• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
FelipeMGM

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
I know san diego studio does a lot more than just scan athletes... they're fully equipped to help with full on development tasks if required. And they do.

hmmm, I never said anything like that, I was talking specifically about Drawn to Death. Of course, they are a fully equipped developer, the ship games yearly...

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's cool. More 1st party studios from Sony? Hell yes!

Now all I and Sony need.... give my a 1st party JRPG studio.
I dont understand?

They are transforming this VASG studio (which supposedly only supports with tech experdise other Sony studios) into a proper studio capable of handling a project by themselves? So it is a new studio? A remification of San Diego? Will they give it a name? I am lost?
unbenannt7is9v.png

"Sony PlayStation is building a new game development team in partnership with Sony's VASG."

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

unbenannt7is9v.png

"Sony PlayStation is building a new game development team in partnership with Sony's VASG."

Why dont they make an announcement then? Like, welcome X studio to the Sony Interactive Entertainment family!"

A whole new studio is pretty huge news

Edit: now that I am thinking about it maybe they would like to finish the contracting phase to make it official

OP
OP
FelipeMGM

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
That doesn't make any sense. Sony already has their publishing arm that handles those white collar activities in distributing finances/marketing/business management/etc. SIE San Diego are accredited as developers to Drawn To Death. Same for Starblood Arena. Another example is Sony Santa Monica helping Giant Sparrow develop The Unfinished Swan. SSM wasn't acting in publishing duties, they were active developers in that product.

I don't want to keep dragging this, but here is what I have gathered from this situations to try to make it clear what Im trying to say

Drawn To Death credits shows Sony employees on producer and QA roles (usual roles for a publisher) and also artists, animators and riggers from VASG (which is housed in the same building as the San Diego offices)

The deal with Unfinished Swan and all the external development projects on Santa Monica Studio are very similar SMS staff credits are all related to publisher producing roles. Its producers, QA consultant, technical directors, design consultants and also VASG staff for animation, 3D artists and VFX

San Diego and Santa Monica didn't have teams with programmers, designers, artists working full time along the developers like Giant Sparrow and Bartlet Jones. They handled production assistance, which yeah its part of the development process, but not the way you were originally referencing, like saying ''San Diego had just developed a 3rd person shooter''.

Last edited:

Deleted member 1326

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why dont they make an announcement then? Like, welcome X studio to the Sony Interactive Entertainment family!"

Edit: now that I am thinking about it maybe they would like to finish the contracting phase to make it official
We don't know if it's a new studio yet.
They could just adopt Sony San Diego name.
I hope they get an identity of their own though, it's fun.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Sony started "Manchester Studio" over 2 years ago and we haven't heard anything official from Sony. That's how you do it. Let them make their first game and let them form their team and studio.

Deleted member 5593

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego and Santa Monica didn't have teams with programmers, designers, artists working full time along the developers like Giant Sparrow and Bartlet Jones. They handled production assistance, which yeah its part of the development process, but not the way you were originally referencing, like saying ''San Diego had just developed a 3rd person shooter''.

Yeah, how does anything I originally said contradict that? I never said Sony San Diego solely developed with no one else contributing. You just agreed they were part of the development process.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Uncharted is my favorite series of all time, I would love to see a new studios take on it.

jayu26

Oct 25, 2017
It really sounds like they are working on established franchise, which gives a lot of credence to an Uncharted game. Let them get established by working on a known property before they spread their creative wings.

OP
OP
FelipeMGM

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, how does anything I originally said contradict that? I never said Sony San Diego solely developed with no one else contributing. You just agreed they were part of the development process.

Maybe we've been discussing semantics, so to put it very directly what I mean, they weren't developing, they were producing. They are both parts of the development process but are very different responsibilities and not equal roles. Because they produced that title, doesn't mean they are likely to develop a similar title.

It's the same case between Japan Studio and FS on BloodBorne, the former producer, the later developer.

Sorry ... I guess I was speaking more to the general public than directly to you.

no stress. They are an incredible underappreciated studio, so I understand the sentiment

Deleted member 5593

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe we've been discussing semantics, so to put it very directly what I mean, they weren't developing, they were producing. They are both parts of the development process but are very different responsibilities and not equal roles. Because they produced that title, doesn't mean they are likely to develop a similar title.

It's the same case between Japan Studio and FS on BloodBorne, the former producer, the later developer.

Sure, and I never claimed SSD had the same roles as Barlet Jones staff and such. But that still doesn't take it away that SSD did develop D2D regardless of the capacity of their roles/involvement you're scrutinizing.The original statement I was replying to when I said Sony San Diego developed Drawn to Death was this:

They are looking for people experienced in 3rd person action/adventure games.
MLB is 3rd person but I don't thinkt the job description would fit. No need to create a new game dev team for that either imo.

The above poster said they don't have experience when they clearly do and I used D2D as an example. And I'll say the same thing regarding Sony Japan if one was to claim they couldn't make a souls-like JRPG because they don't have the experience I would contest that by saying they have experience in the development of BB.

twisted heart

Oct 25, 2017
Im glad Sony is beginning to expand first party again I like what Pixelopus is doing and I hope they continue to make new IP's.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
If its San Diego what are the odds its another sports game? "Action/Adventure" seems like its just a generic listing, if it was a sports title they probably couldn't even tease it happening through job listings

(look all I really want is someone else to make another NFL game)

Deleted member 1326

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The above poster said they don't have experience when they clearly do and I used D2D as an example. And I'll say the same thing regarding Sony Japan if one was to claim they couldn't make a souls-like JRPG because they don't have the experience I would contest that by saying they have experience in the development of BB.
That's fine.

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
Outstanding news. I will always applaud any publisher that expands. And with their resources and success, expansion is exactly what I want to see from Sony.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
Sure, and I never claimed SSD had the same roles as Barlet Jones staff and such. But that still doesn't take it away that SSD did develop D2D regardless of the capacity of their roles/involvement you're scrutinizing.The original statement I was replying to when I said Sony San Diego developed Drawn to Death was this:

SMH. They didn't develop those games in the strict sense of the word though. Bartlett Jones did all the actual game development on Drawn to Death, same as FromSoftware on Bloodborne, the external development team at Sony San Diego "merely" assisted them in a producer-like role. That's what all of Sony's external development teams do (at XDev, Sony San Diego, Sony San Mateo and Japan Studio). But none of Sony San Diego's game designers, artists or programmers touched Drawn to Death, so it's disingenuous to say "they have experience with those kind of games" when their actual developers team had nothing to do with it.

Apr 11, 2018
Sweden
I would be scared shitless if I was the head of a new studio and I was the maker of the new Uncharted game. Doesn't matter if its new characters, another character than Drake. I would be scared to pieces to not only have to make a new game in a succeful series, but to make it in Naughty Dog's feet. Could you imagine the pressure lol.

Deleted member 34788

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Good, good very good. Nice to see SD studio staffing up again after the f2p games didn't take off.

Probably U5, but featuring sully or y'know, uhhh, ermmmm, the other one.

;)

Deleted member 5593

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
SMH. They didn't develop those games in the strict sense of the word though. Bartlett Jones did all the actual game development on Drawn to Death, same as FromSoftware on Bloodborne, the external development team at Sony San Diego "merely" assisted them in a producer-like role. That's what all of Sony's external development teams do (at XDev, Sony San Diego, Sony San Mateo and Japan Studio). But none of Sony San Diego's game designers, artists or programmers touched Drawn to Death, so it's disingenuous to say "they have experience with those kind of games" when their actual developers team had nothing to do with it.

So if SSM isn't giving any designers/programmers/artists/etc. towards the project then how are they "assisting"? A producer is someone who manages resources, assigns roles, maintains deadlines, etc. That's a position designated to a person, not a team.

Do you honestly believe there were no programmers from SSM didn't assist in building the online infrastructure? Do you really believe there were no artists that assisted in asset creation? Sure, I can understand if all the creative designers were from Barlet Jones but as for the rest you're the one being disingenuous depreciating the role Sony San Diego played in the making of the game.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
MAG was on Zipper entirely*.
Sony however screwed the hell out of Zipper with Socom 4.
1. Forced them to nearly ruin the core game to appeal to COD fanbase.

2. Freaking PSN hack happened the weekend Socom 4 released and PSN was down for like a month, killing any hope for that game.

*Nice idea, terrible execution, features too ahead of its time. Spent way too long on it instead of a proper Socom forcing Sony to outsource the first PS3 Socom.

This is categorically bullshit.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
So if SSM isn't giving any designers/programmers/artists/etc. towards the project then how are they "assisting"? A producer is someone who manages resources, assigns roles, maintains deadlines, etc. That's a position designated to a person, not a team.

Do you honestly believe there were no programmers from SSM didn't assist in building the online infrastructure? Do you really believe there were no artists that assisted in asset creation? Sure, I can understand if all the creative designers were from Barlet Jones but as for the rest you're the one being disingenuous depreciating the role Sony San Diego played in the making of the game.
They're assisting by making sure the resources the team needs are available to them. If that means providing them a sound studio, creative advice, a network engineer, outsourced art or whatever then that's what they do. Hell, if it means providing them an office space to work in, like SSM did with Giant Sparrow and thatgamecompany, then that's also what they do. By producer I didn't mean an actual producer, I meant that their role is to provide the resources the dev team needs so they can get their shit done.

As far as Drawn to Death goes, look at its credits and tell me how many SSD (not SSM) programmers and artists you see there:
http://www.mobygames.com/game/playstation-4/drawn-to-death/credits

I'm not being disingenuous or depreciating the role Sony San Diego's external dev team played, I think they do a fantastic and necessary job, but what you're doing is actually downplaying the actual dev teams by insisting that they were co-developed with major studios when in reality that's far from the case.

Oct 25, 2017

unbenannt7is9v.png

This reads like a new team to continue Uncharted. Hopefully that won't be all they do, but I must say I am VERY happy it continues if I'm right. I see nothing about new IP and a collaboration with Naughty Dog makes sense as opposed to just completely handing it over to a team unfamiliar with it. Maybe similar to how Crystal Dynamics is overseeing the next TR game.

Won't Naughty Dog cry again about another studio using their franchise?

If they are going ahead with this I assuming that it isn't a problem. If they working with the new team they at least have quality control to assure it doesn't turn into shit.

Last edited:

jrb

Nov 9, 2017
Always nice to have more teams working in the amazing first party games that Sony is creating. Hope we can discover soon what they are up to.

Elixist

Oct 31, 2017
Are prequels ever really good in games or movies? I doesn't seem so. I'd rather have ******* or Chloe

i generally agree, cause its hard to create tension when you know certain characters cant die. but you can have new characters to kill off of course. i like sully i'd take it, especially if its as good as Lost Legacy, yummy.

Sarobi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lol I hope it isn't Uncharted related. I love Uncharted, but a new IP would be great.

ED_209

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Curitiba/Brazil
Has anyone commented on the possibility of this being an expansion of Naughty Dog?
Like Insomniac Burbank and Insomniac North Carolina. The job listing talks about a support team.

Deleted member 5593

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They're assisting by making sure the resources the team needs are available to them. If that means providing them a sound studio, creative advice, a network engineer, outsourced art or whatever then that's what they do. Hell, if it means providing them an office space to work in, like SSM did with Giant Sparrow and thatgamecompany, then that's also what they do. By producer I didn't mean an actual producer, I meant that their role is to provide the resources the dev team needs so they can get their shit done.

As far as Drawn to Death goes, look at its credits and tell me how many SSD (not SSM) programmers and artists you see there:
http://www.mobygames.com/game/playstation-4/drawn-to-death/credits

I'm not being disingenuous or depreciating the role Sony San Diego's external dev team played, I think they do a fantastic and necessary job, but what you're doing is actually downplaying the actual dev teams by insisting that they were co-developed with major studios when in reality that's far from the case.

That mobygames link does not have the complete credits. Sony Santa Monica didn't only just give Giant Sparrow office space to make their game. You can have a look at its complete credits and you can see very key technical members within that played a huge role like Tim Moss being their chief of technology along with creative leads from SSM providing help. The same is true how Sony San Diego do things. You gave an example of a network engineer... that's also considered a developer. Creative advice is another example you gave which is influencing game design. These all count towards development of a title and hence "co-developed" is a perfectly apt way to describe the relationship between Bartel Jones and Sony San Diego.