• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

An excerpt from the Empire magazine.
sfkzdb3z1qp31.jpg

giphy.gif

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I love how everyone is just glueing recycled shit onto the original trilogy rather than bringing anything new to the table. Truly a cursed franchise.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
As long as they have an explanation for how he was resurrected after being exploded, it's fine. But knowing JJ they will just ignore it.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
They could easily go south with this but I don't mind setting Palpatine up as the ultra-mega-bad guy of the entire series.

If Lucas had taken a different direction with the prequels, then sure, but as it stands Palpatine already occupies that role in six of the nine movies (arguably five since he's never directly referenced in A New Hope, but still - Tarkin is never assumed to be the head of the Empire, and Vader is treated as a mercenary in that film). Bringing him into the mix gives the sequel trilogy a stronger place within the context of not only the OT but the prequels as well, which up until now have mostly been ignored.

I dunno, I'm excited. If it sucks, it's not like the Star Wars series hasn't had bad movies in it before.

DemonCarnotaur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
After TLJ, I feel like this final 'trilogy' should have opted to do 4 films, closing the Skywalker Saga with X

It just feels weird. Man do I dislike TLJs choices in the greater context of the saga and trilogy. Everything feels so small, and IX is going to do some wonky stuff outta nowhere to reignite that scale and mythos

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
After JJ and Rian so gleefully shit on the legacy of the OT, it's weird that he's suddenly like PALPATINE YA'LL, ISN'T THIS GREAT.

SweetVermouth

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
As long as they have an explanation for how he was resurrected after being exploded, it's fine.
Plot twist:
Palpatine never died. When he fell down the shaft Palpatine from the future appeared through time travel and saved himself. Then he teaches his younger self how to hide, build an army of star destroyers and use Snoke as puppet.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
imagine being so intellectually bankrupt that you can't understand the continuity of ideas in a work beyond literal characters and plot elements

this is like saying "look, Death Stars were a big thing in the original trilogy, so we HAD to have more Death Stars"
This is like those AIs that you feed old scripts into to get a new one.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
God, this is going to happen.
Certainly a way to finish this in a bad way.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
i dont believe him for a second that this film is the conclusion to 8 movies of set-up

i dont even believe that the trilogy itself has been building to this, the ST has felt like little more than wheelspinning in the grand scheme of star wars to me

feels like a colossal ass pull to drum up interest, and if this is what they had planned and it was supposed to feel completely organic and cohesive, they seemed to have royally fucked it up

Last edited:

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Could have actually bothered to make Snoke more of a thing that you made but sure, lets just dig up Palpatine again.

I like the new films (particularly the new characters) but really wish they actually felt like they were moving the series forward with new ideas rather than being a nostalgia ride.

Meet The Resistance, same as the Rebellion. They fight The First Order, same as The Empire..

Ignis

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like this is all for the sake of pushing buzz and the actual result will be a stupid flashback.

"L-Lord Sidious..?" Rey stuttered as she walked into the New Death Star Chamber.

Darth Sidious spun around in his chair, much like a Bond villain would in the films, "Yes, Rey?"

The girl looked around the office, trying her best to avoid the Sith's crushing gaze, "We have a problem..."

As Rey accompanied the Sith towards the meeting, she explained what was observed worldwide.

Fumbling through several papers in this binder she had, Rey attempted to explain the situation. "You see, Master, we have had multiple reported sightings of a strange creature wreaking havoc throughout multiple cities. It appears to be looking for something, we've sent out Squads A, B, C, and D, but nobody has been able to subdue the creature, with words or force."

The Master seemed rather unnerved by this information, he was simply waving to the people he passed, and even exchanged a quick handshake with a particular Bounty Hunter.

Rey continued, "The creature has been seen in East and West Cities, oddly enough it can't seem to hurt people, but it is able to destroy anything mechanical. Squad C lost the creature before bringing us this information. We fear that it may be getting stronger."

Darth Sidious still was taking a pleasant stroll throughout the Death Star, just smiling and waving as he went by. "Understood, anything else?"

The Master was a titan of charisma, Rey was sure of it now. "It's getting stronger by the day, and we are tempted to send out Squad N in order to deal with it."

He stopped, Rey almost tripped before noticing that he had done so, "Squad N will be unable to do anything to the creature. Send Squad S."

Rey failed to hide her surprise, "S-Squad S? Why them... Why him...? They wouldn't be able to do anything to the Creature is Squad N couldn't do it! The monster's power source--"

Master Sidious chuckled, "You mean the Chaos Emeralds? That's exactly why we need him." And he continued walking.

Rahfiki

Oct 28, 2017
Plot twist:
Palpatine never died. When he fell down the shaft Palpatine from the future appeared through time travel and saved himself. Then he teaches his younger self how to hide, build an army of star destroyers and use Snoke as puppet.
I hate the fact that in 2019 I could see this actually being the plot of a Star Wars film wow

Why couldn't we just have Jacen and Jaina?

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's Sheev, bro. Call him by the right name.

I personally don't care about Star Wars, but Im looking forward to this solely because the memes are going to be so good.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
Could have actually bothered to make Snoke more of a thing that you made but sure, lets just dig up Palpatine again.

I like the new films (particularly the new characters) but really wish they actually felt like they were moving the series forward rather than being a nostalgia ride.

Meet The Resistance, same as the Rebellion. They fight The First Order, same as The Empire..

I think they are going to get this trilogy out of the way and then truly take the films forward into new areas, I get the feeling that they know they relied too heavily on the OT for ideas so far. Nostalgia based content will be restricted to TV from now on.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Maybe if they hinted to it for either of the last two films it would have made sense. Instead, we had Snoke, who doesn't fit in to the story now at all with little no reason where or how he got his powers

Tunichtgut

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I'm maybe one of the few, but i liked most parts of Ep VIII, and that we kinda said goodbye to the past, but JJ is just gonna redo one of the earlier movies and sell it as new one, isn't he? I mean, he did it with EP VII.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
It's more like if you have a finished book that then gets a cancerous goiter add on.

Gyro Zeppeli

Oct 27, 2017
He's lying. Darth Jar Jar was the mastermind all along. Jar Jar is/was, in actuality, Darth Plagueis. After Darth Sidious killed Darth Plagueis in his sleep, he reincarnated as the "fool" Jar Jar Binks.

Anyway, that would be a terrific angle. Disney, I'll take my paycheck in the millions please.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
Maybe if they hinted to it for either of the last two films it would have made sense. Instead, we had Snoke, who doesn't fit in to the story now at all with little no reason where or how he got his powers

I will give them one thing...when Snoke was torturing Rey and the Emperor's theme started playing, I felt like they might be starting to lean towards a connection between Snoke and Sheev. It might just have been a lazy music cue from John Williams but it was there.