• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
Yea, that's not what people are going to be mad about. It's very clearly an "Elseworlds" type story, and I think most people already know that.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think people will be fine with all that..........

......if the movie is great.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
Genuine question: What percentage of the general movie-going audience is familiar with your average comic book vs. just the movies?

Strangelove_77

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So it's not a solo Joker movie? That actually sounds better. I did not want to see a movie solely about the Joker I know.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
I'm totally okay with this, but I'm also just really pleased they cast Joaquin Phoenix for this. He's the quintessential Deeply Troubled Hollywood actor, so I'm super curious to see what he brings to the role.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Well yeah, it's an elseworlds story. They said that from the start.

I still have little confidence in that director but they can take as many liberties as they want with the source material.

Rvaan

Oct 25, 2017
But I wanted a shot for shot remake of the killing joke animated movie!

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
That's fine. Probably as long as it doesn't mess with Batman's part of the mythology.

But I remember hearing things about the plot that primed me not to like this, so that's a separate challenge.

Ebullientprism

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean -

1 AFAIK there is no set single Joker origin storyline in the comics. So I dont know what they are talking about.
2 Its kinda worrying they dont know that lol.

ManaByte

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California

Joker inspires people and has clown followers. While they're rioting in the nice part of town, one of his clown followers goes to a movie theater and kills the Waynes outside. Yes, the Waynes died outside a theater in the comic, but a crazy guy inspired by the Joker going to a movie theater with a gun evokes what happened at Aurora and for a "Batman" movie to include that is going to have some people writing big think pieces abut it.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Joker inspires people and has clown followers. While they're rioting in the nice part of town, one of his clown followers goes to a movie theater and kills the Waynes outside. Yes, the Waynes died outside a theater in the comic, but a crazy guy inspired by the Joker going to a movie theater with a gun evokes what happened at Aurora and for a "Batman" movie to include that is going to have some people writing big think pieces abut it.

Okay, that's just dumb all around.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean -

1 AFAIK there is no set single Joker origin storyline in the comics. So I dont know what they are talking about.
2 Its kinda worrying they dont know that lol.

You said it yourself: there are several Joker origin storylines in the comics. What they are saying is that the movie isn't an adaptation of one of these origin storylines.

Rvaan

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I can see how that would have some people writing think pieces.

TrafficCoen

The Fallen
Feb 22, 2019
I'm fine with this and there will be almost no backlash about this. Maybe 5% of the audience who watch this know about Joker origins comic stuff like the red hood, the killing joke etc. And of that 5% maybe 0.5% will be annoyed they did a new thing

JCG

Oct 25, 2017
This doesn't matter. It's all about the actual quality of their choices, not the changes or omissions from the comic versions of the Joker.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that is dumb along with the part that incels will love. Movie already sounds like shit. If the leaks are true it's going to be trashed so hard.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Understandable but that's only if people write about it everywhere and try to turn it into a debate while the movie itself will probably be fine.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
779bMtO.gif

tenor.gif

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Thats what Tim Burton said about his Batman didn't he?

Shouldn't effect the quality of a movie.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Should have been an adaptation of The Killing Joke, but whatever. Joker without Batman is like a dry peanut butter sandwich. Where's the jelly?

Hope it works for those who are interested.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017

Yup, this entire movie is poorly timed, in terrible taste, and strangely blind to the zeitgeist. It will be the Fight Club for incel mass shooters in waiting, because it's pretty much about how much it sucks to be them.

Not the movie we need right now. But maybe the one we deserve.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
Would he be the type to say, "well there were no comics on set so totally not based on the comics?