that Visceral's Star Wars game wasn't doing well and I'm less upset about it's cancellation than before. But I'm still lamenting the loss of the Dead Space franchise.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

Dead Space Extraction was really good too for a spinoff. I think it was included free with Dead Space 2 limited edition

ThereAre4Lights

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Dead Space was one of those games where everything simply clicked - controls, story, graphics, sound design, music. I'd dismember for a trilogy remaster.

RoboitoAM

Oct 25, 2017
Jim Sterling seems to be on this board btw

Unless someone is trolling and stole his name. I'll watch this at home in a few hours but man I miss dead space.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
what EA never said out loud was that Dead Space 3 selling 5 million copies wouldn't have stopped the intrusion of extra money making schemes in future installments. Its the opposite in fact, the game being in the hands of 5 million gamers would simply be the starting point of the real "fun".

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
There is a Jim Sterling registered on Era, not sure if it's the real one or not.
I remember one Resetera admin saying the tech behind the forum allows for some Twitter-like verification for public personalities. Maybe Jim should contact them to get his.

Dynamite Cop

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
Dead Space was the only game in the series I enjoyed. I didn't like the overused, cliche hallucinations/ appearances in DS2 by Issac's girlfriend or wife? Had some nice death scenes, though.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
The whole handling of Dead Space is a sad, cautionary, tale. Two games that a lot of people hold dear because of how well made they were. I'm not a massive horror fan, but loved the first game and had a great time with the 2nd for the reasons Jim said - Event Horizon. Really had those vibes.

Then they ruined it by that nonsense design by committee stuff a lot of developers/publishers had going on.Coop everything, online everything, DLC everything. Never even played the third because of how much it looked like Gears of Dead Space.

Overall, I think it's a shame that EA had one of the only horror games I've ever really enjoyed right there and ruined it within two games.