• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
You're right, the initial quote wasn't threadworthy at all! No one would have made this thread if I didn't /s

Ah, the double down.

tenor.gif

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
I imagine there's a lot more people here who wanted to defend John before his update but didn't wanna get dogpiled.

Truth is, taking what he said in the way that this thread's original title described it implies a massive change in his personal character.

Addi

Oct 25, 2017
Pro-tip: Never enter a Star Wars thread before the page count is double digit.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
You're right, the initial quote wasn't threadworthy at all! No one would have made this thread if I didn't /s

I mean you haven't taken the time to update your OP with any context at all, nor have you really commented about his response to this whole "controversy", sooooo....what are we conclude?

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This was obvious to anyone with half a brain.
People get excited anytime they have the opportunity to judge someone and will gladly ignore obvious cues so they can still have their pile on party.

Era seems especially eager to demonstrate their moral superiority to black people today.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
Wait, he insulted tran?????

Fuck you finn!! Asshole.

Now I'm glad your character didn't get much screen time in TLJ. That's not cool at all. Hope your short lived career crashes and burns.

When did he insult Tran? Still hope his career "crashes and burns"? Also, dude's name is John Boyega - Finn is a character he played in a series of children's fantasy movies.

Boyega was always a douchebag this is nothing new

I also don't get posts like this. Do you actually know this guy? Some of you need to separate the fantasy of people you see in movies and TV screens from who they are in the real world. The former is curated and presented for your entertainment. The latter, aside from exceptional circumstances, you have no access to.

Disney going hard for that incel crowd apparently.

...what does this even have to do with anything?

Desparadina

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
y'all see how easy it was for them to start saying the most out of pocket shit as if they were waiting for the exact moment John would fuck up to show their true feelings FOH

Deleted member 4353

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man this topic has exposed some straight up horrible people. Has also exposed how some people on this site just love judging others so freaking harshly. Those first couple of pages are something else.The vitriol against this guy says alot too.

Its like people are always waiting for someone to say something so they can jump in with their hot takes.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
This thread is the perfect example of his point. That's the hilarious thing. Right down to the "That's not true. But no that's actually not true. So its like whatever".

That's why it's so amusing. He's right, gotta turn off the shit and ignore the haters or you'll just feel buried.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Now apply this to any reaction thread.
Nah, Star Wars thread in particular are special.

This thread is the perfect example of his point. That's the hilarious thing. Right down to the "That's not true. But no that's actually not true. So its like whatever".

That's why it's so amusing. He's right, gotta turn off the shit and ignore the haters or you'll just feel buried.
Sad truth.

Too bad the people that need to own and internalize it won't be back to apologize, won't grow, and won't accept any responsibility.

Starting with the OP who has already ducked any responsibility, refuses to update the OP, and has not posted anything but an excuse since. Typical. And pathetic.

SpudBud

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
John Boyega is awesome and I'm glad this was cleared up. This press tour has been something else.

Deleted member 2085

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Sad truth.

Too bad the people that need to own and internalize it won't be back to apologize, won't grow, and won't accept any responsibility.

Starting with the OP who has already ducked any responsibility, refuses to update the OP, and has not posted anything but an excuse since. Typical. And pathetic.
We even got a guy who won't even apologize for posting racist ass shit.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The difference in reaction to this and the Ridley stuff has been eye-opening, in the worst way. I thought better of some of you.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017

Sad truth.

The opening should definitely be updated. Dunno why TC is being stubborn.

And I mean, I feel the same way about this as I do with the Daisy Ridley comments, I don't think this shit was meant to be raken and run with in such a fashion. It's just one comment of a million they have to give and if you just look at the contexts its fucking nothing.

None of these people have said anything to be called a piece of shit or worse lol.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
As I said earlier, in the thread, even if he was not specifically talking about her, I think it's shitty to imply that some are mentally stronger than others, which is what he did in that quote.

I'm glad he apologized.

He did not imply that. That whole line of questioning was about why he likes being a star of Star Wars in the social media age and how he deals with it. The implication was not that anyone was weak. It was that to go in the trenches with the fans you cant internalize things or it will eat you.

Like lol, how are people still not getting this?

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
He did not imply that. That whole line of questioning was about why he likes being a star of Star Wars in the social media age and how he deals with it. The implication was not that anyone was weak. It was that to go in the trenches with the fans you cant internalize things or it will eat you.

Like lol, how are people still not getting this?

he literally said "for those who are not mentally strong"

so no, he is not implying it, he is saying it openly

Oct 27, 2017
Wild that people who were throwing themselves on grenades to protect Daisy Ridley not but a few days ago are still in here attacking Boyega.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
he literally said "for those who are not mentally strong"

so no, he is not implying it, he is saying it openly

The context was about how he is able to deal with fans negative in the social media age. He says you understamd the masses and how the masses think coming off his last statement about social media. The point was that you have to be strong enough to separate out the bullshit. He calls it being mentally strong. Clumsily worded obviously but the whole interview is about him and the last 3 questions specifically about dealing with the fandom and engagement. How is it not obvious the point wasn't to belittle anyone? He is one of thee most active cast member in terms of engaging the audience. That's what brings forth his whole perspective.

Again, this is obvious.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Who is he referring to when he says "for those who are not mentally strong?"

He isn't referring to any specific person. He is contextualizing how he is able to have such a high fan engagement and deal with the negativity of the fanbase. That question in the opening is brought about by the previous questions answer of how he likes being a star of a Star Wars trilogy during the social media age.

Like this is not difficult to understand. He isn't pointing to anyone being weak for how they handle controversy. He is saying that if you aren't strong minded this level of socialization amoung fsns can really fuck you up. Which makes sense because he is known to be active with the fanbase.

MagicHobo

Oct 27, 2017
The context was about how he is able to deal with fans negative in the social media age. He says you understamd the masses and how the masses think coming off his last statement about social media. The point was that you have to be strong enough to separate out the bullshit. He calls it being mentally strong. Clumsily worded obviously but the whole interview is about him and the last 3 questions specifically about dealing with the fandom and engagement. How is it not obvious the point wasn't to belittle anyone? He is one of thee most active cast member in terms of engaging the audience. That's what brings forth his whole perspective.

Again, this is obvious.
You are ignoring the other part of the context where the question specifically namedropped Tran and the harassment she faced.

However, to be clear I am with you on what he was trying to imply. This wasn't a carefully considered written response Boyega gave, he was rolling off a train of questions and responding from an internalized perspective to the general theme of the preceding questions. He should have earned enough good will in the past to have been granted some space to clarify or at the very least for the full context of the questions to have been presented up front, some of the hot takes in this thread are embarrassing, but I think it's still something worth clarifying after the fact because it is a sensitive issue.

Liquor

Oct 28, 2017
Y'all doubling down hard. Gotta be perfect in every aspect of your life to not get dumped on.

Y'all are disgusting.

Oct 29, 2017
He expressed a totally innocuous thought in an off the cuff manner...but no, the internet is going to tell you what his motivations are. People just want to want to bitch.

As I said earlier, in the thread, even if he was not specifically talking about her, I think it's shitty to imply that some are mentally stronger than others, which is what he did in that quote.

I guess we should just not acknowledge anything that makes anybody the slightest bit uncomfortable? I get aiming it at a specific person is kind of a dickish thing to do but as a general statement I'm having a real hard time finding anything to take issue with.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You are ignoring the other part of the context where the question specifically namedropped Tran and the harassment she faced.

However, to be clear I am with you on what he was trying to imply. This wasn't a carefully considered written response Boyega gave, he was rolling off a train of questions and responding from an internalized perspective to the general theme of the preceding questions. He should have earned enough good will in the past to have been granted some space to clarify or at the very least for the full context of the questions to have been presented up front, some of the hot takes in this thread are embarrassing, but I think it's still something worth clarifying after the fact because it is a sensitive issue.

yeah, i already said earlier in the thread, the problem here is that he was actually asked about Tran, and he answered in a general sense.

he probably wasnt thinking about her when giving his answer

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017

I'm not ignoring it. The question name dropped her but it was not about her, it was a counter to him saying he likes being a star of this series in the social media age. This whole line of question is about him so while I get that if you just read the tweet it seems bad, if you watch the whole interview it makes sense that he is speaking personallty.

He apologizes because why wouldn't you if you mean no harm. Which further highlights why I dont think this was anything but clickbait.

I just find this entirely nothing. Like if we get to ignore context then obviously things will seem bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.