• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

senj

Nov 6, 2017
this was a slight overreaction I think. What if it was a genuine question? Not like it may not be an important narrative point.
what does it mean for a question about a fictional character's sexuality in a narrative that doesn't deal with their sexuality to be "genuine"?

Oct 29, 2017
"As someone who wants to see more representation in-game media, does Kate character identify as LGBTQ?" vs what that guy asked. The video is very telling.

Yeah, if that had been the context, they probably could have given an answer like "We haven't defined that in our fiction yet because it hasn't become relevant to Kait's life in the context of our story" or something like that. The fan seemed to be asking it in a prurient way though.

Deleted member 54292

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 27, 2019
In case there's any confusion, some of us talking about representation mattering are doing it in response to the people who say that this doesn't matter. The dude asking this question at the panel clearly doesn't actually care about representation.

We are 100% on the same page :) . I interpreted some of the "why does it matter" posts as directed towards the dude asking the question, not towards the idea of representation itself.

senj

Nov 6, 2017
do we know it doesn't ? i didn't, for example.
It's Gears of War. It's a reasonably safe assumption that a character's sexual orientation isn't going to form a significant narrative thread and doesn't need to be asked about in a panel for nearly the same reasons it's unlikely to be a major plot point and doesn't need to be asked about at a Pokemon Sword and Shield event.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Somebody actually asked a worse and more cringey question than "will Halo 4 have multiplayer?"!

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's Gears of War. It's a reasonably safe assumption that a character's sexual orientation isn't going to form a significant narrative thread and doesn't need to be asked about in a panel for nearly the same reasons it's unlikely to be a major plot point and doesn't need to be asked about at a Pokemon Sword and Shield event.
One of the biggest cutscenes in 2 was a character breaking down over losing his wife. BUt that doesn't count because its hetero and normal.

Also lol I have been wanting gays in Pokemon since literally forever. Hell, Pokemon has explicitly been doing heterosexual implied things since like Black and White, with the weirdo love interest phone caller that talked to you over the course of the game.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
An argument could be made than having a first female protagonist gives the new game a tint of "progressiveness" which extent could be matter of interest.

It's underdantable to label the question as inappropriate, but not as downright malicious within reasonable doubt imo. And such the response from the man may have been, as said, a bit exaggerated.

Things aren't always as black and white are they

Vj27

Feb 10, 2019
Obviously not, jesus, but if I had no interest before and hear theres good gays in something, then it's immediatly put on my radar and likely buying it because I support that shit

No, fuck off
Yeah you should chill the fuck out. It's not that serious, it's a damn video game. Your literally arguing against people that make the game, even they don't care. If they WANTED The story to focus on her sexuality or include it in some way, they would, but they didn't. I don't think she's going to be fucking any swarm dudes or females. Again, take a break off the internet and CALM YOUR ASS DOWN. Your acting like I'm saying there can't be any representation and devs shouldn't strive for it. Never said that, the dude that asked the question to the gears crew wasn't asking them because he "cared" so again for the final time, calm the fuck down. Honestly watch the vid again because I don't think you understood his answer. It's just not that type of story for Kait, I seen you brought up Dom. Well that's asnt the case for literally every other character, his backstory was rooted in that. Marcus was rooted in his fathers history and so on. Each character has different goals and ideals, coalition shouldn't bend over backwards to change a character for something they didn't already plan for. And if she IS gay or bi or whatever, then congrats, they'd tell you. I don't see why they'd hide it, but I honest to go belive that's just not isn't their plans as of now.

Last edited:

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
In other news, this is my first time hearing his normal speaking voice. I'm floored. His voice box must be spent after doing Marcus Fenix sessions.

senj

Nov 6, 2017
One of the biggest cutscenes in 2 was a character breaking down over losing his wife. BUt that doesn't count because its hetero and normal.

Well if that counts as sexual orientation being a significant part of the overall narrative and a "genuine thing we need to be asking about characters in all future panels" this dude skipped a step and forgot to ask if that character was straight or bi.

I'm sure that's a genuine oversight and he didn't have a specific agenda for specifically and only asking about Kait's sexuality 🤔

Theecliff

Oct 28, 2017
Well if that counts as sexual orientation being a significant part of the overall narrative and a "genuine thing we need to be asking about characters in all future panels" this dude skipped a step and forgot to ask if that character was straight or bi.

I'm sure that's a genuine oversight and he didn't have a specific agenda for specifically and only asking about Kait's sexuality 🤔
it kinda does - but we don't think of it as significant because heterosexual relationships are often seen as the 'norm'. zacmortar isn't arguing that the man asking the question in the video was doing so out of genuine concern about representation (they've clarified this in an earlier post) - there's just been more than a few replies in this thread that implies that representation in games like this is an unimportant topic.

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
The only reason this guy asked this question is because there is an offensive stereotype about lesbian women having short "manly" hair. I quote the manly part due to what I have been hearing from idiots whenever the protagonist is shown or mentioned in the various youtube videos.

Asking for representation isn't the case here.

senj

Nov 6, 2017
it kinda does - but we don't think of it as significant because heterosexual relationships are often seen as the 'norm'. zacmortar isn't arguing that the man asking the question in the video was doing so out of genuine concern about representation - there's just been more than a few replies in this thread that implies that representation in general is unimportant.
To be clear, I think representation is completely important. I also don't think it's helpful to conflate anything that happened here with representation issues because this guy was obviously completely full of shit and representation-positive attitudes had nothing to do with that question. It was a question driven by titillation and stereotypes about military women

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
That asshat had his camera up like he was going to film them getting flustered. Also really annoying that when he asked the question, everyone around him grinned.

EDIT: did they kick him out?

Theecliff

Oct 28, 2017
To be clear, I think representation is completely important. I also don't think it's helpful to conflate anything that happened here with representation issues because this guy was obviously completely full of shit and representation-positive attitudes had nothing to do with that question. It was a question driven by titillation and stereotypes about military women
i know - and i think the few people arguing for representation in this thread aren't trying to claim that the question was asked in good faith (the poster you had quoted had already clarified as such in an earlier post). there were just some posts early on in the thread that suggested wanting to know if a character was lgbtq in general was silly.

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I thought Kait was going to be the name of a fellow voice actor... so yay for subverting low expectations?

Charcoal

Nov 2, 2017
Maybe it's bad to think this way, but that dude totally looks like the type of dude that would ask that sort of question.

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wish that one dude hadn't jumped in at the end. Just let John continue to roast this douchebag.

WadeIt0ut

Oct 28, 2017
Iowa
i know - and i think the few people arguing for representation in this thread aren't trying to claim that the question was asked in good faith (the poster you had quoted had already clarified as such in an earlier post). there were just some posts early on in the thread that suggested wanting to know if a character was lgbtq in general was silly.

Asking it in this context is silly. Just like asking what Kait's favorite color is. It's silly. You can argue there is no harm in wanting to know but good lord why would you ask that in this situation.

Granted the guy was obviously trying to do some weird troll.

ElNerdo

Oct 22, 2018
Last post I swear...then im out for real for real.

But say Game X plays really well....but we have no indication of characters orientation. (like Kait, JD and Del)
Now say Game Y is horrible, utterly trash....but we know a number of characters orientation and it aligns with your preferences

Do you get Game Y over Game X?
How about both?

curtismyhero

Aug 29, 2018
Glad he got roasted. I am beginning to feel that I'm one of the (older) gamers that really do not care/ask about sexual preference in my video games. This isn't to say I don't want representation, but it doesn't need to be addressed/in the forefront (i.e. I absolutely still love the way you find out that Bill from TLOU has a male partner through great storytelling, not a BIO).

Sailent

Mar 2, 2018
My sexual orientation is in fact actually a large part of who i am, and many others. Sexuality doesnt define you but its still a large part of who we are.

We arent a "preference" or a choice.

Yeah but you can't judge for sexual preferences, you can judge about actions tho. Maybe sexuality defines you, but is not the case.

Oct 26, 2017
giphy.gif

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
That shit was no way in good faith. i did like the slow realization that folks were laughing at him. Honestly that how CHUDs should be handled

Theecliff

Oct 28, 2017
Asking it in this context is silly. Just like asking what Kait's favorite color is. It's silly. You can argue there is no harm in wanting to know but good lord why would you ask that in this situation.

Granted the guy was obviously trying to do some weird troll.
i'm not saying otherwise (although there's a large disparity between a character's favourite colour and their sexuality). and i know the guy wasn't being genuine.

but wanting to know a character's sexuality (or ethnicity, etc.) in general isn't silly, especially if you're a minority who rarely sees themselves represented in games media. if the question had been phrased with genuine concern for lgtbq representation - as another poster had rephrased it to be earlier in this thread (and clearly not in the sleazy, disengenuous way the guy in the video did) - i can see it being an appropriate question to ask in this panel, especially when character's in the past have had romantic plots.

Yeah but you can't judge for sexual preferences, you can judge about actions tho. Maybe sexuality defines you, but is not the case.
a lot of people DO judge others by their sexuality though, and often not fairly if they aren't straight - which i'd imagine contributes to the underrepresentation of lgbtq people in media.