• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Goat Mimicry

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They're not nominating anyone... The electorate is.

Again, he was leading in the polls months before he even announced his run.

If you want to blame his popularity on the average ignorant American voter... Well, have at it. We have Trump thanks to them, for fucksake. Democracy only works if we have educated voters going to the polls- We clearly do not. It's not some institutional conspiracy or the will of the DNC over the voter (which you could have argued in 2016), it's simply that he has name recognition and support among moderates.

Uh, you couldn't make that argument in 2016 either. Literally everything you said about Biden's popularity applies to Hillary in 2016. There's no conspiracy now and there wasn't one then.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Uh, you couldn't make that argument in 2016 either. Literally everything you said about Biden's popularity applies to Hillary in 2016. There's no conspiracy now and there wasn't one then.

Wrong verbiage, I meant that the DNC had chosen an heir apparent and clearly backed her.

I don't see any evidence of even that this cycle.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal

the more time passes, the more reveals on who Joe Biden really is, the more and more I don't want him to be the nominee.

Previously, I just thought of him as a generic D. But now with all these reveals, he comes off as a small c Conservative who is okay with compromising with Big C Conservatives

Biden is a small c Conservative on the Centre-Right

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Wow. She could represent Dems far better than creepy ol' Joe Biden.

They're not nominating anyone... The electorate is.

I mean, yeah? If you want me to be critical of the Dem primary electorate I am more than willing to be. They sucked back in 2016. I hope this time they are more forward-thinking.

Again, he was leading in the polls months before he even announced his run.

Obama proximity is a hell of a drug.

If you want to blame his popularity on the average ignorant American voter... Well, have at it. We have Trump thanks to them, for fucksake. Democracy only works if we have educated voters going to the polls- We clearly do not. It's not some institutional conspiracy or the will of the DNC over the voter (which you could have argued in 2016), it's simply that he has name recognition and support among moderates.

If Democrats think they can have the Obama years back by electing Biden then they are fools. Simple as that. I won't join them in that madness. The nation has changed in the last 12 years, and it's not just Trump. We can either move forward, address big issues like climate change, wealth inequality, a broken criminal justice system, and the lack of a social safety net/modern infrastructure with bold solutions, or we can creep forward with incrementalism while it all crumbles around us.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Wow. She could represent Dems far better than creepy ol' Joe Biden.

I mean, yeah? If you want me to be critical of the Dem primary electorate I am more than willing to be. They sucked back in 2016. I hope this time they are more forward-thinking.

Obama proximity is a hell of a drug.

If Democrats think they can have the Obama years back by electing Biden then they are fools. Simple as that. I won't join them in that madness. The nation has changed in the last 12 years, and it's not just Trump. We can either move forward, address big issues like climate change, wealth inequality, a broken criminal justice system, and the lack of a social safety net/modern infrastructure with bold solutions, or we can creep forward with incrementalism while it all crumbles around us.

It will likely be the latter, because the concept of climate change can't be grasped by most of the voting public. Adding to that, the largest voting block (the elderly) isn't going to give a shit about issues later on down the line when it will inconvenience them today. This is the vicious cycle- Younger voters don't vote, thus politicians don't cater to them, thus the younger voting block feels disaffected and then they don't vote... On and on it goes. Until people realize how much power we have as a bloc and actually utilize it, we'll be largely ignored.

It sucks, but I've come to accept it.

June 7: Joe Biden reverses his position on the Hyde amendment, now against it
OP
OP
Tracygill

Tracygill

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The Left

Eric Bradner
@ericbradner

Joe Biden reversed his position on the Hyde Amendment moments ago at a DNC gala in Atlanta, saying that "if I believe health care is a right as I do, I can no longer support an amendment that makes that right dependent" on a woman's income.

Jun 7, 2019

Last edited:

Tukarrs

Oct 27, 2017
"I've been struggling with the problems that Hyde now presents," Biden said, opening a speech dedicated mostly to voting rights and issues important to the black community.

"I want to be clear: I make no apologies for my last position. I make no apologies for what I'm about to say," he explained, arguing that "circumstances have changed" with Republican-run states — including Georgia, where Biden spoke — adopting new, severe restrictions on abortion.
The problem it presents for Biden is that it's wildly unpopular. He makes no apologies for it though.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
Title updated per OP's request.

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I guess maybe the takeaway is that pressure on Biden from the left can succeed, at least on social issues? I still don't want this dude.

Pretty much where I'm at. I'm all for moving candidates left, but we already have good candidates exactly where they need to be in that regard, as the latest Warren video in this topic has proven.

Oct 27, 2017
You know (unpopular hot take incoming), maybe Joe Biden winning the nomination and Presidency isn't the worst thing in the world?

Whoever wins is going to be saddled with the incoming Recession thats gonna hit in a couple of years, and will spend most of their time picking up the pieces of the Trump administration. People will obviously be frustrated with the economy and "lack of progress". So as much as Warren is my number 1 pick, maybe her not going down in history as a 'failure' of a President and letting Biden hold that L will keep the progressive wing of the party chomping at the bit to get someone like AOC in the White House.

Because if Warren wins now and has a "failed" Presidency, that makes a like-minded progressive like AOC's chances in 2028 much worse, as people will (inaccurately) hold Warren's time in office as a testament to her school of thought leading to poor results. I feel like 2028 will be a time where (hopefully) the country and economy have rebounded somewhat from where we are.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
You know (unpopular hot take incoming), maybe Joe Biden winning the nomination and Presidency isn't the worst thing in the world?

Whoever wins is going to be saddled with the incoming Recession thats gonna hit in a couple of years, and will spend most of their time picking up the pieces of the Trump administration. People will obviously be frustrated with the economy and "lack of progress". So as much as Warren is my number 1 pick, maybe her not going down in history as a 'failure' of a President and letting Biden hold that L will keep the progressive wing of the party chomping at the bit to get someone like AOC in the White House.

Because if Warren wins now and has a "failed" Presidency, that makes a like-minded progressive like AOC's chances in 2028 much worse, as people will (inaccurately) hold Warren's time in office as a testament to her school of thought leading to poor results. I feel like 2028 will be a time where (hopefully) the country and economy have rebounded somewhat from where we are.

I'm all for Biden over Warren but not wanting Warren to win due to fear of failure is some bullshit.

Deleted member 47942

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 20, 2018
I feel Biden should've stuck to his guns a little more even if I disagree with his previous policy position. The ease in which he caved is going to be red meat for the right-wingers and goes against his appeal as the moderate.

By the time the primaries are over, he's going to be right along next to Gillibrand changing positions based on who they're talking to.

OP
OP
Tracygill

Tracygill

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The Left

POLITICO
@politico
An example: Elizabeth Warren says she doesn't like the Hyde Amendment—but she's voted for it. It was part of a bill that funded a big chunk of the government last year.
Ia31hU3.jpg

POLITICO
@politico
Michael Bennet, Cory Booker, Kirsten Gillibrand, Kamala Harris, Amy Klobuchar, and Beto O'Rourke, Eric Swalwell and others voted in favor of that bill, too.

Bernie Sanders voted no. More in Playbook:
BC15rYz.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
I'm all for Biden over Warren but not wanting Warren to win due to fear of failure is some bullshit.
lol, it's not fear. The recession is coming and you're naive if you think the next President is not gonna be saddled with feelings of disappointment/obstruction.

We had a prelude to that with Obama, and he thought working together was the best solution (which we saw failed him, sadly). This time is going to be much worse, due to the current level of political discourse. This is just the state of things.

I'm in my bargaining phase

BGA

Oct 26, 2017
I REALLY don't want him being the nominee. He's worse than expected on policy.

RoninZ

Oct 27, 2017
Lord I really hope Biden doesn't win because there are better candidates than him running

Byakuya769

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Pathetic. Back in my day you'd argue like hell about conservative, anti-Roe judicial nominees but then you'd vote for them anyway. I miss those days.

kadotsu

Oct 25, 2017
Look how much he wants it! Same energy as Harris. Unfortunatelly, not the same numbers.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You Americans need a 3rd political party more than ever
We very much do not. The thing about "I want a third party" is that no one will ever agree on what that third party should represent, because they all want different things. Do you want a libertarian party? A populist herrevolk party? Both of those things are unrepresented by the Dems and GOP but are totally opposite worldviews.

And when you do get fractured parties, it's going to generally hurt the left much more than the right for the reason you see play out in this brand study- https://hbr.org/2018/06/how-liberals-and-conservatives-shop-differently Liberal shoppers prioritize self expression, Conservative shoppers prioritize expression of status. Swap shopping for voting, and you get a prioritization which quickly explains the political asymmetry- someone who most highly values status dominance is much more likely to stay in line and vote for the "winning team" promising a maintenance of white straight male political/cultural dominance than someone who highly values personal expression.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
Already flipping. FFS I hope the debates dramatically shift the course, this guy is clueless.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018

Eric Bradner
@ericbradner

Joe Biden reversed his position on the Hyde Amendment moments ago at a DNC gala in Atlanta, saying that "if I believe health care is a right as I do, I can no longer support an amendment that makes that right dependent" on a woman's income.

Jun 7, 2019

"If I believe the Presidency is my right, as I do, I can no longer support a position that makes me less popular."

Dude Abides

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Assad did gas his own people. The Syrian airforce was responsible for the Khan Shaykun chemical attack, which killed 89 people.
and John Bolton is definitely worthy of complaining about.
No irony there.

Guess which other middle eastern dictator we constantly heard about gassing his own people in an attempt to justify stupid foreign policy decisions?

Madison

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lima, Peru
Lmao flipping before the debate

I wonder if the people defending the gross harasser in this thread for supporting thr ammendment will try to spin this change as a win