• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ConVito

Oct 16, 2018
I mean I admit that I'm against abortions in the vast majority of situations, but I would never say they should be banned.
Not singling you out of anything, but you honestly don't need to add that clarification. It's literally the entire basis of being pro-choice. Nobody is explicitly "pro-abortion."

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Another one bites the dust. After really enjoying Subnautica recently I thought I might give Maneater a go sometime. Now, though:

0GY9BHN.jpg

BlockABoots

Oct 27, 2017
To all you people who say 'I wont be touch game X' your do realise a President of a company doesn't actual develop, program, design, QA Test or probably even touch said game!!??................but 100s of hard working programmers do, so your not punishing John Gibson who probably doesn't give a fuck if you buy his games or not if he doesn't give a fuck about Women's rights!!

I've never understood this stance as it doesn't actual harm the person who the hatred is aim at 99% of the time!

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, yep, yep, fuck this guy. I liked Maneater. There are enough games made by non dbags for me to play another one of his games.

Salmonax

Oct 27, 2017
Respect to Cory Barlog for not mincing words or pulling punches. He's absolutely on point.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
To all you people who say 'I wont be touch game X' your do realise a President of a company doesn't actual develop, program, design, QA Test or probably even touch said game!!??................but 100s of hard working programmers do, so your not punishing John Gibson who probably doesn't give a fuck if you buy his games or not if he doesn't give a fuck about Women's rights!!

I've never understood this stance as it doesn't actual harm the person who the hatred is aim at 99% of the time!

He uh owns the uh studio

Stone Dudeman

Oct 27, 2017

... this is the dumbest take I've ever seen.

"Don't boycott that guys company, it won't hurt him. I mean, he makes money off every single thing his company does, but really, it's the poor artists you are hurting." Fuck this nonsense.

Oct 27, 2017

Of course it harms him directly, but it also has a lot of collateral damage. The best we can hope for is that it causes others to not want to work with him and/or he gets booted out of the studio by the board or whatever.

Merc_

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017

Pretty sure not buying games from the studio he OWNS does hurt him.

Ganado

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
You're 100% right and they do not, miss attributed a negative they don't deserve.

Apologies.

Tripwire is cool, I fucked up.

Still hate the fucker who tweeted support of Abortion though.
Well, as he still is the president of Tripwire, I still wouldn't call them cool (I mean, some of them must've known his stance on stuff).

Oct 25, 2017

So just, do nothing at all then? Keep consuming. Cool.

Scarface

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Well, I was waffling on whether or not to give Maneater a try, guess he solved my problem for me.

Absolute knob-head. You love to see when shit heels like this get whats coming to them. It really sucks for the employees that have nothing to do with this though.

Also, Cory continues to be the best.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI

A lot of words to say, "Don't bother doing anything."

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019

Imagine (probably) catching one hell of a ban for firing off a hot take, that a simple minute google search, would have dissuaded you from doing

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There have been other Tweets of his posted in this thread, along with lyrics from his music. He's definitely alt-right.

Also, just because 47% of US adults describe themselves as pro-life doesn't make them awful people. Trump was elected President after all.

What kind of take is this? Yes it does. The pro-life movement is and has always been nothing but anti-woman propaganda cloaked in a thin guise of being about child welfare. You literally cannot be pro-life and not also be supportive of women.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
Bitch wants to live in a draconian society. I wonder how he would feel if there were laws in the federal level that controls his fucking penis

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck this, just horrible.

And it's not JUST an abortion ban, which is reprehensible enough. Dude supports a fucking Handmaid's Tale nightmare state outright.

Like jfc.
Another one bites the dust. After really enjoying Subnautica recently I thought I might give Maneater a go sometime. Now, though:

0GY9BHN.jpg
Just note that unless it's changed recently, you have a slot of like 100 curators/publishers you can ignore, and once you hit that cap you're fucked. It's super baffling why the limit is so low.

(It's entirely separate from the individual 'ignore game' option, which is unlimited.)

E-i1QgPXMAAWP4x.jpg%3Alarge

AaronMT

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto

This is the hill you want to die on?

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
American conservatism is a real fucking case of smelling your own shit for roses these days, god-fucking-damn. Sure love to wave their figurative and literal guns around and making everyone else feel real fucking free all the time, absolute goddamn deluded shits.

Sorry, Texans. This shit really sucks to see.

Fuck Tripwire.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019

nice boomer ass take you got there

BlockABoots

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty sure not buying games from the studio he OWNS does hurt him.

I didn't say 'buying' i said 'touching' as in, not play a previously purchased game anymore.

Also i think your massively over estimating the amount of people who buy Tripwire game's to the amount of people who even know who John Gibson IS let alone his fucked up views!!

7threst

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
So he's at Pax now. Maybe has his phone of. Then, returning to his hotel room, turning on his phone and realising what is happening because of his tweet.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma

So what are we supposed to do then? Keep giving him money and playing their games?

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

www.resetera.com

A call to Era's developers and mods about the "think of the poor devs" argument.

So, a new Harry Potter game has been announced right in the middle of serial escalation of vileness from JKR transphobia (quite a feat in itself, considering her past record, but that's not the point of this thread). Among the usual bad faith arguments to justify purchasing the game, a familiar...

Merc_

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I didn't say 'buying' i said 'touching' as in, not play a previously purchased game anymore.

Also i think your massively over estimating the amount of people who buy Tripwire game's to the amount of people who even know who John Gibson IS let alone his fucked up views!!
You seem real upset at the thought of anyone doing anything in response to what he said.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018

"If you think about it, it's immoral not to buy these games!"

MarcelloF

Dec 9, 2020

What are you talking about??

You were talking about it not hurting him, but the devs instead. What's that have to do with not playing an already owned game?

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
There always has to be a person to whom it seems more horrible NOT to buy a game because that enriches horrible people than not to buy it because it is 30FPS, it has bugs or whatever.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017

why does it matter if someone doesn't want to play a game they currently own? i don't play a lot of games i own.

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

You said touching, but you also referenced buying the game as well actually.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
This doesn't surprise me.

I used to be a mod for Tripwire forums some years ago and I did some non-paid testing for some of their games over the years. I know a few people at the company because of this. John and I were "friends" on Facebook up until about the 2016 election.

I come bearing receipts of him being a piece of shit for ages now. I had made a Facebook post calling out anybody that willingly voted for Trump. I said, in short, that those who voted for him "set progress and America as a whole back by a factor of decades, if not more." Included in the post were links to shit that any sane person would look at and think "how the hell could we elect this person?" But no, not for John or people like him.

This was on November 9, 2016. This entire post is public on my Facebook page. It was always public from the start.

John's initial reply to my post and the follow-ups.
JRxrRVJ.jpg[

Here is where John admits to unbanning a repeatedly excessive racist time and time again. He "tried to be kind" to someone that broke the rules on the TWI forums to warrant a ban about a dozen or so times, each time being unbanned by undisclosed higher-ups. Some time prior to this I had already stepped down as a moderator on the forums precisely because that user was constantly getting unbanned by "undisclosed higher-ups" and completely undermining the job we were doing as mods.
bsqITek.jpg

And now a great part. John says he can't be racist because the pastor of his church is "an African American!" Oh, also his daughters had crushes on "African American boys."
hOQGzVj.jpg

His last two replies on the post are here where he justifies unbanning the repeat racist offender "Mike." He then doubles down on the whole racism thing by saying he "knows many racists" (I'm sure he does) and that they would "never go to a church with an African American pastor."
ayzAHUd.jpg

I did not reply to him anymore after that. In fact I believe I removed him as a friend on Facebook afterwards.

So sure, it's not quite the same topic at hand here. We weren't talking about abortions, but John's true colors were pretty obvious even back then.

Fuck you, John. You were a piece of shit then and you're a piece of shit now. The only people I feel sorry for in all of this are the employees that will now have to deal with the fallout from your continued stupid bullshit.

Last edited:

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
What a PoS.

Luckily for us, people who have these dumb opinions are also dumb enough to make their dumb opinions public.