• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You can always tell in these threads who grew up in the ps3/360 generation. Five years is pretty much the norm for a consoles life cycle, before falling to second string in favor of its replacement.

With good gpu, ram, and CPU's out there, as well as dirt cheap 4K tv, Sony and ms would be silly to rest in their laurels. The xb1x can hang for a bit, but games will be held back in ways until a new console can arrive.

I think we'll see Sony make the pro the base console, and the ps5 the new top end. Late 2019 is my guess for release

Can you? I didn't grow up in the PS3/360 generation (was an SNES/Genesis kid) yet five years still seems rather short for this life cycle given the nature of the mid-generation upgrades. Plus, it feels like people are more interested in 2020-2021, which is closer to 7-8 years.

TheOMan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What's the consensus for when the next XBox will be released? I'm guessing Sony wants to have their next console out in the same window of time.

Deleted member 412

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like it's at its zenith, actually. I haven't even had to replace my original controller yet. Business-wise it makes sense though.

Thoraxes

Oct 25, 2017
Gehenna
I still think they got one more holiday with a redesign+price drop to do before PS5 hits.

But yeah, we're definitely on the last 1-2 years of PS4.

wapplew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm just happy Kodera don't say PS4 have much longer life cycle with PS4 Pro 2.
Console generation forever!

Net_Wrecker

Oct 25, 2017
Final stage = 1 to 2 more years. A 6-7 year life is more than enough for a console. I don't understand how people think 2020 would be too soon. Even moderately better CPUs will be a big deal next gen.

EekumBokum

Oct 25, 2017
Really not ready at all for a new gen at this point. I doubt I'll feel much differently in a year even.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
5 years feels rushed imo. We aren't even at the point of The Last of Us / Uncharted 3 yet where the hardware is holding back the software. I think the console still has a couple of more years to it.

We know nothing is coming at E3 since Sony did confirm no hardware, but maybe there will be teasers later this year?

Spring 2020 would be the sweet spot for me I think.

PS4 is holding up great but I don't want to get to where we were at the end of last gen. Those were some creaky games. They need to launch just before we hit that point 18- 30 months from now is about that window I reckon

Oct 27, 2017
there's been a lot of great games, but this gen could use a good bullet to the head. hands down the most boring gen, very safe.

edit: actually it's probably just res bumps and little tech advances from here on out...well, lets get solid 4K next gen i guess.

EMGESP

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Can't wait for No Backwards Compatibility PS5 Holiday 2018.

I know you are just joking around, but PS4 BC is 99.9% going to happen with the PS5. Sony cannot make the excuse that its not technically doable. Its one thing to try and run Cell code on an X86 CPU vs running one X86 code to another X86 equipped console. I mean it won't be as easy as copy and paste, but they will be able to get it up and running without a ridiculous amount of work needed.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Can you? I didn't grow up in the PS3/360 generation (was an SNES/Genesis kid) yet five years still seems rather short for this life cycle given the nature of the mid-generation upgrades. Plus, it feels like people are more interested in 2020-2021, which is closer to 7-8 years.

Where are people getting 5 years from. You think people are implying PS5 in November?

Oct 25, 2017
Seem really early IMHO I want a PS5 sure but they have 2 more holiday seasons before they need to do anything. They own the market have a ton of exclusives coming. I feel this is a Misinterpretation or translation.

PS5 shouldn't be released until fall 2020/21 it still has hefty legs!!

Spring 2020 is absolutely earliest for a PS5 launch IMO so they will get two more holiday seasons in.

U Know Me

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hoping for a spring release this time. Holidays are to chaotic and launch games are rushed like battlefield 4. Start with a couple exclusive games in the spring and give third parties some time for the holiday stretch.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well If ps5 releases 2020, 2019 Will be the Swan song of It, starting feb/2020 Will be only about ps5

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
It's been a fantastic rebound generation for Sony after the PS3 (though I guess that had its own rebound) and game quality's shot up through the roof. If they want next-gen to hit in 2019/20, it's time to get the ball rolling.

Ruck

Oct 25, 2017
I think this gen feels a lot shorter than it really was because for the first few years there was really nothing coming out besides remastered of late gen 360 games.

So while the years are technically there, it doesn't show in the number of quality titles. It feels like this gen only just hit its stride last year.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't get a PS4 at launch. But I still think it's too soon. Or, at least, it feels too soon.

patapon

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Bring it on Sony, my wallet is ready. Day one buy whenever it's announced.

Can't even imagine what masterpieces Sony's FP studios will be able to create with the power of ps5 :O

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
well yeah, even if you go for the furthest announcement of PS5 at fall 2020(my prediction), if they follow PS4's trajectory, it will be announced in feb 2020...so we're already less than 2 years away from announcment

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Witnessing a key member of Sony foreshadow the next PlayStation at this time in a console generation is almost unprecedented. From what I can recall, most public conversations between the media and Sony in the months leading up to PlayStation Meeting 2013 were crafted on the basis of reiterating that the PlayStation 3 had a 10 year plan.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Hoping for a spring release this time. Holidays are to chaotic and launch games are rushed like battlefield 4. Start with a couple exclusive games in the spring and give third parties some time for the holiday stretch.

You'll get ports of all the previous Fall heavy hitters too. Switch showed how good of an idea it is . It's like having two Christmases.

Also no matter how awesome the PS5 is it will be difficult to match PS4 numbers. So mixing things up can only help.

Wololo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 20, 2017
This a very vague statement. We could still have a few years of the ps4 left.I think its open to interpretation which is the whole point. I think the PS5 could launch next year but it will depend on a number of things. Like what their next slate of games looks like where they are in their various development stages. How the PS4 performs sales wise over the next 6-7 months.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
2020 for the PS5 would be the perfect time! I love my PS4 so, so much. I can't wait for the new games from now until the PS5!

Status
Not open for further replies.