• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

_Karooo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Politics is shitty but we gotta do what we gotta do. It's not like Republicans didn't keep smearing Manchin all the time but people of WV still vote for him.

Manchin probably won't get an opportunity to cast a decisive vote again so that means his seat is safe for a long time. But Dems should know that he is there like a silent guardian and watchful protector. A blue knight in red armour.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Politics is always a game. Imagine an alternate reality where Manchin has a history of making his irrelevant votes blue in order to not look gross to liberals.

West Virginia is a deeply red state, so in this reality, Manchin wouldn't be in the senate. His district would instead be represented by a hard-red republican who votes republican party line 100% of the time when it matters. So, for instance, the ACA repeal would have passed. I'm sure all those Americans who lost their health care thanks to his lack of influence will be completely understanding that political gaming mattered more to him than their lives.

Was there a recent repeal attempt for the ACA? I thought the last repeal was in 2017.

Oh they have a solution.

They literally say they would have principle > seat

So they would just nominate an actual liberal, lose the seat, then claim moral superiority over "at least trying!!!"

Again, glad the women who will suffer by having a rapist in the Supreme Court to you is apparently "being too principled".

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh they have a solution.

They literally say they would have principle > seat

So they would just nominate an actual liberal, lose the seat, then claim moral superiority over "at least trying!!!"
"We should primary him with someone who will lose the state" is the only alternative lmao

That's how you know a person is far more privileged and selfish than those they claim to be working on behalf of.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Was there a recent repeal attempt for the ACA? I thought the last repeal was in 2017.

Again, glad the women who will suffer by having a rapist in the Supreme Court is apparently "being too principled".

Basically everything you've said in this thread is just wrong, projecting views onto posters you reply to or just writing bullshit moral arguments that don't actually stand up to the reality of the situations you're describing.

So I'm not sure how many people need to tell you that his vote didn't matter due to there not having two GOP Senators defecting which is what was needed to break any tie-breaker. That's the reality, and your alternative is literally having an (R) in the seat who would have voted "Yes" with no hesitation.

The last repeal was in 2017, that was when he voted no and McCain was the deciding GOP flip to kill the repeal.

Aaron

Iā€™m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
"Sanders won the West Virginia primary" is a bit of a misnomer considering 39% of his primary voters in West Virginia said they'd support Donald Trump in the general election, even if Bernie Sanders was the nominee. Claiming his victory in the primary there speaks to his appeal to West Virginia voters is extremely disingenuous at worst, and shallow at best.

A convicted felon still serving out a prison sentence in Texas got 41% of the vote to Obama's 59% in 2012. It's just not a very good pulse check for Democratic politics.

As far as asking what Manchin's vote has ever done for the Democrats, it should be pointed out that for how much recognition McCain, Collins and Murkowski got for "saving" the Affordable Care Act, Manchin's vote was literally never in question. Pretty much any Senate vote where Trump's been on the losing end by one vote, Manchin's voted with the good guys. Of course, with a Republican majority that's not terribly frequent, but it's not any less true.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
It's kind of amazing how Manchin's cynical, empty posturing to Republicans manages to convince West Virginia to vote for him and also convinces liberals that he's their sworn enemy instead of a necessary evil in a shitty system. Like poli sci 101 isn't even required to understand why he takes the actions he does politically.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
Political ideology clashing against political reality has never been as sharp as it is when liberals discuss Joe Manchin's seat. Forest and trees and all that.

Deleted member 8561

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's kind of amazing how Manchin's cynical, empty posturing to Republicans manages to convince West Virginia to vote for him and also convinces liberals that he's their sworn enemy instead of a necessary evil in a shitty system. Like poli sci 101 isn't even required to understand why he takes the actions he does politically.

Which is why nuking the filibuster is a no brainer when the opposing party spends seven years trying to repeal a healthcare bill, offer no replacement, and in the face of having a trifecta can't even repeal the same bill. The party is just "own the libs" at this point, they don't have any ideas other than trying to dismantle progress already put forward.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Promoting rape apologia and helping to doom the social safety net for decades is actually a good thing provided you aren't the one unilaterally responsible.
It isn't a good thing. But it's either we take a shitty dude who votes with Dems in actual tiebreaker scenarios or we have someone who never votes Dem.

The choice is really really easy.

Edit: also manchin has nothing to do with dooming the social safety net

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
y'all have a problem with vest virginians, not joe manchin. hes been sneaking in left leaning shit against the will of his constituents for a while, which to be honest is really shitty for a politician to do lol

Deleted member 8561

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
y'all have a problem with vest virginians, not joe manchin, hes been sneaking in left leaning shit against the will of his constituents for a while, which to be honest is really shitty for a politician to do lol

Which is why Helio's complaint about "mixed signals" is even more funny, because if anything he's just raising smoke screens for his own racist constituents to ignore his voting record.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Promoting rape apologia and helping to doom the social safety net for decades is actually a good thing provided you aren't the one unilaterally responsible.
I mean, if you also end up being the one to unilaterally save such programs?

The ACA would be dead without Munchin. That's worth him casting votes we don't like but that don't actually make a difference.

Deleted member 8561

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
User banned (1 week): trolling and antagonizing other users
A House member stupidly notates "present" on a political vote for the Amenian Genocide: "PRIMARY HERRRRR"

Blue dog Joe votes conservative an uncomfortable amount of times: "Hes necessary!"

Ohhhhh, Legacyzero going full genocide denialist apologist

It's a bold move

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, if you also end up being the one to unilaterally save such programs?

The ACA would be dead without Munchin. That's worth him casting votes we don't like but that don't actually make a difference.

I'm sorry but you can't say one matters and the other doesn't when both are vital. I should be allowed to complain about his voting for a rapist to the Supreme Court if you all keep bringing up this time when he's on our side.

Wafflinson

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
He votes with Dems when it really matter and with the GOP when it doesn't.

Way better than the alternative.

I am in Idaho. I would vote for someone like him in a heartbeat as the alternative is someone who votes GOP 100% of the time.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
A House member stupidly notates "present" on a political vote for the Amenian Genocide: "PRIMARY HERRRRR"

Blue dog Joe votes conservative an uncomfortable amount of times: "Hes necessary!"

Omar's vote was dumb, but I recall only one or two posters suggesting an idiotic primary challenge. Omar's seat is also 100% safe as blue, she had no reason to vote "present" other than her own dumb persona rationale. What are you on about?

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I'm sorry but you can't say one matters and the other doesn't when both are vital. I should be allowed to complain about his voting for a rapist to the Supreme Court if you all keep bringing up this time when he's on our side.
Yes. You are allowed to complain about it. I do. The thing is he had no actual power in Kavanaugh's appointment.

How do you still not understand this

It's not like it was 49-50 y/n and he would be the deciding factor

Deleted member 8561

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Your entire argument rests on the assumption you have that his vote was critical in sending Kavanaugh to the SC

It wasn't.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

So a meaningless vote for Kavanaugh that changed literally nothing is as important as a deciding vote to save Obamacare?

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017

How many times must it be explained to you for you to understand? Manchin's vote wouldn't have changed anything. And, had he made some utterly pointless symbolic gesture then he'd likely have lost his seat and you'd have a hard R in that seat now.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Of course I can. Manchin's vote for or against Kavanaugh would not have changed the reality that Kavanaugh was getting on the SC. Manchin voting for the ACA actually did save the ACA.

I see a huge difference between votes that have an effect and votes that don't.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Of course I can. Manchin's vote for or against Kavanaugh would not have changed the reality that Kavanaugh was getting on the SC. Manchin voting for the ACA actually did save the ACA.

I see a huge difference between votes that have an effect and votes that don't.
I think that poster is under the impression that Senate votes are blind and nobody has any idea what anyone else is voting for. (And also that Collins' conference didn't happen)

That's the only way this rationale makes sense.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
Have you all not noticed that all politics are national now, not local?

Manchin is one of the few remaining holdouts from a time when you can ascend party allegiance by being portrayed as the hero of a coal mine collapse, but on a national level every time he acts like a republican he gives a huge amount of cover to the Republican Party and does huge damage to the Democratic Party.

You all get mad at people using a resetera account as a platform to tell the nation to not vote Democrat, but Manchin is telling the nation to vote for trump from the platform of a democratic senator.

I think there's a very good case for a republican to hold that seat instead to be the greater good here to remove that platform from existence.

Ponn

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Oh no I pissed off the centrists what will I došŸ˜†

if ERA gave half a shit about Florida losing their long held seat to Voldemort because the DNC abandoned him as much as they love defending Manchin I might give half a shit what people compromising their morals to vote for rapists think.