• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Ah yeah - fuck democracy. Do what I think is best for everyone! What in the world.... This is how we end up with Trump. I can't believe this is so hard to fucking see for some of you. We need to change peoples minds not fucking tell them whats best. Do you have any idea how ignorant you sound to someone who doesn't agree with you?
I like how the right in this country skips all those steps and goes straight to restricting personal liberties based on fear mongering.

Sean

Oct 25, 2017
Longview
Ah yeah - fuck democracy. Do what I think is best for everyone! What in the world.... This is how we end up with Trump. I can't believe this is so hard to fucking see for some of you. We need to change peoples minds not fucking tell them whats best. Do you have any idea how ignorant you sound to someone who doesn't agree with you?

I don't give a shit dude. I've put up with this shit for over three decades of bending over back for you cowards on a Federal level. I am done. I am not budging an inch.

The center can go fuck itself. I'm from Washington, I've voted hard progressive in every single city, county, and state election we have. We push left here and it works.

JesseEwiak

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Ignore and browbeat the youth vote.

Youth vote lower than historical average.

"But why don't the youth vote??"

If the youth won't turn out to vote because Boomers call them entitled, maybe they are snowflakes.

Which is of course why the Right is winning more than it should - because a super majority of the country can call the Republican base bigoted, racist, sexist assholes and they'll simply flip the bird and vote anyway, while if the Left runs into any resistance at all, they simply sit things out and whine about it.

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
Again I think people are directing their anger at the DNC for no reason.

If they wanted to anoint Diamond Joe, they could have given her the Hillary treatment. They haven't... This is just a wake up call to progressives: The country is more to the center than Twittersphere and the like would have you believe.

oh please, this is about his best buddy connection with obama, as well as biden being a very familiar, friendly face to go along with that whole "i would have a beer with him" sort of mentality.

when it comes to policy, he's very likely to the right of where the country is in some key areas (for example, Medicare for all. Majority support it, he argued against it)

The man could completely trash the hyde amendment and his support wouldn't see a dip at all.

it's currently a popularity contest, along with playing it safe against trump.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017

changing people's mind isn't very effective, change my mind

Driver

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
I don't give a shit dude. I've put up with this shit for over three decades of bending over back for you cowards. I am done. I am not budging an inch.

The center can go fuck itself. I'm from Washington, I've voted hard progressive in every single city, county, and state election we have. We push left here and it works.

Good for you and Washington, Trump is still president so good work!

Biden Campaign Says He ‘Misheard’ Question About Hyde Amendment Last Month
OP
OP
Tracygill

Tracygill

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The Left
Here's the Biden campaign's statement explaining why he told an ACLU activist one month ago that he would repeal the Hyde amendment:

"Biden misheard the woman on the ropeline and thought she was referring to the Mexico City rule, which prevents federal aid money from going to organizations overseas that perform abortions. He supports the repeal of the Mexico City rule because it prevents critical aid from going to organizations even if abortion is a very small fraction of the work they are doing. He has not at this point changed his position on the Hyde Amendment."

It's hard to imagine Biden "misheard" the activist: The words "Hyde amendment" don't sound much like "Mexico City Policy." What the campaign is trying to say is that the candidate "confused" the two policies. It's still odd that the campaign waited two weeks after the Washington Post first reported Biden opposes the Hyde amendment to clean up this gaffe.

Deleted member 15440

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
a clear majority of the country is pro-abortion

we don't need to convince anyone, what we need is to fix our godawful anti-democratic system of government so the actual will of the people can be implemented

JesseEwiak

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Repealing the Hyde amendment was on the Democratic party platform of 2016 and Biden is the only dem presidential candidate who's come out against it.

So I assume at least a simple majority support it in the party.

Sure, but that means there's a large chunk of the party who doesn't support that who will be looking for somebody to vote for in the primary and Uncle Joe being loud about this is signaling to them. Ironically, Biden if he wins the nomination, is going to win off the same voters who supported Hillary in 2008 and Bernie in 2016 in places like West Virginia, Pennsylvania, and Michigan. Ya' know, the people who voted for Sanders, then in polling at those primaries, said the Democratic Party needed to be more moderate.

a clear majority of the country is pro-abortion

we don't need to convince anyone, what we need is to fix our godawful anti-democratic system of government so the actual will of the people can be implemented

A clear majority of the country may be pro-choice, but wary of making people pay for it.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
If the youth won't turn out to vote because Boomers call them entitled, maybe they are snowflakes.

Which is of course why the Right is winning more than it should - because a super majority of the country can call the Republican base bigoted, racist, sexist assholes and they'll simply flip the bird and vote anyway, while if the Left runs into any resistance at all, they simply sit things out and whine about it.
The places the Left is losing is places where arguably the people there are fighting the hardest day after day. They're just outnumbered lol. I mean if you think the problem in states like Georgia and Louisiana is just the left whines and gives up I don't know what to say.

JesseEwiak

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The places the Left is losing is places where arguably the people there are fighting the hardest day after day. They're just outnumbered lol. I mean if you think the problem in states like Georgia and Louisiana is just the left whines and gives up I don't know what to say.

No, I'm talking about the massive drops in turnout in 2010 and 2014 all around the country, including in purple states because Obama didn't magically fix everything, while the GOP did turn out.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And once again, it falls on the people who are oppressed the most that's primarily to blame for every democratic loss. It's pathetic. Some of you are just eager to blame the ones who have their lives in danger than turn around and demand they die for you.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Not sure what saying "you don't believe in democracy" is doing when the only reasons Republicans win some areas is through anti-democratic measures like the person in charge of the election also running for the election or gerrymandering or restricting the right to vote through voter ID laws and making felons not able to vote when the majority of the country does support gun control and LGBT rights etc. Etc.

Nobody is advocating for an enlightened despot here as far as I can tell.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure what saying "you don't believe in democracy" is doing when the only reasons Republican win some areas is through anti-democratic measures like the person in charge of the election also running for the election or gerrymandering or restricting the right to vote through voter ID laws and making felons not able to vote when the majority of the country does support gun control and LGBT rights etc. Etc.

No! No! That can't be why our democracy is failing! It HAS to be the sole fault of the progressives!

/s

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm going to give the moderates some voter suppression in exchange for their vote.

This will surely work out in the long run. Compromise! By giving into their demands and putting them in power to abuse and mistreat the oppressed, we can remove them from power and save the oppressed.

Sean

Oct 25, 2017
Longview
This is exactly the mentality that got Trump elected and it's going to happen again because of stubborn people thinking everyone who disagrees with them is a coward and just as bad a alt right trump supporter. We are fucked.

Nope, we're fucked if we don't take it further left. Stop being part of the problem.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
If we transitioned over to a "pure" democracy overnight and abolished the electoral college, the left would win more.

If we used measures that actually accurately represented populations by using proportional systems and ranked choice voting like many European countries, the left would win more.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
This is exactly the mentality that got Trump elected and it's going to happen again because of stubborn people thinking everyone who disagrees with them is a coward and just as bad a alt right trump supporter. We are fucked.
Trump didn't win because a Democrat from a blue state told another Democrat from a blue that they're not progressive enough. Relax.

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
oh you are fucked, but not because some democrat are mean toward centrist.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Warren or Gillibrand needs to stomp this old fool.

Doesn't look like either of them have a legitimate shot at this point, sadly.

We'll have a better idea of where we stand once people start dropping out... Particularly when someone like Warren drops out- Do they all go to Bernie?

Sadly at this point, I see this as a Biden/Bernie race.

Wracu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope with every fiber of my being that Biden doesn't live to be the nominee. Just die already. And no, I'm not advocating violence against him. I just want him to do what a lot of people his age do. Or Obama to save us from this mess and go all MariahIDon'tKnowHer.gif. As unlikely as that is... Please.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
If we transitioned over to a "pure" democracy overnight and abolished the electoral college, the left would win more.

If we used measures that actually accurately represented populations by using proportional systems and ranked choice voting like many European countries, the left would win more.

How would you abolish the electoral college? Face it progressives unless you start gunning down Republicans in the streets you will never get the electoral college abolished. The right ain't stupid, they know that's how they get to stay in power so they won't just turn over just cause you bitch about it.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Doesn't look like either of them have a legitimate shot at this point, sadly.

We'll have a better idea of where we stand once people start dropping out... Particularly when someone like Warren drops out- Do they all go to Bernie?

Sadly at this point, I see this as a Biden/Bernie race.
Warren is actually gaining in polls.

Warren is by far my favorite candidate but she's also the one I'm probably most worried about for the general.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Ignore and browbeat the youth vote.

Youth vote lower than historical average.

"But why don't the youth vote??"

They're ignored because they don't vote... It doesn't work the way you want it to.

I don't know what to tell you, it's how the system works. Politicians aren't going to take the younger generations seriously until they go out and vote.

Warren is by far my favorite candidate but she's also the one I'm probably most worried about for the general.

I hope so. I originally wanted nothing to do with her, but since she seems to be one of the few candidates with actual, well-reasoned policy she's now the candidate I'm most likely to vote for.

But I do see a situation in which neither Warren nor Bernie can pull ahead because they're siphoning votes from each other, which lets a popular moderate like Biden swoop in and win.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
How would you abolish the electoral college? Face it progressives unless you start gunning down Republicans in the streets you will never get the electoral college abolished. The right ain't stupid, they know that's how they get to stay in power so they won't just turn over just cause you bitch about it.
I wasn't saying it could be abolished.

I'm just saying people who want the country to move left forcefully won't do it by throwing democracy away.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is exactly the mentality that got Trump elected
Questionable.

hiIGd0e.png

It was the death of manufacturing in America that flipped those states, probably not funding for abortion.

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
I 100% hope Bernie wins the Presidency. There are clear points of delineation among the candidates.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Nope, we're fucked if we don't take it further left. Stop being part of the problem.

Okay. How do you propose we do that?

Because right now, a loser moderate (and I say loser because he's done exactly that, multiple times) is leading the field but quite a bit.

Again, I'm not sure the country wants to move as left as this community believes it does.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Hyde Amendment is already in place unfortunately.

A president would need to lead the charge in repealing it.
True. Given that he's been on both sides of this in the last month I doubt he'd veto it if a repeal passed, though.

Then again, he apparently forgot what the Hyde Amendment was when he was on the other side of the issue.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017

Why?

Honestly, she has only gotten better and I've warmed to her a lot. She seems to be making positive in roads as well and has really broken out of her shell and become more relatable / funny / engaging.

I mean we are sexist AF and I think she'll have a slightly harder time than Biden because of that in the GE, but she's got momentum.

She just needs to not get flustered by Trump.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Why?

Honestly, she has only gotten better and I've warmed to her a lot. She seems to be making positive in roads as well and has really broken out of her shell and become more relatable / funny / engaging.

I mean we are sexist AF and I think she'll have a slightly harder time than Biden because of that in the GE, but she's got momentum.

She just needs to not get flustered by Trump.
Why? Because the country is sexist as fuck and it shows up in Warren's favorables(Having the highest unfavorables of the top 10 candidates by far) just as it did in Hillary's favorables and neither were/are charismatic enough to offset that (Harris at least has that going for her). When female candidates make mistakes it costs them twice as much as a male candidate, if not more. I'd certainly prefer President Warren to any of the top 3, though.

Sean

Oct 25, 2017
Longview
Okay. How do you propose we do that?

Because right now, a loser moderate (and I say loser because he's done exactly that, multiple times) is leading the field but quite a bit.

Again, I'm not sure the country wants to move as left as this community believes it does.

Be loud and stop bending over to them, say this is what we want and that they need to come over to us. Stop going to them.

I'm 36. The entire fucking time I've been alive this cowardly country has fucked itself over and continuously given power to the right in the name of compromise and reaching across the aisle. We're tried to get an inch, failed most of the time, and let them take miles.

No more. Our way or bust. I will not compromise or bend anymore.

If you're in the center, you're just part of the fucking problem and continue to let disgusting shit fester because you're okay with everything dying around you because you're comfortable. I will not ever, ever go along with that.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Be loud and stop bending over to them, say this is what we want and that they need to come over to us. Stop going to them.

I'm 36. The entire fucking time I've been alive this cowardly country has fucked itself over and continuously given power to the right in the name of compromise and reaching across the aisle. We're tried to get an inch, failed most of the time, and let them take miles.

No more. Our way or bust. I will not compromise or bend anymore.

If you're in the center, you're just part of the fucking problem and continue to let disgusting shit fester because you're okay with everything dying around you because you're comfortable. I will not ever, ever go along with that.

I appreciate the enthusiasm, and largely agree with you.

But the country just isn't there. If Biden is the candidate, it's between him and Trump. No, I don't particularly like Biden that much at all... But he's better than Trump. By a lot.

Maybe I'm wrong and Warren or Sanders surprise us all, but that doesn't appear to be the case. Particularly in the handful of states that will determine the next election.

Driver

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
Questionable.

It was the death of manufacturing in America that flipped those states, probably not funding for abortion.

I'm referring to the all or nothing mentality of the far left. Hostile keyboard warriors yelling "coward" at people who don't agree with 100% of their stance on every issue. It has a rubber band effect the other way, galvanizing the right.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
From my experience, abortion rights is by far the highest motivating factor for people donating their time to democratic campaigns. I'm sure Biden can still count on their vote, but I'm not so sure he can count on them to go to their neighbor and drag them to the polls too.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm referring to the all or nothing mentality of the far left.
And you think this is why we lost? Supported by what research? Just gut feelings?

www.vox.com

The past year of research has made it very clear: Trump won because of racial resentment

Another study produces the same findings we’ve seen over and over again.

If you wanted to actually pander to Obama-Trump flippers, you would have to throw minorities under the bus, not just cater to abortion types. And of course, if you actually do throw minorities under the bus for "moderate" Republican votes you deserve to be dragged for every bit of it. Do you think caving on abortion can ameliorate the racial animus driving modern politics?

Sean

Oct 25, 2017
Longview
I'm referring to the all or nothing mentality of the far left. Hostile keyboard warriors yelling "coward" at people who don't agree with 100% of their stance on every issue. It has a rubber band effect the other way, galvanizing the right.

Yes, it's "our fault" that people become Nazis, hate the LGBT community and women, are racist trash, and are okay with giving up all their rights to corporations.

Nah, fuck this shit. If you're not part of the left, you're part of the problem.