• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017
Im pretty sure the next one will be a spiritual sequel to link between worlds.

Oct 31, 2017
Aonuma said they liked the open air design and they're going with it in the future. That's fine because I love BotW and I want more like that and it speeds up development time. If they want to add more story and real dungeon elements then I'll be delighted. Likewise, if they still have Zelda handheld teams at Nintendo, I'd love to still see the next open air Zelda game along with a traditional top-down entry again. Hell...I'll take anything Zelda and be pleased, honestly.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I hope that this means one thing:

- Getting traditional dungeon designs for an modern open world Zelda game.

I want something like the Water Dungeon or the Kokiri Forest Tree :) give me that and the "Breath of the Wild" open world style and iam happy like no one else
This. They can integrate well crafted dungeons with a proper flow into the open world. They already had something like that going with the Lost Woods and the Korok Forest, they just need more of that stuff. They also have lots of hidden ruins in the game that you have to spot and enter and you find trinkets inside, they should simply turn those into proper dungeons. Maybe even integrate them in the world at large. The world has breadth, now it needs more depth.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
I'm predicting they go the route of adding a shrinking mechanic like in Minish Cap. Didn't they say they were working on it for BotW but yanked it?

It would allow them to make the world smaller but still have grand level design within it.

All I reallly want them to do is take the concept of BotW and cram dungeon back in and have a stronger story. I'm okay with losing some openness if it has to be done.
What if Hyrule is the size of Ocarina of Time or Twilight Princess, but the minature world is a massive open world the size of BotW? Can allow for some amazing scenarios.

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
Impatiently waiting for news of a potential handheld iteration before BotW 2.

Good news nonetheless. As clever as I found some of the shrines, fingers crossed for some actual dungeons this time

Red

Oct 26, 2017
*snarky comment about dungeons*

I wonder what the turnaround for the next 3D Zelda will be. IIRC, they said it would take less time because they laid the groundwork now but I assume there is going to be some big "hook" to set it apart from BotW.
The hook could simply be massive dungeons. I don't imagine it would be difficult for them to sell an open world with a dungeon plan similar to say, Link to the Past. I've had dreams of BotW-esque gameplay, climbing up Death Mountain, watching the rise of a massive spire-tipped dungeon as I crest the top.

Would be enough for me, anyway.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
I assume this is will be in the BOTW style.

I believe Grezzo also teased they were going to do something related to Zelda. Not to mention that there's also the handheld team that could be making something else as well.

Good times.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Next full fledged mainline game should be a cross-gen title at Switchs end-of-life earliest, i hope. Taking their time worked for BotW, keep doing it.
Maybe they have a smaller team provide a MM-like "side game" with much asset recycling? But honestly, i don't need that, keep all focus and resources on the next main game and take your time.

What could be nice is if they would take that early prototype of BotW, you know with Zelda 1 NES graphics, and turn those into some sort of 2D Zelda Maker.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if this is for the next big Zelda game or for a smaller one between big games. I imagine we'll see at least one smaller scale Zelda like the handheld ones before the BoTW successor.

Oct 25, 2017
I hope a 2D game is happening in between these releases. I'm told repeatedly on here the Switch has everything the 3DS ever offered.

Stouffers

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The next Zelda will have a light/dark world setup with at least 7 hidden-in-plain-sight dungeons. It'll be set outside of Hyrule.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
That wouldn't change anything. It'd be BoTW size
Yeah, and? Imagine exploring a relatively small Hyrule, with a massive BotW Picori Scale world in every corner. It doesn't even need to be open world, eith regular sized hyrule acting as a hub to a number of various massive open areas. Basically give me Minish Cap but with the game size of BotW. That would be my perfect game for what they should do next, experiment with old concepts in this new vrave world.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
That's an easy task to do. Take botw's empty world and make proper dungeons this time, give the game an actual story, and bring back classic Zelda items like the hookshot, etc.
People say that, but I guarantee they will start missing things they take for granted in BotW in the next game.

ChaosXVI

Oct 25, 2017
I'm also of the belief that there will probably be a 2D style game before the next 3D one. 2019 feels like the right timing for one, but the year appears to be pretty packed as it is, so maybe not until 2020. I doubt the next 3D Zelda comes out until 2021 at the earliest, 2022 more realistically.

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
As i said in the other thread, i think that aonuma said that the production of the new one began at august 2017.

Im pretty certain that by now, the game is already in full production for...7 months?

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
People say that, but I guarantee they will start missing things they take for granted in BotW in the next game.

That's why I want them to build/ expand on botw wilds designs while bringing back stuff that they removed from previous Zelda games ie more gadgets, a real time menu ( skyward sword did this ), etc.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
I've had this idea for a while:

A smaller map than BotW (yet still big enough, maybe a large island) and there's one gargantuan interconnected Metroidvania-esque dungeon under the ground (as big or somewhat smaller than the overworld, their combined size rivaling BotW's map size), albeit broken up into more digestible and distinct "districts" with many entrances and passageways all over the map.

Would anyone like that?

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017

A smaller map than BotW (yet still big enough, maybe a large island) and there's one gargantuan interconnected Metroidvania-esque dungeon under the ground (as big or somewhat smaller than the overworld, their combined size rivaling BotW's map size), albeit broken up into more digestible and distinct "districts" with many entrances and passageways all over the map.

Would anyone like that?

Sounds like a 3D version of Subrosia from Oracle of Ages.

Dunno, it sounds great, but i wonder if they would be able to have both, the overworld and the sub-dungeon-world, have the same amount of polishing, without reducing BotW's map size too much.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i think it's best if they don't feel like they have to top botw's map size. they can keep it around the same size, maybe even smaller, and improve the other aspects of the game.

Would anyone like that?
that sounds AMAZING tbh, a big open world on top, a metroidvania-ish explorable world under it, you do quests in the open world to open up the dungeon.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Multiplayer in a traditional Zelda game? I hope not.
A side mode, like when Uncharted 2 got one and everyone in the internet melt down in and then it was actually great. Like in Uncharted, I can see in BotW's mechanics a lot of potential for fun multi.

But at the same time leaving the single player mode untouched of course.

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece

Would anyone like that?
This is what I want from the next Metroid. I prefer individual dungeon in Zelda. I also liked shrines, ideally I want a few bigger dungeons like OoT and lots of shrines like 30-40.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
I think the handheld team's Zelda will be a big surprise to people. Can't wait to see where they take it!

Majora85

Nov 21, 2017
Man, some of you guys are going to be so disappointed when they don't go back to the old Zelda formula. Breath of the Wild made the franchise truly relevant to the mainstream again for the first time in over a decade, and is the best selling game in the whole series. They're not going to go back to a template that was on a downwards spiral in terms of both sales and public interest for years.

A_Jazzy_Book

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, sounds like stuff one would expect in a Zelda. Just stay the course and keep experimenting and improving. Keep anything traditional to an absolute minimum. Blow me away again now the foundation's down, all I got to say.

Last edited:

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA

I wonder what the turnaround for the next 3D Zelda will be. IIRC, they said it would take less time because they laid the groundwork now but I assume there is going to be some big "hook" to set it apart from BotW.
I'm hoping for a water focus. Sailing on ships, underwater swimming, etc. Other than that just more BotW please.

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
I hope they take as much time as needed. BotW is incredible and I keep coming back to it.

Would love to see a 2D Zelda in 2019/2020, and a new 3D Zelda in 2021/2022. I think that would be a perfect timeline.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
I just want proper dungeons with interconnecting alternate exits and secret passages and entrance puzzles. Tie it in with the overworld puzzled like in BOTW

Vidiot

Oct 27, 2017
There's no way they just do exactly what they did with BotW again. I have a feeling dungeons will be more traditional at the very least. I also don't think it will be Hyrule again and will likely have a story not dealing with Ganon.

Mr. Fantastic

Alt-account
Banned
Apr 27, 2018
Nintendo I am available. I don't fill any of your pre-requisites but I am sure I would make for great moral support!

megashock5

Oct 27, 2017
Powell, Ohio
I'd be perfectly happy with a BOTW2. Just a new adventure in a new land with new characters to interact with. Could even be the same engine, format, and graphical style. I just want to go explore again.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I would guess at least a year less than BotW's development cycle due to the engine and a lot of the base assets already existing and them not having to make it for two platforms.

We also really have no idea when BotW's full development started and how often members of the team were pulled away to help with other projects.

I personally think we'll get a sequel / prequel to BotW around the time PS5/XB2 launch (late 2019 / Spring 2020) as a sort of counter to the new systems. Mario Odyssey 2 shortly before or after aswell.

Bass2448

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So here are Nintendo's options

- A. Replicate the Majora's mask situation with the next Zelda. Way different level design but similar art/assets in 2020
- B. Make BOTW2 with same land but a direct continuation of BOTW's story. 2020
- C. Make BOTW2 with different land with no direct continuation. Same assets. 2021
- D. Completely new built up from the ground zelda. New Art direction. (Realisitic?). 2023

Based on sales and Nintendo's history, I'm going with C. Nintendo has usually always made main Zelda's in pairs as far as using similar aspects/assets. (Zelda 1/2, LTTP/Awakening, OOT/MM, WW/TP). Only Skyward Sword was alone. TP was first developed in Cel shading like WW. I think the sales of BOTW will also lean them into C. Nintendo has usually never done a copy/paste sequel outside of Galaxy 1 and 2 so I doubt B will happen and D doesn't capitalize enough on the massive effort put into BOTW. What do you guys think?

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
As long as they do not bring traditional dungeons to a BOTW style game, I'm happy.

It would be terrible.

MadMod

Dec 4, 2017
That's an easy task to do. Take botw's empty world and make proper dungeons this time, give the game an actual story, and bring back classic Zelda items like the hookshot, etc.

In my opinion the world was the complete opposite of empty. I loved the exploration. Everything else would be a great addition.

I do feel like they will go for a new approach next though, like they have with most Zelda games. I'd love a sequel thats just build on BOTW, with those suggested improvements.

Neutra

Oct 27, 2017
NYC

Would anyone like that?

This is what I had hoped BOTW would be until I realized the overworld is so large that they couldn't possibly have built another map underneath it. But yes, someone (Nintendo, whoever) needs to make a AAA game based on this concept.