• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

WaluigiTime

Oct 27, 2017
Good Burger
Joe Pera Talks with You is the most bizarre show on Adult Swim, it is ridiculously funny and touching. Recently I have been noticing it picking up some popularity on Twitter and wanted to spread the word some more.

If you only watch one episode I'd say this is the best one although every episode of this short series is great.

http://www.adultswim.com/videos/joe-pera-talks-with-you/joe-pera-reads-you-the-church-announcements/

joe-pera-yooper.png

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Legit amazing show. Totally caught me off-guard and took me by surprise. Most of Adult Swim's live action output is terrible garbage that couldn't be less in-line with things I find funny. Not this.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was actually debating making a post about this show but I didn't think I could sell how much I love it. Its like you took Mr Rogers Neighborhood but aimed at adults combined with an ASMR video with Mitch Hedberg styled quips and humor. Yet it is also a profoundly powerful that can captuire moments of pure humanity in the seemingly most mundane of observations or everyday of events. There are episodes that I found to be insightful and touching in a way that almost seems on accident but there are too many of them that are too well presented and focused that I can seriously think that. I think I can safely say its one of the most sincere and heartfelt shows on TV right now that makes actual drama shows that are far longer, complex and expensive look absolutely hollow.

Seriously, Joe Pera talks with you is one of the most brilliant and earnest new shows on TV and something out of left field even for Adult Swim. If you want to know what I'm talking abuot check out the episoes Joe Pera Takes You For a Fall Drive where Joe takes you on a yearly pilgrimage to send off his yearly Jack O'Lantern our proper and regrow his soul back. That or the episode called Joe Pera Reads You The Church Annoucements and witness the recreation of a feeling you get when you find the "perfect" song that speaks to you on a level that only happens a few times or your life and then trying to exprses that to others.

Edit: I almost forgot to go on about how damn funny it is. The humor is often incredibly dead pan and understated to the point you might even miss some of the jokes. However there are so many little moments of humor sprinkled through out and they work so well whether it was the reactions of a crowd to fireworks or Joe constantly running his car into a snow drift as he tries to leave a parking lot.

Ripcord

Oct 30, 2017
The first time Joe Pera talks you to sleep came on my TV I thought it was kinda funny, but couldn't stop watching it. So glad it got picked up for a series and didn't stay in specials long. It's one of my favs.

andrew

Oct 25, 2017
this show is so good. I should watch it through again.

Very divisive though. If it's on your wavelength it's VERY on your wavelength. But the couple people I've shown it to have hated it.

andrew

Oct 25, 2017
I agree! I get hating other [AS] stuff as it's confrontational, but Joe Pera being so off-putting to the people I've shown it to hasn't made sense to me. I couldn't really get at why, I asked why it was so annoying to them when it's such a nice low-energy thing and they couldn't explain.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just finished it after discovering his sleep videos. This was such a wholesome wonderful show. Its honestly one of the most beautiful things ive ever seen. The fall drive episode made me weirdly emotional and i could not tell you why. Sorry for the necro bump

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was actually debating making a post about this show but I didn't think I could sell how much I love it. Its like you took Mr Rogers Neighborhood but aimed at adults combined with an ASMR video with Mitch Hedberg styled quips and humor. Yet it is also a profoundly powerful that can captuire moments of pure humanity in the seemingly most mundane of observations or everyday of events. There are episodes that I found to be insightful and touching in a way that almost seems on accident but there are too many of them that are too well presented and focused that I can seriously think that. I think I can safely say its one of the most sincere and heartfelt shows on TV right now that makes actual drama shows that are far longer, complex and expensive look absolutely hollow.

Seriously, Joe Pera talks with you is one of the most brilliant and earnest new shows on TV and something out of left field even for Adult Swim. If you want to know what I'm talking abuot check out the episoes Joe Pera Takes You For a Fall Drive where Joe takes you on a yearly pilgrimage to send off his yearly Jack O'Lantern our proper and regrow his soul back. That or the episode called Joe Pera Reads You The Church Annoucements and witness the recreation of a feeling you get when you find the "perfect" song that speaks to you on a level that only happens a few times or your life and then trying to exprses that to others.

Edit: I almost forgot to go on about how damn funny it is. The humor is often incredibly dead pan and understated to the point you might even miss some of the jokes. However there are so many little moments of humor sprinkled through out and they work so well whether it was the reactions of a crowd to fireworks or Joe constantly running his car into a snow drift as he tries to leave a parking lot.

The humor is sparse but when its used its understated and effective. Linda ( i think that was her name) saying "hi joe, don't come over here please" was just profoundly funny. The comedic timing of her husband is pretty solid too. The whole romantic arc with sarah was really sweet and im glad it didn't seem forced. They are just too akward humans who are really 85 year olds in 30 something yr old bodies. I had a big smile on my face at the end of the winter sports episode

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The first four episodes of season 2 have aired.

Everyone is sleeping on one of the best shows on tv.

It's like Review With Forrest MacNeil all over again in that it's very good, very clever, very funny and very ignored. Please watch these two shows.

Last edited:

Pepito

Dec 11, 2017
I was worried there would be an overall negative reaction to this interview - he was a little less talkative than usual, and it seemed a bit difficult to come up with responses off the cuff - but I loved seeing him be on a major nationally televised show.

I then proceeded to rewatch everything I could find featuring Joe Pera.
Here's a great interview he did a few years ago in time for the holidays.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm watching the second season now and its just wonderfully charming and relaxing as the original. It revels in the mundane moments of life and treats them with as much respect and profundity as most fiction would focus on the most dramatic and intense events. The small little insightful anecdotes, the awkward but sincere minor interactions and just the earnest way it deals with something as appreciating and growing beans. Fucking beans! Oh and its just sweet and funny as ever, Joe is a fucking treasure. Now lets see those caves!

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't think he'd have enough for ice cream but BAM, 2-for-1 Alfredo sauce. What a twist!

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This show knows just how to be the right amount of heavy if it needs to be. This last episode just further proved why its my favorite show on television right now. I was happy joe was able to get his ice cream.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
I figured the Melskys were in a failing marriage but that fell apart quicker than I would've guessed. He deserves it after the whole chicken-bones-in-the-shower thing.

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This show knows just how to be the right amount of heavy if it needs to be. This last episode just further proved why its my favorite show on television right now. I was happy joe was able to get his ice cream.

this show is spectacular. the beat from Carlos turning serious and then dropping "I wanted to give her one of mine but the doctors said they were too big" is just perfect, it's the hardest i've laughed in years. the balance between somber and funny they pull of is masterful, i love it

Handicapped Duck

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
Only episode I saw was Joe Pera Talks You to Sleep and I enjoyed it a lot. It is oddly calming and relaxing listening to him talk about the most random subjects and yet somehow he holds my attention. I need to get around to watching the rest.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I figured the Melskys were in a failing marriage but that fell apart quicker than I would've guessed. He deserves it after the whole chicken-bones-in-the-shower thing.
The insert in the credits of the ice cream episode was hilarious. I wish I could explain this show to people in meatspace.

May 10, 2019
I honestly don't know why exactly but the episode Joe Pera Talks You Back To Sleep is one of my favorites but the show is so good with it's innocence/humor/writing.

thumb-2_image-15278660428091.jpg

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Only episode I saw was Joe Pera Talks You to Sleep and I enjoyed it a lot. It is oddly calming and relaxing listening to him talk about the most random subjects and yet somehow he holds my attention. I need to get around to watching the rest.

Honestly I wish I could be as appreciative of the tiny moments and the mundane parts of life as Joe appears to be. His sincere satisfaction over things most people, myself included, barely think about or even go out of our way to bypass because of how boring or common they are and seemingly in our way of enjoying more overtly pleasurable or exciting parts of life.

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly don't know why exactly but the episode Joe Pera Talks You Back To Sleep is one of my favorites but the show is so good with it's innocence/humor/writing.

thumb-2_image-15278660428091.jpg
that reminds me, i noticed the clock in that shot is timed almost perfectly with the runtime of the show. it's a small detail but it really impressed me

Jersey_Tom

Banned
Dec 2, 2017
The two most recent episodes have been really something.

This show can be really deep and cause you to be reflective in your own life. Joe's dealing with his neighbors most recently hit pretty close for me personally and some people I know.

If there was one theme this show really hammers home, it's about looking outside yourself and viewing the world as the minor miracle that it is, while also at times appreciating the small personal victories we achieve. Be that discovering new music or having just enough extra money for a couple of scoops of ice cream.

God I love this show.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This week's newest eps are up on Adult Swim for free even if you don't have a cable provider. I think they do this as a sneak premiere every Friday for like 24 hours.

Just watched "Gives You Piano Lessons" and my god, this season is on another level.

FYI, this brings us to 8 of 14 episodes in the second season. I'm certain at least one of those is another double-length episode.

Why don't we have an OT for this show?

Last edited:

Lotto

Oct 28, 2017
Earth
it's honestly the least stressful/most relaxing show i've ever watched. i hate to use the term ASMR but this is literally visual/auditory ASMR to me. whatever worries i'd have, i could watch this and transport myself to a state of hakuna matata

Oct 25, 2017
loved that they didn't spoil the latest episodes at all on official listings. i ran through a few tissues throughout the viewing

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Episode 9 marks a seachange in this show.

It's incredibly effective because of the expectations the show has established for what it is.

But in rewatching the whole series up to now recently, it's clear that Season 2 was already a big evolution from the start.
It's anxiety.

A new element for Joe Pera Talks With You and totally counter to what we typically love about it.

EDIT - Just watched Episode 10

Wow, perfect follow up! This show is so consistently strong!
When Sarah Talks With You it feels like a true fourth wall break in a way that it doesn't when Joe does it. It's a fascinatingly jarring feeling. I love how Sarah is so stressed out all the time and the first thing she thinks to talk about is how you can eat lawn grass to survive lol.

Last edited: