• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.
giphy.gif

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
gears 4 didnt even have a love subplot

if who a fake character sleeps with in a made up story that doesnt have her sleeping with anyone affects your enjoyment of it.....idk what to even say
Representation matters more to me than gameplay does

As I mentioned above, I think it was obvious that the fan was not asking from a "I care about representation" point of view. It was from a "heh heh, lesbians" point of view.
It's hard to transcribe it but the question was asked with a smirk that didn't exactly say "looking for representation".
John (likely correctly) thought the question wasn't being asked in good faith and was trying to trap the panelists into an awkward moment, so he clowned on it.
Ah, yeah, fuck that dude. Skeevy ass deserves that clowning then.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Cant watch yet, but how is asking if a character is gay or not a gross question because that's a super important aspect to me and one thatd make me buy the game????
It's okay to wonder what the sexual orientation is of a fictional character. Also I don't know anything about this series or the character of Kait, so not sure if I am missing something there.
The guy was basically asking it in a pervy, skeevy way, not asking about LGBT representation. DiMaggio interpreted the question as such and thoroughly ether'ed the guy. That the guy asking the question is grinning at the roasting and joking along proves that DiMaggio's interpretation was correct. ^^

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
why does someones sexual identity or preference, when not even used as part of the plot, important at all?

she can be gay or straight. who cares?

"does kait drink black coffee or does she take milk or sugar?"
idk. idc. it doesnt change anything.
Equating representation of minorities to fucking coffee lmao, okay dude this aint goin anywhere.

StarStorm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm more impressed he was smiling all the way through after asking it. I wouldn't be able to keep a straight face after hearing it rofl. /DEAD

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The guy was basically asking it in a pervy, skeevy way, not asking about LGBT representation. DiMaggio interpreted the question as such and thoroughly ether'ed the guy. That the guy asking the question is grinning at the roasting and joking along proves that DiMaggio's interpretation was correct. ^^
Thank god, was super scared of Dimaggio pulling a milkshake duck.

Im glad hes still an amazing dude.

TheJackdog

Oct 27, 2017
Equating representation of minorities to fucking coffee lmao, okay dude this aint goin anywhere.

cherry pick all you want, im making the comparison that its someones sexual preference doesnt define who they are or make me judge them any differently.

as in, i dont care who you fuck, or what coffee you drink, it doesnt make me think differently about an individual.

Oct 27, 2017
That's a weird ass thing to ask. You could've said what's her relationship to JD like in this game. Is it romantic or more tension etc

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
cherry pick all you want, im making the comparison that its someones sexual preference doesnt define who they are or make me judge them any differently.
My sexual orientation is in fact actually a large part of who i am, and many others. Sexuality doesnt define you but its still a large part of who we are.

We arent a "preference" or a choice.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
If you can't differentiate the context of a question asking about representation, then you are lost in the sauce. There are valid ways to ask his question to show that a character's identity can mean a lot to people.

"As someone who wants to see more representation in-game media, does Kate character identify as LGBTQ?" vs what that guy asked. The video is very telling.

TheJackdog

Oct 27, 2017
My sexual orientation is in fact actually a large part of who i am, and many others. Sexuality doesnt define you but its still a large part of who we are.

We arent a "preference" or a choice.

if you seriously think im being negative and looking for a fight here, and trying to say gay or straight is a choice, youre just trying to pick a fight for no reason.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
1. That was the most appropriate, broadly-beneficial-to-society response anyone could have given.

2. I have re-watched the audience-member's slow descent into the realization that Dimaggio was making fun of him at least three times, and it sustains me.

blacklotus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I got the feel of the question in a "if he replies she's a lesbian i'm going to go to twitter and rant about the sjws" vibe.
I guess DiMaggio got that vibe aswell.

Awesome.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Considering he was recording the reaction on his phone I can assume the guy asked the question in bad faith

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
why does someones sexual identity or preference, when not even used as part of the plot, important at all?

she can be gay or straight. who cares?

"does kait drink black coffee or does she take milk or sugar?"
idk. idc. it doesnt change anything.
Representation matters, and it sure as hell isn't comparable to how someone takes their coffee.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017

Damn what a perfect response.
It's okay to wonder what the sexual orientation is of a fictional character. Also I don't know anything about this series or the character of Kait, so not sure if I am missing something there.

Whats her orientation matter....shes going to be carrying a gun with frikken chainsaw on it....cutting grubs in half for fun.
Her sexual preference is of no consequence.
And doesnt matter....there are more important things to ask about a video game which people were complaining they didnt get campaign details during the conference....you are gonna waste one question on Kaits sexual orientation?
WTF

Next we are gonna be asking Id whats the Doom Marines sexual preference

Saty

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, are we okay with the language and motions used by DiMaggio in this official and broadcasted stream?

Oct 25, 2017
The fact that everyone was laughing really took away from what DiMaggio was saying. Made everything feel more like a joke when clearly it wasn't.