• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DMczaf

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas, NV
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/h...ptation-duke-nukem-1077194?utm_source=twitter

john_cena_duke_nukem_split.jpg

John Cena is getting ready to shoot up some aliens.

The wrestler-turned-actor is negotiations to star in Duke Nukem, a big-screen adaptation of the popular video game franchise featuring the politically incorrect action hero that is set up at Paramount.

Platinum Dunes, the company run by Michael Bay, Andrew Form and Brad Fuller, will produce the movie.

No director is on board at this stage. A search for a writer will begin soon to develop a script for what is intended to be a star vehicle for Cena.

The Nukem video games follow muscular adventures of its titular protagonist, who initially was a mash-up of action hero tropes. The muscular cigar-chomping figure has been fighting aliens in order to save planet Earth since 1991 when the first game was released.

The project was previously set up at Dimension Films.

AlsoZ

Oct 29, 2017
How do you make a movie about a character like Duke Nukem in this day and age? Not to mention the franchise hasn't been well-received in something like 2 decades.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
There's going to have to do a bit of a rewrite on Duke's character I assume...

Flame Lord

Oct 26, 2017
That seems like it goes against the image he's made for himself. With the right people though I think this could be a pretty good movie. It probably won't be though.

Wark

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
It's weird that they're thinking of making a Duke Nukem movie in 2018, but I'm kinda down for one I guess.

Cap G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How do you make a movie about a character like Duke Nukem in this day and age? Not to mention the franchise hasn't been well-received in something like 2 decades.

An action film spoof? Thats not really some off the wall stuff.

Its easier to make a modern Duke film than a Duke game.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017

It's also one of the worst choices. Cena had obviously been going for the family friendly appeal.

I don't think parents want their kids to be told to blow it out their ass.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how the mainstream as it is now would react to the Holsom Twin's death scene and subsequent Duke Nukem quip,

Harken Raiser

Oct 25, 2017

This, idk if the crude raunchy humor Duke Nukem is known for can be set for a big budget film.

You make it a comedy and have Duke Nukem be out of touch and not realize how lame and outdated his one liners and brand of humor are.

fallengorn

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
They'll either just rewrite the character wholesale or basically make him the button of all jokes.

Either way... no one asked for this.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
unless this is a parody of Duke Nukem, I don't see this working out well

Winston1

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Had no idea this was even happening. Marking a Duke Nukem movie in this day and age seems...not surprising, but weird.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No script, no writers, no directors, the only reason this movie even exists is to boost Cena's star power. Seems like a bust waiting to happen.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
Like I said in the gaming side thread, this casting only makes sense if they're going to go the angle of, like, Duke saving the day in his stereotypical fashion only for the onlookers to boo him and point out how unfunny his shtick is in the present era, Duke tries to go squeaky clean only to be disillusioned, veers way hard back into being over-the-top un-PC for attention from that crowd, but then he alienates Sensible Love Interest and realizes that his newfound fame comes from jerks, and blah blah a lesson is learned and he saves the day without being crude