• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
Time to cast Andrew Koji as his replacement.
I meeeeaaaaaaaan

1*WVDn1XTdmK7Y5Nxe4PpH8A.jpeg

It should've been him from the get go

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
John Cho is honestly a bit too old for Spike. He looked every bit a 45-ish year old man in 2017's Columbus.

Deleted member 9932

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He will be almost 50. Wtf is this absurd casting. A 50 year old injured man with zero experience in fighting and physical roles is going to play....Spike 😂

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
I told yall he was too old. I hope they recast but probably won't happen cause contracts.

louie

Oct 29, 2017
Hope he gets well. I also hope everyone working on it can find work and just aren't suddenly unemployed for the 9 months.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
I live John Cho so I'm glad to hear it's just a knee and nothing serious.

But damn, the dudes 47. Even if rehearsed people his age shouldn't be doing stunts. Did they not have a stunt double or something?

(Which is not to say I'd have preferred a stunt double get injured but rather someone professional at stunts who may not have gotten injured in the first place).

JimD

Aug 17, 2018
Oof, that's a shame for him and everyone working on that production. It's nice that Netflix is willing to wait... but 7-9 months means that Disney+ AND HBO Max will launch in the meantime. No guarantee that they remain patient if they start hemorrhaging subscribers.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if they will re cast, or have a stunt double do his role and like digitally put his face over it? Im surprised they are waiting to wait almost a year to resume production

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
Not to sound callous but a 7-9 month delay seems like it would be a lot more expensive than paying out his contract and casting your runner up.

Nothing against John Cho, and hopefully his recovery goes well, but I'd also hope that was at least presented to him as an option.

Girder_Shade

Banned
Sep 22, 2019
I haven't been following the news for this but John Cho playing Spike?
They look nothing alike this is weird. And I don't mean in a racist way I just mean what a weird casting. Now with this injury the series will end up in production purgatory.

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
I dont understand why they arent just recasting. I guess he must have a solid contract that would lead Netflix to lose a lot of money if they let him go.

Deleted member 9932

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You're more prone to injuries as you get older (and have similar levels of physical activity), much more if you lack experience in intense training. Acl tears occurs a lot on young teens as they start to get crazier in their physical activities. Of course his age (and probably past) matters a lot.
Even athletes have issues fully recovering from this type of tear, imagine an older actor who will (or should) be required some intensse physical activity. Spike is supposed to be really good at jeet kune do, i don't even understand how does netflix can imagine a soon to be 50 year old guy with a busted knee is in any way appropriate to be really good at throwing kicks.

Last edited:

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
You're more prone to injuries as you get older (and have similar levels of physical activity), much more if your lack experience in intense training. Acl tears occurs a lot on young teens as they start to get crazier in their physical activities. Of course his age (and probably past) matters a lot.
Even athletes have issues fully recovering from this type of tear, imagine an older actor who will (or should) be required some intensse physical activity. Spike is supposed to be really good at jeet kune do, i don't even understand how does netflix can imagine a soon to be 50 year old guy with a busted knee is in any way appropriate to be really good at throwing kicks.
Keanu Reeves, Jason Statham, and Tom Cruise are over 50 and still doing action movies. Disney turned Paul Rudd into an action star, even though CGI does most of the work. It's not uncommon. It just all depends if the talent can pull it off.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Keanu Reeves, Jason Statham, and Tom Cruise are over 50 and still doing action movies. Disney turned Paul Rudd into an action star, even though CGI does most of the work. It's not uncommon. It just all depends if the talent can pull it off.
The first three have been action stars their entire careers. The latter is in a CGI fest. Those cases aren't comparable at all.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
A delay of 7-9 months is quite lengthy for a production that's only 10 episodes. Very unfortunate turn of events.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My personal take:

They should recast the role. The dude is honestly too old for the part in the first place. It may not have been the main cause of why he was injured, but it doesn't matter. People age at different rates. What if this show goes 5 seasons, with a year and a half between each? He could start looking significantly older pretty quickly. The character is meant to be 20 years younger, why not cast someone 20 years younger?

Apart from that, a delay this long is highly abnormal. Bigger actors have been recast for much less. Someone behind the scenes must really like Cho. But this also negatively affects the hundreds of other people who were working on the show who are now out of a job for 7+ months and have to find something else to pay the bills -- which may in turn prevent them from returning to this specific project whenever it comes back.

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
My personal take:

They should recast the role. The dude is honestly too old for the part in the first place. It may not have been the main cause of why he was injured, but it doesn't matter. People age at different rates. What if this show goes 5 seasons, with a year and a half between each? He could start looking significantly older pretty quickly. The character is meant to be 20 years younger, why not cast someone 20 years younger?

Apart from that, a delay this long is highly abnormal. Bigger actors have been recast for much less. Someone behind the scenes must really like Cho. But this also negatively affects the hundreds of other people who were working on the show who are now out of a job for 7+ months and have to find something else to pay the bills -- which may in turn prevent them from returning to this specific project whenever it comes back.

While I like Cho acting, I agree with all of these. I also think he was miscast.

Sirank

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe a sign that Cowboy Bebop should just be left alone. No need for a Love action that can never come close to living up to the original.

CassCade

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Honestly surprised they didn't recast him. Hope they give a decent budget like Altered Carbon.
The series is being writen by Yost whose track record makes me feel ambivalent, he was on of the writers for Ragnarok but before that he wrote Max Steel and Thor 2.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if they will re cast, or have a stunt double do his role and like digitally put his face over it? Im surprised they are waiting to wait almost a year to resume production
I heard someone saying that (compared to other studios), Netflix has a shocking lack of concern about schedules.

It's like, Netflix decides that they want you on their system. "This pitch looks great. How much money do you need to make this?" "We'll probably need around $X." "That sounds do-able. We'll cut you a check so you can get started." ... ... ... "Isn't this the part where you're supposed to ask me when we can finish delivering it by?" "Oh, right. Yeah, I suppose that's important information. I guess we just figured you'd be done when you're done. Don't rush on our account."

Netflix also doesn't particularly care how many episodes your season has, nor how long the episodes are. Because their system isn't rigidly structured like old network television. It doesn't have seasons or timeslots or reruns. There are apparently a bunch of old concerns that simply don't matter to Netflix.

clearacell

Oct 27, 2017
Hope he's ok and his surgery goes well. Athletes come back from these things ok so maybe he can as well