• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017

Several Democratic presidential candidates sharply criticized Joseph R. Biden Jr. on Wednesday for invoking two Southern segregationist senators by name as he defended himself over accusations of being "old-fashioned" and fondly recalled the "civility" of the Senate in the 1970s and 1980s.
Mr. Biden, speaking at a fund-raiser at the Carlyle Hotel in New York City on Tuesday night, stressed the need to "be able to reach consensus under our system," and cast his decades in the Senate as a time of relative comity. His remarks come as some in his party say that Mr. Biden, the former vice president, is too focused on overtures to the right as he seeks the Democratic presidential nomination.
At the event, Mr. Biden noted that he served with the late Senators James O. Eastland of Mississippi and Herman Talmadge of Georgia, both Democrats who were staunch opponents of desegregation. Mr. Eastland was the powerful chair of the Senate Judiciary Committee when Mr. Biden entered the chamber in 1973.
"I was in a caucus with James O. Eastland," said Mr. Biden, 76, slipping briefly into a Southern accent, according to a pool report from the fund-raiser. "He never called me 'boy,' he always called me 'son.'"

He called Mr. Talmadge "one of the meanest guys I ever knew, you go down the list of all these guys."
"Well guess what?" Mr. Biden continued. "At least there was some civility. We got things done. We didn't agree on much of anything. We got things done. We got it finished. But today you look at the other side and you're the enemy. Not the opposition, the enemy. We don't talk to each other anymore."

On Wednesday, Senator Cory Booker of New Jersey, one of two black candidates running for president, said Mr. Biden was "wrong" to use segregationists as examples for bringing the country together.

"You don't joke about calling black men 'boys,'" Mr. Booker said in a statement. "I'm disappointed that he hasn't issued an immediate apology for the pain his words are dredging up for many Americans. He should." Senator Bernie Sanders of Vermont later echoed Mr. Booker's call for an apology.

Mr. Eastland, a plantation owner, was known as a vociferous opponent of integration efforts and a staunch critic of the civil rights movement, which he sometimes dismissed as the work of "communists." Throughout his career he referred to African-Americans as members of an "inferior race" and used the racist term "mongrelization."

Mr. Talmadge was also a critic of the civil rights movement and opposed the 1954 Supreme Court decision, Brown v. Board of Education, that declared racially segregated public schools unconstitutional.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Things were a lot better before Biden joined the race. I don't see any way Biden doesn't win the nomination and it sucks. We have multiple great candidates that could beat Trump.

ZedLilIndPum

Oct 27, 2017
Actually I figured he wouldn't be the nominee. It's almost better that he self-implode than that a vicious intraparty battle happens.

Then again, this sounds a lot like me 3 years ago with Trump...ugh I need an Advil.

Deleted member 22490

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
"
Mr. Biden had a similarly mixed relationship with Strom Thurmond, a South Carolina Republican with a history of racist views who was a key figure on the Senate Judiciary Committee in the 1980s and 1990s.

Though Mr. Biden and Mr. Thurmond had several disagreements over civil rights, they worked closely on crime legislation in the 1980s and 1990s. In 1997, Mr. Biden effusively praised him, including glowing words for Thurmond's life before public office.

"Long before he was a committee chairman; indeed long before he came to the Senate so many years ago, Strom Thurmond was the consummate public servant," Mr. Biden said.

Mr. Biden punctuated his speech with a joke: "Though he holds the record for the Senate's longest filibuster, Strom Thurmond is a doer rather than a talker."

He left out what Mr. Thurmond was filibustering when he set the record: the Civil Rights Act of 1957, which established the Department of Justice's Civil Rights Division.

"

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
He's gonna win the nomination the same way Trump won the presidency huh. Except this time it'll be worse because it's the Democrats who would vote him in

Actually I figured he wouldn't be the nominee. It's almost better that he self-implode than that a vicious intraparty battle happens.

Then again, this sounds a lot like me 3 years ago with Trump...ugh I need an Advil.

Yeah...

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Things were a lot better before Biden joined the race. I don't see any way Biden doesn't win the nomination and it sucks. We have multiple great candidates that could beat Trump.

Yep. My biggest concern is that Biden wins the nomination and the younger, progressive side of the party won't bother to turn up for him, albeit on bigger scale than Bernie-or-busters in 2016. I'm getting the same arrogant impression from Biden that I got from Hillary, where he feels like he's entitled to the nomination and thinks he can coast on Obama nostalgia alone.

I don't love Bernie, but I hope he wipes the floor with Biden in the upcoming debates and folks realize how out of touch the man is.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
Can we stop pretending Biden is a shoe in. Ask Rudy in 2008 and Jeb in 2016 how useful a lead 6 months before the primaries and before a single debate has happened was for them.

Opto

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I see we have the bold "alienate and hurt the black base of the party's voters" strategy.

JackSwift

Oct 28, 2017
I think he's trying to do for dems what Trump did for the GOP, but it just doesn't work that way. He tells it like it is!

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just really hoping for his black supporters to see through the charade. He's a borderline Dixiecrat, maybe an actual closet Dixiecrat.

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Something something out of context Something something only he can beat Trump something something do you want Trump to win something something.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The fact that Trump won was an indictment on this country and shine a spotlight on just how racist it was and the fact that Biden will probably win shows that people really dont care about policies just some good ol civility, oh as long as you arent a woman, LGBT, or PoC.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
"We got stuff done."

Yeah you got stuff done, you got the New Jim Crow done you racist buffoon.

Never attempt to make a case for "civility politics". It is injustice dressed up in bells and ribbons.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just when I thought no one could fuck up an easy layup of an election quite like Hillary Clinton, here comes Joe Biden.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Did Obama choose this asshole as his VP to court the votes of white racists?

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Did Obama choose this asshole as his VP to court the votes of white racists?
Yes.

In the article published Wednesday, Biden is quoted evaluating presidential rivals Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton, D-New York, former Sen. John Edwards, D-North Carolina, and Sen. Barack Obama, D-Illinois. His remarks about Obama, the only African-American serving in the Senate, drew the most scrutiny.

"I mean, you got the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy," Biden said. "I mean, that's a storybook, man." (Watch Biden's comments and Obama's reaction )

Biden issued a statement Wednesday afternoon, saying: "I deeply regret any offense my remark in the New York Observer might have caused anyone. That was not my intent and I expressed that to Sen. Obama."

Tukarrs

Oct 27, 2017
Just really hoping for his black supporters to see through the charade. He's a borderline Dixiecrat, maybe an actual closet Dixiecrat.

It's weird for someone to even joke about this. (in 2006)
E:
And again 2006

Mr. Biden's second testimonial as a born-again Southerner came last week while he was visiting South Carolina. Speaking before Columbia's mostly Republican Rotary Club, Mr. Biden reminded his audience of his slave-state heritage and hinted that Delaware's alliance with the North was merely an accident of geography. Delaware was a "slave state that fought beside the North," he said. "That's only because we couldn't figure out how to get to the South. There were a couple of states in the way."

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I hate how Joe is taking the spotlight on all the media coverage as the next Dem nominee. It's obnoxious and unfair for the other candidates.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Everyone needs to pounce on this dude during the debates, bring up everything. Bring him down and the rising tide will lift all boats

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
Joe Biden appears to be using the Southern Strategy.

No wonder Trump is worried. Biden is going to steal a chunk of Trump's base with it.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
At this point I have to think Joe doesn't want to be running and is deliberately trying to throw the primary, yet his poll numbers are still way too high for him to just drop out.

Starwing

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2018
Unsurprising at this point. Hopefully the likes of Bernie and/or Warren along with the others bring their A-game.

Gaf Zombie

The Fallen
Dec 13, 2017
I love Joe Biden.

Joe is doing God's work by giving the other candidates a common enemy.

I mean, the only other explanation is that he's wholly out of touch with the party (reality?) and thinks this drivel will actually help him.

....nahhhhh