• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
this seems like nothing but Biden certainly hasn't earned the benefit of the doubt in regards to his mental acuity so I can kind of see the concern

I'm gonna go out on a limb here though and assume that he knows Obama's name

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean I am making that case because I've seen dementia with my own eyes and this is it with Biden and all his gaffes, I'm dead serious about it. I don't know why America has this fascination with electing senile people to office but it is insane to me that people are willingly brushing his gaffes aside.

You're working with the assumption that Joe Biden is a power hungry monster who is ignoring the medical advice and working prognosis, by your account, of early onset dementia and is running because he just needs to be President no matter what.

Tell me, what about Joe Biden strikes you as someone who in the face of being told he has some form of developing mental illness would run for POTUS?

And you're not the only one with family members who have fallen to dementia/alzheimer's

Yea, he's old. Let's assume he had a mental lapse where he forgot Obama's name for a second and made an awkward replacement. There are lots of other key symptoms of dementia to look for and that you need to confirm a diagnosis beyond someone who is old not being as sharp and quick on the draw as they were a decade ago.

OP
OP
Hierophant

Hierophant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
You're working with the assumption that Joe Biden is a power hungry monster who is ignoring the medical advice and working prognosis, by your account, of early onset dementia and is running because he just needs to be President no matter what.

Tell me, what about Joe Biden strikes you as someone who in the face of being told he has some form of developing mental illness would run for POTUS?

And you're not the only one with family members who have fallen to dementia/alzheimer's

Yea, he's old. Let's assume he had a mental lapse where he forgot Obama's name for a second and made an awkward replacement. There are lots of other key symptoms of dementia to look for and that you need to confirm a diagnosis beyond someone who is old not being as sharp and quick on the draw as they were a decade ago.
The fact he ran when Obama repeatedly told him not to, his own campaign workers getting increasingly frustrated with him going against their orders and suggestions.
Look I really do feel you, maybe it isn't dementia, I'm not a doctor and I'm only working off my own personal experiences, but with this election being so important, why even take the chance in 2020? Even if it's just his notoriously poor public speaking ability, that's definitely not good form for someone who is expected to be President of the United States.
I'm not even going to stump for Bernie here like what would be expected of me. You have much more mentally sharp moderate candidates like Harris just by virtue of age. Just pick anyone who isn't an alzheimers patient waiting to happen.

Deleted member 4346

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

You'd think Joe would remember the name of the man solely responsible for him being one of the front runners in the 2020 Democratic primary?

Joe's done.

Deleted member 8561

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The fact he ran when Obama repeatedly told him not to, his own campaign workers getting increasingly frustrated with him going against their orders and suggestions.

That's not true unless there is a news article pertaining to 2020 and Obama. He didn't run in 2016.

Obama told him not to run because Biden fucking sucks at campaigning and Obama didn't want Biden to embarrass himself in a state of grief AND go against Clinton just to lose and cause more drama in the primary that wasn't needed.

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
There's a reason all of these dumb gaffes (if you can even call them that) come from right wing sources.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I bet he mentioned Obama's name within seconds before this clip starts, and within seconds after. Just a hunch based on my experiences with soundbite attacks. "YOu didn't build that!" or "Some People did something"
That's a great point. *If* he did, then he was probably thinking about not saying his name too often. I'd like to give the benefit of the doubt there, but I'm still concerned about the frequency of these incidents.

OP
OP
Hierophant

Hierophant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
That's not true unless there is a news article pertaining to 2020 and Obama. He didn't run in 2016.

Obama told him not to run because Biden fucking sucks at campaigning and Obama didn't want Biden to embarrass himself in a state of grief AND go against Clinton just to lose and cause more drama in the primary that wasn't needed.
I replied to your specific part about alzheimers if you didn't see.
Also I was just referring to the CNN source which says it was 2020, my apologies. Every article about it makes reference to 2020.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
People keep citing Obama saying "You don't have to do this Joe". He said this in the context of Biden believing he had an obligation to run to take down Trump.

Anyways I don't know why I'm bothering. People on this board have made up their minds. FTR I'm not big Biden fan (nor am I a US voter) but I feel like the these gaffes are a non-story and as someone else said reek of ageism.

Deleted member 4346

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's a reason all of these dumb gaffes (if you can even call them that) come from right wing sources.

Do you think that Joe Biden, right now, looks like someone who is sharp and clear-minded and focued, who can last for 14 more months of grueling campaigning?

I don't care where this video came from. Biden has looked terrible in public appearances and debates. Age and perhaps grief have taken a severe toll on him.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018

www.nytimes.com

Obama and Biden’s Relationship Looks Rosy. It Wasn’t Always That Simple. (Published 2019)

Their partnership is the stuff of buddy-movie lore, but those who saw it up close described a more difficult, complicated dynamic.
The two men spoke at least a half dozen times before Mr. Biden decided to run, and Mr. Obama took pains to cast his doubts about the campaign in personal terms.

"You don't have to do this, Joe, you really don't," Mr. Obama told Mr. Biden earlier this year, according to a person familiar with the exchange.

Mr. Biden — who thinks he could have defeated Donald Trump four years ago — responded by telling Mr. Obama he could never forgive himself if he turned down a second shot at Mr. Trump.
I mean, one could say he wasn't telling Biden not to run, but it's near enough.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I mean I am making that case because I've seen dementia with my own eyes and this is it with Biden and all his gaffes, I'm dead serious about it. I don't know why America has this fascination with electing senile people to office but it is insane to me that people are willingly brushing his gaffes aside.
Biden has been making speaking errors like this since he got into politics...

Mistakes like this aren't new developments or surprising for Biden.

Deleted member 8561

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I replied to your specific part about alzheimers if you didn't see.
Also I was just referring to the CNN source which says it was 2020.

Obama knows Biden. Biden has a very clear history of losing primaries. It's obvious Obama doesn't want Biden's last hurrah to be a failed primary where he blows a 20 point lead.

Point is, spreading a clear right wing and far left narrative that Biden is currently unfit for office that is designed to deflect against the insane mental issues that Trump has and his clear inability to even talk is something that shouldn't be remotely entertained.

There are lots of reasons to not want Biden in office. His age is definitely one of them. Spreading the idea he has fucking dementia or some similar debilitating mental illness is a clear narrative that has been crafted by his political opponents to drag him down both in the primary and in a possible general election matchup.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas

I simply cannot roll my eyes hard enough at this post.

Biden isn't a good candidate, and he slips up a lot, but maybe leave your conspiracy theories where they belong (like in a trash can soaked in lighter fluid, set ablaze).

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
This is such a non-story. Guess nobody has had their mom's call them every name in the book except for their actual name. These type of things happen.

Ionic

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The only thing I got other than he just can't remember anything is that either he was using Obama dozens of times in his speech and wanted to mix up his language, or he was implying his superior is the united states president, but our current president (and those under him) have a different boss ie, Putin.

Regardless, Biden is the Hillary of this race in that everything he does gets negatively amplified. He's a lightning rod for cheap insults and doesn't have the charisma to dig himself out. This time I'd prefer we just pick one of the other candidates. There are plenty with better policy anyway.

Hubologist

Nov 1, 2017
Just to play Devil's Advocate, he may have been advised not to bring up Obama's name and caught himself mid-sentence.

Deleted member 8561

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
www.nytimes.com

Obama and Biden’s Relationship Looks Rosy. It Wasn’t Always That Simple. (Published 2019)

Their partnership is the stuff of buddy-movie lore, but those who saw it up close described a more difficult, complicated dynamic.

I mean, one could say he wasn't telling Biden not to run, but it's near enough.

As I said, read above regarding why (I believe) Obama has been cold on Biden running.

IE: Biden doesn't represent the Democratic base anymore and is going to get eaten alive by those who do.

This thread is prime case of why this shit spreads and who spreads it. It's filled by the usual people who instantly go to bat saying it's 100% authentic and proves he's not fit, casually ignoring OP grabbed this from right wing media.

Deleted member 15440

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I simply cannot roll my eyes hard enough at this post.

Biden isn't a good candidate, and he slips up a lot, but maybe leave your conspiracy theories where they belong (like in a trash can soaked in lighter fluid, set ablaze).
calling something we can all see happening in real time in the national media a "conspiracy theory" is literally gaslighting

Deleted member 8561

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
calling something we can all see happening in real time in the national media a "conspiracy theory" is literally gaslighting

No it's not. You know who's spreading this shit and you're happy to go to bat with conservatives trying to spread the narrative that Biden is mentally unfit for office.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas

Calling slip ups "dementia" is a fucking conspiracy theory. Period.

I get that it's hip to say things like this, but there are much more valid reasons to take down Joe Biden, like his terrible history, his mediocre platforms, or his commitment to the status quo. Making up stories about dementia is fucking stupid and anyone saying it because of these videos should be embarrassed for themselves.

Mar 9, 2018
We can give Biden the benefit of the doubt for this but not for his other appearances, including at the debates. He is a mumbly mess. Incoherent. Trailing off. He is so weak. I don't see the fire in him his supporters claim he has. And that's because there is no fire. He's aged poorly. I see only ashes of somebody who once was. And to be fair, that somebody who once was wasn't that great in the first place. Sadly, for much of his career, Joe Biden used his fire against progress. Even when he had his wits about him, he voted for things like the Iraq War.

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No it's not. You know who's spreading this shit and you're happy to go to bat with conservatives trying to spread the narrative that Biden is mentally unfit for office.

Kinda reminds me of 2016 when young progressives were helping spread lies about Hillary they probably knew were lies but adopted that 'enemy of my enemy' mentality. R/politics was 100% anti-Hillary conspiracies up until the moment Bernie conceded.

In the same way, I think people here probably know he doesn't really have dementia, but they are pushing it to harm his candidacy anyway. Otherwise, you wouldn't push weak stuff like in the OP if you were a serious person with a sincere concern.

Deleted member 8561

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
if i were to believe conservative conspiracy theories i'd be posting about how biden is a cannibal pedophile, dementia is weak shit at this point

But you're just happy to go along with quarter minute twitter videos and conservative news sources because we all know there is nothing nefarious there.

Deleted member 15440

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Kinda reminds me of 2016 when young progressives were helping spread lies about Hillary they probably knew were lies but adopted that 'enemy of my enemy' mentality. R/politics was 100% anti-Hillary conspiracies up until the moment Bernie conceded.
r/politics is and has been extremely right-wing, those posts weren't coming from "young progressives"

and again the conspiracy theories about hillary were bizarre diseases and hiring assassins, not the actual criticisms the left put forward

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
r/politics is and has been extremely right-wing, those posts weren't coming from "young progressives"

and again the conspiracy theories about hillary were bizarre diseases and hiring assassins, not the actual criticisms the left put forward

r/politics has not been right wing. And certainly not "Extremely." Are you perhaps conflating it with another subreddit? Let's go there right now: https://www.reddit.com/r/politics/

Show me the pro-right threads. They are all praising progressives like AOC and shredding Trump to pieces.

Deleted member 15440

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Joe Biden has been making these speaking mistakes for his entire political career.
his mistakes 10/20/30 years ago were things like saying obama is bright and articulate for a black guy, not flubbing every other word that comes out of his mouth and forgetting where he is and who he worked for the last 8 years

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yall gotta admit that for a seasoned politician like Joe Biden who has run in multiple primaries the New Hampshire Vermont thing was a giant red flag

this concern isn't coming from nowhere and it's not some conspiracy. the dude has not looked sharp, stumbled through the debates, has as many gaffes as campaign stops, so many that his campaign wanted to limit his appearances, so many that his fucking brain surgeon felt the need to put some words out there, so many that Biden himself has had to defend himself as not going nuts. because that's a great sign, when you have to dedicate time on the campaign trail to assure voters that you're not going nuts.

this Obama thing is, in all likelihood, nothing but it's not some large stretch to think it might be part of an already established pattern