• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Thats a significant portion of the EtcetEra side for a while now. It doesn't help that so many topic are started with the least charitable interpretation of the article they are posting in the thread title. It would help a lot of the discussion if OPs werent so eager to tell you how to feel about an article right from the get go.
I get reacting to horrible shit, we're primed for it. The last few years has seen a rise in right-wing hate and that's dredged up a tonne of insidious, banal ignorance and malice.

We do need to start doing better though, or we're going to become full on caricatures of ourselves and just feed the people we should be standing against ammunition.

It doesn't help that we don't know specific poster intention either, like who is trolling or trying to steer things a certain way. As I said above, it's a real mess.

I know I personally need to hold my thoughts for a while longer before I hit the keyboard, quite a few more people here need to do that too.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
I'll be blunt: JJ Abrams does not get to bitch about other screenwriters' writing. That asshat has never told a satisfying story in his entire life and he's not about to start now, so he needs to shut the fuck up and go back to directing music videos, because that's clearly where his headspace actually lives.
Uh, yikes

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
Time and time again people to conclusions or judgement without proper facts. It's ridiculous. So many people for instance came here, have a negative interpretation of John and aren't going to come back to see his clarification and change their stance.

Montresor

Oct 27, 2017
This thread is mortifyingly embarrassing. Let humans be humans for fuck's sake. Boyega is a 27 year old actor, not a goddamn political ambassador who has to diplomatically nail every sentence he utters. He's trying to harmoniously bridge the divide between fans in what he's saying, and he's going about it in an extremely clunky and ill advised way. Stop putting so much stock into it. The guy is tasked with answering a million questions a day, some lighthearted, some precarious, some politically charged, all slowly draining him and coming at him with little preparation. I assure you, if any one of you were in the same position you'd eventually catch your foot in your mouth too. That's what humans do. They make mistakes. They misspeak. Give some slack, jesus christ. If Tran is offended by it, Boyega can make amends and apologise to her himself privately.

The amount of toxicity and hatred spewing from this forum is disgraceful. Take a step back, recognise that these words aren't do or die. They're not altering the course of progressive social discourse. In the process of trying to defend Tran from the hateful and vitriolic shit being hurled at her on the internet, you yourselves are hurling hateful and vitriolic shit at Boyega.

This is some appalling shit right here.
I don't know how to say this without sounding insulting, but I feel like a lot of people on Era are out of touch with the realities of life and human interaction or nature. This drive to sensationalise and berate anyone and everything who does or says anything even remotely questionable, especially those who are orders of magnitude more likely to make mistakes than ordinary people, just by virtue of being under the eye so much more than is typical, is just exhausting.

We're talking about young adults who are probably tired as fuck and doing hundreds upon hundreds of interviews non stop, it's not surprising that every now again they might mess up their words or say something that lacks a particular etiquette or isn't ideally or accurately phrased, especially if they're asked off the cuff, and not prepared.

Boyega in particular is a lad who grew up poor in South London, Peckham, he's not going to be constantly versed or eloquent to an Oxbridge level or whatever, and now and again things may come out a bit messy or hard edged, this being one of those examples.

To quote my post from earlier, I really think a simple fumbling of words is being unnecessarily sensationalised and taken out of context here.

Excellent posts.

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
I get reacting to horrible shit, we're primed for it. The last few years has seen a rise in right-wing hate and that's dredged up a tonne of insidious, banal ignorance and malice.

We do need to start doing better though, or we're going to become full on caricatures of ourselves and just feed the people we should be standing against ammunition.

It doesn't help that we don't know specific poster intention either, like who is trolling or trying to steer things a certain way. As I said above, it's a real mess.

I know I personally need to hold my thoughts for a while longer before I hit the keyboard, quite a few more people here need to do that too.

Happened a long time ago.

I remember the days not so long ago when we would laugh at how sensitive right wingers were over most stuff, how they were knee jerk reactionaries who didn't read anything before they laid out their ill thought often nasty messages. They've gotten worse and it looks like a lot of people who think of themselves as being on the left have followed right on along with them

Oct 30, 2017
Time and time again people to conclusions or judgement without proper facts. It's ridiculous. So many people for instance came here, have a negative interpretation of John and aren't going to come back to see his clarification and change their stance.
Nah, they see his clarification. They just won't admit to being wrong or apologize for their overreaction.

Oct 27, 2017
And like that the tweet that started all of this has vanished.. wonder why
Wooooooow, you're right. The fcking coward deleted it.

Failed to bring the pitchforks out on the black man, so ran into hiding. Classy.

Edit: Oh wow, her apology is actual on point and doesn't mince words. Good on her.

Last edited:

MagicHobo

Oct 27, 2017
And like that the tweet that started all of this has vanished.. wonder why
Wooooooow, you're right. The fcking coward deleted it.

Failed to bring the pitchforks out on the black man, so ran into hiding. Classy.
She's not hiding. Her apology isn't bad and gets to the heart of the matter and is handling her own mistake better than most of the bad takes in this thread and should inform this particular issue moving forward:

I think deleting the post altogether is a reasonable choice, because it removes it as fodder for people who haven't been up to date in the discussion and are eager to give their hot takes against Boyega, kinda like we saw on the last few pages of this thread where people clearly didn't read the update or Boyega's response.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
She's not hiding. Her apology isn't bad and gets to the heart of the matter and is handling her own mistake better than most of the bad takes in this thread and should inform this particular issue moving forward:

Thank you for this. She understands how bad that looked and owned up.

Can the OP be updated with like... all of this please? The situation is way different now.

Nov 17, 2017
Man, looking at this thread before Boyega clarified his statement, a good amount you were just waiting in the wings, huh?

Considering the OP came into the thread of John being disappointed with his character with this to try and sway people from defending him makes this circus of a thread unsurprising.
Lol like clockwork.

The difference in reaction to this and the Ridley stuff has been eye-opening, in the worst way. I thought better of some of you.
You've got more faith than I. This is par for the course on Era.

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
wtf @ Boyega. Hope he misspoke cause this is a shit thing to say.

Rian should have made Jar Jar a main character, or recycle something else, I bet JJ would have liked it more.

Get mad first, ask questions later.
DEzDTZq.gif

It's amazing witnessing it first hand.

Nov 17, 2017
I'm legitimately heartbroken. Y'all really don't love niggas, at all.
Yeah, I noticed that after seeing how just about every thread on black representation in media both on Gaming and Etcetera since Era's inception turns into a shitshow. Though as someone else said, Era's really been showing its ass of late. More blatant than ever before.

Jun 6, 2019
I'm not surprised this shit happened on Twitter. Twitter is hot garbage. Hope someone would nuke that website off the internet.

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yup. lol
DEzDTZq.gif

It's amazing witnessing it first hand.
But this is so common that I don't see it as "witnessing" anything anymore. In practically every thread people shoot first and ask questions later. Hell, sometimes they never bother to ask questions at a later point. As long as they get their shots off to declare their moral superiority and indemnify someone, they're frosty.

Liquidsnake

Oct 27, 2017
I think I have seen people banned for saying something like Im going to wait for more info before I speak to this.

Am I wrong?

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You just couldn't fucking wait to tear him down. This thread is embarrassing. The sheer level of impatient vitriol over an indistinct and easily explained statement in those first pages is pathetic. It isn't a fucking contest to embarrass yourself the fastest and most dramatically.

You all are the reason these bait headlines keep getting play. Imagine jumping to these conclusions when he has only spoken in her defense previously.

Shoutouts to OP for drawing weak conclusions and paraphrasing them poorly in a bad headline, before mouthing off with the same BS in other threads too. This needs to be changed to reflect what Boyega meant, because the lazy jackasses posting here or skipping past are not going to dive into threadmarks to see the actual story.

Last edited:

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
You just couldn't fucking wait to tear him down. This thread is embarrassing. The sheer level of impatient vitriol over an indistinct and easily explained statement in those first pages is pathetic. It isn't a fucking contest to embarrass yourself the fastest and most dramatically.

You all are the reason these bait headlines keep getting play. Imagine jumping to these conclusions when he has only spoken in her defense previously.

Shoutouts to OP for drawing weak conclusions and paraphrasing them poorly in a bad headline, before mouthing off with the same BS in other threads too. This needs to be changed to reflect what Boyega meant, because the lazy jackasses posting here or skipping past are not going to dive into threadmarks to see the actual story.

What gets me is all the posts saying "always knew he was an asshole", or "he's been getting a bit whiny for my liking".

I don't remember hearing anything like that about him before. Like ever. He's always been friendly genuine in all the interviews and footage I've seen of him.

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What gets me is all the posts saying "always knew he was an asshole", or "he's been getting a bit whiny for my liking".

I don't remember hearing anything like that about him before. Like ever. He's always been friendly genuine in all the interviews and footage I've seen of him.
Yeah, that's because there was nothing of the sort and he has always had her back. This is just people wanting to get angry, wanting to tear someone down, and voicing some familiar feelings about a familiar class of target. Old hate, new look.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

It's really easy to make a famous person on a press tour look shitty. If someone gives 10 different interviews and says in each of them "I think my movie/game will be good" and then ERA makes a different thread for each of them, people keep reading snippets from the person via thread titles, and it results in everyone deciding that person is an egotistical maniac, an incessant whiner, or whatever else.

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017

I think deleting the post altogether is a reasonable choice, because it removes it as fodder for people who haven't been up to date in the discussion and are eager to give their hot takes against Boyega, kinda like we saw on the last few pages of this thread where people clearly didn't read the update or Boyega's response.

Good that she at least apologized but, and I'm sorry to use such strong words and imagery. A white woman and her privileges has led to some very dark things happening to black men. She basically set him up for an online lynching.

Amiablepercy

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
California

This is a decent apology/response. She fucked up a tad and reacted like a human and clarified. This whole thing really shouldn't turn into a thing.

GrizzleBoy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The bolded is very important.

Incase some of you dont know, there are websites with entire, very active sections designed specifically for trolling this website.

Be it doxxing people, making accounts to troll threads while trying to appear like a normal poster (the black culture thread seems to be popular for this on a certain site) etc.

Just think the next time you go all ham on a person who seems to be talking some outrageous shit, whether they're actually real. Even more so if they appear to be on your side, but pushing some extreme version of what you believe.

There are a lot of people watching us and fucking around.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
This is exactly why I always wait before I call for someone's head online.

in fact I didn't even bother coming into this thread until I saw there was an update because I KNEW it would be some out of context BS.

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
Man considering he's had her back for like all of the time they worked together when she was getting shit from shitposters and "fans", the first few pages are disappointing

Status
Not open for further replies.