• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Buttonbasher

Dec 4, 2017
I don't understand the clamoring to keep outdated-at-launch technology beyond six years of shelf life.

Video games don't go bad with age. This thinking has always weirded me out.

at this stage...aka almost near 5 years since the PS4 launched?

Although i kinda agree that the PS4 does seems to have alot more life left than the PS3 during the same time interval.

Generations have been getting longer and longer. Using the 5 year metric of years past doesn't really hold water like it used to. Especially given that they put out a hardware upgrade like the PS4 Pro less than two years ago.

Oct 25, 2017
Even if PS5 is a thing - remember cross gen games will be even more common now that everything is all x86 based. Anyone with current consoles will be fine, albeit without the graphics, I loved my Xbox 360 well into 2015.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not interested until 2021 at the earliest. I am cool with my launch PS4 still. Plus I just bought a Switch two months after it launched. My appetite for new consoles is sated for now.

Lurkyseas

Banned
Dec 31, 2017
I wouldn't expect PS5 to be tons more powerful than the Xbox One X if released in 2019 or in 2020.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
There will still be plenty of people in denial in next gen threads saying it's too early.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
If PS5 is announced this E3 I feel it's gonna be real disappointing spec-wise. A notch above X1X with a mid-range PC CPU & 16GB total RAM?

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Even if PS5 is a thing - remember cross gen games will be even more common now that everything is all x86 based. Anyone with current consoles will be fine, albeit without the graphics, I loved my Xbox 360 well into 2015.
I feel like PS5 this soon probably won't sell as high as PS4 initially and I hope that wouldn't start another doom and gloom of how the console is dead, or how the world has moved on to hybrid now etc.

Mumford

Oct 25, 2017
This is so odd it only feels like yesterday I bought a PS4 at launch lol

Feels like the generation just got started. In contrast, it felt like the ps3/360 generation lasted ages.

I second these sentiments heavily. I'm not really sure what the newer consoles can do outside of obviously providing more power for devs and players. That's in contrast from the jump to PS3 to PS4, which brought a whole myriad of QoL improvements from the consoles that felt almost like ancient technology by the time. Owning and using a PS4 as a device for everyday use /everyday game console still feels convenient and modern, which is a stark contrast to how it felt to be stuck with just a PS3/360 at this point in that same generation. I'll be interested to see what Sony & MS are able to conjure up to make the new consoles feel "new" to the general public.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Also this tweet:

Improved first party efforts won't always be new IPs but also about refreshed/rebooted existing IPs (think God of War).

If someone has a better translation then go ahead.

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly this sucks.
Mostly because with the exception of an handful of games, almost everything that's great that I played on the PS4 is available pn PS3/Vita to some capacity.

Don't get me wrong, the PS4 has some amazing games, but outside of Final Fantasy XV, Monster Hunter World, and Horizon Zero Dawn, there's been very little titles that showed off the console's technical prowess.

If the PS5 does come out in 2019-20, the PS4 will essentially be remembered to me as "the PS3 that didn't melt while running and actually had online features."

billysea

Banned
Nov 18, 2017
I think Spring is the perfect time to release a system. Fall has too many big games and will just split the pie. The hardware will sell out at anytime of the year anyway, so no need to put it in the hottest season.

Spring can let people get warm to the system, then by the fall bigger games will be ready for it. Also the hardware production will be smoother. Switch is a great example.

So in conclusion, PS5 for Spring 2020. To be announced in E3 2019.

5 years feels rushed imo. We aren't even at the point of The Last of Us / Uncharted 3 yet where the hardware is holding back the software. I think the console still has a couple of more years to it.

We know nothing is coming at E3 since Sony did confirm no hardware, but maybe there will be teasers later this year?

Tratorn

Oct 25, 2017
Seem really early IMHO I want a PS5 sure but they have 2 more holiday seasons before they need to do anything. They own the market have a ton of exclusives coming. I feel this is a Misinterpretation or translation.

PS5 shouldn't be released until fall 2020/21 it still has hefty legs!!

It doesn't have to be a mistranslation, there is no definition of "final stage" that says this has to mean within a year. For example in a 6-7 year generation the final stage could be like 2 years, if you divide it into "start", "middle" and "final". And if the translation is right he even said "is about to enter", so it's not in there yet. ;)

Mondy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is it just me or does this generation feel like it's gone by in the blink of an eye

Buttonbasher

Dec 4, 2017
What thinking; that stagnation in video game development is bad?

The advancement of technology happens more rapidly than you think. Just because Final Fantasy VI is one of the greatest games of all time doesn't mean that all games should look like it from a technological perspective.
Yeah, but it's not exactly like we've plateaued with the current hardware like we did last gen. Stagnation is the furthest word I would use to describe where we're at.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm one of those guys who always love to see new consoles sooner than later, but this time don't want new generation soon.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Fall 2020 making a lot more sense now. Even March of 2021 they could do.
Yup, that's how I feel. 2019 is already stacked with releases (Days Gone, Ghost, TLOU, Monkey King, and Death Stranding) with potentially more to announce this E3, so 2019 seems more unrealistic the more I think about it. We know they're not talking about PS5 this year, so it makes more sense to announce the final slate of big exclusives at E3 and PSX in 2018, then in 2019 shift to the PS5 and swan song PS4 releases for 2020.

Spring 2020 at the earliest, Spring 2021 at the latest.

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I feel like this generation started not too long ago; and I've had a PS4 and Xbox One since launch. How did all this time fly by? Man, I very much still enjoy my PS4. I'm kinda not ready to just move on yet. :-/

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
For reference five years would have been 2010 for the Xbox 360. And the games we were getting then were...

January-March: Bayonetta, Darksiders, Fable 2, Bioshock 2, Heavy Rain, Bad Company 2, God of War 3, Just Cause 2
April-June: Super Street Fighter IV, Nier, Alan Wake, Red Dead Redemption
July-September: BlazBlue: Continuum Shift, Kane and Lynch 2, Mafia 2, Dead Rising 2
October-December: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Episode 1, Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja Storm 2, Fallout: New Vegas, Call of Duty Black Ops, etc...

Barely Able

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Guess this means I should just wait to finally get one until the ps5 is ready to launch to reap the potential price savings.

I think the two years of cross gen releases have made it feel like the PS4 only just got going a couple years ago.

Mr_Antimatter

Oct 28, 2017
You can always tell in these threads who grew up in the ps3/360 generation. Five years is pretty much the norm for a consoles life cycle, before falling to second string in favor of its replacement.

With good gpu, ram, and CPU's out there, as well as dirt cheap 4K tv, Sony and ms would be silly to rest in their laurels. The xb1x can hang for a bit, but games will be held back in ways until a new console can arrive.

I think we'll see Sony make the pro the base console, and the ps5 the new top end. Late 2019 is my guess for release

DVCY201

Oct 25, 2017
Feels like the generation just got started. In contrast, it felt like the ps3/360 generation lasted ages.
Yea, I agree. I look at all the games I bought last generation vs current generation, and it feels lacking. I'll probably wait for a while to get into next-gen, unless there's a killer game.

Jan 4, 2018
If the PS5 launches November 2019 that still gives us a full year and a half left with the PS4, which would amount to 25% of the PS4's life. That seems like enough to me (especially with all the games we know are coming). Though I wouldn't be surprised by a Q1 2020 launch like the Switch.

Wololo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Honestly this sucks.
Mostly because with the exception of an handful of games, almost everything that's great that I played on the PS4 is available pn PS3/Vita to some capacity.

Don't get me wrong, the PS4 has some amazing games, but outside of Final Fantasy XV, Monster Hunter World, and Horizon Zero Dawn, there's been very little titles that showed off the console's technical prowess.

If the PS5 does come out in 2019-20, the PS4 will essentially be remembered to me as "the PS3 that didn't melt while running and actually had online features."

Is this trolling? ps4 had has had an amazing run. And the best has yet to come. Starting with god of war which was a technical marvel. Horizon and FFXV looked great.Even Spider-Man looks like it could push some boundaries. Detroit,Days gone, Ghosts,Death Stranding, Last of us 2 will all look fantastic. Anything could run on the ps3 if you lowered the graphics quality enough. Seems like an odd comment.

Buttonbasher

Dec 4, 2017
If you look at PSVR visual output compared to that of even Oculus Rift, let alone HTC Vive, perhaps not.
That's PSVR though, and given the retail struggle of selling that thing currently, I can totally understand why they would be modest with the tech they're investing into that.

Look, I'll drop it. It's cool that you're excited about the prospect of them killing it this early, but at least it seems like I'm not alone in this thread which is somewhat comforting.

Status
Not open for further replies.