• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SmarmySmurf

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Hey, Adolf Hitler also was vegetarian and famously said the level of civilization a nation holds can be determined by looking at how well they treat animals. So I guess Hitler was a dope guy that helped animal rights!

And he was a painter, don't forget that! Can an artistic soul truly be evil?

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Surprised it took 5 pages. Kudos!

Lolyshit I'm out.

TB wasn't a bigot and now we've invoked Hitler. Don't bother responding, I'm heading back to EctERA for a while.

Heckler invoked him first but don't let that stop you guys from losing your shit.

People should be remembered for what they were, "my dude". Their shitty things should be remembered. The good they've done should be remembered.

This isn't fucking Hitler we're talking about here. Or George W Bush. Or heck, Chernovich or Alex Jones. Some of you people need to get some perspective.

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not HIS group. He didn't create it and he didn't lead it. He barely ever even touched on the same issues GG:ers get pissy about. He wasn't out there fighting against the "SJW:s". Not to say he shouldn't have distanced himself much more clearly, acknowledge his fuck up and apologize for briefly giving the group more exposure. He failed to do that, that is absolutely true.

He really didn't. And he did damn near nothing to fix the damage he caused. Like others have said, he had time to realize the error of his ways, but he never did. How many half-assed apologies did he write before jumping back into the fray? But whatever, dude talked about games real good like.

Tons of people says otherwise

Yeah. I say there is no place for harassing women, but tons of people say otherwise.

C'mon we all know everything has an infinite shades of gray just to support the amount of bullshit we need at any given time.

Also TIL that once you die, you are forgiven for everything you did while you were alive. Especially if you are loving husband. So I expect that we rally around this and finally stop hating Adolf Hitler, he's dead now and he was a loving husband for Eva Braun. What a great guy Adolf Hitler was, we should really celebrate him by giving him a Nobel Peace Prize.

The man loved animals and was pretty nice to kids. I'm so tired of people bringing up this whole "Nazi" thing, he didn't know any better! He really thought it was about ethics in ethnic cleansing.

Razor Mom

Jan 2, 2018
United Kingdom
I think the TB situation with GG is far too simplified than what people actually give credit for, especially in these threads which instantly turn to shit.

TB, for better or worse, always criticized gaming journalism. He had so for years and years before GG blew up. When GG came around he, unfortunately, legitimized it due to that inherent distrust of the media, ignoring the sexism and false hoods the actual story presented. He didn't do enough to amend for what GG turned into and his roll in giving a hate movement cover.

This is mainly because TB was pretty good at covering games, and really fucking bad at anything related to intersecting issues in gaming culture. His hot takes and lack of understanding on basic concepts made him insufferable for lots of contemporary issues, which was part of the reason I stopped listening to him. He liked to build straw mans and get angry when people called him out. Almost reminds me of Colin Moriarty, someone I also enjoyed for his contrarian views but have ran away from due to his crazy train ride the last few years.

It sucks because TB did do a lot of important things. Guy was one of the key players in the SOPA fiasco, and obviously what he's being remembered for in this situation which is his roll in getting so many people in the west interested in SC2 competitive play.
This. Really good post. And I say this as someone who liked TB, and will absolutely miss him: he wasn't super smart. When it came to culture and the like, he was ham fisted and often suffered a severe lack of understanding. With that said, I don't think he was an evil human being by any means, although I totally understand why people stopped listening to him when his ignorance got in the way.

TLDR: an imperfect, and downright dumb human being sometimes, but RIP totalbiscuit.

NHale

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah because what TB did and what Hitler did are comparable things...

Never said they did and only used it to show how the "have respect from the dead" is a bullshit excuse to try to stop people from talking badly from someone you want to rewrite history about. Which clearly it worked.

Case in point, even a mother from a son killed in a freak accident did this recently: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...-biker-france-rape-death-killed-a8587851.html

Oct 25, 2017
C'mon we all know everything has an infinite shades of gray just to support the amount of bullshit we need at any given time.

Also TIL that once you die, you are forgiven for everything you did while you were alive. Especially if you are loving husband. So I expect that we rally around this and finally stop hating Adolf Hitler, he's dead now and he was a loving husband for Eva Braun. What a great guy Adolf Hitler was, we should really celebrate him by giving him a Nobel Peace Prize.
How does this guy always end up getting compared to Hitler?

In every thread, that's the go to.

Nov 18, 2017
I don't get what this guy is supposed to have contributed to the industry to be singled-out and idolised/honoured in this way by a group of people. But that's up to the esports commmunity I guess.

Onebadlion

Oct 27, 2017
Bringing up Hitler in relation to topics like this automatically invalidates anything else you have to say. The man is responsible for the deaths of millions. Get some perspective you utter clown.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like every TB thread turns into this.

Regardless of his past mistakes, good for his family for this happening. Hope this somewhat helps the sting of him passing away from cancer.

Novel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Never said they did and only used it to show how the "have respect from the dead" is a bullshit excuse to try to stop people from talking badly from someone you want to rewrite history about. Which clearly it worked.

Case in point, even a mother from a son killed in a freak accident did this recently: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...-biker-france-rape-death-killed-a8587851.html

You aren't wrong but pro-TB people aren't going to care whatever we have to say. We must rewrite his history and scrub the pain he directly and indirectly inflicted under the rug. I mean, he made videos about video games! He's one of us! He's the good guy here!

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Gamergate was never about that.
I always wondered about this. The first time I saw that term pop up was about journalists getting free travel, lodging, or just a console for free from publishers which in turn made them see the game more favourable, which is easy with a nice sponsored hotel room and stuff.

The first time I saw someone use that term was some journalist writing about gamers being trash in response to that. Then the typical witchhunts happened, journalists that had nothing to do with the sponsored things got accused over nothing, some journalists fired back with the whole "gamers are a lost cause" and whatnot, and at some point a lot of mysoginist assholes had an excuse to shit on female gaming journalists under the guise of "ethics in gaming journalism".

That's how I remember it. So yeah, at the very start it was indeed about that. It's just that the alt-right (that wasn't called that back then) hijacked the whole thing rather quickly like they do with a shitton of other things as well.
So #gamergate was always about mysoginist fuckwits, "ethics in gaming journalism" wasn't. I remember those discussions, the problem was that a lot of folks arguing for those ethics didn't realize the whole topic already got hijacked by incels and co.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
That's why no one should bring up characters like Hitler, people will spin the narrative that you are comparing both, even if it's not the intention.

And there is no need anyways, because the narrative that you can't talk about the wrongdoings of the death is false, so much that people that defend that narrative with TB will surely not do the same for others also.

Oct 30, 2017
Some of the most close minded, dismissive, and judgmental people I've come across exist on this forum and yet they attempt to disguise themselves as torch bearers for progressiveness. This thread is proof positive that others will take every opportunity to kick a fucking corpse while claiming superior views.

Like TB isn't a role model and I grew to resent a lot of what he did. But, within the context of his contributions to gaming and esports, he deserves the nomination. That's what this thread was meant to highlight and I think it's a kind gesture.

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
He was a negative force in this industry and the effects are still being felt today whatever else he did. Terrible look for an "esports Hall of Fame" hoping for legitimacy.

Oligarchenemy

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I have an issue with the first part of this statement. Gamergate was a fucking disaster.
The second part? As a person who followed TB' work and politics very closely, I don't think so.

His Twitter said differently. Stop trying to whitewash this guy's shitty past. He wasn't a good person, at all.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
I always wondered about this. The first time I saw that term pop up was about journalists getting free travel, lodging, or just a console for free from publishers which in turn made them see the game more favourable, which is easy with a nice sponsored hotel room and stuff.

The first time I saw someone use that term was some journalist writing about gamers being trash in response to that. Then the typical witchhunts happened, journalists that had nothing to do with the sponsored things got accused over nothing, some journalists fired back with the whole "gamers are a lost cause" and whatnot, and at some point a lot of mysoginist assholes had an excuse to shit on female gaming journalists under the guise of "ethics in gaming journalism".

That's how I remember it. So yeah, at the very start it was indeed about that. It's just that the alt-right (that wasn't called that back then) hijacked the whole thing rather quickly like they do with a shitton of other things as well.
So #gamergate was always about mysoginist fuckwits, "ethics in gaming journalism" wasn't. I remember those discussions, the problem was that a lot of folks arguing for those ethics didn't realize the whole topic already got hijacked by incels and co.
The first topic of gamergate and "journalism ethics" was a vindictive ex making up shit about his ex girlfriend - saying she slept with a guy for a review that didn't exist. That's how it started, a guy literally wanting to start harassment and punish a woman. It didn't "transform" it was that from the start.

Novel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It literally started with harassing a woman because her ex accused her of sleeping with reviewers for good reviews. It was always a hate movement. It wasn't even hijacked. They just came up with defense after defense to help trick people to their side on 4/8 chan and KiA.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Alright I'm popping in here

This is a thread about John Bain's legacy in the gaming community and people should be able to discuss that legacy freely. This does not mean you can twist members' words around to attack them, nor does it mean you can handwave concerns over hate and harassment, and members are expected to be civil to each other when having this conversation.

OP
OP
Calibro

Calibro

Oct 27, 2017
Belarus

Lupic

Dec 31, 2017
United Kingdom
Good on ESL, and good on TB for doing everything he did for the esport scene.

I should've expected this thread to be half full of hatred because people just love to shit on things, especially when it's out of context.

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
No one brought him up till you tried to side step the bad stuff TB has done with "oh he's not as bad as genocidal manaics". Miss me with that bullshit.
Then ignore the Hitler part, and literally just look at the Chernovich or Alex Jones part. My argument wasn't reliant on the Hitler thing, it just was the logical extreme. I regret mentioning it though, because it's clear some people will came at me in bad faith no matter what.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
People shouldn't receive death threats and other harassment. There are plenty of shitheads on the internet who harass and threaten people, but TB wasn't one of them.
You sure about that? This sure reads like a threat to me.

P9RF2bA.png

Anon27

Oct 25, 2017
Hitler keep coming up because everyone is indirectly discussing how you should remember the dead? People say that you should not criticize the dead and that's why Hitler was mentioned as a counter example. I think everyone is grappling about how to discuss the bad actions of a dead person, who seems to be respected by some people here. Is mentioning how his actions hurt other people means disrespecting him and his family? In my opinion, I don't think so

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
That e in esports does not stand for empathy. Likewise, I've been through enough TotalBiscuit threads to know many people just don't give a crap if the person happened to advertise their favorite game. The gaming community is a cesspool and a dumpster fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.