• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Nov 14, 2017
I fairly certain Kait was JD girlfriend least it seemed that way in one scene. Even though they did not highlight much after that, may have changed for Gears 5.

Goodacre0081

Oct 25, 2017
lmao

but seriously, I'm seeing a lot of bullshit on the Gears forums and subreddit about the direction of a female lead and it's some real pathetic crap.

WadeIt0ut

Oct 28, 2017
Iowa
i'm not saying otherwise (although there's a large disparity between a character's favourite colour and their sexuality). and i know the guy wasn't being genuine.

but wanting to know a character's sexuality (or ethnicity, etc.) in general isn't silly, especially if you're a minority who rarely sees themselves represented in games media. if the question had been phrased with genuine concern for lgtbq representation - as another poster had rephrased it to be earlier in this thread (and clearly not in the sleazy, disengenuous way the guy in the video did) - i can see it being an appropriate question to ask in this panel, especially when character's in the past have had romantic plots.

a lot of people DO judge others by their sexuality though, and often not fairly if they aren't straight - which i'd imagine contributes to the underrepresentation of lgbtq people in media.

I mean if that was a thing of significance to the character it would be shown in the actual game anyways. Why would you need to ask that at a panel?

Jeff6851

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was expecting anger and second hand embarrassment but that was just giving the guy a hard time with a laugh.

Theecliff

Oct 28, 2017
I mean if that was a thing of significance to the character it would be shown in the actual game anyways. Why would you need to ask that at a panel?
the actual game isn't out yet. i doubt they were advertising the wife subplot for the original games before they were out - but it did still end up in the game.

this panel includes the voice actors for the characters, right? so asking some questions about the characters makes sense. not necessarily the question the guy in the video asked, but still. i don't see why a genuine question about lgbtq representation, if phrased appropriately, couldn't be asked at a panel with these guys. if someone was honestly concerned about representation where else would they ask?

Sailent

Mar 2, 2018
What the fuck does this even mean

It means I, personally, couldn't care less if someone likes this or that sexually speaking. People should be judged for their actions, for example asking the sexuality of a videogame character in a pervy way.

Sadly, this is not the norm and people are constantly judge because of sexual preferences.

Also, most of these people (like the dude on the clip) often are saying things like "I didn't ask to know this characters sexuality" when the character is lgbtq, but these people also asks the sexuality of almost every female. It's like they only care if their dicks are pleased, if not, they don't want to hear it, lol.

XDevil666

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You get to sit in front of the creator and cast of one of your favourite games then you get passed the mic to ask 1 question...

And that's what comes out of your mouth lmaoooooooo

WadeIt0ut

Oct 28, 2017
Iowa
the actual game isn't out yet. i doubt they were advertising the wife subplot for the original games before they were out - but it did still end up in the game.

this panel includes the voice actors for the characters, right? so asking some questions about the characters makes sense. not necessarily the question the guy in the video asked, but still. i don't see why a genuine question about lgbtq representation, if phrased appropriately, couldn't be asked at a panel with these guys. if someone was honestly concerned about representation where else would they ask?

But that means it's one of two things;

1) Their sexuality has no significance on the character's story.

or

2) It does. And they would probably not want to give this part of the story away in a Q&A panel and would prefer it to play out in the story.

If the question was something about whether there would be LBGTQ representation in the game in general, that would be a different story.

Oct 27, 2017
Reminds me of the time my friend asked a (admittedly not very good) question to Bret Easton Ellis at a Q&A and Ellis tore into him for asking something so stupid.

I felt a whoosh of air as my friends soul evaporated.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
HAHA the guy to the right tapping his leg insistently and he's like, nah, I'm saying this

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
i don't even get what went through the guys mind when he was asking the question? was he hoping for her to be gay or straight?

RyougaSaotome

Oct 25, 2017
The video is fine and his response is fine because the question was not asked in good faith, clearly.

The problem is the people in this thread who are yelling "LOL WHO CARES WHAT SEXUALITY SHE IS WHY DOES IT MATTER!" That's who people are responding to and getting upset with. For good reason.

Of course representation fucking matters, yes, even in our favorite shooty shooty bang bang games.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Gamers. I swear.

John didn't embarrass him enough.

Theecliff

Oct 28, 2017
But that means it's one of two things;

1) Their sexuality has no significance on the character's story.

or

2) It does. And they would probably not want to give this part of the story away in a Q&A panel and would prefer it to play out in the story.

If the question was something about whether there would be LBGTQ representation in the game in general, that would be a different story.
if someone asked an honest question about whether Kait was lgtq under the concern of representation, and the answer was 1: then the panel could just easily confirm or deny the character's sexuality, as knowing as much has no sway on the plot - and the person asking would be interested in representation anyway. and if it's 2: then simply stating that lbtq issues are important to the character's plot without specifying how would be sufficient. so again, i'm not sure how a genuine question about lqtbq representation would be so silly to ask during a panel like this.

you could arguably apply your logic for a multitude of questions, at which point one could argue why a Q&A would exist at all. the question in the video was shot down because it was clearly disengenuous.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
What an arse he came all that way to E3 to ask just a pointless and frankly unnecessary question. Dumbass..

John smashed him haha.

Oct 28, 2017
I think context is important here. I do think that it's appropriate to ask about a character's sexuality, even if the character is just shooting big guns. Representation matters it legitimizes your way of life in our culture. It's the feeling of wanting to be accepted even if its acceptance through a fictional character. The guy asking the question really didn't seem like he was too concerned about LGBTQ acceptance though. I mean, maybe he was and I just stuck my foot in my mouth. But because context matters I dont think I am. He's body language, hes word usage, hes tone of voice spoke more towards just wanting to hear about this character getting it on with other women for his sake. If he would've said something like, "With other shooters like Overwatch having characters of different sexualities I was wondering if this character might be taking a cue from Blizzard and Tracer". There's a lot of different ways you could rephrase that sentence to make it be more about being inclusive and less about you liking the thought of this video game lady having sex with other ladies. He didn't though, and I think John DiMaggio was right to call the audience guy out on it.

WadeIt0ut

Oct 28, 2017
Iowa
if someone asked an honest question about whether Kait was lgtq under the concern of representation, and the answer was 1: then the panel could just easily confirm or deny the character's sexuality, as knowing as much has no sway on the plot - and the person asking would be interested in representation anyway. and if it's 2: then simply stating that lbtq issues are important to the character's plot without specifying how would be sufficient. so again, i'm not sure how a genuine question about lqtbq representation would be so silly to ask during a panel like this.

you could arguably apply your logic for a multitude of questions, at which point one could argue why a Q&A would exist at all. the question in the video was shot down because it was clearly disengenuous.

No one said a genuine question about LGTBQ representation would be silly to ask...

It was said that THIS question was silly to ask. The story of 4 is primarily based around Marcus and his son JD. There isn't any actual reason to think any of these characters sexuality has anything to do with the story. Asking specifically "What is Kait's sexual preference" is a silly question.

ry-dog

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The whole "their sexuality has to contribute to the plot" folks have the self awareness of cashew nuts. Straight relationships are implied all the fucking time from conversations to wedding rings and photos. It's acceptable backstory, but when it comes to an lgbt character it's got to be plot relevant for some reason

Simple solution, don't look for something that's not there. Problem solved. If the devs want you to know the characters sexuality they will, if they don't, they won't. End of story. I instantly put any game with a black lead on my WATCH list (death loops on it, plus concept sounds cool) but I wouldn't go to a Q&A for 343 asking "Hi, I just wanted to know WHY chief is white instead of black, please explain." Stop making something out of nothing.

This is such an extreme opinion, that if you took to its logical conclusion, you wouldn't be able to criticise or ask anything of a dev. "if devs want you to cycle through six sub menus to get an item, so be it. Stop making something about of nothing".

Theecliff

Oct 28, 2017
No one said a genuine question about LGTBQ representation would be silly to ask...

It was said that THIS question was silly to ask. The story of 4 is primarily based around Marcus and his son JD. There isn't any actual reason to think any of these characters sexuality has anything to do with the story. Asking specifically "What is Kait's sexual preference" is a silly question.
no, i've repeated several times that the question asked by the guy in the video was dishonest, but you've also shot down alternative suggestions - where concern about representation was made clear - as something equally silly in the context of a Q&A. the issues with the question in the video were the phrasing and tone, which were rightly picked up by DiMaggio as phony. but people who feel themselves underrepresented in media shouldn't feel silly in wanting to know whether a character might represent them. and i don't see why asking about this in an honest and articulated manner to a panel such as this should be seen an inappropriate. representation is important, and this is perhaps the only opportunity people have before launch to find out about it.

and a character's sexuality HAS had something explicitly to do with the story in previous games, according to this thread. there's a subplot where a character in the original games is trying to search for his wife. so characters have had romantic interests in this series, and therefore have sexualities, and this has linked directly into the story.

Oct 27, 2017
He continues to smile and film it with his phone line it's his fucking crowning moment! My word!

My utter respect to John DiMaggio for treating that fool with the contempt he deserved.

Tribal24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Representation matters, let's not play it off like it doesn't, but this creep wasn't interested in representation. He was either baiting controversy or wanting to fetishize lesbians. DiMaggio's response was correct.

yup very good response. i think it was a bait for controversy

ByteCulture

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I love that. Respect to DiMaggio. Shows that a lot went wrong with raising good men in the last years. Everybody should react like that to such stupid questions

Oct 27, 2017
It's weird that a lot of people in this thread suddenly became mind-readers who know exactly what was going through this man's mind while asking that question.

Imagine making someone a villain over smiling.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
It's weird that a lot of people in this thread suddenly became mind-readers who know exactly what was going through this man's mind while asking that question.

Imagine making someone a villain over smiling.
What do you think went through this man's mind, given the question "Hey can you confirm to me if the only chick with a big fat gun in your game is lesbian?"

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I come in here to laugh at this guy get deservedly roasted and see some posters saying asking about representation in general is stupid because it doesn't matter.

Sigh.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
I honestly feel had John given the guy the benefit of the doubt, treated the question as one about representation and answered it as such, nothing would have been lost and it would have delivered a far more gracious response.

Sometimes people want to troll and ask questions in bad faith, but if you flip the script on them and respond in good faith, it only goes to further demonstrate your own maturity and higlight the other person's immaturity.

The mere fact there are people in here genuinely curious to know the answer to the question that evidently wasn't asked in the right way shows its a question that some gamers genuinely care about the answer even if the majority don't.

Thorry

Apr 24, 2018
Netherlands
That was a great response.

...but somewhere in the back of my head I'm also thinking that if a woman would've asked that question and DiMaggio gave that same response, ResetEra would be crying murder.