• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
Link

Throughout his first full year streaming exclusively on Spotify, host Joe Rogan has repeatedly used his podcast to broadcast conspiracy theories, COVID-19 misinformation, and anti-trans rhetoric to millions of listeners across the globe. One year into his contract, it's clear that Spotify's $100 million paycheck to Rogan is funding increasingly dangerous and bigoted content.

Media Matters monitored over 350 hours of The Joe Rogan Experience over the past year and found that the show is grounded in misinformation and bigotry. To coincide with Spotify's 2021 Wrapped -- an annual summary of the trends on the streaming platform -- we compiled some of the worst examples of Rogan's sexist, racist, and harmful commentary over the past year -- all paid for by Spotify.

Rogan is a veritable megaphone of right-wing lies, and when he is called out for peddling dangerous rhetoric, he shields himself from any accountability by claiming he should not be considered a "respected source of information." He has also repeatedly praised Spotify for being a safe space for him as the platform has refused to do anything to quell the misinformation and hate on his show; Rogan once told a guest that anti-trans attacks are acceptable on his show, saying, "You can say whatever you want. We're on Spotify."

More at the link above. Remember when people used to shout how he's not racist? Then when shown facts, they'd switch to "I only really listen to him for the guests". Good times.

Also Rogan not even two weeks ago:
Spotify's Joe Rogan claims the Democratic establishment will "kill people on purpose that are causing problems"

Rogan: "You have this organization that's based on this sort of cronyism and Nancy Pelosi is the head witch"

Lock if old.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
He went beyond nuts when he moved to Texas.

He was always out there, but the Texas move and COVID mushed his brain even more.

OP
OP
UnpopularBlargh
Oct 26, 2017
Misinformation? Kind of like the whole horse paste thing?
Nope. Goes beyond that. It's all in the article.

Example:
On July 20, Rogan promoted the right-wing lie that the government was planning to monitor private citizens' text messages for anti-vaccine misinformation, saying, "Have you seen the new thing about SMS text messages to stop COVID vaccine misinformation? ... Saagar [Enjeti] from Breaking Points sent me this. We were talking about this recently. They are monitoring SMS texts for dangerous misinformation about COVID vaccines."
On August 12, Rogan promoted the baseless right-wing narrative fearmongering that immigrants crossing the U.S.-Mexico border were causing a surge in COVID-19 cases, saying, "They are letting in -- so Greg Abbott, the governor, the great governor of the state of Texas, was correct -- they are letting in thousands and thousands of people who are positive with COVID."

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
I mean, you go back. 10, 15.... 50 years back.

It's crazy out there.
112921_Heidecker_Joe_Rogan.2e16d0ba.fill-735x490.png

Dec 2, 2017
Someone in a seminar in university the other day was going on about how joe rogan was 'honest information not filtered' and I was like lol no.

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Jun 17, 2018
Dumb fucker. Reading that list it's impossible to come away with any other take. He's a dumb fucker. To put it in words he would understand, "you've been held back in learning because you've applied the wrong kind of thinking to things." Which is sure as fuck not the definition for his ableist slurs, but is a mighty fine approximation of his brain rot.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
Love to see how Spotify is using all that money that they steal from recording artists!

Avik-G

alt account
Banned
Jul 27, 2021
I swear Rogan pretty much got himself radicalized by inviting shitbags repeatedly. He was never a "good" dude but a long while ago his show was mostly just a dumb shit stoner podcast with the odd interesting guest.

Slowly over the last 2-3 years he has become pretty much a toxic shitbag like the people he hangs out with and invites to his shows.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I swear Rogan pretty much got himself radicalized by inviting shitbags repeatedly. He was never a "good" dude but a long while ago his show was mostly just a dumb shit stoner podcast with the odd interesting guest.

Slowly over the last 2-3 years he has become pretty much a toxic shitbag like the people he hangs out with and invites to his shows.
Man years ago, I used to like watching him smoke weed with scientists then talk about crazy and complex concepts. I honestly thought that was his ceiling. Then he started platforming everyone and adopted the "just asking questions" defense to deflect criticism, got on that free speech shit, and went off the right-wing fucking deep end.

I feel like Ordell in Jackie Brown when he killed Louis. "What the fuck happened to you, Joe, yo ass used to be beautiful."

But he is best buddies with Dana White who is best buddies with Donald Trump, at step one I should have judged him from the company he kept.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017

For such a "freethinker", he barely has visible liberals as well. I can only remember Matthew Yglesias.

While he has had Dan Crenshaw multiple times, Ben Shapiro multiple times, Jordan Peterson multiple times, and so on and on.

He does have liberal comedians, but he barely brings his "just asking question" schtick he does with visible liberal guests.