• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
A bit confused by all the "why does it matter" responses when there are so many threads here about representation

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Representation matters, and it sure as hell isn't comparable to how someone takes their coffee.

This is going too far guys.
We are going to war with creatures from the ground....that eat people! Turning them into new aliens....and Kait might be related to the Queen of these creatures.......but what matters in this story?
Her sexual orientation.
No....thats taking it too too far.

Her sexual orientation doesnt matter one bit.....as John said....its no ones business.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
The guy was basically asking it in a pervy, skeevy way, not asking about LGBT representation. DiMaggio interpreted the question as such and thoroughly ether'ed the guy. That the guy asking the question is grinning at the roasting and joking along proves that DiMaggio's interpretation was correct. ^^
Yup, and he was asking specifically about the woman's orientation, and not any of the men's. "Tough girl in power armour has gotta be a lesbian." Clear as day.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Representation matters, let's not play it off like it doesn't, but this creep wasn't interested in representation. He was either baiting controversy or wanting to fetishize lesbians. DiMaggio's response was correct.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Damn what a perfect response.

Whats her orientation matter....shes going to be carrying a gun with frikken chainsaw on it....cutting grubs in half for fun.
Her sexual preference is of no consequence.
And doesnt matter....there are more important things to ask about a video game which people were complaining they didnt get campaign details during the conference....you are gonna waste one question on Kaits sexual orientation?
WTF

Next we are gonna be asking Id whats the Doom Marines sexual preference
Again, representation is more important to many of us than most things in the game. It straight up makes most games an immediate buy for me.

Not having the empathy to understand why people are looking for representation anywhere they can get it is lol

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
The guy was clearly asking in bad faith.

Whats her orientation matter....shes going to be carrying a gun with frikken chainsaw on it....cutting grubs in half for fun.
That didn't stop the last gears trilogy from fitting multiple romance subplots in for the male characters throughout the campaigns. 👀

Representation matters, let's not play it off like it doesn't, but this creep wasn't interested in representation. He was either baiting controversy or wanting to fetishize lesbians. DiMaggio's response was correct.

Vj27

Feb 10, 2019
How much you want to bet he's posting his vid on neogaf for shits and giggles lol.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
If you can't differentiate the context of a question asking about representation, then you are lost in the sauce. There are valid ways to ask his question to show that a character's identity can mean a lot to people.

"As someone who wants to see more representation in-game media, does Kate character identify as LGBTQ?" vs what that guy asked. The video is very telling.
Exactly, this is it. Idiot provided no background to his question and was obviously asking to stir some shit.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
It's okay to wonder what the sexual orientation is of a fictional character. Also I don't know anything about this series or the character of Kait, so not sure if I am missing something there.

I can't tell if you're arguing in good faith, but in case you actually need it explained to you, that was a loaded question meant to spark outrage if the answer was anything but "straight" that's why Dimaggio wen't ham on that guy, because Dimaggio knows what's up and that question needed to be met with that answer.

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
giphy.gif
Perfect gif

Vj27

Feb 10, 2019
Again, representation is more important to many of us than most things in the game. It straight up makes most games an immediate buy for me.

Not having the empathy to understand why people are looking for representation anywhere they can get it is lol
Simple solution, don't look for something that's not there. Problem solved. If the devs want you to know the characters sexuality they will, if they don't, they won't. End of story. I instantly put any game with a black lead on my WATCH list (death loops on it, plus concept sounds cool) but I wouldn't go to a Q&A for 343 asking "Hi, I just wanted to know WHY chief is white instead of black, please explain." Stop making something out of nothing.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
When I read this I though an audience member asked a person on the panel what her sexual preference was and I was expecting a complete meltdown by John.

Deleted member 54292

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 27, 2019
A bit confused by all the "why does it matter" responses when there are so many threads here about representation
"I was wondering if Kait has a sexual preference in the new game?"

This question does nothing to establish that it is being asked from a place of representation. If anything, it comes across as reducing that persons interest in Kait down to who she fucks.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
I think the people asking "what is wrong with the question" should actually watch the video. The intention behind it is pretty clear and John's response was more than appropriate

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
"da gey agedur!"

Glad John dragged his ass. These type of figures need to be exposed out in real life around people who wont agree with them behind a screen and laughed at.

I have no doubt if we didnt already know ellies sexual orientation, some neckbeard would be asked Druckmann about it at some event

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
"I was wondering if Kait has a sexual preference in the new game?"

This question does nothing to establish that it is being asked from a place of representation. If anything, it comes across as reducing that persons interest in Kait down to who she fucks.
In case there's any confusion, some of us talking about representation mattering are doing it in response to the people who say that this doesn't matter. The dude asking this question at the panel clearly doesn't actually care about representation.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, you determine EVERY single game you play by if there is representation in it, even if the game is a shooter about destroying monsters?
Obviously not, jesus, but if I had no interest before and hear theres good gays in something, then it's immediatly put on my radar and likely buying it because I support that shit
Simple solution, don't look for something that's not there. Problem solved. If the devs want you to know the characters sexuality they will, if they don't, they won't. End of story. I instantly put any game with a black lead on my WATCH list (death loops on it, plus concept sounds cool) but I wouldn't go to a Q&A for 343 asking "Hi, I just wanted to know WHY chief is white instead of black, please explain." Stop making something out of nothing.
No, fuck off

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ohh o.
Nope nope nope.
This is a trap.

Im out.

P.S Watching this live was hilarious....people should also see John and the cast goofing off while attempting to recreate the 2018 trailer.

Note. The Tomatoes lines from Gears of War 4 were adlibbed.
Excuse me? Im sorry my sexuality and its treatment matters more than if The Game Shoot Good Dude

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
this was a slight overreaction I think. What if it was a genuine question? Not like it may not be an important narrative point.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Excuse me? Im sorry my sexuality and its treatment matters more than if The Game Shoot Good Dude
Last post I swear...then im out for real for real.

But say Game X plays really well....but we have no indication of characters orientation. (like Kait, JD and Del)
Now say Game Y is horrible, utterly trash....but we know a number of characters orientation and it aligns with your preferences

Do you get Game Y over Game X?

Oct 27, 2017
Columbus, OH
I want to put flashing lights around this post so no one misses it when they come in here to make the same arguments other posters already have.

airbagged_

Jan 21, 2019
Charleston, SC

I agree with you that representation matters, however, it seems like we are missing the KEY POINT of this thread... showing this dude ask a question obviously in bad faith about a character's sexual orientation. A better way would've been if the dude prefaced the question with "As a LGBT individual, I was interested in knowing if the main character represents any of that?" Something like that, but he was shit stirring.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I agree with you that representation matters, however, it seems like we are missing the KEY POINT of this thread... showing this dude ask a question obviously in bad faith about a character's sexual orientation. A better way would've been if the dude prefaced the question with "As a LGBT individual, I was interested in knowing if the main character represents any of that?" Something like that.
Oh, yeah, I wasn't referring to this specifically, just the dudes that came in after the fact guffawing at the idea people would want representation. Dimaggio took the best step he could and demolished this loser.

Theecliff

Oct 28, 2017
Ohh o.
Nope nope nope.
This is a trap.

Im out.
yeah haha minorities wanting to support the small amount of media that represents them what a wacky concept

Context, man. Context is key.
i think members like kinthey are responding to assertions being made in this thread by posters that representation in general doesn't matter - and not necessarily the guy in the video who was clearly being disingenuous