• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
Why should the different takes on these characters stay only in comics, even in main continuities from the comics we had characters with changing origin stories and stuff whys woyld it be good for comics bit not for movies?

Changes themselves aren't a bad thing, but I feel it's a bad approach turning comic characters into film versions when those characters become unrecognizable to the fans. Marvel has done a great job of walking the line between faithful adaptations and minor changes to their characters, and it's paid off wonderfully. People like their movie characters partly because they recognize who each of them are, the core of the characters are intact.

WB seems to have a habit of changing the core of who their movie characters are when compared to the comic source materials, and IMHO that is a mistake. This new Joker movie sounds to be doing this again, and personally I just want to see DC comics brought to life. Like Marvel has done. The DC animated films do an incredible job of this for the most part, and I really wish the DCEU would just take their animated material and live action it.

Maybe I'm biased having grown up on comic books from the 70's and 80's. It's possible the DCEU just isn't ever going to appeal to me except for a few films here and there. It's also possible I'll enjoy this Joker film a lot more than I expect to and my concerns are unwarranted!

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You're telling me an Elseworlds type story will be different from established comic canon

gasp

emir

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
''Joaquin Phoenix's Joker movie...''

That's damn enough for me. Can't wait to see this.

Phamit

Oct 26, 2017
My only fear for the movie at the moment is that it is as straightforward as it looks. Being bullied, not successfull and having a weird relationship with his mother etc. seems like such a by the numbers origin for the Joker.

Hopefully they did enough research to come up with something new and didn't think that they are above that.

Last edited:

DeathyBoy

Oct 29, 2017
Under my Hela Hela
User Warned: Inappropriate Commentary
Nah, not a good reply. I was specifically referring to your "biased" comment, which you're not in the best place to call someone else.

Dude, get help. Seriously. You must have better things to do than follow me around and telling everyone I'm a DC Stan. Especially given I barely post here anymore, and yet you still pounce every time I enter a superhero thread. Just chill the fuck out and go get some sunlight or something.