• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017

@25:50

Thought that was interesting news. As so far we didn't really knew how much was gamepass and how much sales.
Last August we got the last update in players. That was 5 million after 3 million in April. No idea what the total players are now.

Also some interesting stuff about how the game is sustained without MTX still after a year of release. I mean makes sense. But just shows that alot of focus is on services at MS.

@20:33

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Honestly, Game Pass was one of the best things to happen to this game. Me and a few friends wouldn't have even bothered to check it out at launch and continue playing for a few more months without it.

Xbox Game Pass is going to be so huge next gen.

Deleted member 43077

User requested account closure
Banned
May 9, 2018
The one game where I am excited to see the MTX because the game has been supported in a great way and continues to be without them + I want a pet.

Adam802

Banned
Feb 12, 2018
Glad to see this game go on to succeed despite the naysayers at launch. Excited for the arena update.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Game has turned around, I'll jump back in after the anniversary update which looks to add a boatload of new content. Not played it since launch last year, feels like now is the time.

Still a little dissatisfied with the poor melee/gun combat, though I know theyve made tweaks, but it still looks simplistic and unsatisfying.

I'll check it out soon enough.

PinballRJ

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting, although I'm 50/50 with gamepass also I'll buy the next halo and Forza but I'll use gamepass for stuff like gears 5 and Crackdown

Startropper

Oct 25, 2017
Will probably see a large popularity spike when anniversary update hits. I suspect arena will be popular with twitch streamers.

SOT could become MS most successful exclusive this gen.

Deleted member 1607

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't surprise me that people that bought it are dedicated to playing it still. I keep meaning to go back to it but I have no time.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
are the expansions on gamepass or do you have to buy them, much like you have to buy ODST if you want to play it even tho MCC is on gamepass?

Yukinari

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Danger Zone
And from my experience tons of the players arent even american.

Ive run into italians, french, spanish etc. Wish i could select a region to play in.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
are the expansions on gamepass or do you have to buy them, much like you have to buy ODST if you want to play it even tho MCC is on gamepass?

All the expansions have been free updates to the game. There isn't any paid DLC/mtx. Pets (mtx) are coming at some point this year and will be the first paid extra content. They're like pets in WoW. Just cosmetic things that follow you around.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
All the updates to the game so far have been free.
All the expansions have been free updates to the game. There isn't any paid DLC/mtx. Pets (mtx) are coming at some point this year and will be the first paid extra content. They're like pets in WoW. Just cosmetic things that follow you around.

nice. Theres no single player at all tho right? In fact you cant even play it without XBLG right?

WaffleTaco

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I couldn't play this for more then 10 minutes. I don't understand the appeal.

Sydle

Oct 27, 2017
I bought it outright, but that was before I subscribed to Gamepass.

Does anyone know if this is Rare's biggest hit since being bought by MS? Maybe Kinect Sports sold more? They seem to be doing really well now and I'm excited for what they're doing with Sea of Thieves over the next year or two and what they have going on with a new IP.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
I couldn't play this for more then 10 minutes. I don't understand the appeal.

It's not for everyone. I love 'make your own adventure' type of games. I think the April 30th update will be a nice moment to look at the game again. It will add a competitive mode to the game. And the adventure mode will receive a story mode update.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed my time with it when I had gamepass for a few months. Game is gorgeous and when you just set off without concern for getting loot or fighting it becomes super chill.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I remember when I finally got fiber internet in my apartment, the guy who was here from AT&T randomly started talking with me about Sea of Thieves. He went on about for like 10 minutes on how best to complete the skull fortress thing (you gotta keep one guy in the boat as a lookout and manning a cannon apparently) and how he played every night.

When I told him I play it because I had Game Pass, he was like "I didn't even know about that stuff" but I guess he was cool with buying it since he liked it so much because it didn't really seem to phase him. Just seemed weird to me for him to be so into the game and not know about the 1st part Game Pass thing. Guess I have a hard time remembering that Era =/= most other people sometimes.

WaffleTaco

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's not for everyone. I love 'make your own adventure' type of games. I think the April 30th update will be a nice moment to look at the game again. It will add a competitive mode to the game. And the adventure mode will receive a story mode update.
I think my issue was that I had no idea what to do lol

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Does anyone know if this is Rare's biggest hit since being bought by MS? Maybe Kinect Sports sold more? They seem to be doing really well now and I'm excited for what they're doing with Sea of Thieves over the next year or two and what they have going on with a new IP.

While I believe that Kinect Sports sold a lot, SoT is is definitely more successful with helping with GamePass. Add to it that they've developed a strong community that will stay with the game for years, I would say that SoT is the more successful game.

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon

I was always under the impression that Kinect Sports was their biggest selling game under MS, but I think SoT might possibly be their best selling non-Kinect game under MS. But I could be totally wrong.

We don't have any concrete sales numbers for SoT, but we do know that Perfect Dark Zero and Viva Piñata both sold about a million. With the amount of players SoT has had and the nature of the game being a GaaS that is very streamer-friendly, I imagine it must've sold at least a million by now, no?

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
I was always under the impression that Kinect Sports was their biggest selling game under MS, but I think SoT might possibly be their best selling non-Kinect game under MS. But I could be totally wrong.

We don't have any concrete sales numbers for SoT, but we do know that Perfect Dark Zero and Viva Piñata both sold about a million. With the amount of players SoT has had and the nature of the game being a GaaS that is very streamer-friendly, I imagine it must've sold at least a million by now, no?
As mentioned in the OP, we know there had been 5 million users by last August. With the random resurgence the game had in the 2nd half of last year, it wouldn't be surprising to expect that number to have jumped a bit after that too. It's not clear whether Joe Neate saying it's 50/50 gamepass means that OF CURRENT PLAYERS, 50% bought it outright or that 50% of ALL players bought it outright. I would assume the former, which means we can conclude a lot less about general sales for better or worse. All that said, yes, we can almost definitely assume it has sold far more than a million copies.

Dec 11, 2017
The combat has changed, though. They changed damage values on guns, bullet drop off, knockback, stuns, reload and weapon switching delays, sword combos, and most importantly removed exploits. Maybe you still won't like it, but it's not the same as it was.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
Glad to see this game go on to succeed despite the naysayers at launch. Excited for the arena update.

Game wasn't full of content at launch. Games like destiny and anthem received the same critique. Played through the insider program and into release and it wasn't really naysaying to not delude yourself into thinking otherwise. Hopefully, it was motivation for them to keep pushing out their updates. Still not my top game, but downloaded it on gamepass and there's clearly been a lot of improvements for the better. Just hard to find time between ac odyssey lol.

That said, gamepass really helps to make it possible to jump in and see what they've added. I'd suggest people give it a try.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Era is wrong about so many things. It's always good to do your own research.

I mean it was never a bomb. If they hit 2m players within a week. Gamepass or not. Like Neate explained also in the vid.
There are alot of metrics for a game and even more a MS game now of a game is a success or not.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I tried it with Game Pass on PC and it was an incredible experience to discover the game with three friends. We had no idea what the fuck was happening on boat and must have encountered all the sea events in one trip.