• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Middleman

Banned
Jun 14, 2019
We're not a monolith and most of these old black politicians are lackeys for white liberals that're well past their expiration date. John Lewis, James Clyburn, et. al. They never did much of anything for black people, their primary job being to provide cover for Democratic indifference to the plight of black people. They are paid tokens with zero power, much the same way Obama was. A black man who actually aims to do something tangible for black people, like Keith Ellison, is targeted and demonized by his own party.
You're not a monolith but you're dismissing out of hand any black person with an opinion contrary to your singular perspective.

It's absolutely fucked that establishment Dems are telling Booker to be quiet. Disgusting. But you're doing the same to these "old black politicians".

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
2019 is not 2009, people have lost their patience for bullshit. This backlash isn't happening in a vacuum. It's just another step of a reckoning on the center-left a long time in the making. #metoo was another significant step of this reckoning. Even in this community; the forum exodus was a tiny part of it.

Beyond the racism, this is why Biden is ill-equipped to be president after Trump even if we have a D in the office. His mind and manners are in the 80s while we're out here in 2020. You do not waffle on issues of race anymore unless you want to be pilloried for it, which many Republicans proudly and loudly do. It's where they get their support from, being openly racist, and openly embracing racists. But a Democrat? No, the time for Dixiecrats is over. 2016 was its death knell.
The sad thing is that they cannot read the tea leaves. The jarring defense of some democrats falling on the sword to protect the "optics" of someone in their party rightfully being raked over the coals will forever be a sign of it.

And when you think of it, Biden could've largely diffused the situation if he actually owned up for his shit. Instead, he has the gall to be out here calling for Corey Booker to apologize for daring to call out his behavior

Orwell

Banned
Jun 6, 2019
You done? Stop yelling at the mic and get off. As much as I disagree with Lewis on this issue, it's ridiculous to claim that he's done nothing for civil rights.

We have this unfortunate tendency to romanticize "civil rights," making what they purportedly enshrined into our laws something more than what they amount to. Right before he was killed, MLK began second guessing his push for "civil rights," wondering if he was shepherding black America into the burning house of integration. In hindsight, were he alive today, he would probably have regrets about just how singular his focus on "integration" was. Black wealth is projected to be at zero in just a few decades. Black unemployment continues to be at a disproportionate high, in an economy that is reportedly quite buoyant. Gentrification is displacing black families in all major cities, sending these refugees to the outskirts of major metropolises. Segregation in schooling, such as the appalling disparity in funding between predominantly black and white school districts, continues to this day. I don't think I need to mention the prison system, its cells filled with black men and women who were incarcerated thanks to Joe Biden's crime bill; or the black men, women and children who continue to be gunned down with impunity by police.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Instead, he has the gall to be out here calling for Corey Booker to apologize for daring to call out his behavior
It might've been par for the course 30 years ago for a senior politician to chide a younger one for speaking "out of turn", but this is no longer the shape of modern politics. Politicans live and die depending on how well they can navigate optic land mines, they can't just pull rank all the time.

As far as I can tell, Biden knows no other form of politics.

Orwell

Banned
Jun 6, 2019
Won't lie, I've gained a lot of respect for Cory Booker these past couple of days. I won't vote for him in the primary, but the way he's handled this has surprised me. And, what I'm most impressed with, it seems genuine and not something done for political points.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
The democratic party trying to hush up Cory Booker (The sole black male in the race right now?) absolutely disgust me. I'm so sick of their shit.

This party is showing no interest in fighting racism, they just want to coddle economically anxious whites.
Yeah but to be fair the "lawmakers" weren't even named so who knows how many it was.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People are reacting to information they weren't aware of before. Their whole outlook on politics have changed. I don't see how that is flabbergasting.

Exactly. I personally only knew that he was 'folksy' and 'a little old fashioned but well meaning'.

People aren't omniscient, they react to things as they are presented, and this kind of stuff was muffled by the media when Obama was in power.

Let's not pretend that this blowing up isn't directly related to Biden's handling of it now.

Sokrates

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We have this unfortunate tendency to romanticize "civil rights," making what they purportedly enshrined into our laws something more than what they amount to. Right before he was killed, MLK began second guessing his push for "civil rights," wondering if he was shepherding black America into the burning house of integration. In hindsight, were he alive today, he would probably have regrets about just how singular his focus on "integration" was. Black wealth is projected to be at zero in just a few decades. Black unemployment continues to be at a disproportionate high, in an economy that is reportedly quite buoyant. Gentrification is displacing black families in all major cities, sending these refugees to the outskirts of major metropolises. Segregation in schooling, such as the appalling disparity in funding between predominantly black and white school districts, continues to this day. I don't think I need to mention the prison system, its cells filled with black men and women who were incarcerated thanks to Joe Biden's crime bill; or the black men, women and children who continue to be gunned down with impunity by police.

Putting aside the dual atrocities of mass incarceration and gentrification, the civil rights movement gave us better opportunities at education and participation in politics thanks the Civil Rights Act and the Voting Rights Act. The Voting Right Act is what John Lewis fought and almost died for, and it's been eroded in recent years by the Shelby County v. Holder case and voter suppression. To imply that things are worse than before the 60s is to be really ignorant. That's not to say that we shouldn't strive for better, we should, but let's not pretend entire cities are being burned to the ground because of racial tensions or that you can't attend university or go to any private business.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Won't lie, I've gained a lot of respect for Cory Booker these past couple of days. I won't vote for him in the primary, but the way he's handled this has surprised me. And, what I'm most impressed with, it seems genuine and not something done for political points.
I mean this is a dude who a few months ago refused to call Trump racist so who knows. He's realllllly charismatic and good at appearing genuine.

I do respect him for this at least.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
It's sad that both Chaos Legion and OtherWorldly continue to bat for this piece of shit.
In almost 29 years of life the only campaign I have ever donated to was Beto's Presidential run. I am rooting for him or Kamala to grab the nomination. If Warren or Biden snag it I'd be fine! I have no interest in donating to Biden nor will I ever.

It's weird that me not condemning him even though I'm a black individual from the South implies I'm going to bat for him.

Biden talked out of his ass. But I at no point was offended because I don't hate him because he's beating Beto in the polls and I knew what he was trying to say.

I had a much longer post but again, I don't want to engage per the previous staff post. Biden didn't phrase his message remotely intelligently but as a nation hopefully we can work across the divides for our entire betterment.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
Times have changed. Stuff that happened before is being exposed in ways it wasn't before. I'm not sure why you are confused.

If you worked with someone who serially sniffed, touched and kissed women on the job, would you still be outraged if someone characterized him as a piece of shit? Because that's what a serial harasser is. That's what Biden is.

And that's letting alone his history of racist acts and commentary.

If you put it all together, it's not unreasonable to characterize Biden harshly. I'm not sure what the hand wringing here is even about.
Personally, hating biden has probably been my most consistent position in politics. Even as an idiot Ron Paul fan I could see Biden was a racist, corporatist, mass jailing warmonger and was uniquely bad for all the same reasons I hate him now. Shows how incredibly loud his dogwhistles are that it's more obvious than even the republicans at the time.

But like, unless you were online and deep into politics 2007 or earlier, when would anyone learn that? And when would it have ever made sense for me to talk about how bad he is between then and now?

Last edited:

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
Thank you for your service.
It's not exactly a brag when I admit to being a ron paul idiot in the very next sentence, that's just how bad he is. Seriously, how could you not look at his racist comments, his roll in mass incarceration, his crap bankruptcy bill, his Iraq War support that continued into that primary, and not come to that conclusion? Most probably just didn't know yet, and never had reason to.

Last edited:

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The sad thing is that they cannot read the tea leaves. The jarring defense of some democrats falling on the sword to protect the "optics" of someone in their party rightfully being raked over the coals will forever be a sign of it.

And when you think of it, Biden could've largely diffused the situation if he actually owned up for his shit. Instead, he has the gall to be out here calling for Corey Booker to apologize for daring to call out his behavior
Seriously. Like I had a lot of reservations about Clinton but at least a lot of her campaign was acknowledging the troubling positions she previously took and wanting to work toward remedying them (not all of them obviously but a lot of the big ones). Biden is just doubling down on this and wishing we could go back to peacefully working with racist dixiecrats who want white people to murder black people with a variety of weapons.

Oct 27, 2017
The democratic party trying to hush up Cory Booker (The sole black male in the race right now?) absolutely disgust me. I'm so sick of their shit.

This party is showing no interest in fighting racism, they just want to coddle economically anxious whites.
Well of course, they and many others wanna go back to the status quo of ignoring the problems of American society.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The party will be so desperate they will start paying Black people for their silence. This mini saga is ridiculous.

Dec 31, 2017
Might not be the appropriate thread, but here it is.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politic...nistic-comments-race-and-civil-rights/592252/

The thread is there in his first big interview before his inaugural Senate run: "I have some friends on the far left, and they can justify to me the murder of a white deaf mute for a nickel by five colored guys. They say the black men had been oppressed and so on. But they can't justify some Alabama farmers tar and feathering an old colored woman," Biden said in November 1970, just as he was coming onto the political scene. He had just won his first election to the New Castle County Council, and he was featured in a major profile in the Wilmington, Delaware, News Journal with a splashy headline: "Joe Biden: Hope for Democratic Party in '72?"

"I suspect the ACLU would leap to defend the five black guys," Biden continued in the interview. "But no one would go down to help the 'rednecks.' They are both products of an environment. The truth is somewhere between the two poles. And rednecks are usually people with very real concerns, people who lack the education and skills to express themselves quietly and articulately."

This guy is rapidly approaching nuclear waste status.

And the people he's trying to appeal to(is actually apart of?) are about to kneecap him anyway!

https://www.newsweek.com/conservati...t-comments-race-ads-during-democratic-1445368

While the upcoming Democratic debates will feature a cast of 20 presidential hopefuls trying to stand out from the pack, a prominent conservative group will be targeting just one candidate: the party's current front-runner, former Vice President Joe Biden.

Club for Growth confirmed to Reuters on Saturday that it intends to run TV advertisements opposing Biden. These ads will specifically address concerns about comments the long-time politician has made about racial matters.

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Should be a new thread tbh, though I guess they would probably lock it and redirect to the main primaries thread.

Oct 27, 2017
Biden is approaching some non-ignorable red flag levels. If he cares about the country, he needs to consider dropping out. He's gonna get massacred by the right wing super PACs.